Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHYYYY LEVELS WHYYYY

Comments

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

I started playing Elder Scrolls games with Daggerfall (thought it has been a long while) and as far as I remember they all had a base level, the level of your character determined the stat increases to strength, agility, wilpower, endurance and intelligence from memory.

The issue I have with what I know of the game so far is the freedom or lack thereof, I understand that a lot of people who play MMO's these days would be lost without classes, a defined direction in witch way to progress and to be rewarded with shinies for everything even PvP ( why can't people PvP for the sake of fun and competition anymore) but this is elder scrolls game, I should be able to be classless, choose my own destiny, go in any direction I choose, included in this is the option of choosing factions and travelling around to any part of the world I feel like looking at ( if I am alligned with a faction and in enemy territory I would be under constant threat of attack from enemy players) I should at least have the choice to do these things in an Elder Scrolls game.

Guess I will Just have to keep an eye out for more detailed infomation on the game, I will not hold my breath for the Elder Scrolls game to be what I believe it should be but who knows, hopefully Zenimax has some innovational ideas and can pull of a good game at least and if I don't take to much notice of the name it could be a decent "themepark" style game to occupy some of my time.

P.S

I still haven't finished the main storyline in Skyrim over 900hrs played, I've been busy with my 3 characters doing side quests, murdering people in their beds at night, crafting armour and weapons or adventuring where ever I may with my 2h axe lopping of the heads of any unfortunate soul that stands against me.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD

I started playing Elder Scrolls games with Daggerfall (thought it has been a long while) and as far as I remember they all had a base level, the level of your character determined the stat increases to strength, agility, wilpower, endurance and intelligence from memory.

The issue I have with what I know of the game so far is the freedom or lack thereof, I understand that a lot of people who play MMO's these days would be lost without classes, a defined direction in witch way to progress and to be rewarded with shinies for everything even PvP ( why can't people PvP for the sake of fun and competition anymore) but this is elder scrolls game, I should be able to be classless, choose my own destiny, go in any direction I choose, included in this is the option of choosing factions and travelling around to any part of the world I feel like looking at ( if I am alligned with a faction and in enemy territory I would be under constant threat of attack from enemy players) I should at least have the choice to do these things in an Elder Scrolls game.

Guess I will Just have to keep an eye out for more detailed infomation on the game, I will not hold my breath for the Elder Scrolls game to be what I believe it should be but who knows, hopefully Zenimax has some innovational ideas and can pull of a good game at least and if I don't take to much notice of the name it could be a decent "themepark" style game to occupy some of my time.

P.S

I still haven't finished the main storyline in Skyrim over 900hrs played, I've been busy with my 3 characters doing side quests, murdering people in their beds at night, crafting armour and weapons or adventuring where ever I may with my 2h axe lopping of the heads of any unfortunate soul that stands against me.

Choosing your class in TESO just gives you base abilities any other abilities you aquire come while using any weapons and armor you choose. So you can go your own direction the same as you can in the single player games. 

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by deakon

Originally posted by jtcgs  Its SIMPLE. Races are now placed in different factions. You will be FORCED to play a faction according to what race you want to play, you will be limited to that factions zones, PvP will be limited to contested zones. 1-50 is to get you to the "good" part of the game, the END game.  You have NO choices. The world will be made so once you blow through content, you wont be going back. These things have already been said by the Developers. This is not TES, this is DaoC 2...it even has DaoC cutesy Elves...TES elves are fugly ALIEN looking.

Also faction areas being locked will add to replayability as you will have 3 completely different pve games to experience with 100% different content, so replayability should be less of an issue here than in most themepark mmos.

This is getting repeated over and over again does not make it true.

open up all 3 areas, make 3 alts, And then you have an experience 3x the scope of what you say above!

And this is getting repeated over and over again does not make it TES.

I have NEVER had to create an alt in a TES game to experience all of the content and NO it does NOT add to replayability, the amount of MMORPGs that have kept its popularity as long as Oblivion has is a grand total of ONE, World of Warcraft...and how many have closed its doors in less than 7 years or had to go F2P to save themselves from shutting down?

Yeah, Oblivion...still popular now and it can be PROVEN by going to the Nexus website, looking at the page views for Oblivion and looking at how Mods are still be created for it and downloaded by 100k+ people. Where is your replayability now?

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Not sure what games you two have been playing but yes ES games have normal conventional levels as well. Not in the sense of just leveling up skills/items. There is a base level that levels up like in any game. You should go replay Skyrim and take a closer look.

I have never gained a level from simply doing quests or just killing opponents in any TES game I have played. I have gained levels solely from using the skills available to me. I do not recall gaining a level when I talked to an NPC for quests.

What TES games have you been playing?

or... am I missing something here?

Yeah, already pointed that out in other threads....they dont care, must defend the game 100% no matter what is said or what they are doing with the game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yes you have

You can't join all 3 houses in Morrowind
    You can't join both sides in the war in skyrim

Been a vampire, doing deadric quests, being a werewolf, joining the morag tong and various other things also stop you doing all quests.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol you do gain levels for talking to quest givers - speech craft

Also you gain levels for killing, how else do you kill if not using weapons or magic?
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Lol you do gain levels for talking to quest givers - speech craftAlso you gain levels for killing, how else do you kill if not using weapons or magic?
    Your speech goes up when you buy/sell, bribe, persuade, or intimidate. It does NOT go up by talking to people using normal means.

Your level increases while fighting because your skill goes up, not because you killed an opponent. How much XP does a deer give you? How about a Master Vampire?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Lol you do gain levels for talking to quest givers - speech craftAlso you gain levels for killing, how else do you kill if not using weapons or magic?

Your speech goes up when you buy/sell, bribe, persuade, or intimidate. It does NOT go up by talking to people using normal means.

Your level increases while fighting because your skill goes up, not because you killed an opponent. How much XP does a deer give you? How about a Master Vampire?

I dont see how getting xp per swing/cast is much different from per kill tbh, its still ammounts to the same thing

Getting xp from handing in quests doesnt happen in skyrim, but tbh we dont know how quests are handled here atm, it could be like skyrim, where the quest just completes and the loot and xp is gained from the journey rather than handing in

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by nttajira

im tired of people who want level less mmorpg , free 2 pay game , buy to pay game , game where item dont matter

in my mmorpg i want :

1-  1 months subs , with no cash shop or other joke who never work and make game ghost town after 1 year or the dev stop update , why ?? who work for free baka ?????!!!  .

2- item who matter , if i got them and not you , you will die , in fact just thinking about casual hitting me while doing no dmg and me killing them in one shoot , would bring a smile to my face , i have killed 1000000 monster and you 5 , you think you would get a chance in a fight in real life vs someone like that ?? if you want skill game go play shooter , or starcraft 2 , they both need plenty of your ''skill'' .

In my MMO i don't wan't players like you.

"I has bigger weapon than you.. i r kill you".

Did i got it right?

I dont see how getting xp per swing/cast is much different from per kill tbh, its still ammounts to the same thing
    It is a difference between general overall experience and specific actions gaining experience. Why does burning opponents with flame spells raise my restoration ability? I guess for me it is the mini-game of planning how I desire to level up my character with the choices I make instead of the goal being simply to get more XP. I agree that they both get you to the same destination (ie: higher level), but take two very different pathways there.

Getting xp from handing in quests doesnt happen in skyrim, but tbh we dont know how quests are handled here atm, it could be like skyrim, where the quest just completes and the loot and xp is gained from the journey rather than handing in
    We can only hope :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

It is a difference between general overall experience and specific actions gaining experience. Why does burning opponents with flame spells raise my restoration ability? I guess for me it is the mini-game of planning how I desire to level up my character with the choices I make instead of the goal being simply to get more XP. I agree that they both get you to the same destination (ie: higher level), but take two very different pathways there.

Actually if you cast your fireball it WILL make your fireball better because each skill has a leveling path, the more you use a skill the better it gets and once you level it enough you can add new affects to it (like stuns, dots etc), and you can continue to level skills/spells even beyond the level cap

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Leveling in Skyrim was pretty simple, it just gave you a attribute point every time you leveled and you used it to up one of your 3 attributes and we got perks which I kinda liked..  If it is gonna be like this in ESO, I disagree with it, because then you are STUCK in whichever role you choose, I believe in a seesaw sort of skill system where you can bring your stam/health or mana up or down by choosing which skills to raise. I think this would be the most effective approach, so for example, you raise a sword skill to 100, you will get in Strength, which in turns, gives your character health, working a magic skill would certaintly make your character more intelligent, giving you more mana, but there should be caps on how many points you can dump into your skills & attributes, so just like previous games, our skills would govern our attributes, but I think it would work better without the traditional level approach.. Maybe we will be able to reset our characters to take on different, roles, I don't know, but I usually dislike having to play more than one character, which is why I don't like character classes either.. The level of a given skill is increased as that skill is used successfully, I still agree with this approach on skills.  The skill system itself should be very dynamic, attributes and skills should dependent on each other, and that training one of them also improves the other. It would also give players the opportunity to fully customize their character.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Levels arent what I dislike about the way this game is going. However I will say I prefer skill based leveling over character levels.

What I dislike about TESO is the Race based Faction locks and the segregated Faction specific zones.

That and Classes

Im also not real fond that the main focus of TESO being a War between the Factions

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Incorrect...again.

You CAN switch sides in Skyrim, during the Jagged Crown quest allowing that crazy thing called a choice.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by deakon Originally posted by jtcgs  Its SIMPLE. Races are now placed in different factions. You will be FORCED to play a faction according to what race you want to play, you will be limited to that factions zones, PvP will be limited to contested zones. 1-50 is to get you to the "good" part of the game, the END game.  You have NO choices. The world will be made so once you blow through content, you wont be going back. These things have already been said by the Developers. This is not TES, this is DaoC 2...it even has DaoC cutesy Elves...TES elves are fugly ALIEN looking.
    Also faction areas being locked will add to replayability as you will have 3 completely different pve games to experience with 100% different content, so replayability should be less of an issue here than in most themepark mmos.
    This is getting repeated over and over again does not make it true. open up all 3 areas, make 3 alts, And then you have an experience 3x the scope of what you say above!
    And this is getting repeated over and over again does not make it TES.

I have NEVER had to create an alt in a TES game to experience all of the content and NO it does NOT add to replayability, the amount of MMORPGs that have kept its popularity as long as Oblivion has is a grand total of ONE, World of Warcraft...and how many have closed its doors in less than 7 years or had to go F2P to save themselves from shutting down?

Yeah, Oblivion...still popular now and it can be PROVEN by going to the Nexus website, looking at the page views for Oblivion and looking at how Mods are still be created for it and downloaded by 100k+ people. Where is your replayability now?

I was not ever saying it was TES. I was responding to the quoted posters stance on content and alts.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Incorrect...again.

You CAN switch sides in Skyrim, during the Jagged Crown quest allowing that crazy thing called a choice.

You still get locked to a faction in dawguard it makes it so you can either side with the hunters or the vampires and i also believe you also get locked out of the vampire side if you became a werewolf too

Incorrect...again.You CAN switch sides in Skyrim, during the Jagged Crown quest allowing that crazy thing called a choice.
    You still get locked to a faction in dawguard it makes it so you can either side with the hunters or the vampires and i also believe you also get locked out of the vampire side if you became a werewolf too
    You're all missing the point here. In all the TES games I have played, there are factions.

In Morrowind, you could chose a house (Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvani) to align yourself with. If you joined both the Thieves Guild and Fighters Guild, you soon had a choice to make between the two factions. Choosing to join some factions sometimes closed the doors on others. This is not the point. Factions were all about choices in game.

In TES:O, three main factions (pacts) are now race dependent. Now, when you choose a race, you have NO CHOICE which faction to choose. You have NO CHOICE where you get to adventure.

This is so far from TES that it boggles my mind. And all just because of PvP.

Yes, it sounds like there will be factions you will be able to chose from (Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, etc.), but the MAIN three factions are preset with no choice or deviation whatsoever.

wow... that kinda was really off-topic :) Sorry about that :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

I am not sure why some are making a big deal out of faction locks of areas.. You have all ( most to start anyway ) of Tamriel to enjoy instead of having to wait ~5 years for each of the single player games for a single area.. Sit back and enjoy whats infront of you.
  • desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by jtcgs  Its SIMPLE. Races are now placed in different factions. You will be FORCED to play a faction according to what race you want to play, you will be limited to that factions zones, PvP will be limited to contested zones. 1-50 is to get you to the "good" part of the game, the END game.  You have NO choices. The world will be made so once you blow through content, you wont be going back. These things have already been said by the Developers. This is not TES, this is DaoC 2...it even has DaoC cutesy Elves...TES elves are fugly ALIEN looking.

open up all 3 areas, make 3 alts, And then you have an experience 3x the scope of what you say above!

But then the content would need to be homogenized to fit every character, rather than having 3 stories defined by faction you would be left with a one size fits all aproach, which would be less replayable than content tailored for each faction

SWTOR also went with the class/storyline/faction replayability thing to justify its design shortcomings and guess what ? Most people didn't like that or got bored and abandoned the game.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    I see that you don't know what  are you talking about :) Never tried ESO?  Levels was always there
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Thyats exactly how it is handled.  There are no traditional quests, what happens is you explore and find a cave or see a point of interest on your compass go there and chances there is a quest associated with it.  When you complete the quest objectives you earn the XP.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

Thyats exactly how it is handled.  There are no traditional quests, what happens is you explore and find a cave or see a point of interest on your compass go there and chances there is a quest associated with it.  When you complete the quest objectives you earn the XP.

Lets not say there are NO traditional quests because they probably will be but yea.. TESO will have that exploration factor too.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    i read them of the thread ,enter to see what people have to say cause tilll today i dont c any mmo that dont have( lvl or any lvl progretion system ) repply  and go out

Originally posted by desiriel

But then the content would need to be homogenized to fit every character, rather than having 3 stories defined by faction you would be left with a one size fits all aproach, which would be less replayable than content tailored for each faction

SWTOR also went with the class/storyline/faction replayability thing to justify its design shortcomings and guess what ? Most people didn't like that or got bored and abandoned the game.

It was swtor's shortcomings that had people leave not the fact that you could play a jedi then a sith and have all new quests, questing in that game was the only thing about it that was considered good

And its not the same anyway because yes if you rolled one toon on each faction you wouldnt get the same quests but the quests would still envolve the exact same content 90% of the time, teso will be 100% new content because all the pve areas are faction specific, and ZOS arent saying rolling alts is part of their end game design like bioware were

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    You can level to max in GW2 by only crafting. Heck you could do it by only harvesting, but that wouldn't be so easy.