Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hating the Haters

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by fs23otm
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Vesavius

OP, Welcome to Haters Annonymous

This site is filled with people who hate all MMOs that aren't sandbox.

No it is not, I think you just maybe prefer to think that it is and think and talk in broad generalised sweeping statements.

Yes it is. I've been here since 2006 and have gotten to know many of these posters well. While my post might not include you, it is 100 percent accurate for a large part of the people who go from forum to forum spewing the same garbage day in and day out. They hate the game before it is even released because it isn't a sandbox. When you go from game to game griping about features that were clearly stated AREN'T going to be in such games then yes, you are a HATER. The shoe fits. 

I enjoy sandbox elemants as well. I also enjoy themeparks. If the game is bad I say so and move on. I don't stick around   and actively cheer for the game to fail and laugh because the game doesn't have millions of subscribers. That's what haters do.  I guarentee you that after this game releases and doesn't end up being the WOW killer(as if their beloved sandboxes were WOW killers) the same posters will be here calling it a failure. 

Sorry bud, but this site is well known across the internet as being a haters haven. It isn't just my opinion. 

I agree with you 100%. I have been here since 2007, and look at my post count. I don't post often because people on these forums are always "If it is not Sandbox, get out, your game sucks!"

The pure hate on these forums for anything that is not a sandbox is insane.

I like Themeparks and Sandbox.... actually as long as I am enjoying my time I like any game. I don't insult games I don't like. I don't cry foul if a game I don't like is developed. For example, I do not like FPS games in general. However, I love Bioshock games. I don't go to Call of Duty websites and go... "OMG CALL OF DUTY SUCKS BECAUSE IT IS NOT BIOSHOCK"

People need to relax... play the games you like and get over yourselves.

Where are all these rabid sandbox supporters? I know a few besides me and one has even stopped posting about sandbox games entirely. So this is just made up nonsense. There are far more people who are fanatical supporters of GW 2 and other triple A ThemeParks than there are sandbox supporters.

The reason this particular game got so much flak is because Skyrim is so much more like a sandbox title, yet the developers instead of doing the expected thing of creating Skyrim Online, they went the ThemePark route. They deserve every bit of flak they get for it.

You dont see me going on about Neverwinter Nights or other ThemePark rubbish coming out because I dont give a shit about those IPs. But this is friggin Elder Scrolls and they are making a ThemePark out of it, that is just insane on so many levels.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

Good thing Elder Scrolls Online copies the same open world exploration centric gameplay the single player RPG's follows then huh?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I think even one of the mmorpg staff, who had test-played the game, said it was a ThemePark so I think it is pretty much a sure thing that it is. And an Elder Scrolls game, which are traditionally open ended sandboxy RPGs, contrary to linear story based one's like Dragon Age, being created as a ThemePark deserves to be hated.

It is like taking a piss on your fanbase and creating something completely else.

there was never anything sandbox in a MMO kind of way about elder scrolls games. Sandbox for single player games are define by their open world design. Look it up. Nothing to do with player made content. All MMO have open worlds. Adding multiplayer to skyrim or oblivion and you get the same gameplay found in any themepark mmo. There is nothing unique about the elder scrolls gameplay thatsnot found in a themepark

Nonsense. Themepark MMOs do not have open world design, they are clearly designed to funnel you from quest hub to quest hub, level bracketted zone to level bracketted zone and your character is carefully designed to be able to fight the content for that particular level bracket.

Skyrim was not designed like that. There was a story line that you could follow but you could also go out completely on your own and enjoy the game because the world was designed so that you could do that and still enjoy the game. ThemePark games, altough you could do it that way, are not designed as such.

And sandbox MMOs are also not defined by player made content but rather by open world design. However since they are MMOs, player made content is one of the elements typically associated with sandbox MMOs. However a ThemePark could also have it, just look at the STO foundry system, so it is not direcly related to sandbox MMOs.

Good thing Elder Scrolls Online copies the same open world exploration centric gameplay the single player RPG's follows then huh?

You should really read up on the game, the game is not an open world. It will have zones and instances. 

You see, in The Elder Scrolls Online, players will be given the option of setting their own play preferences. Players will be asked what sort of age groups they want to play with or what playstyle preferences they have (ex. PvP, raiding, etc.) and the game will intelligently match up players of like interests when sorting out the populations of zone instances. Instead of just shuffling players into different zone copies by simple load metrics, The Elder Scrolls Online will give players the option of tailoring the community they share the world with to their own individual preferences. The game will even remember players you’ve interacted with and place you in zone instances with them if they’re online. Neat!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/6846/Megaservers-vs-The-Elder-Scrolls.html

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Yes it is. I've been here since 2006 and have gotten to know many of these posters well. While my post might not include you, it is 100 percent accurate for a large part of the people who go from forum to forum spewing the same garbage day in and day out. They hate the game before it is even released because it isn't a sandbox. When you go from game to game griping about features that were clearly stated AREN'T going to be in such games then yes, you are a HATER. The shoe fits. 

I enjoy sandbox elemants as well. I also enjoy themeparks. If the game is bad I say so and move on. I don't stick around   and actively cheer for the game to fail and laugh because the game doesn't have millions of subscribers. That's what haters do.  I guarentee you that after this game releases and doesn't end up being the WOW killer(as if their beloved sandboxes were WOW killers) the same posters will be here calling it a failure. 

Sorry bud, but this site is well known across the internet as being a haters haven. It isn't just my opinion. 

I agree with you 100%. I have been here since 2007, and look at my post count. I don't post often because people on these forums are always "If it is not Sandbox, get out, your game sucks!"

I like Themeparks and Sandbox.... actually as long as I am enjoying my time I like any game. I don't insult games I don't like. I don't cry foul if a game I don't like is developed. For example, I do not like FPS games in general. However, I love Bioshock games. I don't go to Call of Duty websites and go... "OMG CALL OF DUTY SUCKS BECAUSE IT IS NOT BIOSHOCK"

Thank you. I'm not a big FPS fan either, but you don't see me on the Planetside forums saying that their game deserves to fail. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I'm not saying the game should fail.  I'm not commenting on information that hasn't been released but I am very disappointed by the race/area faction locks.  You can't control how other people respond but you can control how you respond.  We need to make sure that we're not fueling the hate and just stick to reasonable debate.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

Where are all these rabid sandbox supporters? I know a few besides me and one has even stopped posting about sandbox games entirely. So this is just made up nonsense. There are far more people who are fanatical supporters of GW 2 and other triple A ThemeParks than there are sandbox supporters.

I'd like to know where they are as well. I think many moons ago I got halfway excited about Salem, but that wore off pretty quick.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    The hate train has well and truly moved from gw2 to TESO, you guys are getting way too predictable. Some people like being miserable, i hope the mods crack down on it because it's making this place a depressing place to visit.

Well, if you have better news, please post it here.

All we are doing is posting a fact. And the fact is that an IP known for classless, free-roaming, non-linear exploration in an open world is putting its name on a game that the developers themselves have said will be based on class-delineated, closed-off, linear gameplay n a restricted world.

This is not good news for lovers of TES.

Originally posted by noncley
    The hate train has well and truly moved from gw2 to TESO, you guys are getting way too predictable. Some people like being miserable, i hope the mods crack down on it because it's making this place a depressing place to visit.

All we are doing is posting a fact. And the fact is that an IP known for classless, free-roaming, non-linear exploration in an open world is putting its name on a game that the developers themselves have said will be based on class-delineated, closed-off, linear gameplay n a restricted world.

I couldn't agree with you more noncley.  I don't want to offend people who like what ESO is planning but it's a messy business aruguing over opinions.

If Zeni never announced faction locks NONE of us would be having this conversation.  I could not imagine anyone fighting for an Elder Scrolls game to confine players to factions and areas because of what race they choose.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by sapphen

I couldn't agree with you more noncley.  I don't want to offend people who like what ESO is planning but it's a messy business aruguing over opinions.

If Zeni never announced faction locks NONE of us would be having this conversation.  I could not imagine anyone fighting for an Elder Scrolls game to confine players to factions and areas because of what race they choose.

lol not true at all.. maybe you wouldn't be but many others still would be. Even with no faction locks it's still a themepark afterall

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

lol not true at all.. maybe you wouldn't be but many others still would be. Even with no faction locks it's still a themepark afterall

I respectfully disagree.  Most of the arguments I've seen here and in other forums started with faction locks.    You are right that there would still be people wanting a fully sandboxed game but the hate would've been far less intense.  Most people accept that TES games are a mixture of sandbox and themepark and we could not have the same freedoms as in a SP game.   I feel the type of gameplay is overshadowed by the freedom we get to develop our characters.

With that said this is my opinion, the only support I have is the amount of people focusing on faction locks rather than the sandbox angle.  We will never know for sure how it would've effected the community.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

what i find funny is people that think they're justified when they point out all the things they love about a game or company and demonize anyone that speaks about the bad things they think about the game or company.

the people who critisize and generally just let their feelings out about a particular upcoming game(even if they're negative) have just as much moral right to do so as the people who only sing praises and optimismistic views.

just my thoughts

ps. inb4 if you don't like it, why post here-type stupidity

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Color me stupid, but  it didn't take me long to figure out Skyrim wasn't a sandbox, just radiant quests that more often then not, were akin to fetch/kill 10 bear quests.

I dunno, guess I'll reserve judgment on ESO's themeparkiness till it's released.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Psychow
    The haters have an unlimited development budget. The actual developers of MMOs do not. It's not a fair fight. So don't try to fight it. You can't win.

Actually you can win by ignoring them or posting positive things. Those haters seem to hate that quite a bit :)

I think people blindly loving ESO is as bad as blindly hating it.  Please believe me, if I had a place to talk about this game objectively apart from the lovers/haters I would jump at the oppertunity. 
  • I actually prefer faction locks. I want each side to feel unique with its own races and classes. But I don't think they've said whether classes are unique to each faction yet.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Vesavius

OP, Welcome to Haters Annonymous

This site is filled with people who hate all MMOs that aren't sandbox.

No it is not, I think you just maybe prefer to think that it is and think and talk in broad generalised sweeping statements.

The reason this particular game got so much flak is because Skyrim is so much more like a sandbox title, yet the developers instead of doing the expected thing of creating Skyrim Online, they went the ThemePark route. They deserve every bit of flak they get for it.

You dont see me going on about Neverwinter Nights or other ThemePark rubbish coming out because I dont give a shit about those IPs. But this is friggin Elder Scrolls and they are making a ThemePark out of it, that is just insane on so many levels.

image  As they say,"it takes one to know one", I am one, I came to this site because my sandbox choice was destroyed, as did many, many others, I don't think I need to name that game.

There are plenty of posters who obviously feel slighted by the direction this genre took.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    This is mmorpg.com for god's sake (sorry to all you people who believe in an invisible friend for using his name in vain) don't waste your time trying to stopthe haters beause they are NEVER going to leave. Even if the game is amazing and really successful there will still be people comming on here and telling you how terrible the game is and that it failed. Don't pay any attention to a word they say.
    Originally posted by Axxar
    I actually prefer faction locks. I want each side to feel unique with its own races and classes. But I don't think they've said whether classes are unique to each faction yet.

I respect that but how would you have felt if they didn't lock factions, or never even mentioned it?  I couldn't see people fighting for this option if it was never on the table.

Personally don't mind faction locks in some games but imo it doesn't fit in an Elder Scrolls game.  Even the era which they are depicting was barbaric and orderless, it would've been near impossible for everyone from a race to support one cause (with the High Elves being an exception).  I feel like there are other ways to make each side feel unique without taking away the freedom many have came to expect in an Elder Scrolls game.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

So what defines a Hater from a Critic?

What defines the line between Objectivity & Cyncism?

I don't like what I'm seeing from ESO, but I like other TES Games, and I am not so petty to compare a Singleplayer's game features to that of an MMO. Much of what is going into ESO sounds similar to what GW2 has done, and I love GW2, but at the same time im not comparing them either.

So which am I? A Hater, A Critic, or a Non-conformist?

I wonder...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by ereyethirn
    This is mmorpg.com for god's sake (sorry to all you people who believe in an invisible friend for using his name in vain) don't waste your time trying to stopthe haters beause they are NEVER going to leave. Even if the game is amazing and really successful there will still be people comming on here and telling you how terrible the game is and that it failed. Don't pay any attention to a word they say.

Don't lose faith!
    When all the fanatic swtor supporters finally saw that there were legitimate problems with the game they, for the most part left here.

I'm sure once all the information is out, And thus the truth of it all. One side will be silent.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Originally posted by sapphen
    I actually prefer faction locks. I want each side to feel unique with its own races and classes. But I don't think they've said whether classes are unique to each faction yet.

I respect that but how would you have felt if they didn't lock factions, or never even mentioned it?  I couldn't see people fighting for this option if it was never on the table.

I'd survive, but I'd still prefer they locked them. I think it worked really well in DAoC to make the Realms feel unique.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Looking forward to it.

I don't care about games being "sandboxes" per se (as different people seem to mean different things by that). I care about games giving me a lot of options, especially options outside of combat. and I care about those options weing well-implemented.

After all, the thing that appeals to me about the TES games is the open world, free-roaming, variety and distraction based gameplay. If this game can deliver on that online, it's worth a go in my book.  Though I have to say they got strike one on the free-roaming thing; denying access to enemy territories is not a good idea in my book. I hope they haven't shut the door on that.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't see how you can hate on a game without even playing it. I hate swtor, but that's because I payed a lot of money for it, it was crap, and I only got 2 weeks play out of it.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Personally don't mind faction locks in some games but imo it doesn't fit in an Elder Scrolls game.  Even the era which they are depicting was barbaric and orderless, it would've been near impossible for everyone from a race to support one cause (with the High Elves being an exception).  I feel like there are other ways to make each side feel unique without taking away the freedom many have came to expect in an Elder Scrolls game.

Seeing as the Lore Master at Bethesda himself says you're wrong is plenty enough reason for me to believe in the company that created the lore and backstory over some internet personna with an agenda.

With that being said, yes the lore doesn't expressely say there were factions liek this but neither does it say they weren't.  Seeing as Matt Firor is the brains behind both DAoC and the low amount of MMO's who've used this 3 faction system it isn't out of the realm of the believable to go with this style of conflict as opposed to the open conflict or 2 faction conflict both of which has been done to death over the course of 15 years of MMO.

Call me crazy but I prefer to play and explore systems in which have hardly been done over something that is the industry norm.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Blind hatred is unreasonable.

But the hatred surrounding TESO gets less and less blind everyday: people are holding what the devs say and show against them. And as others have said, even the historically over-positive writers here at MMORPG.com have all stated TESO is going to be a more or less typical themepark.

So... what? Criticizing TESO as a themepark is what? Besides true?

ES is a very popular and much beloved RPG IP and many fans of that IP are legitimately complaining that the MMO they are trying to sell is almost nothing like the SPG games that made the IP popular.

Guess what?

Too Bad.

When a developer chooses to use a popular IP, they get the marketing bump from the name recognition, which was the point, but they also get the "baggage" of what that IP brings to the table. And if they deviate too far from being "true" to that IP, then they can pay the penalty for that with the fans.

Which is what is happening here.

TESO will be/is nothing like the SPGs of the ES IP and Zenimax is going to hear about that.

And frankly, that is not unreasonable.

This. Apparently people don't see the difference here between the usual hating machine and TESO's situation.

If this game were based on (almost) any other IP or created its own (much like Rift did), "hating" would be quite less vocal. Call it "Abracadabra Online", with 3-factions PVP and some elements of semi-action combat and it would have had its own legitimate following.

Using the ES IP which is all about free and sandbox content they shot in their feet and they're going to get suppression fire all the way to release (and even more after I presume). And rightly so.

In the first announcement interviews the devs even cited WoW as one of their main point of reference for developing TESO (and the community backlash was such that they kept silent for weeks).

So there are a lot of motivations and informations for us not liking the development of this game. And this is called "Disapproval", not "Blind Hate". Of course it is as legitimate for others to like it of course.

PS: This talks remind me about an IP which already had its own sandox game and got a supposedly successful and multi-millionaire themepark translation with tons of promised features and, above all, true to the IP spirit and soul.

Go figure: they called it SWTOR and we got a bad WoW-clone with lightsabers. So, again, we have plenty of motivations and precedents to be skeptic about TESO. 

This discussion has been closed.