Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Interview] General: Catching Up with Mark Jacobs

13

Comments

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Lol
  • YukmarcYukmarc Fresno, CAPosts: 104Member Uncommon

    Yeah, yeah.. enough of the Mark Jacobs hate/love fest.. I want to know what this new game is that they are working on. It was hard to decipher what his intent was on any future MMO's. Is this one? Whatever it is, it has 3 factions.... or is this just wishful thinking?

     

  • IsturiIsturi Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,509Member
    Originally posted by Amaranthar
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Amaranthar
    Originally posted by Isturi
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

    Mark, you probably don't remember me (using this same name), but you launched into a personnal and scathing attack on me in your forums when I pointed out that DAoC was going to lose subs because you said the world was going to be zoned, and many others were agreeing. Then a month later you were talking about your new "bubble" techology to remove zones. image

    But I don't hold grudges. Just wanted to say that DAoC was one of the better Themepark games, and some aspects of it were very well done. If it hadn't been Themepark and force marched me past zones I liked very much, I would have considered it one of the great games.

    The PvP system was a good one, the best I've seen for a game that isn't "open world". Even in a Sandbox game, it's a solid option to control the brutal outcome of ganksquads such as UO had. Just not the best option, IMO.

    Your customer service was the best I've seen in all of MMOdom. Both in-game as well as on the boards, you guys had this nailed!

    The bigges shame was the Themeparkiness, the zoning of content. You guys had a great world, and I didn't want to be forced to move on from many areas. Would much rather have done that by choice, when I wanted to, and return to a "home zone", if you will. Of course, that would mean alternate game play to keep things interesting while staying put in an area. I really wished DAoC had done that. The lore was a fantastic choice, and in this it could have been more developed to accomodate it. I'm sure I'm ot the only player that spent a lot of time trying to figure out meaning to the runes, looking for deeper mysteries in the game.

    From what it sounds like, you seem to be in a good place. Congrats, and best wishes. Maybe all of the past challenges has done some good, eh?

    lmao sorry but if you dont hold grudges you would of never of even brought this up in this froum at all. Well at least you try to redeem your post by wishing him well. lol could not resist. image

    Did you vote?
    Likewise congrats and best wishes.

    Seems like a waste of red meat, to me. image

    LMAOimage I also want to know about his new game that he is working on. Can care less bout chickens and voting that are not even realed to the thread.

    image

  • NetspookNetspook OsloPosts: 1,503Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by Lonzo
    Mr. Hype is back!

    you obviously havent the slightest clue what went on at mythic before and after warhammer online released.

    This guy fought tooth and nail to keep mythic afloat while others were doing bedtime deals with EA. He just hinted that directly without getting disrespctful to rob denton whom btw is a complete and utter moron. Jeff Hickman and Rob Denton killed mythic period look where Im from if you think I do not know what Im talking about to. EA Louse put it out there when warhammer crashed and called swtor out as well. If you think EA didnt TAKE this studio you are lost period and need to learn more about business. Mark made the HUGE mistake of trusting his "friends" Rob and Jeff to run his company and dealt instead with making deals with talent and other studios. That is why he is so hated today because he vouched for design decisions made by two idiots that do not even deserve to be in the industry to this day let alone feed their families from their mistakes.

    Mythic dying did not just effect mythic , it effected all the side projects in fairfax and woodbridge VA as well like nothingisimpossiblestudios with blue exile. People pointing the finger here at mark are ignorant to really what was going on in virginia trust me.

     

    He doesn't have to know shit about what went on AFTER Warhammer Online was released, to make that comment.

    His IS correct, just look at the PRE-War release videos (mainly about crafting), and you'll find all the proof you'll need.

    Worst hyper in the industry, and I don't trust anything comeing out of his mouth. Even worse than Smed.

  • TheHavokTheHavok San Jose, CAPosts: 2,398Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Hokie

    Please it wasnt Bright Wizards that did it in.

    It was the combo of Bright Wizard, Knight of the Blazing Sun and the Warrior Priest that fucking broke the PvP/RvR game.

    And it broke it fucking bad.

     

    I watched 2 BW's, 1 KotBS, 2 WP's wipe 20-30 man groups over and over. Its when I said fuck-it and quit.

    And yes Im bitter about it. I still to this day miss that game and its potential.

     

    It was a lot of things.  Too many corners were cut.  Poor optimization in RvR.  Public quest getting shoved down everybody's throat.  Bad balance between classes that were suppose to mirror each other (ex: Witch hunter vs Witch Elf).  No real central hub for players to socialize.  Musical chairs Sieges being more beneficial then just claiming a keep and defending it.  Mailbox lag.  Useless crafting. 

    The game was rushed and it showed.  Gutting classes and cities right before release didn't help either (but leaving the remnants of those cuts LOL@finding choppa gear that first week).

  • xSyngexxSyngex streetsboro, OHPosts: 44Member
    Funny how a guy puts out DAoC.. Then makes ipad apps.. lmfao
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek LisboaPosts: 244Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by xSyngex
    Funny how a guy puts out DAoC.. Then makes ipad apps.. lmfao

    And he just makes ipad apps because its his studio because after the EA affair he wouldnt get a job as a window washer...

    image
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon

    JACOBS was so close to his player base that,,,,,,,DAOC NEVER had player forums

    JACOBS was so close to his WAR tester base that any criticism durring beta  ran a high risk of the player being dropped from beta

    JACOBS  was so tuned into his WAR player base that he insisted there be NO KEEP FIGHTS.It was the threats of so many testers that cause him to shut down the beta test of WAR for 6 months to put in a half $%%ed siege system

    JACOBS was so tuned into his player base that his company ended up loosing 10 of millions in WAR developmental costs   and close to close to 100 servers that were ordered paid for and barely used before the game collapsed

    JACOBS  was so tuned into his player base that he insisted on developing the Trials of Atlantis followed by the Labryinth expansion....both served to drive a stake through the heart of a once thriving game.

  • HokieHokie Vancouver Wa.Posts: 1,063Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Originally posted by Hokie

    Please it wasnt Bright Wizards that did it in.

    It was the combo of Bright Wizard, Knight of the Blazing Sun and the Warrior Priest that fucking broke the PvP/RvR game.

    And it broke it fucking bad.

     

    I watched 2 BW's, 1 KotBS, 2 WP's wipe 20-30 man groups over and over. Its when I said fuck-it and quit.

    And yes Im bitter about it. I still to this day miss that game and its potential.

     

    It was a lot of things.  Too many corners were cut.  Poor optimization in RvR.  Public quest getting shoved down everybody's throat.  Bad balance between classes that were suppose to mirror each other (ex: Witch hunter vs Witch Elf).  No real central hub for players to socialize.  Musical chairs Sieges being more beneficial then just claiming a keep and defending it.  Mailbox lag.  Useless crafting. 

    The game was rushed and it showed.  Gutting classes and cities right before release didn't help either (but leaving the remnants of those cuts LOL@finding choppa gear that first week).

    Yes it was. But a lot of those things could be over looked and then fixed without adversely affecting game play.

    I'd say the turning point or the point of no return was when they started listining to the players about some of the inbalances and started asking us to help them balance the classes. Remember this? The first paring was the Archmage and the Shaman. They were getting some great feedback from both sides. And then all of a sudden Mytic stopped posting in those forums/threads as a matter of fact the stopped communicating at all.

    And then we got the big annoucment four months later that all their resources were being utilized into bringing WAR to the asian market. Do you guys rememeber this? Thats when WAR started its down hill slide and Mythic was absolutly oblivious to it (and I think that was 100% Mark Jacobs).

    And come on WAR never had mirrored classes, it is one of the things I loved and miss about that game. It had 24 different classes.

    The Squig Header was nothing like the White Lion. The Witch Elf was nothing like the Witch Hunter. The Engineer was nothing like the Magus (a melee spell caster that used "towers"), fuck I miss that game just talking about it.

    Its diversity in classes was one of its hurdles it needed to overcome, but it was getting there. It was some of the stupid over the top nerfing they did that drove a large part of the community away and they kept doing it and people kept leaving.

    And then when the WP-KotBS-BW's 5 person groups starting showing up which were fucking god mode, and when Mythic basicaly just ignored it or said it was working as intended, is when I think they lost the last big bunch of subscribers. After that it was just a steady outflux that never stopped.

     

    You want to hear something shitty? A year and a half or so after they gutted the WE they finally rebalanced the class to the point it was playable in RvR, and guess what? It was almost 100% identical to its pre-nerfed build. I honestly think someone said lets reinstate Witch Elf build X.XX and just change kisses.

    They did the same thing with Sorcs and BWs. They put them back to what the were pre-stuipd-fucking-idiot-nerf and did small minor tweeks.

    And guess what the game was playable and it was fun. But it was too late.

     

    I can talk about this game all day. I loved it that much. I think most of its community felt the same way.

    I think most people could look past its problems and stay commited as long as Mythic was commited to working to fix them. But as we all know that ended up to be a very one sided relationship. And I think thats why people are so passionate about it, I know I am.

    I felt fucking betrayed, I loved that fucking game and they ruined it, those short sighted dense bastards ruined a game I really loved playing. *crys*

     

    Now I know how those bitter SWG vets feel. So much potential, and it was pissed away.

    "I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

  • HealthyGamerHealthyGamer Joplin, MOPosts: 25Member
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

    JACOBS was so close to his player base that,,,,,,,DAOC NEVER had player forums

     

    The VNboards were our home at the time.  Naturally not having a forum for a modern game is a mistake, but it worked back then. 

  • DaSpackDaSpack BrightonPosts: 583Member
    I will never buy a game Mark jacobs have been close again. Mark Jacobs = Hoax

    The Ultimate Breakdown

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Rob denton and then later Jeff hickman were in charge of war. Marc was pushed off into trivial stuff like crafting.
  • YukmarcYukmarc Fresno, CAPosts: 104Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by xSyngex
    Funny how a guy puts out DAoC.. Then makes ipad apps.. lmfao

    What's worse? Mark Jacobs making Ipad apps or Richard Garriot making Facebook apps? Whatever helps them make the capital that they need to get back in the game.

  • LonzoLonzo GoettingenPosts: 235Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yukmarc
    Originally posted by xSyngex
    Funny how a guy puts out DAoC.. Then makes ipad apps.. lmfao

    What's worse? Mark Jacobs making Ipad apps or Richard Garriot making Facebook apps? Whatever helps them make the capital that they need to get back in the game.

     amen

    image
  • SaltyBogeySaltyBogey UK - BristolPosts: 108Member
    Welcome back Mark, may you afford the same success your crafting system gained in Warhammer
  • JudgeThaneJudgeThane Funky Town, TXPosts: 63Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by chaintm

    yeah and I am the president,

    Everyone knows everything, here is an idea, actually look up the history in news articles about Mythic and you will see what killed the company. Finally Warhammer was a failure for the main two leads believed in a WoW vision, not a daoc one. Simple as that. Nothing more needs to be said.

    As far as mark, well he barried his company by his own doings, again look it up, I won't argue with the know it all's here , get the facts from the news articals that lace the internet on the company that was  known as Mythic Entertainment. Mark you messed it up and one day, you might actually admit to it but I doubt it, I think app development is where you should stay

    barried? Really? barried? Yeah, I am gonna listen to a numbskull that cannot spell buried right and then go on to act like he truly know's what was going on at Mythic at that time.

  • CSA_SaxonCSA_Saxon San Marcos, TXPosts: 10Member

    Long ago in the mid 90s, I was a young teenager just getting into the new internet scene. I was lucky enough to live with someone who worked for AOL in Arizona. So, I had a computer and internet when most people, I knew, had no idea what the internet was capable of even doing. Almost all of the decent MMO games online had HOURLY paid rates not monthly like people complain about now. I saw an exception in a game called Darkness Falls created by Mythic Entertainment. It was free for AOL suscribers.

     

    I ran around as a Skeleton warrior fighting players who were Werewolves, Zombies, Vampires, and other evil creatures. I had such a blast that it was the first net game I got hooked on. I followed DF to its sequel, Darkness Falls the Crusade, on the Gamestorm service. There Mythic started its formula of three realms fighting for relics. The sides being Good (Human, Dwarf, Elf..etc), Evil (Demonic and Undead forces), and Chaos (Goblinoid and Monstrous enemies). The full loot factional warfare was the most fun I ever had with any MMORPG.

     

    I was disapointed when Mythic posted about the development of Dark Age of Camelot. Even though it was obvious that a game based on Arthurian legends(and Dark Age Europe) had the potential for garnering a bigger audience for the company. No looting enemies corpses! BAH! They took out playing a Demon and gave me Lurikeens! BAH! I'll admit it was still a good game. Warhammer Online was so bad I don't need to say anything about it in detail. I stopped playing in the 20s.

     

    Mark Jacobs was always a double edged sword. On one hand Mark (and Mythic) produced some of my personal favorite net games of all time. On the other hand, I had to deal with Mark Jacobs! I'm not being a troll. I wish people could read his forum posts in his pre-DAOC games. It could be characterized as thin-skinned, egotistical, controlling, RAGE!

     

    He would bring down the entire forum if anyone said anything he deemed negative. Report a bug and ask if it could be looked at? FORUM DOWN! Suggest or complain about game mechanics? FORUM DOWN! Even general chatter could sometimes cause Mark take the forum down. Best of all when he would bring the forum back up, he would always follow with a rage post about the ungrateful and undeserving players he had to deal with in game production. I wasn't one of the posters myself. I mainly just lurk and read forums for good information. It was really frustrating to me having to read Mark's ranting or deal with part of the game service shut down when Mark was in a bad mood.  So, I know why DAOC never had a forum of its own.

     

    I take much of what was said in this interview with a grain of salt. I've seen his personality directly from his mouth. He typically isn't a nice guy. I don't know what happened behind the scenes when EA took over. But, I honestly don't think Mark was some kind of innocent pushed out by evil money grabbing Electronic Arts. I only hope he has really learned over the years and can move onto some good projects in the future.

    image
  • AmarantharAmaranthar OhioPosts: 2,425Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by CSA_Saxon

    Long ago in the mid 90s, I was a young teenager just getting into the new internet scene. I was lucky enough to live with someone who worked for AOL in Arizona. So, I had a computer and internet when most people, I knew, had no idea what the internet was capable of even doing. Almost all of the decent MMO games online had HOURLY paid rates not monthly like people complain about now. I saw an exception in a game called Darkness Falls created by Mythic Entertainment. It was free for AOL suscribers.

     

    I ran around as a Skeleton warrior fighting players who were Werewolves, Zombies, Vampires, and other evil creatures. I had such a blast that it was the first net game I got hooked on. I followed DF to its sequel, Darkness Falls the Crusade, on the Gamestorm service. There Mythic started its formula of three realms fighting for relics. The sides being Good (Human, Dwarf, Elf..etc), Evil (Demonic and Undead forces), and Chaos (Goblinoid and Monstrous enemies). The full loot factional warfare was the most fun I ever had with any MMORPG.

     

    I was disapointed when Mythic posted about the development of Dark Age of Camelot. Even though it was obvious that a game based on Arthurian legends(and Dark Age Europe) had the potential for garnering a bigger audience for the company. No looting enemies corpses! BAH! They took out playing a Demon and gave me Lurikeens! BAH! I'll admit it was still a good game. Warhammer Online was so bad I don't need to say anything about it in detail. I stopped playing in the 20s.

     

    Mark Jacobs was always a double edged sword. On one hand Mark (and Mythic) produced some of my personal favorite net games of all time. On the other hand, I had to deal with Mark Jacobs! I'm not being a troll. I wish people could read his forum posts in his pre-DAOC games. It could be characterized as thin-skinned, egotistical, controlling, RAGE!

     

    He would bring down the entire forum if anyone said anything he deemed negative. Report a bug and ask if it could be looked at? FORUM DOWN! Suggest or complain about game mechanics? FORUM DOWN! Even general chatter could sometimes cause Mark take the forum down. Best of all when he would bring the forum back up, he would always follow with a rage post about the ungrateful and undeserving players he had to deal with in game production. I wasn't one of the posters myself. I mainly just lurk and read forums for good information. It was really frustrating to me having to read Mark's ranting or deal with part of the game service shut down when Mark was in a bad mood.  So, I know why DAOC never had a forum of its own.

     

    I take much of what was said in this interview with a grain of salt. I've seen his personality directly from his mouth. He typically isn't a nice guy. I don't know what happened behind the scenes when EA took over. But, I honestly don't think Mark was some kind of innocent pushed out by evil money grabbing Electronic Arts. I only hope he has really learned over the years and can move onto some good projects in the future.

    That's the same impression I had of him. It seems that maybe he's mellowed out now, after being hammered for his actions in the past and learned. Maybe. Hopefully, for his sake.

    It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but it's always nice to see things come together for someone when it does.

    I can be every bit as biting as he was. But with him out of the MMO scene, my little war against Themepark developers and their lunatic dedication to game play that gamers no longer want and openly disdain, I don't intend to hold on to bad feelings against him. He's not involved anymore. Let him go, release him from this craziness,I say. Let it rest. (Not repying to your post, I think maybe we agree here. Just adding to your comments.)

    Once upon a time....

  • LongLivePvPLongLivePvP LA, CAPosts: 102Member
    I wonder if his next game will be a 3faction pvp type mmo....

    Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

  • Rider071Rider071 Utica, NYPosts: 318Member
    Originally posted by PvP4Life
    I wonder if his next game will be a 3faction pvp type mmo....

    PvP games are just no fun without a good AJ

  • AntiocheAntioche Grand Rapids, MIPosts: 132Member

    As a very loyal DAOC player for many years I want to say thanks Mark for creating a great game.

    It is too bad that so many poor decisions were made along the way regarding its development.

    The heart of that game was in its tactical group combat in the RVR setting. Unfortunately it got

    damaged a lot along the way. There has not been another game quite as good for this kind of

    gaming since. I hope some day that changes. The 8-man squad was a challenge to put together,

    but when we got it going with a good group of people it was the best PVP experience in MMO

    history. 

     

    Best of luck to you and your team!

    It is pathos we lack, and this lack of pathos makes the worlds we explore quite stale.

    http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Antioche

  • xSyngexxSyngex streetsboro, OHPosts: 44Member
    Originally posted by PvP4Life
    I wonder if his next game will be a 3faction pvp type mmo....

    His next Game? Good luck  with that!

  • VolgoreVolgore Posts: 2,207Member Uncommon
    I'm so waiting for a new article to hit the news here, so that his stupid grin gets outta my face everytime i visit this site.

    image
  • UproarUproar Canton, MIPosts: 520Member Uncommon
    If you had just given in to my demands for feathered helms, the Fates would have been kinder.

    image

  • mindw0rkmindw0rk St-petersburgPosts: 1,351Member
    I see Mark recently gets alot of publicity. Massively, now mmorpg.com.
Sign In or Register to comment.