Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE is not all that "EVIL"

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Sandbox

The thing is though, The NGE was mainly LA, and it was LA reps (ie Julio Torres who was also responsble for KOTOR, Force Unleashed) selling the NGE when it emerged, and even some SOE staff (eg Tiggs) lost their jobs trying to stop the NGE from happening, but because SOE were the front focus they got slammed, and LA got away scot free, to screw evryone over agian with SWTOR

SOE is definately not evil.

I agree with EA being evil though!

Why are you continuing to spread this disinformation about the SOE and the NGE?

Because I simply do not believe anything else. Julio Torres is in that video, not Smedley or any one from SOE. Why would LA do that if the NGE was bad? They would not and let SOE do it if they were the ones responsible for the NGE

Here is the initial forum post of the NGE on SOE forums, again by Julio Torres/LA and not SOE.

Whoevers "baby" it was, would be the ones promoting it.

The only reason SOE had anything to do with it, was because they were the ones hosting it. LA called the shots, as stated by Smedley himself

Well there's your problem.  You listened to Smedley!  He's just like a politician, when he rolls over at night and tells his significant other that he loves them, he's lying!  

I didn't listen to Smedley, I thought that before he even said it. I just don't believe he has the stones to to make a major change to another companies IP. What LA says, SOE does

It is the same thing as what happened with the prosieben deal, higher ups were making EU players go to prosieben, and he did not have the stones to change their minds, although did eventually, or the higher ups saw that it was a mistake.

The thing is though, The NGE was mainly LA, and it was LA reps (ie Julio Torres who was also responsble for KOTOR, Force Unleashed) selling the NGE when it emerged, and even some SOE staff (eg Tiggs) lost their jobs trying to stop the NGE from happening, but because SOE were the front focus they got slammed, and LA got away scot free, to screw evryone over agian with SWTOR

Because I simply do not believe anything else. Julio Torres is in that video, not Smedley or any one from SOE. Why would LA do that if the NGE was bad? They would not and let SOE do it if they were the ones responsible for the NGE

Here is the initial forum post of the NGE on SOE forums, again by Julio Torres/LA and not SOE.

The only reason SOE had anything to do with it, was because they were the ones hosting it. LA called the shots, as stated by Smedley himself

Torres was the Lucas Arts Producer, its custom that the producer presents updates to their games.

So, accordingly to YOU, Smedley said they only hosted the game? Who did the design and development then? Who did the internal secret game testing? It was all done by SOE and it’s very well described by the late SOE developer Jeff Freeman at this very site, search for posts by Dundee.

After the NGE was done, and it was realsed a mistake, Julio Torres left and SOE took over. Producers of SWG after Julio Torres was SOE

SOE hosted the game, and also were the developers, but it was LA / Julio Torres that told them what to do.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Well there's your problem.  You listened to Smedley!  He's just like a politician, when he rolls over at night and tells his significant other that he loves them, he's lying!  

I didn't listen to Smedley, I thought that before he even said it. I just don't believe he has the stones to to make a major change to another companies IP. What LA says, SOE does

It is the same thing as what happened with the prosieben deal, higher ups were making EU players go to prosieben, and he did not have the stones to change their minds, although did eventually, or the higher ups saw that it was a mistake.

Super, lighten up a bit man, I was only half serious.  I don't trust Smed as far as I can throw a punch and hit him in the throat, but I was just trying to put a little humor in here to lighten the mood a bit.  I didn't play SWG so I have no idea who did what, but I don't trust SOE for other decisions they've made.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    SOE are the best gaming company out there,best MMORPG's and best customer service.Never had a problem at all and in VG I get a GM contacting me in game sometimes within 5 minutes of sending my ticket,quite simply the best I have ever experienced.Also I have my best MMO memories from playing EQ2 .

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

FKN DERAILED!

I didn't intend for this post to be another NGE discussion....

Let it go, she ain't coming back... I know she broke your heart... There's other fish in the sea...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Super, lighten up a bit man, I was only half serious.  I don't trust Smed as far as I can throw a punch and hit him in the throat, but I was just trying to put a little humor in here to lighten the mood a bit.  I didn't play SWG so I have no idea who did what, but I don't trust SOE for other decisions they've made.

Lighten up? I was only explaining stuff!

No company can really be trusted but SOE have been the only company I have managed to get any positivity out of. All others is like banging your head against a brick wall. Maybe it is because I stuck with them for SWG the game, not for SOE themselves, and got to know the staff more. SOE has more of a clue to running a MMO than most other companies, and they evolve with the MMO market.

Originally posted by Fangrim
    SOE are the best gaming company out there,best MMORPG's and best customer service.Never had a problem at all and in VG I get a GM contacting me in game sometimes within 5 minutes of sending my ticket,quite simply the best I have ever experienced.Also I have my best MMO memories from playing EQ2 .

When did you start playing VG?  I was there from closed beta until about 6-9 months after release.  SOE basically let it rot for a long time.  I will agree though that I haven't had issues with CS.

Lighten up? I was only explaining stuff!

No company can really be trusted but SOE have been the only company I have managed to get any positivity out of. All others is like banging your head against a brick wall. Maybe it is because I stuck with them for SWG the game, not for SOE themselves, and got to know the staff more. SOE has more of a clue to running a MMO than most other companies, and they evolve with the MMO market.

Just thought you may have misunderstood where I was going man, that's all.  

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Torres was the Lucas Arts Producer, its custom that the producer presents updates to their games.

So, accordingly to YOU, Smedley said they only hosted the game? Who did the design and development then? Who did the internal secret game testing? It was all done by SOE and it’s very well described by the late SOE developer Jeff Freeman at this very site, search for posts by Dundee.

After the NGE was done, and it was realsed a mistake, Julio Torres left and SOE took over. Producers of SWG after Julio Torres was SOE

SOE hosted the game, and also were the developers, but it was LA / Julio Torres that told them what to do.

The net is full of testimonies regarding who did what; you just have made up your mind to ignore the truth.

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170
    I must admit, when I see SOE on a game title I lose interest immediately.  To me, SOE is where games go to die a slow agonizing death.  I do not recall any need to use their customer service in the past.  However, your post seems to indicate that SOE is good now, because you asked if they would take your money and they said yes.
  • turkishmafiaturkishmafia Member UncommonPosts: 57

SWG, 'nuff said.

No matter how amazing  a game they release is, it's future is not guaranteed. Everything you work for may mean nothing overnight.

Originally posted by Wighty

FKN DERAILED!

I didn't intend for this post to be another NGE discussion....

Let it go, she ain't coming back... I know she broke your heart... There's other fish in the sea...

Sorry but I thought it was relevant, as the NGE seems to be the main reason why people still bash SOE.

If people can see that Julio Torres was behind the NGE, and was also responsible for KOTOR, which did great there, then people may see that people make mistakes from time to time, and people can fianlly lighten up on SOE.  The Force Unleashed 1 was not that bad either, it was pretty good. SOE certainly do not need to be bashed for the NGE still, when they were not in full control of it, and neither should LA really, although they no longer exist, and it is under Disney now.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    never had a problem with sony in regards to my eq2 account or vanguard..i got nothing but help even when asking the most stupid questions..and believe me i made a few lol especially in early days of vanguard.i think that mmo companies in general are learning if they shit on the players they will cop for it.even funcom have improved.what more can i say.
  • SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

You don’t have to be an evil company to make people distrust you. Being stupid, ignorance or greedy are good candidates too. I don’t think SOE are evil.

If it generally was just as simple as to create one good CSR incident to get back peoples trust, companies would not need much of marketing departments anymore. It’s gullible at best.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Here's where I'm looking at it. These big publishers/in-house dev companies - I'm more and more inclined to stay away from any/all these peeps (except fifa)

Even AreneNet which is imo seemingly a cool company and excellent in it's interactions with it's community of players - is owned by it's pay-masters at NCSoft.

The problem is these big publishers are in it at the "strategy level" of investment/stock price/assets and capital - so all their decisions are about making this big entity bigger fish than other similar entities eg EA buying up companies to add into a spreadsheet that value somewhere eg IP.

=

I'm less and less interested in spending my leisure time interacting in that corporate cycle. Sure someone has to stump up the cash to invest in mmorpg development, but you look at the corporate culture of SOE and co. and their decisions in the past - it's always been about the big numbers: "How can we make more money out of this, before the next big release?" in the other big genre?

The more mmorpgs target specific niches with specific gameplay - the better imo.

*queasy* image

The "big publishers" are the only ones that can afford government sanctions.  Especially USA sanctions.  Which have gotten worse of late.

Originally posted by Fangrim

When did you start playing VG?  I was there from closed beta until about 6-9 months after release.  SOE basically let it rot for a long time.  I will agree though that I haven't had issues with CS.

I played from release the first time for around 4-6 months but my pc was pretty bad and struggled to run the game,especially when chunking.I went back a few weeks before F2P conversion and stayed for 5-6 months.

Which is longer than any of these 'New' MMO's.To me they are all rubbish.

I want a game I can play for years and the only one I ever found was EQ2.Don't get me wrong I could of probably stuck with VG for years too but I find it hard joining a game when its already been released for years.I have this feeling of beeing too far behind.I guess this is why they make these super easy games now so that people don't get that feeling and can catch up to players that have been there for years in a week or 2.

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

SOE is a corporation and what the head of Customer Service department is doing doesn't mean anything. It just means maybe the CS department deserves a good bonus. SOE's problem is the fact that their policy (the big guys, the board.. the CEO) they tend to mutate the games they publish/purchase to just grab some cash and not care about them much.

Examples:

EverQuest (post Verant Studio, SoL and PoP expansions destorying the focus of the game)

SWG (the NGE disaster)

Vanguard (they purchased the game from Sigil to park it, at one point it had one dedicated employee to update it. No expansions whatsoever)

PoxNora (they purchased it from Octopi and ruined it in many ways, they kept releasing "Legendaries" to grab as much cash as possible)

MTG Tactics (horrible product with ridiculous money grab online shop)

This being said doesn't mean we can't give SOE the benefit of the doubt. We can, everyone deserves a 10th chance. But I won't hold my breath, I'll be extremely skeptical and won't believe what Smed says until after careful observation. I'm not paying them any penny without knowing for sure they deserve it.

Originally posted by LauraFrost

SOE is a corporation and what the head of Customer Service department is doing doesn't mean anything. It just means maybe the CS department deserves a good bonus. SOE's problem is the fact that their policy (the big guys, the board.. the CEO) they tend to mutate the games they publish/purchase to just grab some cash and not care about them much.

Examples:

EverQuest (post Verant Studio, SoL and PoP expansions destorying the focus of the game)

SWG (the NGE disaster)

Vanguard (they purchased the game from Sigil to park it, at one point it had one dedicated employee to update it. No expansions whatsoever)

PoxNora (they purchased it from Octopi and ruined it in many ways, they kept releasing "Legendaries" to grab as much cash as possible)

This being said doesn't mean we can't give SOE the benefit of the doubt. We can, everyone deserves a 10th chance. But I won't hold my breath, I'll be extremely skeptical and won't believe what Smed says until after careful observation. I'm not paying them any penny without knowing for sure they deserve it.

Seems you have lots of knowledge about their game failures,I guess you have spent lots of money already and know of these things first hand.See you in EQ Next!

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I played EQ for a long time and had a great time.  I played EQ2 for a long time and had a great time.  Played SWG up until the CU, had a pretty good time.  I reopened my ancient EQ account from years ago, and yes I too forgot my original account name and password and secret question.  I asked them over the phone to give me the information so I could play EQ again, and they did.  It took all of about 30 seconds.

I am looking forward to EQ Next and so are you.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by LauraFrost

Examples:

SWG (the NGE disaster)

What you have described is well... business. Despite your dislike for them, they have (generally) done what is needed to make their games profitable, and sustainable. I am not going to say that everything they have done was good (SWG debacle for example), but I will say that they mistakes that they made casued them to lose money (not gain it). They didnt  get anyting over on anyone. Everquest is one of the longest running commercial MMORPGs. It hasnt lasted as long as it has without a lot of effort, from a lot of people. This alone is a testament to the quality of SOE as a publisher.

Having said all of this... SOE is now in the F2P market. In this market 90+% of all the players will NEVER pay anything. They are going to have to do a great job convincing a small amount of players to part with their money. This is a highly competative field, and one where service is a GREAT sales point. You should feel fully justified playing all of their F2P games, and NEVER paying a cent.

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Superman0

What you have described is well... business. Despite your dislike for them, they have (generally) done what is needed to make their games profitable, and sustainable. I am not going to say that everything they have done was good (SWG debacle for example), but I will say that they mistakes that they made casued them to lose money (not gain it). They didnt  get anyting over on anyone. Everquest is one of the longest running commercial MMORPGs. It hasnt lasted as long as it has without a lot of effort, from a lot of people. This alone is a testament to the quality of SOE as a publisher.

Having said all of this... SOE is now in the F2P market. In this market 90+% of all the players will NEVER pay anything. They are going to have to do a great job convincing a small amount of players to part with their money. This is a highly competative field, and one where service is a GREAT sales point. You should feel fully justified playing all of their F2P games, and NEVER paying a cent.

I call it bad business because most of these attempts actually is counter-productive. A good business is to make a quality product that would keep your clients/customers happy and keep coming. Most of these updates/policies doomed their products.

The only reason why Elder Scroll franchise/IP is so big is because Bethesda nourished it and took care of it and stick to its roots and philosophy. EverQuest IP, for instnace, could have been much bigger than what it is now if SOE would have done the same.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    I've never had problems with customer service from SOE... Pretty much all my hate comes from their handling of SWG.  They have made some good games though, or come close to it at least.  Planetside 1, SWG, Planetside 2....  All 3 will go down on my short favorites list.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I dont think "evil" is the right word but they have been clueless at times, and even lying straight out to the players a few times.

But I never had any problems with SOEs support, they always acted fast and fixed the few problems I have reported to them (same goes for my guildies). Restoring lost items and so on.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    SOE does not have to be "evil" for me to never do any business with them again. Ever.

They just have to be a dishonest company, which they have shown themselves to be, time and again.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    SOE does not have to be "evil" for me to never do any business with them again. Ever. They just have to be a dishonest company, which they have shown themselves to be, time and again.

I gave soe another shot with DCU but I should have stuck to my guns and not done business with them again after the nge debacle.  I don't think they are evil, but any company that openly lies to its customers and commits out and out fraud on those same customers deserves all the scorn people have heaped onto them.  Its the same as just because Lance Armstrong raised money for cancer doesn't mean we should forgive or forget all the lies he told and all the lives he destroyed protecting those lies.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.