Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dont say there is nothing new in MMOs .. Defiance is it ...

Comments

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by DMKano

Defiance - 1000s of players in a persistent virtual world, with solo and group PvE missions, PvP open world and battlegrounds, skill/ability tree, gear upgrades..... And that is not an MMO?

MMO is where a thousand or thousands of people plays in the same server. Defiance however doesn't do that, they have "shards". In otherwords they are servers that you enter when you go to a different location, and that's how the shards works. And from my beta experience, I barely saw even 10 people at the same place with me and that's because those areas are sharded.

Hopefully you learned something from this. :)

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Black-Dog

On a different note: That picture on previous page, lol :D  All I have to say is .. MAN FEET!

Go on take a look, ugh creepy.

^

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by codifier

Defiance - 1000s of players in a persistent virtual world, with solo and group PvE missions, PvP open world and battlegrounds, skill/ability tree, gear upgrades..... And that is not an MMO?

MMO is where a thousand or thousands of people plays in the same server. Defiance however doesn't do that, they have "shards". In otherwords they are servers that you enter when you go to a different location, and that's how the shards works. And from my beta experience, I barely saw even 10 people at the same place with me and that's because those areas are sharded.

Sharding is commonplace in MMO's these days.  The NDA needs to go down soon to stop all this "non MMO" nonsense.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Sharding is commonplace in MMO's these days.  The NDA needs to go down soon to stop all this "non MMO" nonsense.

Yeah it's getting ridiciulous. I never saw more than 10 players in one place other than Stormwind while I was leveling up in the most populated WoW server. I guess WoW most not be an MMO either.

Sharding is here to stay folks. I personally don't mind it as long as I can get to play with my friends whenever I want and there are other players there when I need them for rifts/dungeons. I don't even understand why people enjoy having 20 other random players running around them in the same little area. It's not like anyone socializes. All that does is make it a pain in the ass to complete quests.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by dave6660
    There is nothing new in MMO's.

Look up the definition of "new".

Tell me the last MMO that has cross-over to a TV show like Defiance, and i may agree.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

Defiance is not an MMO, but Diablo 3 and Path of exile are...... /facepalm

Defiance is an MMO, also it's not a fps, it's a third person shooter, and yes there is a big difference. It is however a pixel perfect shooter, which Firefall is not for example.

then please tell me wtf is an mmo? Something that has elves and orcs and ends in Warcraft?

Can anyone define that term for me? Cause a google search just returned a bunch of information on Defiance (and only Defiance for this) which really makes it sound like marketing hype words instead of a real thing. This is certainly the first time I have read that term before.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

This is at best a gimmick

And with Siffees track record - I wouldn't get too excited or attached to either the show or the game

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Jalitan

On a different note: That picture on previous page, lol :D  All I have to say is .. MAN FEET!

^

Heretics!! both of you!

• xSyngexxSyngex Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

In Defiance Shards work out differntly then what you are thinking.

• xSyngexxSyngex Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by Jalitan

^

Heretics!! both of you!

Lmao. long toe freaky feet!

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

I don't really understand the "Defiance isn't an MMO" schtick around here.

It's one large and completely seamless gamespace like Fallen Earth and there's virtually no instancing.  They don't even shard.  On that basis alone it's ahead of a lot of "MMOs."

Additionally, it has a fully functional RPG progression system based on increasing lateral options and deeper avatar customization.  Oh, and it's completely free form btw; no classes, no levels, no arbitrary restrictions imposed on the players, et cetera.

The third person combat is done quite well though it's run-and-gun rather than cover-based (should've been cover-based, IMO).

Defiance is more MMO than half of the "MMOs" on the market right now.  Hell, it's more MMO than TOR is.

Too many trolls on this website.  I guess it's why I only visit it once a month though usually it's PreCU vets who stink up this joint.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

New, new, new..

I wish some titles would do OLD things right, how about that?

All that is happening is dumbing down and making MMOS "casual".

What is new in Defiance? Seems to me like Firefall with different textures? (I like Firefall btw)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

The game as I see it since playing beta is extreme in its weakness as it stands... ok it plays as a fps/fallout style gameplay if I dare say it myself, but its weak.. the good thing for it as a game right now is the fact its smooth and with lots happening it dont lag in big fights..

Not surprising though I guess eh...

I guess you must be Epitome of perfection then? i seriously get very annoyed with people like you. No one is perfect, and it is the flaws and imperfections that makes us humans. 

It is so easy to crticise others without posting your own pictures isn't it? let us see how good you look with your perfect body and features.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by FromHell

New, new, new..

What is new in Defiance? Seems to me like Firefall with different textures? (I like Firefall btw)

Aside from both games being shooters and set somewhere in the future, they couldn't be more different.

Here's a list of thing that Defiance does better than Firefall:

Better graphics

Better hit detection

Actual customization

Better story (with Secret World style cutscenes)

Invasions/rifts

Co-op instances

A lot more weapons/vehicles

No classes

...and I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, Firefall is not a bad game, but saying Defiance is just Firefall with different textures is just crazy talk. They're both futuristic third person shooters, that's about it.

• GhostshadowsGhostshadows Member UncommonPosts: 70

What type of Open World PvP do they have?? I'm only thinking purchasing because of its no sub fee.

People take the internet too serious...go out get some sun and cool off

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Krytycal

New, new, new..

Aside from both games being shooters and set somewhere in the future, they couldn't be more different.

Here's a list of thing that Defiance does better than Firefall:

Better graphics

Better hit detection

Actual customization

Better story (with Secret World style cutscenes)

Invasions/rifts

Co-op instances

A lot more weapons/vehicles

No classes

...and I could go on.

Don't get me wrong, Firefall is not a bad game, but saying Defiance is just Firefall with different textures is just crazy talk. They're both futuristic third person shooters, that's about it.

Guess it's a matter of opnion because I think Firefall does most of those and much better.   Firefall and Defiance are also extremely similar... because anyone who isn't blind can see that.

• supavinzsupavinz Member UncommonPosts: 15

Neocron is a real MMOFPS because its a MMORPG too, every new games that name themselves MMOFPS are just FPS multiplayer ... defiance, ts2, firefall, apb, global agenda etc are just like battlefield 3 and no more.

Sometime they got one aspect of the mmo but never all, when they got battle for conquring outpost they dont have pve for exemple.

I'm a MMORPG player,  this is my point of view and why i don't want to play thoses games they call MMOFPS except Neocron :)

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by tollbooth

Guess it's a matter of opnion because I think Firefall does most of those and much better.   Firefall and Defiance are also extremely similar... because anyone who isn't blind can see that.

Probably. For me, Firefall, while having better PvP gameplay is much weaker ont he PvE front.. They improved recently with the random events like Tornados, but it's still very clunky. On the other hand Defiance PVP needs lot's of work and I'm not sure if they will manage to bring it up to shape before April. 

The difference i'd say is that Firefall is primarly shooter with MMO elements, while Defiance is MMO built around TPP shooter gameplay.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Ezhae

Probably. For me, Firefall, while having better PvP gameplay is much weaker ont he PvE front.. They improved recently with the random events like Tornados, but it's still very clunky. On the other hand Defiance PVP needs lot's of work and I'm not sure if they will manage to bring it up to shape before April. 

The difference i'd say is that Firefall is primarly shooter with MMO elements, while Defiance is MMO built around TPP shooter gameplay.

So you're saying firefalls PvE is weaker even though they've only launched thier first basic pve elements. And you think they need to add more to it even though they have the schedual on what they're adding on the loading screen and you can clearly see they're not even half way on their time line. Firefall may have been around a while, but it's development goes at a snails pace compaired to bigger budget mmos and is far from being at a stage where it can be judged like a ready to launch mmo.

Difiance may end up a great game but every time I see " THIS IS IT, THIS IS THE NEXT BIG THING!!! " I tend to have the same reaction everyone else that's been here a while does....here we go again.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Ezhae

So you're saying firefalls PvE is weaker even though they've only launched thier first basic pve elements. And you think they need to add more to it even though they have the schedual on what they're adding on the loading screen and you can clearly see they're not even half way on their time line. Firefall may have been around a while, but it's development goes at a snails pace compaired to bigger budget mmos and is far from being at a stage where it can be judged like a ready to launch mmo.

Difiance may end up a great game but every time I see " THIS IS IT, THIS IS THE NEXT BIG THING!!! " I tend to have the same reaction everyone else that's been here a while does....here we go again.

I've been in Firefall beta since... gosh, will be since way way before the revamped the whole levelling/loot system. I know how slow they are with developing it. Doesn't change the fact that I judge them at what's in right now, and Firefalls PvE issu eis not just the lack of it per se. It's how clunky it really feels and felt since the I got into the beta. 

And no, I do not htink Defiance is the "next big thing". It's a time killer, that while may seem similar to Firfall on the surface caters to completely different type of player. 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

New, new, new..

Maybe because majority of players now days are casuals? by the way only because game is casual doesn't mean it has to be dumbed down.

It just means people have less time to spend in front of computer but somehow these days casual translates to 'dumb'.

I have more respect for those who achieve things in real life and work hard compared to those who spend 10 hours playing video games and then spend another 10 hours on forums like these throwing random insults at people.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    Defiance the GAME reminded me so much of Tabula Rasa. anyone else?

From what I've seen, it and Firefall have some related elements. Lets hope they don't meet the same fate.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    Defiance the GAME reminded me so much of Tabula Rasa. anyone else?

From what I've seen, it and Firefall have some related elements. Lets hope they don't meet the same fate.

Other than being  futuristic MMO third person shooters, I don't see the similarities. They certainly couldn't play or look more different, and I've played the crap out of both.

Firefall is not terrible. Who knows, it might even be a great game when they manage to finally release it in 20 years, but right now, it's on its barebones compared to Defiance.

I do agree the setting is somewhat similar to Tabula Rasa though, but again the combat/gameplay/story couldn't be more different.

If I had to compare Defiance to other games I've played, it would go something like this:

The combat is similar to Tribes: Ascend (down to launchers and hitscan weapons, minus jetpacks). It's also similar to Borderlands.

The look/setting is closest to an improved version of Tabula Rasa (realistic graphics with post-apocalyptic human/alien landscapes, nothing cartoonish like Borderlands or Firefall)

The gameplay is a mix of Rift and Borderlands. Progession/powers are similar to BL (many modifiable weapons to choose from, same power/perks system, vehicles, etc) with some traditional MMORPG components (rifts, 4-man instances, faction rep, etc). 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Nari, I almost think you are trolling at this point. the paradigm is new, but Defiance as a game itself does not bring anything new to the table gameplay wise. Though it did steal a couple of cool things that other games should steal too.

well .. tying in with a tv show like this is new, isn't it? I didn't say new in gameplay, did i?

"New" in lore and how they do stories (i.e. ties with tv show) is new too. You may not like it, but that does not make it less "new". And i am not even say it will be successful.

that ¨new¨ feature will only affect players who also watch the tv series. Players who arent interested in the tv series will only find a directly contender to Firefall. Nothing newer than that. Of course if they pull it off that would be great, but gamewise its just that.... the first contender against FF

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

The game is miles better than Firefall IMO on the PvE front and story wise. Firefalls strength is with its PvP, since it's aimed at being an E-sports arena style game where PvE is just a means to advance your toon for PvP. The PvE side is more of a gimmic .

My impressions from defiance PvE, is that it's the main meat of the game where the focus is at.