Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So no real time combat?

Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

I've been defending this game from the "ITS GOING TO BE A LET DOWN" crowd but just hearing no real time combat alone puts me in a bad position.  I really don't want to play another WoW, SW:TOR, or even GW2 where you just hit an ability and it homes in on your target.  They'll have to do something truly special to seperate themselves from the traditional tab target MMO because I don't think most Elder Scrolls players, post morrowind, will have interest in a watered down combat system.

EDIT:  Just went ahead and added my clarification post in this topic to this post.  Apparently some people don't have enough attention spand to read past this.

Sorry for the confusion, perhaps if you replace real time combat with action mmo combat that may help clear things up.  I like games like TERA, Forge, Chivalry, etc.  This is the kind of combat I want in a MMO.  At some point it was age of conan but they do have tab targetting, but it's only really tab targeting for the ranges classes.  The melee didn't have to tab target to land skills with DT as an exception.

When I say tab targetting I mean WoW and GW2, you rotate thru targets with the tab key and hit them with abilities automatically.  I prefer to see all combat aimed similar to how the actual elder scrolls is.  I watched that video and it didn't really clear anything up, all they elaborated on at 4:00 was that you can block attacks.  That part kind of reminds me of the SWTOR early gameplay videos where they said "You could use cover to avoid ranged attacks" and it though it was true, it ends up basically being just classic LoSing.  Not hoping in and out of cover with good timing like you'd expect. 

So I'm not so sure just because blocking is in it's going to be action combat based on that video, in short.

Originally posted by Ambros123

Well.... aren't all MMOs real time combat?

As far as tab target issues, it's entirely optional.  One can either use the tab targer system or go after the aim stuff like in TES games according to the Alpha build play demo given to those invited to the studio a while back.

See this proposes a small issue in my mind because this reminds me of GW2 passing itself off as a skill based MMO then finding out every single class has a auto attack that goes off by itself.  It's a option to turn it off, but why would I put myself at a disadvantage unless I had a ability that was linked to auto attack and limited in use?  I'm just going off of what I've read on this forum but it sounds to me like you're saying you can either aim your abilities or have them home in.

AND

Originally posted by Mange1
Originally posted by jimdandy26
Originally posted by cwliias
What? Previous ES games have levels too.

They have levels in the facet of you use a sword and it levels up yes... Not go grind XP and level up your character before you can REALLLY play the game

Morrowind had actual player levels too, and from what I understand so did Skyrim.

And yes, they have traditional levels, that was revealed way back when they told us that we were not getting real time combat either. ie we have a gcd.

The main reason I made this topic was after reading this post, I went pages through the topic and was surprised to find that no one debunked this statement which led me to think it was true.

Final Post

Well I added all my posts to the original posts since apparently some people can't read the first 1 and 1/10th pages which containts clarification.

So far what I've gathered from this topic is no one is certain what the combat will be like.  So I'll just wait for an actual gameplay video to figured out how the system works, similar to what I've done with GW2/SWTOR.  Once a UI appears I'll have my answer.

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Well I am part of the "its going to be a letdown" crowd, because it is...but even I havent heard anything about no "real time" combat. Link? That is something I need to see to believe, because even though I dont think this is TES in anything but name, I do so on what I KNOW, not what I hear second hand.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Do you mean tab targeting? Im cofused here.
  • worldspin85worldspin85 Member Posts: 187
    i hope they do have real time combat like darkfall 1
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Tab target is done in real time. Your talking about player aimed or auto-targeted.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by nilden
    Tab target is done in real time. Your talking about player aimed or auto-targeted.

Thats wht Im thinking he meant.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I've been defending this game from the "ITS GOING TO BE A LET DOWN" crowd but just hearing no real time combat alone puts me in a bad position.  I really don't want to play another WoW, SW:TOR, or even GW2 where you just hit an ability and it homes in on your target.  They'll have to do something truly special to seperate themselves from the traditional tab target MMO because I don't think most Elder Scrolls players, post morrowind, will have interest in a watered down combat system.

go to about 4:20 (or actually listen to the whole thing) is this what you were talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDPuaU1xgY

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

As far as tab target issues, it's entirely optional.  One can either use the tab targer system or go after the aim stuff like in TES games according to the Alpha build play demo given to those invited to the studio a while back.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Sovrath

go to about 4:20 (or actually listen to the whole thing) is this what you were talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDPuaU1xgY

Pretty much everything they are talking about points to real time combat.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

Sorry for the confusion, perhaps if you replace real time combat with action mmo combat that may help clear things up.  I like games like TERA, Forge, Chivalry, etc.  This is the kind of combat I want in a MMO.  At some point it was age of conan but they do have tab targetting, but it's only really tab targeting for the ranges classes.  The melee didn't have to tab target to land skills with DT as an exception.

When I say tab targetting I mean WoW and GW2, you rotate thru targets with the tab key and hit them with abilities automatically.  I prefer to see all combat aimed similar to how the actual elder scrolls is.  I watched that video and it didn't really clear anything up, all they elaborated on at 4:00 was that you can block attacks.  That part kind of reminds me of the SWTOR early gameplay videos where they said "You could use cover to avoid ranged attacks" and it though it was true, it ends up basically being just classic LoSing.  Not hoping in and out of cover with good timing like you'd expect. 

So I'm not so sure just because blocking is in it's going to be action combat based on that video, in short.

See this proposes a small issue in my mind because this reminds me of GW2 passing itself off as a skill based MMO then finding out every single class has a auto attack that goes off by itself.  It's a option to turn it off, but why would I put myself at a disadvantage unless I had a ability that was linked to auto attack and limited in use?  I'm just going off of what I've read on this forum but it sounds to me like you're saying you can either aim your abilities or have them home in.

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

They have levels in the facet of you use a sword and it levels up yes... Not go grind XP and level up your character before you can REALLLY play the game

Morrowind had actual player levels too, and from what I understand so did Skyrim.

And yes, they have traditional levels, that was revealed way back when they told us that we were not getting real time combat either. ie we have a gcd.

The main reason I made this topic was after reading this post, I went pages through the topic and was surprised to find that no one debunked this statement which led me to think it was true.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

In any event, it is "action" combat. You aim your blows and block incoming attacks. They have talked about this elsewhere.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

It's my understanding that combat will be very much like Skyrim. Press your "attack" button and you will attack in the direction you are facing.  If you are facing the wrong direction, you will miss. Press and hold your "attack" button and you will POWER attack in the direction you are facing. If you are facing the wrong direction or your target steps out of the way, you will miss. That's the way it works in Skyrim, and I think that is the way it will work in ESO.

Whether or not you can "target" an opponent is unknown, at least to me.

• It's definitely real time but that's not what you're meaning as I understand. It looks like there's no need to tab target when attacking in melee - it works pretty much like Skyrim.

They have problems with the server keeping track of aimed projectiles so for ranged attacks there might be tab targeting with autohoming missiles.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

it's ok. he obviously does not know what 'real-time combat' actually means.

odd, since it's pretty self-explanatory.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Real time combat??? Well it is never real time, you always have some delay, or you have maybe 0ms ping?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

My understanding thus far is, basic attacks and blocks are handled with the L&R mouse buttons. You will also have use of a skill bar, how they handle that is anyone's guess right now. If I were to speculate I'd think it's a tab targetting system that presents itself as a twitch system.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Well.... aren't all MMOs real time combat

Dont know about "mmo's"...But MMO/RPG's Usually use a dice roll system, Even if its well hidden

Realtime combat would actually work on a collision system.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Poor description in OP.
  • CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

This game isn't going to be WoW styled combat. As far as i'm convinced it's going to be the same combat seen in all of the Elder Scrolls titles. You should watch this entire video:

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

OP Doesnt know the difference in meaning between Real Time Combat (which almost all MMO's are) and Turn Based Combat (Poke-mans!).

Think he is refering to the actual way you combat with players, where you have your traditional Select Target > Cast Spell > Spell Follows target way, where as Skyrim was completely FPS Based, Aim and Shoot style.

FYI, GW2 is a Hybrid, you can Target players, but you can also Free-Swing your weapon to try and hit them, and Projectiles are able to be Body-Blocked. Just thought I'd clear that up. Much like TERA... without the Terribad Animation Locks...mostly.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Kreedz

OP Doesnt know the difference in meaning between Real Time Combat (which almost all MMO's are) and Turn Based Combat (Poke-mans!).

Think he is refering to the actual way you combat with players, where you have your traditional Select Target > Cast Spell > Spell Follows target way, where as Skyrim was completely FPS Based, Aim and Shoot style.

FYI, GW2 is a Hybrid, you can Target players, but you can also Free-Swing your weapon to try and hit them, and Projectiles are able to be Body-Blocked. Just thought I'd clear that up. Much like TERA... without the Terribad Animation Locks...mostly.

most games, MMO's are turn based, you also have cool downs on skills, but basically it just means that in any given time period, you can only carry out a single activity, mostly it was used to stop people with a location advantage to the game servers from having an unfair advantage over those further away, (increased latency due to distance) for some of the earlier games i've played in, EQ etc, i think this was timed at about 240 ms but it may have been less, certianly for modern MMO's now i wouldnt expect it to be over 150 ms.  But thats what i've generally accepted to be as 'turn based'  ... its actually very difficult to make a game with real time combat, in a fair way, without using some pretty heavy regional restrictions on the servers, think of it, because your say 40 ms away from the server and someone else is sitting on perhaps 120 ms, you will always hit first, unless you place restrictions on what can be done within a time period. Think it was this that encouraged Eve online to introduce the 'time warp' in combat especially as the combat itself scaled up.image

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Kreedz

most games, MMO's are turn based, you also have cool downs on skills, but basically it just means that in any given time period, you can only carry out a single activity, mostly it was used to stop people with a location advantage to the game servers from having an unfair advantage over those further away, (increased latency due to distance) for some of the earlier games i've played in, EQ etc, i think this was timed at about 240 ms but it may have been less, certianly for modern MMO's now i wouldnt expect it to be over 150 ms.  But thats what i've generally accepted to be as 'turn based'  ... its actually very difficult to make a game with real time combat, in a fair way, without using some pretty heavy regional restrictions on the servers, think of it, because your say 40 ms away from the server and someone else is sitting on perhaps 120 ms, you will always hit first, unless you place restrictions on what can be done within a time period. Think it was this that encouraged Eve online to introduce the 'time warp' in combat especially as the combat itself scaled up.image

Sorry, But No.

You can't call something Turn Based because it feels Turn Based, it either is, or is not.

In MMO's the Enemy doesnt wait for you to take your turn, you either use an ability or you dont.

Cooldowns =/= Turn Based System.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Sorry, But No.
    You can't call something Turn Based because it feels Turn Based, it either is, or is not.

In MMO's the Enemy doesnt wait for you to take your turn, you either use an ability or you dont.

It is, Look at the combat logs.

Boss attacks you for 83 Damage (boss attack X against you defend with stat Y)
    You attack boss for 33 damage (you attack Y boss defends with X)

Attack and defend. - Automated turns.

its != ...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Nitth

Sorry, But No.

It is, Look at the combat logs.

Boss attacks you for 83 Damage (boss attack X against you defend with stat Y)
    You attack boss for 33 damage (you attack Y boss defends with X)

Attack and defend. - Automated turns.

its != ...

So if Starcraft has a combat log you can call it turn based?

Each unit attacks and defends with stats. You also have cooldowns in Starcraft.

I always thought games like Civilization, X-Com and Chess are turn based.

• coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Member Posts: 33
    Watch the introductory to Elder Scrolls Online and there is combat info in there.... The combat is going to be like how it is in Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind. You use the Left Click mouse button to attack and Right Click mouse button to block.