Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony feels that F2P is the only way to go with MMO's

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Isturi

Now lets face it in my every so humble opinion. SOE I feel is not the giant it think it is in the MMO world and hey if F2P is working well for SOE then great, fantastic. Truth be told they will never keep up with the indrustry leader's that still use P2P format. I honestly do not see P2P going anywere any time soon.

Now lets face it in my ever so humble opinion. Isturi I feel is not the informed person he thinks he is about MMOs, F2P or P2P. Truth be told, Nexon Inc is the second largest MMO maker on the planet and only one single game maker makes more in profits than they do, EA...and EA makes most of its money from its Console and single player PC sales...yet Nexon makes most of their money from F2P games.

Top population MMORPGs in history.

WoW

GW1

Lineage 2

Runes of Magic

Atlantica Online

GW2

Lineage

Vindictus

I honestly

2 subs, 2 B2Ps...the rest...F2P

I dont see how F2P doesnt continue to grow and take more and more business away from P2Ps which rarely last a long time before going F2P.

F2P doesnt mean the game is any good, it just means its free.

A game being good or not has nothing to do with what is being spoken about which is who has more players or who is making more money.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Fearum

Now lets face it in my ever so humble opinion. Isturi I feel is not the informed person he thinks he is about MMOs, F2P or P2P. Truth be told, Nexon Inc is the second largest MMO maker on the planet and only one single game maker makes more in profits than they do, EA...and EA makes most of its money from its Console and single player PC sales...yet Nexon makes most of their money from F2P games.

WoW

GW1

Lineage 2

Runes of Magic

Atlantica Online

GW2

Lineage

Vindictus

I honestly

I dont see how F2P doesnt continue to grow and take more and more business away from P2Ps which rarely last a long time before going F2P.

Interesting list.  I don't know if I can take it seriously for two reasons. 

1.  G1 has never been considered an MMORPG, except by delusional fanbois.  Yes, even the devs don't consider it one.

2.  Aion has always had a larger population than L1 and L2 combined and it isn't included on your list.

How do you measure a cash shop based game's population?   

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    The mentality of ¨its low quality because its F2P¨ should end. Specially since P2P stopped delivering quality years ago and still charge.

Considering that would crush arguments that treat P2P as the superior option, I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Afterall, it's apparently alright to criticize F2P as being low-quality, but GOD FORBID someone dares criticize a P2P, because P2P is the holy savior of MMOs, and will set the F2P losers free!

Originally posted by thinktank001

Interesting list.  I don't know if I can take it seriously for two reasons. 

1.  G1 has never been considered an MMORPG, except by delusional fanbois.  Yes, even the devs don't consider it one.

2.  Aion has always had a larger population than L1 and L2 combined and it isn't included on your list.

How do you measure a cash shop based game's population?   

1. You even quoted the wrong person.

2. G1 has only been called a non-MMORPG by haters. Sorry, even the devs called it an MMO...and so does every major website. The entire industry disagrees with you.

3. Aions top population was 3.5 miilion. Everything on my listed topped 4 million at its peak in popularity, in 2008 Lineage still had over 1 million active players...10 YEARS after release, something Aion went F2P in less than 3 years. Also Lineage eared NCsoft 1.3 billion from 1998 to 2012 and according to NCsoft Aion has not earned them 200 million in total profits. The games are made by the same company, and even they state Aion did not compare to their other products...which is why they made it F2P, because that is where the money is.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

1. You even quoted the wrong person.

2. G1 has only been called a non-MMORPG by haters. Sorry, even the devs called it an MMO...and so does every major website. The entire industry disagrees with you.

3. Aions top population was 3.5 miilion. Everything on my listed topped 4 million at its peak in popularity, in 2008 Lineage still had over 1 million active players...10 YEARS after release, something Aion went F2P in less than 3 years. Also Lineage eared NCsoft 1.3 billion from 1998 to 2012 and according to NCsoft Aion has not earned them 200 million in total profits. The games are made by the same company, and even they state Aion did not compare to their other products...which is why they made it F2P, because that is where the money is.

It was originally labeled with your name, but I changed it because I thought I messed up this forums retarded formatting.   Turns out it was correct after all.  image

GW1 isn't an MMORPG.  You just need to look at the FAQ

I don't know where you get your data, but MMOdata presents a different list.   Granted it is limited to mostly P2P games, but as I stated earlier it would nice to see how you created your list for cash shop based games.  They rarely post any numbers besides " created accounts ".

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Now lets face it in my every so humble opinion. SOE I feel is not the giant it think it is in the MMO world and hey if F2P is working well for SOE then great, fantastic. Truth be told they will never keep up with the indrustry leader's that still use P2P format. I honestly do not see P2P going anywere any time soon.

WoW

GW1

Lineage 2

Runes of Magic

Atlantica Online

GW2

Lineage

Vindictus

I honestly

I am not sure what imformed has anything to do with it?

1. its one companies opinion that being SOE

2. Not my infomation but acualy Im basing my Opinion on SOE past history with MMO games sorry I dont see any of those titles that you mention in your post belonging to SOE??

3. its a very proven fact that the only reason F2P games are just that is because its ia extended trial of the game to get you hooked on the cash shop also the DEVS of any F2P know that they can not and will not make money off subs any more except two games now that being WoW and EVE and a very small less then handful of titles that I care not to mention right now.

4. To back up 3 here is my list....

LotR

SWTOR

and all of SOE games that are include but not mention.

5. Games that went defunct after they went  to F2P

CoX

and a few others that i can care less bout mentioning at this time.

6. Im on a roll oh wait I might be more informed then some ppl may of thought. Games that could of been saved if they went to F2P

SWG

and a few others that i can care less bout mention at this time. Hmmm I see a trend here. lol

P2P also rules the console games just ask any PS3 owner or X-Box owner. hmm ok guess I was right that Sub games will not be phased out anytime soon.

This comming from a guy not well informed.image

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

Truth be told they will never keep up with the indrustry leader's that still use P2P format.

To whom are you reffering?

Blizzard? No one has, or ever will, come close to that "leader".

CCP? PS2 has nearly twice as many people logging in every week as Eve has subs.

Trion? See above.

Who else should we be looking to?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

WoW

GW1

Lineage 2

Runes of Magic

Atlantica Online

GW2

Lineage

Vindictus

I honestly

1. its one companies opinion that being SOE

2. Not my infomation but acualy Im basing my Opinion on SOE past history with MMO games sorry I dont see any of those titles that you mention in your post belonging to SOE??

3. its a very proven fact that the only reason F2P games are just that is because its ia extended trial of the game to get you hooked on the cash shop also the DEVS of any F2P know that they can not and will not make money off subs any more except two games now that being WoW and EVE and a very small less then handful of titles that I care not to mention right now.

4. To back up 3 here is my list....

LotR

SWTOR

and all of SOE games that are include but not mention.

5. Games that went defunct after they went  to F2P

CoX

and a few others that i can care less bout mentioning at this time.

6. Im on a roll oh wait I might be more informed then some ppl may of thought. Games that could of been saved if they went to F2P

SWG

and a few others that i can care less bout mention at this time. Hmmm I see a trend here. lol

P2P also rules the console games just ask any PS3 owner or X-Box owner. hmm ok guess I was right that Sub games will not be phased out anytime soon.

This comming from a guy not well informed.image

SWG could not have been saved by going F2P, for it was not an issue that could be addressed. SWG died because the contract was given to EA for SWTOR. That is the only reason SWG was ended. Otherwise, it would have been F2P in SOE's stable and doing well, like every one of their games are doing right now.

Regardless, F2P is indeed the future, I spend more on F2P games than I ever did in the years of subbing, but the difference is...I choose who and what games I support because of their endeavors, not because I'm locked in and have to. And the most important part, I don't have to give my personal info to F2P games insofar as CC,  game cards can be bought in their place, a great piece of mind.

For the posters who keep saying F2P players are leeches and just play the games for free, well...simply...you're wrong... and I'm not geting off your lawn. In fact, I'm calling my friends.. they have dogs and frisbees.

• pluzoidpluzoid Member Posts: 152

Lets get one thing clear... SWG died because Sony bought the game from Serra studios and then runner it into the ground with there ridiculous NGE. The game wasn't ever perfect, but instead of trying to add more content to a game in dire need of new crafting schematics and more quests and dungeons, they just changed the most unique part of the game in a pathetic attempt of cloning wow.
    I was there when thousands of PAGES in the forums protested SOE to not use the NGE, but instead they made a new forum and deleted everyone's pleas.

Swtor didn't kill the game, SOE did, just like they killed Matrix Online they bought from sera, if there ever was a mmo to work it should of been The Matrix... It's only planet side and eq that saves SOE from being the worst mmo makers in the industry....

Originally posted by pluzoid

Lets get one thing clear... SWG died because Sony bought the game from Serra studios and then runner it into the ground with there ridiculous NGE. The game wasn't ever perfect, but instead of trying to add more content to a game in dire need of new crafting schematics and more quests and dungeons, they just changed the most unique part of the game in a pathetic attempt of cloning wow.
    I was there when thousands of PAGES in the forums protested SOE to not use the NGE, but instead they made a new forum and deleted everyone's pleas.

Swtor didn't kill the game, SOE did, just like they killed Matrix Online they bought from sera, if there ever was a mmo to work it should of been The Matrix... It's only planet side and eq that saves SOE from being the worst mmo makers in the industry....

I'm not going to defend SOE in regards to SWG, but simply put, the license given to them by Lucas expired, that is why the game ended...NO OTHER REASON. Lucas ended SWG, not SOE.

But back on topic...

If SWG existed today and would be F2P (like all SOE games) I would be playing and supporting it, because I liked the original game and it's crafting. I liked visiting it once in a while, but not enough to lock myself up with a sub.

Same would go for DAoC, if it was F2P, I would bite the bullet and maybe give EA money if they promise it goes to Mythic, lol.

WoW

GW1

Lineage 2

Runes of Magic

Atlantica Online

GW2

Lineage

Vindictus

I honestly

That pretty much sums it all up doesnt it. Not sure what being informed has to do with your opinion.

It isnt just SoE. EA has stated the same thing, the MMO industry is moving away from Subscriptions. NCsoft, stated that Subscription based gaming is an outdated way of thinking, Nexus, same thing.

So, EA the single largest game maker on the planet, Nexon the second largest gaming company on the planet, NCSoft who has made more MMORPGS than almost any other company and now SOE.

And if I were to include the smaller companies that have said it, Funcom and Turbine...who is left? Blizzard? Trion? wow, so many companies out the genre...

WoW

GW1

Lineage 2

Runes of Magic

Atlantica Online

GW2

Lineage

Vindictus

I honestly

That pretty much sums it all up doesnt it. Not sure what being informed has to do with your opinion.

It isnt just SoE. EA has stated the same thing, the MMO industry is moving away from Subscriptions. NCsoft, stated that Subscription based gaming is an outdated way of thinking, Nexus, same thing.

So, EA the single largest game maker on the planet, Nexon the second largest gaming company on the planet, NCSoft who has made more MMORPGS than almost any other company and now SOE.

And if I were to include the smaller companies that have said it, Funcom and Turbine...who is left? Blizzard? Trion? wow, so many companies out the genre...

There is a old saying that applies here "If you cant hang with the BIG dogs then get off the porch."

That is imformative to say the least. I still dont know what being imformed has anything to do with it?? Its mmo gaming not rocket since after all the BIG dogs are Blizz and Trion and if all those other MMO companies cant hang with Blizz and Trion then they need to and they got off the porch because they could not hang.

WoW

GW1

Lineage 2

Runes of Magic

Atlantica Online

GW2

Lineage

Vindictus

I honestly

There is a old saying that applies here "If you cant hang with the BIG dogs then get off the porch."

That is imformative to say the least. I still dont know what being imformed has anything to do with it?? Its mmo gaming not rocket since after all the BIG dogs are Blizz and Trion and if all those other MMO companies cant hang with Blizz and Trion then they need to and they got off the porch because they could not hang.

Last I checked, Blizz was being sold by Vivendi for the last year, without a single buyer interested.

Trion is a good company, but a big dog? no.

All the other companies mentioned, though none mentioned Perfect World from China, which is putting out successful mmos left and right, not to mention buying NA dev companies at a similar pace.

I definitely see the F2P market as the future, without a doubt. In your analogy of the porch, that porch is delapidated and about to be condemned, stay there at your own risk.

The big dogs are Blizzard and Trion?!?

Nexon makes a larger profit than both of those companies COMBINED from ALL SOURCES OF REVENUE.

You can total up all of Trions MMORPGs and they dont total GW2s playerbase...and GW1 had twice that...Trion is small and NCSoft made a larger profit last year than Trion made total before Profits.

As I said, your opinion and the word informed do not go hand in hand...like you keep repeating, you dont know what being informed has to do with your own opinion.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    I see it only as optional for any new game coming from now on. WoW will stay P2P until it will stop to be profitable and I doubt it will happen anytime soon. They do not have to worry about it for a long time, so why would they change, but any new game does not have a chance. F2P is here to stay and will be the option introduced along with P2P.

I don't know why WoW doesn't go F2P. I may be totally wrong, but I think it would devistate a lot of the F2P games that are currently out. People are already spending a ton of money on their mounts/pets, so I know people would do the same with fluff items.I may be getting cheap in my old age, but I won't pay a monthly fee anymore since there are some good F2P titles now. But, if WoW went F2P, I would go back to it in a heartbeat since it is the most polished game on the market, with best support and in my opinion, the best lore and content.

The big dogs are Blizzard and Trion?!?

Nexon makes a larger profit than both of those companies COMBINED from ALL SOURCES OF REVENUE.

You can total up all of Trions MMORPGs and they dont total GW2s playerbase...and GW1 had twice that...Trion is small and NCSoft made a larger profit last year than Trion made total before Profits.

As I said, your opinion and the word informed do not go hand in hand...like you keep repeating, you dont know what being informed has to do with your own opinion.

Well since you seem to be so well informed do you have links to these claims? Im not sure why you have to defend infomation on each post? I find mmo news to share with this comunity. Like it or leave it. Dont make a diffrence to me. Information is my speciality.

• repsterrepster Member Posts: 4
    LoL... EA is a small fish. Nexon put out an offer to buy EA Games a little while back.

MMO History > Ragnarok Lv 69 Wizard, Tibia > Lv 38, Runescape > Lv 32 Fishing, Eve Online > Lv 14, Maplestory Lv 147 Evan

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    I see it only as optional for any new game coming from now on. WoW will stay P2P until it will stop to be profitable and I doubt it will happen anytime soon. They do not have to worry about it for a long time, so why would they change, but any new game does not have a chance. F2P is here to stay and will be the option introduced along with P2P.

I don't know why WoW doesn't go F2P. I may be totally wrong, but I think it would devistate a lot of the F2P games that are currently out. People are already spending a ton of money on their mounts/pets, so I know people would do the same with fluff items.I may be getting cheap in my old age, but I won't pay a monthly fee anymore since there are some good F2P titles now. But, if WoW went F2P, I would go back to it in a heartbeat since it is the most polished game on the market, with best support and in my opinion, the best lore and content.

They're already "robbing people blind" of their cash as it is using P2P, why would they take such a risky maneuver that could devastate those profits? Granted, that's not to say it'll NEVER happen; WoW will eventually lose steam, but right now they aren't in any hurry to do so mesatinks.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

B2P seems to be the way to go I think. I find myself having trouble commiting to a sub these days. For one, I just don't have the time like I had when I was younger to play 24/7. Also there are just too many good games to play, I feel too commited to a sub game.

Right now I enjoy playing TSW, GW2, PoE(though its not an MMO), and Tera a bit (not F2P yet but soon).

And to anyone who keeps saying Smedly should be fired. If he was really costing the company money, i'm sure he would have been let go a long time ago.

That is one of the reasons I liked Maplestory over Ragnarok. Being F2P and not subscription I always had the freedom to quit the game for a few months while I was busy with a project or school then come back later. As long as you login to your character every so often they will never delete it in F2P games.

MMO History > Ragnarok Lv 69 Wizard, Tibia > Lv 38, Runescape > Lv 32 Fishing, Eve Online > Lv 14, Maplestory Lv 147 Evan

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Truth be told they will never keep up with the indrustry leader's that still use P2P format.

To whom are you reffering?

Blizzard? No one has, or ever will, come close to that "leader".

CCP? PS2 has nearly twice as many people logging in every week as Eve has subs.

Trion? See above.

Who else should we be looking to?

I am not surprised. Eve is quite a niche game. One look at xfire numbers and it is very clear.

Aside from WOW, i doubt anyone will find big sucess in p2p.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by repster
    LoL... EA is a small fish. Nexon put out an offer to buy EA Games a little while back.
    Um, maybe as a joke or something.

A good year for Nexon is making over 1 billion in revenue a year, a bad year for EA is making under 4 billion in revenue a year.

PopCap Games(which EA owns) makes as much revenue a year as Nexon.

Do you live in a black hole? It was on Forbes...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/04/26/ea-spikes-on-report-japans-nexon-makes-takeover-bid/

Just google it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nexon+bid+to+buy+ea

EA is probably going bankrupt within a few years. Revenue doesn't matter if the company is doing terrible. Look at Zynga, even when they were bringing in over a billion in revenue per year off their social games they still lost money!

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Only the cream of the crop can charge subs for MMOs.  Average to below average games cannot in this competitive market.  We will always see subscription MMOs but they will be the best there is.  Others who don't offer as much will have to be F2P.  Players on average can pay one subscription but aren't willing to pay for more than one.

No...

Nexon's bid was a joke.

Nexon has made 1.2 billion in profits each of the last two years. EA has been averaging around 1.4 billion a year.

EA is still the largest in the world, Nexon is #2 in the world. They made a bid to get people to actually LOOK at Nexon, and how they got where they did to shake up the MMO world, they are the reason why so many companies in the genre took a serious look at the F2P market, and saw that the real money is not in the subscription field unless you have a massive product like WoW.

If you dont have millions of subscribers, you will make far more with a good F2P offer.

Anyway, before Nexons bid, few took F2P seriously as a money maker...becaue most companies are short-sighted and locked on old thinking and never REALLY LOOKED at what Asian and some European companies were making...I mean come on Runes of Magic was making more money that FUNCOM was making total for 3 YEARS STRAIGHT! One F2P game, making more than every game Funcom had going.