Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Dynamic Events ARE revolutionary, I can't wait till they are evolutionary!

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

It was a bit jarring as this was the first time ANet flat out lied to their playerbase.

I agree on the bugs as the 'Hatchery / Balth-DE' chains were broken for weeks and as far as I know, Balth-DE can still be broken.

But every software has bugs so /shrug.

At a game design level, the OP is actually wrong as it was done before. Not sure how you can say GW2 DE is revolutionary when its 30 years too late and it is a really basic as well; Elite came out in 1984.

GW2 has hundreds upon hundreds of these events in a MASSIVE world.. i can't think of any MMO that has done questing like this to this scale ever.. so to me that's something.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

This is like claiming a hamster wheel could be considered a dynamic event because it's in motion and constantly changing.

It's like nobody has seen a scripted branching true/false loop.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

It was a bit jarring as this was the first time ANet flat out lied to their playerbase.

I agree on the bugs as the 'Hatchery / Balth-DE' chains were broken for weeks and as far as I know, Balth-DE can still be broken.

At a game design level, the OP is actually wrong as it was done before. Not sure how you can say GW2 DE is revolutionary when its 30 years too late and it is a really basic as well; Elite came out in 1984.

I played original Elite (and its sequels later) and i really cant see what youre talking about.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by mikahr

I played original Elite (and its sequels later) and i really cant see what youre talking about.

If you take the GW2-DE system to its logical conclusion you get what Elite (and its sequels) had.

ANet just took that design and made it really really basic in GW2.

Pick up DROX-Operative / X-series if you want to see from a game design point of view, what modern games are doing.

If you can't see it, that's fine, as game design is a bit different from the flashy stuff.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

If you take the GW2-DE system to its logical conclusion you get what Elite (and its sequels) had.

Pick up DROX-Operative / X-series if you want to see from a game design point of view, what modern games are doing.

If you can't see it, that's fine, as game design is a bit different from the flashy stuff.

Theres actually nothing like that in original Elite. Think you mixed up some more recent things with original Elite.

Theres actually nothing like that in original Elite. Think you mixed up some more recent things with original Elite.

There was, it just wasn't seen properly.

The original elite had an 'event' where you'd get a collection of ships coming at you because you became a target.

It was suppose to be a 'group' but since back in the day we didn't have the tech, they came in one at a time in irregular intervals as they travelled through space to get to you. This is just one event out of many btw.

But if Elite is too old school, I can point to X-Beyond-The-Frontier if you like? Which was 1999.

Or Space Rangers? which was 2002.

Derailing aside, the OP is factually wrong in that GW2's DE isn't a revolutionary idea nor is it a new game design.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

GW2 has hundreds upon hundreds of these events in a MASSIVE world.. i can't think of any MMO that has done questing like this to this scale ever.. so to me that's something.

EVE's incursion events have occurred hundreds of times, and EVE is a galaxy with thousands of worlds in it ;)

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76

If you take the GW2-DE system to its logical conclusion you get what Elite (and its sequels) had. ANet just took that design and made it really really basic in GW2. Pick up DROX-Operative / X-series if you want to see from a game design point of view, what modern games are doing. If you can't see it, that's fine, as game design is a bit different from the flashy stuff.

The original elite had an 'event' where you'd get a collection of ships coming at you because you became a target.

It was suppose to be a 'group' but since back in the day we didn't have the tech, they came in one at a time in irregular intervals as they travelled through space to get to you.

Derailing aside, the OP is factually wrong in that GW2's DE isn't a revolutionary idea or a new game design.

Nothing in the game is revolutionary (except the ability to buy game gold with real money in the game store) about gw2. The game is fine for what it is a one time buy. Where you wonder alone to max level do a few DE a dungeon here some pvp (hmm sounds like every other mmo except most have populated lower areas) and thats about all. Absolutely nothing revolutionary about it at all.
    Originally posted by pioneer08

It was suppose to be a 'group' but since back in the day we didn't have the tech, they came in one at a time in irregular intervals as they travelled through space to get to you.

Derailing aside, the OP is factually wrong in that GW2's DE isn't a revolutionary idea or a new game design.

Nothing in the game is revolutionary (except the ability to buy game gold with real money in the game store) about gw2. The game is fine for what it is a one time buy. Where you wonder alone to max level do a few DE a dungeon here some pvp (hmm sounds like every other mmo except most have populated lower areas) and thats about all. Absolutely nothing revolutionary about it at all.

Oh cmon.  There's gotta be some other MMORPGs that have put the RMT right in their cash shop ;)

Originally posted by kadepsyson

If you take the GW2-DE system to its logical conclusion you get what Elite (and its sequels) had. ANet just took that design and made it really really basic in GW2. Pick up DROX-Operative / X-series if you want to see from a game design point of view, what modern games are doing. If you can't see it, that's fine, as game design is a bit different from the flashy stuff.

Oh cmon.  There's gotta be some other MMORPGs that have put the RMT right in their cash shop ;)

Oh I am sure one of these experts will tell us soon enough if there is. But for now im giving that revolutionary development to GW2 way to go team!

You seem to harbour ill-will towards a VIDEO GAME. Don't do that. :)

Just stick with facts. GW2 isn't revolutionary from a game design perspective because it was done before like X series / Drox Operative / Space Rangers etc. Games that was released more than 10 years ago.

Gdemami -

Just stick with facts. GW2 isn't revolutionary from a game design perspective because it was done before like X series / Drox Operative / Space Rangers etc. Games that was released more than 10 years ago.

Oh there is no ill-will towards the game like i said its fine. The problem with facts sometimes is its hard for some to understand them.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    IMagine there were regular quest chains AND dynamic events. It would make the DEs feel more dynamic maybe.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    IMagine there were regular quest chains AND dynamic events. It would make the DEs feel more dynamic maybe.

GW2 actually does this by hearts... you have a direct in game comparison of how static heart quests are a step down from the DE system

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

GW2 actually does this by hearts... you have a direct in game comparison of how static heart quests are a step down from the DE system

Hearts?  Oh yeah the thing that let me cast more powerful spells after I washed cows

I'm a hero

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Uh, yeah, keep telling yourself that (to the OP)

Oh there is no ill-will towards the game like i said its fine. The problem with facts sometimes is its hard for some to understand them.

Facts are rarely acknowledged when a bias-poster posts. However, they are good in making them not-post or get into a larger bias post which itself is hilarious.

I had a poster say that 'GW2 zones are as big as half of WoW's continent!'. When I pointed out that a. that's factually false. b. There is a lot of posters here that played GW2 and WoW; you really want to say that?, he disappeared. :)

On Topic: GW2 took some exsisting game designs and applied it not-particularly well. That is factually not revolutionary so I guess the OP doesn't have to wait since they are evolutionary now!

Gdemami -

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

The revolutionary thing about GW2 is it's foundation: taking what's good from previous MMOs and implementing them relatively well (subjective, I know...but many would agree). 

They have been tweaking that foundation, mostly for the better, sometimes for the worse. Overall, it's the foundation that will make GW2 stand out in the months to come. I can't wait to see the competition that comes out this year and how it drives the devs.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I'm really looking forward to new games bringing out new concepts of how to incorporate scripted content and take it to the next level.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I don't have a lot of experience, but is there another mmorpg where you are in a zone outside, nothing is happening for a while... and then it changes totaly ?

From what i know, only Rift has something similar but in a more limited way, with less consequences.
    Originally posted by aSynchro
    I don't have a lot of experience, but is there another mmorpg where you are in a zone outside, nothing is happening for a while... and then it changes totaly ?

From what i know, only Rift has something similar but in a more limited way, with less consequences.

In an MMO? EVE does through their 'Sancha invasion' system. And that was 1-2 years ago.

In single player? Mostly Space Sim; Elite / Space Ranger / Drox Operative / X-Series.

Gdemami -

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Why are you guys keep babbling about one single DE is dynamic or not.

The game ITSELF is dynamic, no other MMO has ever done this before and still I see people in this thread that says it has been done before countless times, and no WAR and RIFT dosen't count, PQ is a side thing same as RIFTS rifts also a side thing both are heavly into quest hub mechanic gameplay.

Why can't you naysayers just look at the bigger picture here and stop straw arguments on a single DE chain.

Tyria is in a constant flow in all zones, things happends all around you wherenever you there or not and that IS a dynamic world.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Torgrim

Why are you guys keep babbling about one single DE is dynamic or not.

The game ITSELF is dynamic, no other MMO has ever done this before and still I see people in this thread that says it has been done before countless times.

Why can't you naysayers just look at the bigger picture here and stop straw arguments ona single DE chain.

Tyria is in a constant flow in all zones, things happends all around you wherenever you there or not amd that IS dynamic world.

We aren't actually, try to keep up.

The OP states that DE are 'revolutionary'.

Well, that's not factually correct.

Space Rangers did that and that was released 11 years ago.

X-series did that and that was 14 years ago.

Elite did that (kinda butchered the execution but it gets a pass since it was released in 1984!)

Is it new for an MMO to do that? Not really, EVE Sancha-invasion does that, Rift's Rift mechanic is similar as well. From a game design point of view, the OP is factually wrong.

What the heck does 'quest hub mechanic' has to do with anything?

DE has been around for a while in game design. Essentially its nothing more than a series of YES/NO states.

Gdemami -

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Taking existing features from other online games as well as single players and packing them up in one game is not revolutionary, it is simply just improving on what already exists.  

UO was revolutionary..EQ was revolutionary..GW2 not so much.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Hearts?  Oh yeah the thing that let me cast more powerful spells after I washed cows

I'm a hero

I don't know who has a gun against your head but that same heart where you're supposedly forced to wash/feed cows can also be completed by killing wurms/centaurs/bandits. You can also choose to water plants/corns to complete the same heart.

I'm not interested AT ALL in this crap about wether DEs are revolutionary or evolutionary. I find it miles better than traditional quests and phasing style quests, and that's it. It's really too soon to tell. Until more and more MMOs design their quest system around realtime events, then maybe. I only chime in the thread because of some ridiculous statements like yours, which is surprising, because I thought you were level-headed about this game. I would have understood it if it were an 'oh snap' comeback, but Aero's reply wasn't even insulting to warrant that.