Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLAYER BASE Important?

Player Base

Is this important? what makes it important on a mmorpg game?

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Playing MMOs with RL friends is fun; GW2 / WoW

Playing MMOs solo can also be fun; SWTOR.

All depends on the game but a fun game is a fun game, regardless of the genre.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    And now someone new to the boards asks a question, yes playerbase is important to revenue and therefore content developement in your MMO. Community is the social aspect of the playerbase which is important to us all.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    It depends on the game...Some games I dont care if Im the only player on the server (and sometimes this is preferred)...The one thing I do know though is that when it comes to player base quality>>>>>>quantity.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not at all for me. I never fail to find someone to play with, or make friends in a game.

If you meet someone you don't like for any reasons, hit the "quit" button.

The actual game makes more difference than the player base.

• renrinkenrenrinken Member Posts: 29

Just to point out Player Base and Community are two seperate things. One is number of people playing and two is how these people interact with each other.

To me both are incredibly important. I am a player who refuses to play solo MMOs. Thats why I dropped a game like GW2 so quickly, even though pve seemed fun, there was absolutely no insentive to group up. So having a large player base is important to me. Nothing is more horrible then playing a empty group based game.

As for community, it what keeps me playing. There a reason I keep playing games like FF11 and TERA. Both have mostly dated content, but community is so great I can just waste 6 hours talking to random people. Without a good community I typically stop playing a MMO in under a week.

• XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Depends on the game, yep. A game such as SWTOR I would not care what the player base is since most of it you can do it yourself. Now if you play EVE, you are practically put into player interaction, whether you are a pirate ganking somebody or flying together in fleets against war targets, so yeah in this game the player base matters I guess.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Maidenberry

Player Base

Is this important? what makes it important on a mmorpg game?

I enjoy a private lair to retreat to in my science fiction mmorpg games, yes.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My best answer:  "it depends on the game".

In some games the majority of content is solo oriented and satisfaction based on interaction with the game, not other players.  In this case, the number of other players or the quality of community isn't very important.

In others, interaction ranges from moderate to high so the amount and quality of playerbase is extremely important.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • poringslasherporingslasher Member Posts: 59
    well, it's not called MMO so you can play it solo, yes? 'cept maybe if your name is Han.
  • SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79

Yes, if we are talking about the above sense. People have correctly pointed out that some games allow you to solo everything, but there are plenty of single player games that are much better single player experiences than any mmo, even people who like soloing a lot of the time (me) do so in an mmo so that we can take that character we have built up and interact with others occasionally.

A game with out enough people you want to play with, is the same as a single player game, in which case playing a good single player game is prefferable.

Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by Robokapp

NGE happens.

This is classic image

Regarding my earlier post, I was focusing more on "community" than population size. I was thinking of "player base" in a demographics sense.

yes. community more so affects the "value" and "quality" of a game. just look at knight online. playerbase is huge. around 15k at average. but community is filled with non-english speaking turks that kicks you out of party simply because you don't cheat like they do and they can't speak english.

don't get me wrong. there are still some cool turks in the game that you can have a nice time with. it's just that, the majority are such d*cks they overshadow the good ones. it's really hard to find quality companions in KO, cept maybe if you find a good guild or play with your friends. same goes with any other MMOs.

Originally posted by Robokapp

NGE happens.

what is this NGE?