Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impressions...

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by NBlitz

I keep seeing the word "clunky". What do some of you mean? Clunky as in: 

• you can't move all the time while casting/attacking?
    • the top and bottom halves of your character are in sync graphically and it doesn't create strange twists and motions?
    • you can't strafe in circles around someone while flailing a weapon?
    • animation locks which prevents spammy combat and unbalanced melee vs ranged tradeoffs?
    • lack of a clusterfuck of particles etc.?
    • there isn't constant movement combat where it is more about mobility and using skills reactionary to the situation which is very reminiscent of an FPS like Unreal Tournament?
    • when you hit things in TERA they flinch, they get bowled over, you get a satisfying sound effect that changes according to your weapon/attack and blood sprays in every direction?
    • there's active player collisions enabled meaning stronger attacks can physically force your opponent backwards even if they block with their shield?

Can't move all the time while casting/attacking and the animations lacking polish would be my main reasons for it feeling clunky. It's just not fluid. 

I might have to make a video of my 60 warrior doing an entire DPS combo rotation and just post it here and say "wheres your clunky now".  Not for you, but in general, since TERA released people would come on here and complain its clunky after playing to level 4.

The not moving while casting/attacking is deliberate and a good thing, you have to use your brain, also some skills move you around, you use these skills to gap close rather than just running around flailing. Certain skills are moreso for mobility than actually attacking anything, for example I use pounce and leaping strike and animation cancelling my traverse strike as gap closers on my warrior and rising fury as strafing to get behind my opponent to combo into blade draw for back crit damage.

Also about the animations... they are some of the best in the MMO business, very fluid and well done, I don't know how you could say they lack polish.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

• the top and bottom halves of your character are in sync graphically and it doesn't create strange twists and motions?
    • animation locks which prevents spammy combat and unbalanced melee vs ranged tradeoffs?
    • there isn't constant movement combat where it is more about mobility and using skills reactionary to the situation which is very reminiscent of an FPS like Unreal Tournament?
    • when you hit things in TERA they flinch, they get bowled over, you get a satisfying sound effect that changes according to your weapon/attack and blood sprays in every direction?
    • there's active player collisions enabled meaning stronger attacks can physically force your opponent backwards even if they block with their shield?

Can't move all the time while casting/attacking

I can't remember the last action game I played where I could. It was either guided attacks (like TERA) or heavy combo based, and every animation counted.

and the animations lacking polish would be my main reasons for it feeling clunky. It's just not fluid. 

I let out an audible gasp IRL. If there's anything I strongly disagree with it's any criticism relating to the animations :s I could record and slow it down and the level of detail in the animations down to the fingers (I watched closely) was a nice touch.

and the animations lacking polish would be my main reasons for it feeling clunky. It's just not fluid. 

I let out an audible gasp IRL. If there's anything I strongly disagree with it's any criticism relating to the animations :s I could record and slow it down and the level of detail in the animations down to the fingers (I watched closely) was a nice touch.

Your mouth and eyes are animated as well on certain skills, not just the fingers, which I find weird considering you can't even see your face while fighting lol. Yet they still did it.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

I’ve been playing Tera since beta still subbed and enjoying the game. Quests are for the most part generic kill quests. I never read into that too much as being dull rather then it's just about the challenge not getting hit and  learning each zones mobs tactics so it always fueled me along.  The lore and voice overs are pretty decent despite what people say compared to most Asian to English conversions. You can mount up at level 1 which is a welcome change.

Tera’s strength is the combat and it does it very well. I’ve heard many say it’s clunky, it’s more strategic in design, and it takes timing. It would be cool to move when casting and in melee but it would make it easier and less challenging. Like many games early on with a few skills it seems simplistic but in later levels with added skills you’ll find combos and mobs rewarding and challenging. Combat animation is outstanding, its attention to detail with facial, hand gestures, cool spells and melee combat.  

If you like action combat and like to target spells, melee and actually block or dodge incoming damage rather than leaving it up to math in your gear give it a shot it’s ftp now. Solo a BAM if you can, it’s fun and you’ll feel heroic. The goal is to not get hit, get it?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I can't remember the last action game I played where I could. It was either guided attacks (like TERA) or heavy combo based, and every animation counted.

No worries, your not required to agree. You asked and I explained from my perspective at least. The animations aren't bad, but they aren't as fluid as I feel they should be for an action game. Not a debatable point really because thats just my opinion. Personally I've played a great number of action games that let you cast and attack while moving, I've played a few MMO's with action combat as well that allowed you to move while attacking and casting. It's part of the action oriented aspect of the combat. 

GW2 and TERA both wanted to add more action oriented combat without going full action combat so both made decisions that kept them from being full fledged action combat games. TERA locked you in place durring a lot of the combat while GW2 still used the ability to tab target. Neither approach is bad, but neither is true action combat. 

TERA's approach to the hybrid just felt clunky to me. Not sure what to say beyond that. It's obvious that you don't agree with me but I'm not entirely certain what you expect from me because regardless of your explanations its still how I feel. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

i found the animations great and overall love the character looks in general.. the stop casting is annoying and sort of kills the ranged classes for me.. the one issue i had is some combos especially on my slayer didn't feel like they flowed well together when executing them in sequence.. its the transistion sometimes you can notice a stop pause then switches to next skill animation and it sort of got annoying for me.. i also wish they had more interactions with mobs aside from just knocking them over like how B&S does it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s2uk_lOnuQ

but in all honesty it's not even the crappy questing that's my biggest issue it's the largely single role class system.. i just can't get into having to start a whole new character in this game(i guess yea it's the questing that makes this stick out even more) just to want to play another role.. I liked in Rift even though you had a role you usually were "best" at you always could play other roles on any one character..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Vunak23

For some reason you can't rebing keys in the tutorial, hence why most of us hate it and want it gone. Combat is much more reactive then GW2's having played them both and not just giving them 10 minutes, no actually playing them. TERA destroys GW2's combat it actually requires thought process.

i think that is just personal preference. When i play play Tera i use a gamepad and it feels great. When i use keyboard and mouse GW2 combat is better for me. Like i said, its just preference. TERAs combat doesnt require any thought (maybe GW2? either) but TERAs definitelly doesnt. I have never died in TERA, Never.... and all i do is slam X and Y and press B when i need to block with my zerker. No thoughts at all because the combat is very slow due to the heavy animation locks with any class. And mobs are friendly enough to step back once in a while to let you take the iniciative....

I prefer GW2 combat with mouse and keyboard, Teras with a gamepad. Both are good, i like both but again.... this comments that TERA requires thinking is false advertisement.... its not even that actiony like EnMasse claimed. But i dont play TERA for the controls, Only the Graphics keep me loging in once in a while. But again, its personal preference.

No worries, your not required to agree. You asked and I explained from my perspective at least. The animations aren't bad, but they aren't as fluid as I feel they should be for an action game. Not a debatable point really because thats just my opinion. Personally I've played a great number of action games that let you cast and attack while moving, I've played a few MMO's with action combat as well that allowed you to move while attacking and casting. It's part of the action oriented aspect of the combat. 

GW2 and TERA both wanted to add more action oriented combat without going full action combat so both made decisions that kept them from being full fledged action combat games. TERA locked you in place durring a lot of the combat while GW2 still used the ability to tab target. Neither approach is bad, but neither is true action combat. 

TERA's approach to the hybrid just felt clunky to me. Not sure what to say beyond that. It's obvious that you don't agree with me but I'm not entirely certain what you expect from me because regardless of your explanations its still how I feel. 

No problem, GrayGhostIt's nothing more than a "to each his own" kind of thing. 

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Your mouth and eyes are animated as well on certain skills, not just the fingers, which I find weird considering you can't even see your face while fighting lol. Yet they still did it.

They went too far at times :p

http://nl.reddit.com/r/TeraOnline/comments/173jib/ive_started_playing_tera_recently_and_its_awesome/

I like and play GW2 also but find combat animations strange looking. Casters lean way forward in an awkward position while casting. Melee combat feet placement is unrealistic and a bit too fast is you ask me.

IMO playing enjoying both I find GW2's combat the worse part of the game. Even at 80 you don't really feel heroic,everything else is done very well.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Ten minutes on the prologue isn't really a good way to judge the game, the only purpose the prologue really has is to show you level 20 skills without having to level to 20 so you can see if a class is right for you or not, the prologue is entirely skippable if you didn't know. Just log out to character selection, log back in and it gives you the choice of prologue or island of dawn.

That being said...even the island of Dawn or the first 20 levels aren't good enough to judge the game. Sadly the good part is at the end, I wish theyd just do away with levels in an MMO, you'd retain such a larger playerbase.

That's all fair enough - but I'm just trying to say the game doesn't do a great job off the bat getting a player in and really making them engaged.

One of my best friends told me 'The game gets good at level 20 and on' and I asked him if that didn't seem kind of absurd and sad - like a big missed opportunity.

Perhaps as I play on, I will end up liking it.  But as a first impression it definitely feels lacking.

I am just gonna say this much: At first when I played EVE Online I hated it, I got a trial, fired it up and could barely figure out how to undock and control my ship, logged off after 20 min, next time I was like "lets give it another try", spent around 3 hours... next day spent close to 9 hours... ffw 7 years and I am still playing the bloody thing though the first 3-4 years were rough as hell as I couldn't afford the monthly fee ( I kept playing on and off on trial accounts). First impressions are important but you can learn to forgive most games if they give you a shit intro if they're worth it down the line (main reason these days I go into a game blunt nosed so to say, I care little for the introductory stuff, I just power through and see what's behind the noob area glamour).

Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Ten minutes on the prologue isn't really a good way to judge the game, the only purpose the prologue really has is to show you level 20 skills without having to level to 20 so you can see if a class is right for you or not, the prologue is entirely skippable if you didn't know. Just log out to character selection, log back in and it gives you the choice of prologue or island of dawn.

That being said...even the island of Dawn or the first 20 levels aren't good enough to judge the game. Sadly the good part is at the end, I wish theyd just do away with levels in an MMO, you'd retain such a larger playerbase.

That's all fair enough - but I'm just trying to say the game doesn't do a great job off the bat getting a player in and really making them engaged.

One of my best friends told me 'The game gets good at level 20 and on' and I asked him if that didn't seem kind of absurd and sad - like a big missed opportunity.

Perhaps as I play on, I will end up liking it.  But as a first impression it definitely feels lacking.

I am just gonna say this much: At first when I played EVE Online I hated it, I got a trial, fired it up and could barely figure out how to undock and control my ship, logged off after 20 min, next time I was like "lets give it another try", spent around 3 hours... next day spent close to 9 hours... ffw 7 years and I am still playing the bloody thing though the first 3-4 years were rough as hell as I couldn't afford the monthly fee ( I kept playing on and off on trial accounts). First impressions are important but you can learn to forgive most games if they give you a shit intro if they're worth it down the line (main reason these days I go into a game blunt nosed so to say, I care little for the introductory stuff, I just power through and see what's behind the noob area glamour).

this is sound advice. i was playing wow at the time when the first GW came out played through a day hated it came back years later and couldn't figure out why at the time I did. Enjoyed the game for years after. Since then I look past the intro with something new or even so after about a year a game is much more polished.

Originally posted by rojo6934

For some reason you can't rebing keys in the tutorial, hence why most of us hate it and want it gone. Combat is much more reactive then GW2's having played them both and not just giving them 10 minutes, no actually playing them. TERA destroys GW2's combat it actually requires thought process.

i think that is just personal preference. When i play play Tera i use a gamepad and it feels great. When i use keyboard and mouse GW2 combat is better for me. Like i said, its just preference. TERAs combat doesnt require any thought (maybe GW2? either) but TERAs definitelly doesnt. I have never died in TERA, Never.... and all i do is slam X and Y and press B when i need to block with my zerker. No thoughts at all because the combat is very slow due to the heavy animation locks with any class. And mobs are friendly enough to step back once in a while to let you take the iniciative....

I prefer GW2 combat with mouse and keyboard, Teras with a gamepad. Both are good, i like both but again.... this comments that TERA requires thinking is false advertisement.... its not even that actiony like EnMasse claimed. But i dont play TERA for the controls, Only the Graphics keep me loging in once in a while. But again, its personal preference.

TERAs requires a lot more skill than GW2s, no doubt, for multiple reasons(such as aiming, one shot mechanics, active dodging/blocking and the animation rooting) it's just that TERAs lower levels suck. Nothing is difficult until higher levels which is unfortunate. That's why everyone says it's clunky and it's easy, because well...1-50 it is clunky and easy. Level 53 when you hit Val Elenium is when the mobs get so frustrating you want to pull your hair out.

In GW2 I completed Arah the first day I hit 80(which was GW2s hardest dungeon), 8 months later theres content in TERA I still haven't completed.

There was nothing remotely challenging about GW2 unfortunately and very little progression. However GW2 did lower levels right, you get a lot of your skills and fast paced combat early, TERA did lower levels really poorly so in the end they lost most players early on. Also TERAs questing loses plenty of people as well between 1-59, another thing GW2 did better.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

rofl, famous last words of flop 2012 mmo fanboys. bashing gw2 on the long descent into hell. so sad.

Originally posted by Rthuth434

rofl, famous last words of flop 2012 mmo fanboys. bashing gw2 on the long descent into hell. so sad.

I made points on each games flaws and successes relative to eachother in the same post, you're the only fanboy here because you view what I had to say as me trying to bring up TERA by putting down GW2.

TERA requires more skill in PvE, I beat Arah in GW2 the same day I hit 80 , 8 months later there's content in TERA I still haven't beat, that says all that needs to be said in that regard. While GW2 certainly does early levels better and handles questing/leveling much better.

I bash TERA plenty, was recently banned on the TERA forums for crossing the line, but i'll support it where it deserves support.

I'm not a fanboy don't worry, I love TERA but I'm not above admitting it does more things wrong than I can count, but then again so does GW2.

Originally posted by Rthuth434

You again. The "55 year old". I love people who can't even be arsed to start sentences with majuscules. Off into my list you go.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

As someone who didn't make it out of the tutorial before I was "done", I agree with you OP - regarding the first impression.  No amount of disagreeing or painting the late-game pretty will change the fact that a players first impression is dismal.

I also agree with the games you have in your sig.  Here's hoping.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

I wouldnt be against TERA removing all quests ( or 99% ) and just be about monster killing. The quests just seem out of place.

The combat for me is a little slow too.

Slow at low levels fast at high levels. TERA does what so many other MMOs do...it sucks early on.

Actually I think that's wrong ....very few MMO's seem to suck at first , most are good untill mid-level then the true nature comes out ....Tera just managed to suck at first bad enough that most folks didn't play it past beta weekends .

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by rojo6934

TERAs requires a lot more skill than GW2s, no doubt, for multiple reasons(such as aiming, one shot mechanics, active dodging/blocking and the animation rooting) it's just that TERAs lower levels suck. Nothing is difficult until higher levels which is unfortunate. That's why everyone says it's clunky and it's easy, because well...1-50 it is clunky and easy. Level 53 when you hit Val Elenium is when the mobs get so frustrating you want to pull your hair out.

In GW2 I completed Arah the first day I hit 80(which was GW2s hardest dungeon), 8 months later theres content in TERA I still haven't completed.

There was nothing remotely challenging about GW2 unfortunately and very little progression. However GW2 did lower levels right, you get a lot of your skills and fast paced combat early, TERA did lower levels really poorly so in the end they lost most players early on. Also TERAs questing loses plenty of people as well between 1-59, another thing GW2 did better.

I don't think it does and have played both. They are just different is all - neither is better, just different.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Oh pwease. GW2 PvE is a faceroll compared to Tera.

PvP is related to the skill of your enemy.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Oh pwease. GW2 PvE is a faceroll compared to Tera.

PvP is related to the skill of your enemy.

No it isnt - not to me anyway. I found Tera a little bland, myself. I still enjoyed the game but disliked that you had to be planted to use skills.

• theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102
    all depends on personal taste.... But one classes that u can really see the diffrence in player skill is mystic and priest. I seen many. Top gear priests blaming tanks and dps for the wipe. And +9 priest managing not only to heal but also dps.
  • wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    game is so boring, kill 5 of those, bring me 5 of these, then report to mr.whatzername. people still play this stuff?
  • XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Nice to know the best players ingame that use Keyboard and mouse are doing it wrong. Just admit it action mmo's aren't your specialty. Try point and click games they might be up your alley.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Godshelp12
    bad first impression.

Wow.........