Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the next level past crickets? Vacuum?

Comments

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyer
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyerYou have to give credit where credit is due. They're the only ones creating a full loot, massive pvp conquest, fps game.

Well you almost had a good point.

Sadly though, this is just not true.

There is another full loot massive pvp conquest with FIrst Person view, among a massive amount of far more innovative and impressive features, MMORPG being created.

It is called Embers of Caerus.

There are other, better, options coming.  There's no real need to get suckered and support incompetent devs

Look through the features in the link, and you'll see a staggering difference in what is being attempted by both companies.

Aventurine had their chance to do it right, and had to shut down Darkfall.  Why give them another chance on a worse version, when other devs are creating better games?

Because like I said.... they're the only game in town. when does Embers come out......? Like 2015 or something?

There seems to be a big influx of sandbox hardcore mmo's coming out and that's GREAT. But they're not out yet and they can't be judged. You can't say that better options are coming until they're here because a big part of the darkfall hate is the hype/promises that they didn't live up to. I'm not sure why you think embers is immune to this.

Remind me again when Darkfall 2010 was released?

Or is there even a release date for it at all at this point?

What? You know the beta is out? And I've played it? Not to mention darkfall 1... You're not making any sense. We're talking about AV and the games they make. 

How exactly can you say Embers if better if it's not even CLOSE to being out? There's like what 1 dungeon test concept video?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyerYou have to give credit where credit is due. They're the only ones creating a full loot, massive pvp conquest, fps game.

There is another full loot massive pvp conquest with FIrst Person view, among a massive amount of far more innovative and impressive features, MMORPG being created.

There are other, better, options coming.  There's no real need to get suckered and support incompetent devs

Look through the features in the link, and you'll see a staggering difference in what is being attempted by both companies.

Aventurine had their chance to do it right, and had to shut down Darkfall.  Why give them another chance on a worse version, when other devs are creating better games?

Because like I said.... they're the only game in town. when does Embers come out......? Like 2015 or something?

There seems to be a big influx of sandbox hardcore mmo's coming out and that's GREAT. But they're not out yet and they can't be judged. You can't say that better options are coming until they're here because a big part of the darkfall hate is the hype/promises that they didn't live up to. I'm not sure why you think embers is immune to this.

What? You know the beta is out? And I've played it? Not to mention darkfall 1... You're not making any sense. We're talking about AV and the games they make. 

How exactly can you say Embers if better if it's not even CLOSE to being out? There's like what 1 dungeon test concept video?

I'm going off the proposed features - since neither game is released, or has an exact release date.

You know the beta came after two seperate months of AV saying the game was release ready and a blatant lie about Steam?

I'm simply noting that it is possible for Embers to come out before Darkfall UW sees a release.  Even if UW comes out first, the chances of it having anywhere close to the features of Embers, or even having a positive, fun, bug free experience is extremely slim - and I'm basing that simply on Aventurines past games :)

I'm going off the proposed features - since neither game is released, or has an exact release date.

You know the beta came after two seperate months of AV saying the game was release ready and a blatant lie about Steam?

I'm simply noting that it is possible for Embers to come out before Darkfall UW sees a release.  Even if UW comes out first, the chances of it having anywhere close to the features of Embers, or even having a positive, fun, bug free experience is extremely slim - and I'm basing that simply on Aventurines past games :)

LMAO. You're not a reasonable human being if you think it's at all plausible that Embers will come out before DFUW. And yes I know that they delayed the release at least twice before they finally gave up and released a beta. How does that change the here and now? See this is one of the problems with people like you: you get so damn caught up in what you think you're owed or what you expect that you can't look at things objectively. 

I will like to point out (again) how funny it is that you're SO SURE that Embers is gonna be this perfect game all the while you're talking about how much darkfall sucks. Were you around ~5 years ago when Darkfall was gonna be THE game to end all games? Everything about it was going to be downright incredible and it was going to be UO/Shadowbane incarnate. Much like how you're treating Embers now.

LMAO. You're not a reasonable human being if you think it's at all plausible that Embers will come out before DFUW. And yes I know that they delayed the release at least twice before they finally gave up and released a beta. How does that change the here and now? See this is one of the problems with people like you: you get so damn caught up in what you think you're owed or what you expect that you can't look at things objectively. 

I will like to point out (again) how funny it is that you're SO SURE that Embers is gonna be this perfect game all the while you're talking about how much darkfall sucks. Were you around ~5 years ago when Darkfall was gonna be THE game to end all games? Everything about it was going to be downright incredible and it was going to be UO/Shadowbane incarnate. Much like how you're treating Embers now.

Actually I'm treating Embers as a better proposed list of features with the same ones that Darkfall fans look for.  That's all.

To be fair, I don't really think Embers will come out before DFUW.  If that were close to teh case, I'd actually think it'd simply be Embers is coming out, but Darkfall UW....

I was around for Darkfall.  I remember hearing about Darkfall 2.0 after that, then 2010, then UW, and now NGE.

I'm not treating Embers as some perfect MMO.  I didn't even kickstart it as I did other games.  I'm simply saying that it would be extremely difficult to be worse than Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Here is a question for you though: Why do you thnk Aventurine was so sure it was release ready that they mentioned that two different months, and put off changing to beta until the very last minute?

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

Although I agree with most of you and while Tasos should be receiving flak due to a buggy unfinished game the fact still remains that it is the only FPS full loot sandbox available to play by pre-ordering. Games such as The Repopulation and Archeage have barely been announced and will probably release around q3 q4 2012, which still gives people a huge downtime in between while craving a sandbox. 

If you drop the "pre" from pre ordering, Mortal Online makes Darkfall no longer the "only" one.

A FPS doesn't have over the shoulder POV.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    IRC dried up too. People aren't even bothering to idle.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by osmunda

Although I agree with most of you and while Tasos should be receiving flak due to a buggy unfinished game the fact still remains that it is the only FPS full loot sandbox available to play by pre-ordering. Games such as The Repopulation and Archeage have barely been announced and will probably release around q3 q4 2012, which still gives people a huge downtime in between while craving a sandbox. 

If you drop the "pre" from pre ordering, Mortal Online makes Darkfall no longer the "only" one.

The funny part to me, is how DarkfallFanatic doesn't even know what year it is.  Might be a side effect of waiting for Darkfall 2010 so long ;)

Actually I'm treating Embers as a better proposed list of features with the same ones that Darkfall fans look for.  That's all.

To be fair, I don't really think Embers will come out before DFUW.  If that were close to teh case, I'd actually think it'd simply be Embers is coming out, but Darkfall UW....

I was around for Darkfall.  I remember hearing about Darkfall 2.0 after that, then 2010, then UW, and now NGE.

I'm not treating Embers as some perfect MMO.  I didn't even kickstart it as I did other games.  I'm simply saying that it would be extremely difficult to be worse than Darkfall Unholy Wars.

Here is a question for you though: Why do you thnk Aventurine was so sure it was release ready that they mentioned that two different months, and put off changing to beta until the very last minute?

You're not just comparing the stated list of features. You used Embers as a counter argument to me saying they're the only guys doing it. And the fact is that you can't use a game that not only isn't OUT, it doesn't even have GAMEPLAY footage to make the point that they're some kind of alternative to Darkfall... they're not.

To your question: I think they vastly overstated how ready the game was and I think it's because they're BAD with communication and I also think it's because of how viciously entitled their community seems to be. They were constantly attacked for delaying "darkfall 2010" (in fact you've referenced it deliberately a couple times just in the past few posts...) and so they're extremely pressured to get it out.

But quite frankly I don't give a damn about your loaded question. Because I'm not saying anything they've done is ok. I'm saying that after all is said and done it's the only viable large scale pvp conquest fps game. They've also done more for the hardcore pvp mmo community than any game since UO/Shadowbane. PERIOD. Yes they've done things wrong along the way, but I choose not to take it as personally as all of you guys do. I wouldn't care if they did flat out lie about anything, they're a damn game developer and I'm a consumer. If they give me a product that I think is worth 14.99/mo or whatever it is, I'm gonna play it.  

The funny part to me, is how DarkfallFanatic doesn't even know what year it is.  Might be a side effect of waiting for Darkfall 2010 so long ;)

Picking on a guy for a typo? I really wouldn't expect anything else from you at this point. You're nothing more than a typical, angry, snide, entitled forum dweller. How sad it must be to spend so much of your time talking about a game/company you hate.

You're not just comparing the stated list of features. You used Embers as a counter argument to me saying they're the only guys doing it. And the fact is that you can't use a game that not only isn't OUT, it doesn't even have GAMEPLAY footage to make the point that they're some kind of alternative to Darkfall... they're not.

To your question: I think they vastly overstated how ready the game was and I think it's because they're BAD with communication and I also think it's because of how viciously entitled their community seems to be. They were constantly attacked for delaying "darkfall 2010" (in fact you've referenced it deliberately a couple times just in the past few posts...) and so they're extremely pressured to get it out.

But quite frankly I don't give a damn about your loaded question. Because I'm not saying anything they've done is ok. I'm saying that after all is said and done it's the only viable large scale pvp conquest fps game. They've also done more for the hardcore pvp mmo community than any game since UO/Shadowbane. PERIOD. Yes they've done things wrong along the way, but I choose not to take it as personally as all of you guys do. I wouldn't care if they did flat out lie about anything, they're a damn game developer and I'm a consumer. If they give me a product that I think is worth 14.99/mo or whatever it is, I'm gonna play it.  

The word was creating.  You said Aventurine were the only ones creating such a game.

My counter example was perfect then in that regards - because it is a game from another company that hits all the features you mentioned, and is being created.  In other words, it neatly disproved your statement.

The merits of either game weren't important at that point, it was simply a perfect example to show that your statement was incorrect.

I do feel that Aventurine should be very relieved that Embers and other similar games are not out yet.  If any one of them has the features of Darkfall but is released and a solid exprience, or worse if an Embers style list of features made it into a released game, Aventurine would fold.  The fans are already drifting away, the lack of a released solid compeitor is a huge boon for Aventurine to buy more time with.

In general, if someone is bad at communicating, I would expect them to not be able to get across what they want to say very well.  In Aventurine's case, if they knew it was not ready for release, but said multiple times that it was, this is what is known as lying.  Lying isn't a very good way to communicate, sure, but it is an important distinction.  The Steam bit was a terrible excuse/lie on their part as well.

I agree with your last bit - if a game developer makes a product I feel is worth the price, I will buy it as well.

Picking on a guy for a typo? I really wouldn't expect anything else from you at this point. You're nothing more than a typical, angry, snide, entitled forum dweller. How sad it must be to spend so much of your time talking about a game/company you hate.

I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this video game that you had to attack me personally.

I'd prefer to just discuss gaming though in the future.

I'm sorry you feel so strongly about this video game that you had to attack me personally.

I'd prefer to just discuss gaming though in the future.

Then don't pick on people for typos.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

They will only have a server in Texas, no way i play that as a European.

Originally posted by Aragon100

Ah is that so?  That's actually pretty unfortunate.  I mean it does talk about a single server, but that sounds very USA centered.

The word was creating.  You said Aventurine were the only ones creating such a game.

My counter example was perfect then in that regards - because it is a game from another company that hits all the features you mentioned, and is being created.  In other words, it neatly disproved your statement.

The merits of either game weren't important at that point, it was simply a perfect example to show that your statement was incorrect.

I do feel that Aventurine should be very relieved that Embers and other similar games are not out yet.  If any one of them has the features of Darkfall but is released and a solid exprience, or worse if an Embers style list of features made it into a released game, Aventurine would fold.  The fans are already drifting away, the lack of a released solid compeitor is a huge boon for Aventurine to buy more time with.

In general, if someone is bad at communicating, I would expect them to not be able to get across what they want to say very well.  In Aventurine's case, if they knew it was not ready for release, but said multiple times that it was, this is what is known as lying.  Lying isn't a very good way to communicate, sure, but it is an important distinction.  The Steam bit was a terrible excuse/lie on their part as well.

I agree with your last bit - if a game developer makes a product I feel is worth the price, I will buy it as well.

So because I said creating, you think that makes it logical to compare it to a game that is still almost 100% conceptual? It didn't disprove anything at all. Clearly the point I'm making is that love or hate AV, Darkfall is the best we have for the foreseeable future. You can hope for Embers, and I'll hope along with you, but the game isn't out and could end up being even more of a disappointment than darkfall. So why bring it up?

If they said something that wasn't true, then yes that's called a lie. In the real world though things aren't always so black and white. It's fine that you're holding them to a certain standard, but then hold yourself and the community to similar standards. If they lied, they did it for a good reason. They did it because of the thousands of people -like you- that would rip them to shreds for delaying YET AGAIN. The internet hyperbole would be rampant in darkfall forums across the land if they had another big delay. So what did they do? They overstated the game's functionality and WORKED THEIR ASSES off to try and meet the deadline. When they couldn't meet it, they tried to push it back a little and continued to work their asses off to try and meet it. Finally they gave up and decided to drastically delay the release and do a full on beta to work out all of the kinks. This is contrast to the original plan of releasing it (because of the community being on their shit about delaying so often) and fixing/adding stuff as the game went on.

This isn't rocket science, it's easy to logically think this through. They're not some big evil corporation sucking down your monthly fees and sitting on their asses. They're a small company with a huge task on their shoulders in a niche market that doesn''t give them much to go on. If Embers does well (and I hope it does), you can't say it didn't learn anything from Darkfall.

the game isn't out and could end up being even more of a disappointment than darkfall.

I read that bit, and thought "the same could apply to Darkfall Unholy Wars"

But yes, because you said there was nothing being created with those features, followed by me showing an example of an mmorpg being created wtih those features, I feel that showed your statement was incorrect.

I mean if you want to write a new statement and focus it more so it eliminates any possibility for any other game to be included, I'll let ya go ahead and do that.  But with what you said earlier, it was a perfect counter example.  Just how it works.  Feel free to say a different version that specifies an exact phase of the development cycle that darkfall just happens to meet, that should make it seem like there are no alternatives a bit more hehe

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by Aragon100

Ah is that so?  That's actually pretty unfortunate.  I mean it does talk about a single server, but that sounds very USA centered.

Yes it is a game for the americans. Competitive twitchbased gaming need good FPS and playing from Europe will give a huge disadvantage.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96

Mortal Online was and will always be an innovative POS, first and foremost. 

Second wow if you really want to go into semantics a first person shooter is a game that is *ABLE* to be played in first person throughout the entire game. Darkfall Unholy Wars fits that description. Technically making it a FPS. 

OTS view has no effect on the FPS aspect, and actually limits you from doing anything but maybe melee and taking screenshots. 

And as for the guy talking about Embers how is that even comparable the game won't even be seen before 2014 2015 more likely giving us 1 OR 2 FULL YEARS. If you don't think Unholy Wars is going to release within the next 2-3 months you are batshit insane. 

Probably even before that. Note that recurring payment is scheduled for Mar 3, if you don't see a conflict there ponder over it. People will not be paying subs for beta access obviously - and it will be technically illegal for AV to charge the recurring sub fee for beta access come March. 

So March-April will probably be the release date. Its not that hard to figure out. 

the game isn't out and could end up being even more of a disappointment than darkfall.

But yes, because you said there was nothing being created with those features, followed by me showing an example of an mmorpg being created wtih those features, I feel that showed your statement was incorrect.

I mean if you want to write a new statement and focus it more so it eliminates any possibility for any other game to be included, I'll let ya go ahead and do that.  But with what you said earlier, it was a perfect counter example.  Just how it works.  Feel free to say a different version that specifies an exact phase of the development cycle that darkfall just happens to meet, that should make it seem like there are no alternatives a bit more hehe

No there's no weaseling around here, it's obvious what I've been saying from the beginning. I look at games practically. All things considered, would you rather play a hardcore full loot large scale conquest pvp game with problems or none at all? It's downright silly to think I would be talking about any game being created because the point is that darkfall had high expectations and ended up being disappointing. Why would I compare a game that's mostly out (we at least have a good idea of how it works) to a game that is purely conceptual? It's apples and oranges. I'm dumbfounded that I even have to explain this to you, it's very obvious you're just trying to save some dignity after all of the dumb stuff you've said.

Go back and reread this conversation. The fact is you tried to argue the point for a while until it was clear you had no leg to stand on, so you start arguing semantics. 

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I played Darkfall on and off for 4 years, and was, at best, cannon fodder.  But I loved it.

I played Unholy Wars from the beginning of beta til about 4 days ago, and have no plans on playing again.  I know a lot of folks who feel this way, and it makes me sad.

The game just lost the magic, I loved the DF 1.0 game and I would have played it for years and years to come, I had 3 subcribed accounts with specialized tasks for every one but now the good days are only memories. Sad they left an excellent game to create that crap. The right route was patching and patching the original game with new features and inprovements. Bad decision AV.

Originally posted by RPGForever

I played Darkfall on and off for 4 years, and was, at best, cannon fodder.  But I loved it.

I played Unholy Wars from the beginning of beta til about 4 days ago, and have no plans on playing again.  I know a lot of folks who feel this way, and it makes me sad.

The game just lost the magic, I loved the DF 1.0 game and I would have played it for years and years to come, I had 3 subcribed accounts with specialized tasks for every one but now the good days are only memories. Sad they left an excellent game to create that crap. The right route was patching and patching the original game with new features and inprovements. Bad decision AV.

To be fair I'd wait until all of the classes are in and debug is off before any real judgement. You may still not like it but obviously the game isn't gonna be good until that stuff is done.

No there's no weaseling around here, it's obvious what I've been saying from the beginning. I look at games practically. All things considered, would you rather play a hardcore full loot large scale conquest pvp game with problems or none at all? It's downright silly to think I would be talking about any game being created because the point is that darkfall had high expectations and ended up being disappointing. Why would I compare a game that's mostly out (we at least have a good idea of how it works) to a game that is purely conceptual? It's apples and oranges. I'm dumbfounded that I even have to explain this to you, it's very obvious you're just trying to save some dignity after all of the dumb stuff you've said.

Go back and reread this conversation. The fact is you tried to argue the point for a while until it was clear you had no leg to stand on, so you start arguing semantics. 

I actually did read it again earlier.  I was reading it aloud to some friends, word for word.  They laughed, and I apologize to you for that.

Anyways, I play games that are fun.  It doesn't matter to me if darkfall UW gets released if it isn't fun, horribly buggy, worse than 1.0, and doesn't have the features it said it would for this version.

So I guess we'll continue to give Darkfall 2010 more time.

More time for games like Embers of Caerus to continue being created ;)

To be fair I'd wait until all of the classes are in and debug is off before any real judgement. You may still not like it but obviously the game isn't gonna be good until that stuff is done.

Be serious.  If debug mode was turned off, what could they then use as an excuse?

Be serious.  If debug mode was turned off, what could they then use as an excuse?

An excuse for what? I know you're used to all of the typical darkfall memes, but why do you actually think debug isn't the cause of some of the issues? namely the mouse lag. 

An excuse for what? I know you're used to all of the typical darkfall memes, but why do you actually think debug isn't the cause of some of the issues? namely the mouse lag. 

I didn't know it had mouse lag.