Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Sony Online Entertainment Announces New Partnership

2»

Comments

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Why does the MLG people sound familiar? were these the guys who helped blizzard when they implemented the arena system to make Wow PVP an e-sport?

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

LOL

Wow, I know this isnt a MMO but the amount of........dislike is surprising.

Its not broken, not even close to it. Yeah there are hackers but much less than any of the Battlefield games for example. Ive had questionable things happen. But for the most part I get some clean gaming.

And Ive been playing it a lot. I find myself sending money and feeling Im actually getting my money worth. $40 so far and damn near dropped another $20 tonite.

I think for me this is has been some of the most fun Ive had in gaming in quit awhile.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I don't have much against Esports. Granted I think the entire idea is kind of silly, but I've never hated it. In fact, I've recently gotten into watching Natural Selection 2 tourneys, and there's some pretty damn intense games. HOWEVER...

MLG ruins games for amateurs. Period. Just look at SC2 online and WoW's arenas; if you're not playing professionally then you may as well not exist (especially in SC2, it's catered to ultra-competitive play). They also completely ruined Gears of War 3's online MP. 

MLG is the RPGA of gaming.

Also, how is a hack-ridden (going by word of mouth on that one since I don't play) MMOFPS possibly going to be made suitable for MLG events? It just doesn't seem to be a good fit. SC2, WoW arenas, CoD, Battlefield, hell even CoH 1-2 or DoW 1-2 would be / are much more easily fit into the MLG mold.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    MLG ruins games for amateurs. Period. Just look at SC2 online and WoW's arenas; if you're not playing professionally then you may as well not exist (especially in SC2, it's catered to ultra-competitive play). They also completely ruined Gears of War 3's online MP.

How exactly does MLG ruin games for amateurs ?

Unless MLG forces games to change mechanisums, and normally in that case the occurance of a change is required for balance, and competitive play has exposed the balance issue. Thats a good thing.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Plantside 2 sucked, IMO.

I can run the game on high settings. However, it's not ideal for Call of Duty-type speed and accuracy.

I can get Planetside 2 to perform better on low settings. However, it looks like total ass and still doesn't compare to the performance of something like Black Ops 2.

I know the maps are much bigger, but man...    boring / clunky game. Not fun.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

E-Sport for this game is fine, though. PS2 is not a MMO.

If they offered E-Sport for EverQuest Next, I'd be angry.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

Elves and quests aren't a prerequisite to being an MMO....  

Just seeing  the amount of people on these forums who simply refuse  to acknowledge that Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS, or declare it failed because they liked Call of Duty better, reminds me I really should stop reading posts after I read these articles.   You guys, comedians.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Bad move MLG, really really bad move... PS2 as an eSport would be a real joke. Dont make the same mistake that NASL made with Tribes. You can do better than that, get Dota2 instead of this crappy game.
  • BattlesABattlesA Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I thought  before clicking the link that they teamed up with EA just to ensure the games demise.
  • uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

You mean the group of people that have been caught multiple times not only cheating, but creating the cheats for multiple first person shooters has partnered with a failed reluanch of a failed MMOFPS that is now riddled with cheats?

*grabs popcorn*

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir
    I have zero experience with hackers dominating or griefing me in the game.  There have been a few occasions where I thought the death was impossible, but the scenario didn't repeat itself until I thought I couldn't play the game.  I never experienced the widespread panic that seemed to afflict a lot of other players in PS2.  I'm not saying it didn't happen, but that seriously can't be used as an excuse to call it the end for the game.

I thought same thing until I saw a hack in action and learned more about it.  A lot of these people just use it to do slightly more damage, not have to worry about recoil, reload, to auto aim at your head, and also to see through walls so they know you are coming way ahead of time.  It is nothing that you as a normal player would notice.  The real problem is that the hack I am referring to was created back in APRIL 2012 and it required NO UPDATES to continue working undetected since then.  That is about 6 months before the games release.  They have done nothing to stop it, and they can only detect it when players use it to teleport or get excessive (>10) K:D via headshots.

There will always be people trying to hack and exploit these games, because its a good game.  The real problem is SOE is not fighting back at all via detection and is not securing their system to prevent teleport and reload hacks; that is very bad.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I had great fun playing PS2...

Now they are going in this direction maybe they will put more resources into combating any hacking going on.

This can only be a good thing for the game.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Originally posted by wormywyrm
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir
    I have zero experience with hackers dominating or griefing me in the game.  There have been a few occasions where I thought the death was impossible, but the scenario didn't repeat itself until I thought I couldn't play the game.  I never experienced the widespread panic that seemed to afflict a lot of other players in PS2.  I'm not saying it didn't happen, but that seriously can't be used as an excuse to call it the end for the game.

I thought same thing until I saw a hack in action and learned more about it.  A lot of these people just use it to do slightly more damage, not have to worry about recoil, reload, to auto aim at your head, and also to see through walls so they know you are coming way ahead of time.  It is nothing that you as a normal player would notice.  The real problem is that the hack I am referring to was created back in APRIL 2012 and it required NO UPDATES to continue working undetected since then.  That is about 6 months before the games release.  They have done nothing to stop it, and they can only detect it when players use it to teleport or get excessive (>10) K:D via headshots.

There will always be people trying to hack and exploit these games, because its a good game.  The real problem is SOE is not fighting back at all via detection and is not securing their system to prevent teleport and reload hacks; that is very bad.

The thing is, you can't hack at a Lan (well you could try, chances are you will be caught and shamed), and when the tourneys happen, people will be able to see the cheaters clear as day, differences in world and event statistics will show the difference between net gaming hackers and pro's.

I'm 100% sure that SOE is fighting back against hackers, but it's a long process, and being a free game it makes it harder due to the fact that even if they ban someone, they can comeback pretty much instantly.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by mmoski

I'm 100% sure that SOE is fighting back against hackers, but it's a long process, and being a free game it makes it harder due to the fact that even if they ban someone, they can comeback pretty much instantly.

Go find some forums where these hackers get the hacks and discuss them.  There are hundreds of people posting and many asking each other if anyone has gotten banned...  NONE have gotten banned except for blatent teleporting.  Maybe they are working on it, but there has been 0 displayed progress so far.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692
    PleaseSide currently has nothing what it takes to be an esport, this should be intresting, especially since SOE has tried this sort of thing before in PS1...

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.