Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Dynamic Events ARE revolutionary, I can't wait till they are evolutionary!

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

If the change is big enough then yes DE is big enough of a change from classic quest "?" hub

Actually, I can think of the same thing but introduced previously in another MMO haha.

An area where once you get nearby you are notified of the event in progress.  If you want you can head to the event with other players, and there are progress bars, and rewards for completing each part of it.  Also, there are different outcomes based on the players actions - not stopping an attack can have huge negative consequences for instance.

So yes, EVE has been doing this longer than GW2, EVE is revolutionary, and GW2 has excellent borrowing skills.

really depends what you mean by huge negative consequences because you basically just described GW2 DE system... main thing about the DE system it doesn't have permanent long lasting effects but that's mostly because they wanted the most amount of people to enjoy all the events.. yes it would great if the giant destroyed the town and it was rubble for a week till it got rebuilt.. but then during that week no one would get to experience an awsome giant fight... sure they could of made a whole new set of quest chains while the town was being rebuilt but with the size of the zones and amount of events going on this would take an incredible amount of time and don't think it's really plausable for a game like this at launch. But that doesn't mean it's not something it could easily grow into over time

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

If the change is big enough then yes DE is big enough of a change from classic quest "?" hub

Actually, I can think of the same thing but introduced previously in another MMO haha.

An area where once you get nearby you are notified of the event in progress.  If you want you can head to the event with other players, and there are progress bars, and rewards for completing each part of it.  Also, there are different outcomes based on the players actions - not stopping an attack can have huge negative consequences for instance.

So yes, EVE has been doing this longer than GW2, EVE is revolutionary, and GW2 has excellent borrowing skills.

really depends what you mean by huge negative consequences because you basically just described GW2 DE system... main thing about the DE system it doesn't have permanent long lasting effects but that's mostly because they wanted the most amount of people to enjoy all the events.. yes it would great if the giant destroyed the town and it was rubble for a week till it got rebuilt.. but then during that week no one would get to experience an awsome giant fight... sure they could of made a whole new set of quest chains while the town was being rebuilt but with the size of the zones and amount of events going on this would take an incredible amount of time and don't think it's really plausable for a game like this.

The consequences make being in the area unfavorable in terms of combat and money making.  It is an actual effect on player activities - rather than just seeing centaurs standing around in the farm today instead of farmer npcs.

If players want, if the choose, they can fight it off and retake it when the choose to do so.

So I am glad you see I described GW2 DE system, especially since another MMORPG had it years earlier.

Revolutionary, yeah, I lolled indeed.

really depends what you mean by huge negative consequences because you basically just described GW2 DE system... main thing about the DE system it doesn't have permanent long lasting effects but that's mostly because they wanted the most amount of people to enjoy all the events.. yes it would great if the giant destroyed the town and it was rubble for a week till it got rebuilt.. but then during that week no one would get to experience an awsome giant fight... sure they could of made a whole new set of quest chains while the town was being rebuilt but with the size of the zones and amount of events going on this would take an incredible amount of time and don't think it's really plausable for a game like this.

The consequences make being in the area unfavorable in terms of combat and money making.  It is an actual effect on player activities - rather than just seeing centaurs standing around in the farm today instead of farmer npcs.

If players want, if the choose, they can fight it off and retake it when the choose to do so.

So I am glad you see I described GW2 DE system, especially since another MMORPG had it years earlier.

don't remember EVE's entire questing system being built anything like that or even having a main questing system at all in this manner.. really have no clue what you are talking about.. but i did only play EvE around its launch so things may of changed

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Is that a question?

I wasn't trying to trivialize you, I was trying to help you to make sense.

A relevant quote: "You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye,: and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye."

In other words, it is funny when a blatant fanboy with no tolerance for any criticism of "his" game tells someone else to make sense.

Anything to say about Guild Wars 2 Dynamic Events though?  Or are you so enamoured with me that you can't stop talking to me anymore?  ;)

Personally, I prefer games, and women.  Just the way I roll baby.

So yeah, about this GW2 dynamic event stuff, any idea when they're come up with some of their own ideas instead of combining and reducing other MMOs ideas?

It IS a relevant quote, and the interesting thing about it is if you are telling it to someone to show how they are wrong, than you are seriously missing the point.

Here is the thing. I would gladly debate the pros and cons of GW2 and their dynamic events but arguing with someone that chooses to mince words and quote halftruths is an excercise in futility. So if you want to throw offhand remarks back and forth all day thats fine, but if you actually want a intelligent conversation, you're going to need to upgrade your demeanor first.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

don't remember EVE's entire questing system being built anything like that or even having a main questing system at all in this manner.. really have no clue what you are talking about.. but i did only play EvE around its launch so things may of changed

Hes talking about Sanshas Incursions, It's pretty much like RIFTS rifts.

It's a nice feature that fits in well with EVEs lore and break the mission running boredom.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Is that a question?

A relevant quote: "You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye,: and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye."

In other words, it is funny when a blatant fanboy with no tolerance for any criticism of "his" game tells someone else to make sense.

Anything to say about Guild Wars 2 Dynamic Events though?  Or are you so enamoured with me that you can't stop talking to me anymore?  ;)

So yeah, about this GW2 dynamic event stuff, any idea when they're come up with some of their own ideas instead of combining and reducing other MMOs ideas?

It IS a relevant quote, and the interesting thing about it is if you are telling it to someone to show how they are wrong, than you are seriously missing the point.

Here is the thing. I would gladly debate the pros and cons of GW2 and their dynamic events but arguing with someone that chooses to mince words and quote halftruths is an excercise in futility. So if you want to throw offhand remarks back and forth all day thats fine, but if you actually want a intelligent conversation, you're going to need to upgrade your demeanor first.

Welcome back.  Any input on the recent development of how GW2's system was largely in other MMOs especially since 2010?

Also, it is again funny (ironic, hypocritical)  that you tell me to upgrade my demeanor, when a certain someone had a little outburst of anger and profanity in this very thread ;)

Originally posted by Torgrim

It's a nice feature that fits in well with EVEs lore and break the mission running boredom.

yea just looked those up looks like they weren't added until fairly recently(2011 right?) but from the description they do sound like Rifts invasions..

yea just looked those up looks like they weren't added until fairly recently(2011 right?) but from the description they do sound like Rifts invasions..

Winter 2010 according to the expansion listing on the official website.  But yeah, similar to Rift invasions.  The concept is not new, nor would I call Incursions or Rifts revolutions really.

But now that GW2 did their version, apprently its' a revolution lol

Winter 2010 according to the expansion listing on the official website.  But yeah, similar to Rift invasions.  The concept is not new, nor would I call Incursions or Rifts revolutions really.

But now that GW2 did their version, apprently its' a revolution lol

think you sort of missed the whole point or really put no time into this game... i have played Rift for a failrly long time and enjoyed my time in the game a good deal.. got full rank 8(highest at time) pvp gear on my rogue.. leveled one of each class to max.. i know how Rifts rifts and invasions work and if you really can't see the difference between those and GW2s system then you really didn't put much time into seeing how the system works as a whole.. it's also not just one thing that to me makes gw2 system a step above its everything and how it blends together and allows people to play in the way they enjoy and reward them for that...

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Is that a question?

Welcome back.  Any input on the recent development of how GW2's system was largely in other MMOs especially since 2010?

Also, it is again funny (ironic, hypocritical)  that you tell me to upgrade my demeanor, when a certain someone had a little outburst of anger and profanity in this very thread ;)

Ahh, so you'd rather cast offhand remarks at each other all day. Thats fine, I really didn't expect you to be willing to challenge me in real debate. 

As for your first comment; Like was stated multiple times over in the thread (I know you missed it, but the people with reading comprehension didn't)  how Anet didn't claim that DE's were new, rather that they used them to a much greater extent, largely changing the feel of the game.

Now, just for fun, we'll let you look through the thread and see if you can find the quote ! Even a mouse can find it's way through a maze to get to the food, so you should be able to...

Nevermind, I'll look it up for you later when I have time to waste

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Is that a question?

Ahh, so you'd rather cast offhand remarks at each other all day. Thats fine, I really didn't expect you to be willing to challenge me in real debate. 

As for your first comment; Like was stated multiple times over in the thread (I know you missed it, but the people with reading comprehension didn't)  how Anet didn't claim that DE's were new, rather that they used them to a much greater extent, largely changing the feel of the game.

Now, just for fun, we'll let you look through the thread and see if you can find the quote ! Even a mouse can find it's way through a maze to get to the food, so you should be able to...

So they aren't new, just more of the same in one place.  This is revolutionary?

That really is the key word here.  How are GW2 Dynamic Events even close to revolutionary?  The concept has been around in different forms for quite a while.  The GW2 version just has its own spin on it.

It's probably closer to a tweak than a revolution.

I mean perhaps if you meant they are a huge change from systems in Guild Wars 1, I could agree with that.  They aren't a huge change from systems in other MMOs though.

WoW caught a bit of flak when players claimed that it took ideas from other MMOs and just put its spin on the same things, and made them easier.

Now Guild Wars 2 did the same thing, and here we are with a "revolution".

I guess the real influence and revolution came from Blizzard - showing that bringing other MMOs ideas and features into one MMO and altering them slightly can be a viable business.

Is that a question?

So they aren't new, just more of the same in one place.  This is revolutionary?

That really is the key word here.  How are GW2 Dynamic Events even close to revolutionary?  The concept has been around in different forms for quite a while.  The GW2 version just has its own spin on it.

It's probably closer to a tweak than a revolution.

I mean perhaps if you meant they are a huge change from systems in Guild Wars 1, I could agree with that.  They aren't a huge change from systems in other MMOs though.

WoW caught a bit of flak when players claimed that it took ideas from other MMOs and just put its spin on the same things, and made them easier.

Now Guild Wars 2 did the same thing, and here we are with a "revolution".

I guess the real influence and revolution came from Blizzard - showing that bringing other MMOs ideas and features into one MMO and altering them slightly can be a viable business.

imho wow was revolutionary in how it streamlined the themepark model think most people wouldn't argue that at all.. in the same way GW2 took many of the ideas from older games and improved upon the foundations and made an entire game on the idea of players working together.. gone are the node races, the ganking, kill stealing, and built a game around bringing people to want to play with and help eachother.. to me its a pretty damn big step but obviouslly others have other values in their games...

imho wow was revolutionary in how it streamlined the themepark model think most people wouldn't argue that at all.. in the same way GW2 took many of the ideas from older games and improved upon the foundations and made an entire game on the idea of players working together.. gone are the node races, the ganking, kill stealing, and built a game around bringing people to want to play with and help eachother.. to me its a pretty damn big step but obviouslly others have other values in their games...

Sure, those are a lot of nice things.  However, they aren't Dynamic Events.

There is even some bad parts to those - such as with large non-group zerg effort and everyone getting their cookie after a kiil, there is often less communication.

It can become a bunch of anonymous characters doing the same thing at the same time, but not together.

The player interaction suffered to make the individual benifit in a zerg.

But with the Dynamic Events... it's been around in other MMOs several times, this is just the GW2 spin on it.  It's nice to work together in a themepark sure, and the everybody wins philosophy is nice for some, but the events just aren't a revolution really

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    @kade
    Look at the big picture. The events themselves are similar to other attempts but with a bit of a different spin like you mention. But the game is built around them completely, which definitely males it very different and at the very least a "revolution".

Originally posted by Kuppa
    @kade
    Look at the big picture. The events themselves are similar to other attempts but with a bit of a different spin like you mention. But the game is built around them completely, which definitely males it very different and at the very least a "revolution".

I'd say it was a significant change from the previous game for sure.

Rift was also based around Rifts.  You know, the name and all too ha

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    You and me both know that even though Rift is called...Rift. They don't even come close to be as integral to that game as DEs are to GW2. Rift still feels like a traditional quest driven game, that is not the same in GW2.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

You can argue how much you like that you feel single DE chain is the same as "?" or it's repeative and whatnot.

When the entire gameworld is built on DE then we have something new, the world itself is in motion, the world feels more alive, things happends around you with or without your presence.

You see a caravan moves on the road, the NPCs are talking about this and that and they keep moving on the road, there is no ? over their heads.

You keep doing your stuff, mining gathering, killing mobs, then when you run past that same caravan down the road one of the guards feel sick and they are talking about wherenever you are there or not.

It all opens up later on to a DE.

That I feel is more a living breathing world were things happends around you, not a NPC standing still with a ? over their heads and the mobs you are suppose to kill are standing still on a field across that fence.

That is what GW2 is all about, not how boring or simplistic a single DE might be in your opinion It's the whole game that moves and change around you, that's the real dynamic gameplay.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Myria

When you feel the need to start your post with a pointless insult, you've already well and truly lost.

Learn to read everything (and understand it) before answering

Unnecessary. Nobody's really said anything new since,oh, March maybe?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Beyond this forum who actualy said GW2 was revolutionary?  its not revolutionary as far as i can tell, it is evolutionary, and it is a great game.  As a gamer thats all i care about.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

When Guild Wars 2 was first announced several years ago a set of features and goals was specified. Among those features were dynamic events. At the time, no game had attempted anything even close to what was described in the interview. Since that time, several games have used the term Dynamic Events to describe random events (RIFT comes to mind) but random events are not dynamic events. I am not even sure you can call Rift's events random as they always occur at the same location and after a specific amount of time had passed since the end of the previous event.

Dynamic Events as envisioned by Mike during the interview were indeed revolutionary. They like many other features included in the first announcement, did not quite come out the way they were envisioned at that time. All that said; dynamic events as they are found in Guild Wars 2 today are head and shoulders better than any other implementation I have seen (I have not played SW:TOR so I am not addressing those).

I am going to paraphrase the OP, I can't wait until real dynamic events become common place.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by kzaske

When Guild Wars 2 was first announced several years ago a set of features and goals was specified. Among those features were dynamic events. At the time, no game had attempted anything even close to what was described in the interview. Since that time, several games have used the term Dynamic Events to describe random events (RIFT comes to mind) but random events are not dynamic events. I am not even sure you can call Rift's events random as they always occur at the same location and after a specific amount of time had passed since the end of the previous event.

Dynamic Events as envisioned by Mike during the interview were indeed revolutionary. They like many other features included in the first announcement, did not quite come out the way they were envisioned at that time. All that said; dynamic events as they are found in Guild Wars 2 today are head and shoulders better than any other implementation I have seen (I have not played SW:TOR so I am not addressing those).

I am going to paraphrase the OP, I can't wait until real dynamic events become common place.

OK so its totally theirs because they changed the name.

Sorry but i gotta agree that no one has done them right yet. There is nothing Dynamic about the Dynamic events. They all have some kind of queue to start them off. Thus they are simply a ingame event. From timers to Talking to specific NPC's something triggers them. If something triggers them they aren't dynamic.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by Rayshe
    Originally posted by kzaske

OK so its totally theirs because they changed the name.

Sorry but i gotta agree that no one has done them right yet. There is nothing Dynamic about the Dynamic events. They all have some kind of queue to start them off. Thus they are simply a ingame event. From timers to Talking to specific NPC's something triggers them. If something triggers them they aren't dynamic.

the win/fail states do change them though no matter how they are triggered they will not always be played out the same.. during the first months so many people swamred all the zones of tyria almost no one got to see any fail at all.. even now many areas still have to many people during some events making them unable to fail.. when this happens you never get to see the alternate part of many of these events.. also im really trying to figure out how dynamic event in any way equates to permanent long lasting effect or infinitely changing variable with no loops.. GW2 quest system is in a constantly moving state of change which to me makes it a dynamic system.

Also in a game you ALWAYS need some sort of trigger it could be anything like you said a timer, a npc gets talked to, a certain event happens that starts another event,  something but you need a trigger... how would any program know when to start doing anything without any instruction.. think many people have a very off sense of what computer programming AI can actually acomplish.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Except what triggers them has nothing to do with them being dynamic or not.

And just to be more silly: for something to be dynamic it requires "trigger" without "trigger" its static lol

Im getting bored of quting myself so feel free to look for visual display of dynamic, its getting really silly how people want to change the definition of dynamic lol

the win/fail states do change them though no matter how they are triggered they will not always be played out the same.. during the first months so many people swamred all the zones of tyria almost no one got to see any fail at all.. even now many areas still have to many people during some events making them unable to fail.. when this happens you never get to see the alternate part of many of these events.. also im really trying to figure out how dynamic event in any way equates to permanent long lasting effect or infinitely changing variable with no loops.. GW2 quest system is in a constantly moving state of change which to me makes it a dynamic system.

Also in a game you ALWAYS need some sort of trigger it could be anything like you said a timer, a npc gets talked to, a certain event happens that starts another event,  something but you need a trigger... how would any program know when to start doing anything without any instruction.. think many people have a very off sense of what computer programming AI can actually acomplish.

It seems that anything short of AI creating stuff on the move is failure to them lol

+ i dont really see how a totally random game would work lol these people really have no clue what they are arguing about

+ i dont really see a point of events starting "randomly" whats the point of event going off if theres nobody there except unnecessary server clutter?

+ i never heard ANet say every DE has infinite number of variations and spawns totally new stuff every time you go through it, contrary, iirc they said that DEs have few possible outomes and if you repeat same DE youll inevitably repeat stuff

Originally posted by mikahr

And just to be more silly: for something to be dynamic it requires "trigger" without "trigger" its static lol

Im getting bored of quting myself so feel free to look for visual display of dynamic, its getting really silly how people want to chabge the definition of dynamic lol

It seems that anything short of AI creating stuff on the move is failure to them lol

So how is it a dynamic event, if the outcomes are always the same?

There are a few outcomes for each event, but always the same outcomes - it doesn't turn into something completely unexpected and shocking.  It's just the same end points over and over and over.

If you want to talk dynamic, there's always EVE and the actual actions of players.

The Guild Wars 2 events are mostly just a faceless zerg where any sort of communication isn't required, and the anonymous players drift off after never really knowing who anyone there was.

People are helping each other in Guild Wars 2 because of game design, and they are also playing together far less, because of game design.

Originally posted by mikahr

Im getting bored of quting myself so feel free to look for visual display of dynamic, its getting really silly how people want to chabge the definition of dynamic lol

So how is it a dynamic event, if the outcomes are always the same?

There are a few outcomes for each event, but always the same outcomes - it doesn't turn into something completely unexpected and shocking.  It's just the same end points over and over and over.

If you want to talk dynamic, there's always EVE and the actual actions of players.

The Guild Wars 2 events are mostly just a faceless zerg where any sort of communication isn't required, and the anonymous players drift off after never really knowing who anyone there was.

People are helping each other in Guild Wars 2 because of game design, and they are also playing together far less, because of game design.

still going by my guess you hardly put much time into this game at all and are making tons of assumptions.. not all events have the same exact outcome everytime that's the point there is a win/fail state to the system.. and again i was never under the impression dynamic means it permanently changes something or has a million variables as outcomes.. this would be a coding nightmare and would cause so many bugs and glitches the game would be unplayable...

Main thing GW2 needs for its events is a little more variation and like i said earlier some events that do have long lasting effects but in turn trigger new sets of events for longer periods of time..

Also yes GW2 combat requires less communication because its an action oriented game you don't have time to sit and type stuff,  you need to know how to move in battle and how to fight along with others.. they gave everyone a rez and everyone has tools to assist eachother and it makes you able to play with others without the constant need for direct communication. Again it's a design choice i enjoy others may not..