Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by pioneer08
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    So influential that no MMO has copied any of it's game mechanics?  Bout the only influential thing GW2 has is the buisness model which illustrated that B2P is a good and sound buisness model to use. 

just watch videos of TESO, wILDSTAR, OR BLACK DESERT ONLINE if yu are looking for influeces,, TESO ones are good as they actually go over many systems gw2 has in place.

Ok do you have any idea how long it takes to make these games? All the games you mentioned have been in development for years and i highly doubt they are making changes because of gw2.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Now we'll see people call games already well into development as having been heavily influenced by guild wars 2 because some features sound the same lol

When of course the systems weren't based on any GW2 mechanic or changed because of guild wars 2.  So no influence whatsoever.

You know it's all about when the game launches, not when a system was developed.  Case in point, that's why every Themepark to launch in the last 8 years is an EQ2 clone, oh wait... I think I got that wrong.

So if a game came out one day later than GW2, but had some similar feature, and had been in development for years prior, you'd say GW2 influenced it?

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Now we'll see people call games already well into development as having been heavily influenced by guild wars 2 because some features sound the same lol

When of course the systems weren't based on any GW2 mechanic or changed because of guild wars 2.  So no influence whatsoever.

By this logic, wouldn't GW2 be a 'EQ-clone' anyway?

I recall 'quests' being in EQ before, like GW2.

Or maybe its a D&D-Clone?

I think I saw 'classes' in GW2 like D&D.

I know! Its a WoW clone since GW2 uses hotkeys!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

Yep, I can agree that Everquest and World of Warcraft were far more influential than Guild Wars 2.

It is hilarious though that the OP limited this to 2012.  Like, what did GW2 really influence in a few months?  seriously?  lol

Edit: gonna hazard a guess that EQ and WoW will be more influential to mmorpgs than GW2 ever will :)

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by jpnz

No, there were hotkeys in both EQ and EQ2 and they both were out before WoW so GW2 is still an EQ clone.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    So influential that no MMO has copied any of it's game mechanics?  Bout the only influential thing GW2 has is the buisness model which illustrated that B2P is a good and sound buisness model to use. 

just watch videos of TESO, wILDSTAR, OR BLACK DESERT ONLINE if yu are looking for influeces,, TESO ones are good as they actually go over many systems gw2 has in place.

Name them for I sure as hell don't see it.   TESO is so different that it's apples and oranges.  Cross profession is bout the only thing mechanic wise that might be infulencial but that's a big maybe as ESO has a completely different implementation of the skill and really is more from TES game themselves..  Wildstar has hardly nothing shown so you cannot say it's been influenced by GW2. 

try watching this one he goes over a couple thing they are using from gw2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zchOStbwZ8k

I'd listen to questing in general

Their questing system is an actual questing system though, which seems to focus on phasing as it's chief mechanic behind exploration of course. Seems quite different than Gw2's use of DE's. I'd expect TESO's quests themselves to be more along the line of traditional quests, that aren't lumped together to form the age old "hub".

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Ok do you have any idea how long it takes to make these games? All the games you mentioned have been in development for years and i highly doubt they are making changes because of gw2.

You know it's all about when the game launches, not when a system was developed.  Case in point, that's why every Themepark to launch in the last 8 years is an EQ2 clone, oh wait... I think I got that wrong.

So if a game came out one day later than GW2, but had some similar feature, and had been in development for years prior, you'd say GW2 influenced it?

Sarcastic, I was being sarcatic.  It's late and it obviously didn't come thru.  /shrug.  What I get for being tired.

Sarcastic, I was being sarcatic.  It's late and it obviously didn't come thru.  /shrug.  What I get for being tired.

Ah sorry about that.  I wasn't sure

Anyways, now I get it, and see we're on the same page :)

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Name them for I sure as hell don't see it.   TESO is so different that it's apples and oranges.  Cross profession is bout the only thing mechanic wise that might be infulencial but that's a big maybe as ESO has a completely different implementation of the skill and really is more from TES game themselves..  Wildstar has hardly nothing shown so you cannot say it's been influenced by GW2. 

try watching this one he goes over a couple thing they are using from gw2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zchOStbwZ8k

Again you say it's influenced but do not state WHAT is influenced.

The whole questing system that you claim was influenced by GW2  is utter nonesense.  If anything it's based on the essence of TES series sense of exploration which is what is influencing the game and driving it forward.  Which really there isn't any exploration in GW2 as everything is told to you via a map.  As for the werewolf attack that is more in common with traditional questing as the aftermath is permenent whcih in GW2 is just repeats and there is no aftermath effect besides the chain DEs.  And if we really wanna go there then there are PLENTY of prior games/MMOs that had DEs long before GW2 that can be thrown back at you saying the others influnced GW2.  But really all those are just different systems of questing.  GW2 was a great change in pace, however they do get repetitive when they keep redoing the events.

If anything I'm seeing more of what is different from GW2 and draws on GW2 weaknesses since ESO might be what GW2 should have been.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

The whole questing system that you claim was influenced by GW2  is utter nonesense.  If anything it's based on the essence of TES series sense of exploration which is what is influencing the game and driving it forward.  Which really there isn't any exploration in GW2 as everything is told to you via a map.  As for the werewolf attack that is more in common with traditional questing as the aftermath is permenent whcih in GW2 is just repeats and there is no aftermath effect besides the chain DEs.  And if we really wanna go there then there are PLENTY of prior games/MMOs that had DEs long before GW2 that can be thrown back at you saying the others influnced GW2.  But really all those are just different systems of questing.  GW2 was a great change in pace, however they do get repetitive when they keep redoing the events.

If anything I'm seeing more of what is different from GW2 and draws on GW2 weaknesses since ESO might be what GW2 should have been.

where did i say a whole anything was influenced by anything? all im saying is after watching that video i hear several aspects they are working on that GW2 already has.. that is all

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Ah sorry about that.  I wasn't sure

Anyways, now I get it, and see we're on the same page :)

No worries mate.  I usually throw a /sarcasm at the end, but like I said, it's late and I screwed the pooch on that one.  

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

where did i say a whole anything was influenced by anything? all im saying is after watching that video i hear several aspects they are working on that GW2 already has.. that is all

Your prior post were clearly trying to claim that without saying it. You can try to backtrack now thats fine. All the games you mentioned have been in production for years nothing in them is influenced by gw2.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Red text says different.  As a whole no, but you are saying that ESO is influenced by GW2 yet there is nothing you've provided to back that claim.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    People keep saying that for something to be influenced by GW2, that it has to copy GW2.  Thats pretty shallow thinking tbh.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    People keep saying that for something to be influenced by GW2, that it has to copy GW2.  Thats pretty shallow thinking tbh.

People have also said that every little thing that even remotely resembles GW2 that is present in any other MMO, regardless of when developement  began, has been influenced by GW2.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Ginaz

People have also said that every little thing that even remotely resembles GW2 that is present in any other MMO, regardless of when developement  began, has been influenced by GW2.

People even say Rifts zone events were a copy of GW2, it just makes me laugh at how preposterous that statement is.

Eyelolled you consider our way of thinking shallow but how about yours? You're shallow but on the opposite end of the spectrum, you think if something remotely resembles GW2 it has been influenced by it.

I'm sure TSWs B2P or SWTOR F2P model was not influenced by GW2 for example, although half this site thinks so, TSW sold horribly, SWTOR crashed and burned after launch, they both changed models because they couldn't be successful under a P2P model, not because of GW2.

I could argue something like TERA is already more influential than GW2 because games like Raiderz were literal direct carbon copies of TERA and we've got more and more full MMOs, not lobby based garb like Vindictus implementing "action combat".

But we don't really know who influenced what, so making a thread like this is sensationalist nonsense, just like the majority of your posts.

I think the real question is how much of GW2s systems were influenced by other games? Probably more than we could count. Not like GW2 invented anything on their own and deserve to be put on a pedestal for it.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062

Honestly, until I logged onto this website just now and perused the most recent posts, I completely forgot GW2 even existed. I've been happily playing SWTOR since October, and much prefer that game over GW2. I initially had high hopes for GW2 being my next MMORPG home, especially since it was promising an open world (something their previous game did not have) and being B2P. However, what I learned is that several of the games features were not for me, and God help me if future MMORPG's start copying them.

1. Earning all your skills within the first 7 levels. Great, now you're using the same exact skills and spells from lvl 7 all the way to level cap. Nothing new, just the same old skills over and over again. Extremely boring, and no feeling of advancement. Those utility skills and elite just weren't used enough in your everday combat situations to warrant even mentioning. 

2. Level scaling. Another idea that looked great on paper, but ended up sucking the enjoyment out of the leveling process. Instead of feeling like you gained strenth with each level, you felt the same the entire leveling process. Add to that the lack of learning new abilities, and it fealt like I never advanced in power the entire time I played. I love the journey and the leveling experience. It's 1 of the 2 reasons I play RPG's to begin with.

3. No trinity. Organized groups just felt like chaos. It felt nothing like a fight that would play out in a fantasy novel. I do enjoy definitive group roles, and it didn't feel like GW2 had any. I'm not saying the holy trinity is the right answer either, but GW2's solution is worse.

4. WvWvW. Everyone including me thought this would be like DAoC. Instead, it was the worse incarnation of RvR I've ever had the displeasure of being apart of. Travel times were through the roof, the community didn't cooperate, servers didn't band together and fight the stronger server (like in DAoC), ranged trumped all, and I could go on and on. 

5. Dungeons. When an experienced and smart player goes into a dungeon and gets his ass handed to him over and over again, there's something wrong with the game design. The lack of roles pretty much made it to where if you got targeted at all by more than 1 mob, you were toast. It was just choas.

6. The other major thing to draw me to the game were DE's. When the developers hyped up the DE's, they said the DE's were random, and would change the landscape, such as take over towns, grow an army, further invasions etc. Instead, the DE's were so predictable people were botting them. Because you often didn't join a DE in the beginning, you had no idea why you were doing what you were doing, so all the DE's started feeling the same. The idea of public groups was great, but what we got was a bunch of soloers AOE'ing the crap out of everything, so people had no idea what was going on. No one talked at all either. 

I'm sure there's more, but we get the picture, I wasn't impressed with the game and didn't stick around for more than a few weeks. Now I'm hearing ESO is copying some ideas from GW2 and I'm sure it won't be the last to copy ideas from it. I see this as horrible news, as I further get alienated out of this genre. First it was WoW, now it's GW2.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    As I said in my original post, the proof of influence is in that people choose to talk about it.  And the more that people talk about it, the more influence it has.  It is a compounded effort from the efforts of the fans as well as the haters, to keep this game at the top of the social/forum charts. The results are already there, and the continuation of this thread shows that GW2 is still a very big deal.   

I disagree. No one really gives a crap which game is most talked about. In fact, if your thread wasn't one of the top 5 most recent threads, I'd of went on not thinking about GW2. Tomorrow, I'll go back to not remembering GW2 exists while I carry on with my life and play other games.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by nate1980
    As I said in my original post, the proof of influence is in that people choose to talk about it.  And the more that people talk about it, the more influence it has.  It is a compounded effort from the efforts of the fans as well as the haters, to keep this game at the top of the social/forum charts. The results are already there, and the continuation of this thread shows that GW2 is still a very big deal.   

I disagree. No one really gives a crap which game is most talked about. In fact, if your thread wasn't one of the top 5 most recent threads, I'd of went on not thinking about GW2. Tomorrow, I'll go back to not remembering GW2 exists while I carry on with my life and play other games.

Oh the irony, it seems you care enough to come here and post BECAUSE of it lol

So theres at least one, which disqualifies "no one" :)

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

lol shot in the foot much?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by mikahr

He posted in a topic that was currently active, not because it's the most talked about game.

If you honestly fail to recognize the difference, there's nothing more to do here.

Originally posted by dimnikar

He posted in a topic that was currently active, not because it's the most talked about game.

If you honestly fail to recognize the difference, there's nothing more to do here.

I'd bet that The War Z was much more influential under the definition that it doesn't have to be influential but just talked about.

I'd bet that The War Z was much more influential under the definition that it doesn't have to be influential but just talked about.

Exactly.  I posted a few times and read a few threads about WarZ but I have no interest in playing the game whatsoever.  I just found some of the topics interesting.  Call me crazy, but I think thats one of the reasons for coming to a site like this.  Some people seem to think that if you're not playing or a fan of an MMO that you have no business talking about it.  Wrong.

Exactly.  I posted a few times and read a few threads about WarZ but I have no interest in playing the game whatsoever.  I just found some of the topics interesting.  Call me crazy, but I think thats one of the reasons for coming to a site like this.  Some people seem to think that if you're not playing or a fan of an MMO that you have no business talking about it.  Wrong.

Yeah, and it's no coincidence that people found GW2 topics to be the most interesting to participate in. To the tune of 3 times as much as ANY OTHER GAME. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Yeah, and it's no coincidence that people found GW2 topics to be the most interesting to participate in. To the tune of 3 times as much as ANY OTHER GAME. 

Probably because it was the biggest release of the year.  Remember when SWTOR was the most talked about this time last year?  Same thing.  GW2 is not a special snow flake when it comes to forum interest for a big new MMO.

BTW, the most interesting thing about GW2 topics was reading the comments from its fans.  Very entertaining people.image

Probably because it was the biggest release of the year.  Remember when SWTOR was the most talked about this time last year?  Same thing.  GW2 is not a special snow flake when it comes to forum interest for a big new MMO.

BTW, the most interesting thing about GW2 topics was reading the comments from its fans.  Very entertaining people.image

No. I don't remember SWTOR having more than 3 times the amount of hits as any other game.  And, did I title it "GW2: the most influential game EVAR!" ?  no, I did not.