Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mixed feelings about Player Housing

IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

While I am glad they are implementing open world player housing and cities, the PvP system may cause it to fall short of old school systems. (SWG in particular)

I won't be talking about instanced housing becuase I have 0 interest in it.

"Persistent, non-instanced, housing will have similar plot options and will be available all over the world ranging from PvE zones, in/near PvE cities, to larger plots of safe land set aside for housing neighborhoods. The value of these plots of land will vary and you may only own one plot of land at a time per character. While there are ways around this with multiple accounts or characters, it should restrict people from eating up all of the land to only turn around and try to sell it all. In addition, we will have mechanics in place to transfer or sell plots. There will be upkeep costs and other factors to empty out plots that are not maintained so they become available as the game progresses. While the open world land is limited, instanced housing is not. During release the housing plots in non-instanced housing will randomly become available and will continue to do so as we introduce more plots into the game. This should give everyone an opportunity to purchase land and prevent it from being gobbled up early on.

Player city housing is a slightly different beast as far as plots are concerned. Player city plots must be provided by the owner of the city and then assigned to a player to use. You maintain control of the contents of your housing unit and apply any normal restrictions or rules as you would in non-nation housing. Ultimate control of the plot is retained by the Nation that owns the city. If the Mayor of the city wants you gone they simply release your control of the plot and then do whatever they want with it. You can then move your house to one of the instanced areas, world areas, or to another Nation city."

In SWG some of the most memorable PvP experiences I had were in player cities. We were not fighting over the city, but we fought simply because we were enemies. In SWG you could flag for PvP in any area. Having safe PVE areas for housing in the Repopulation will never allow for these disruptive and personal wars, unless there is PvP flagging or guild v. guild wars. 

There was nothing as fulfilling as going into an enemies city and stirring up the ant hill. I am hoping for something that will allow this to take place in the Repopulation, even if it is just guild v. guild,

Player Housing/ Cities should be a place of trade, work, and sometimes WAR.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    pretty awsome they are adding in not 1 not 2 but 3 forms of player housing... :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    pretty awsome they are adding in not 1 not 2 but 3 forms of player housing... :)

I agree with that, but I want to fight in my city!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by dumpcat

well still got a ways till everything is set in stone so things may change.. i'd suggest posting your concerns over at the repopulation forums if you haven't already

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I thought there was a part in that blog about how the player nation cities could be taken over?

And they went on to explain that your house would be packed up to be placed elsewhere, but you could lose the whole city, fight there etc?

Not really sure what's goin on in this thread

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by dumpcat

And by all indications you will be able to do that.

Except in The Repop, unlike SWG, if you lose the war you also lose your city

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

"When another Rogue Nation seizes a city, the player housing plots will release and package player homes. Players will then have the option of placing their home on another plot. The player's home and and items within the home will not be lost or destroyed."

So yeah, sounds like fighting in cities?

Originally posted by kadepsyson

"When another Rogue Nation seizes a city, the player housing plots will release and package player homes. Players will then have the option of placing their home on another plot. The player's home and and items within the home will not be lost or destroyed."

So yeah, sounds like fighting in cities?

Yep! I just found that. So it's not the same as SWG, which is OK. I guess I jumped the gun on that one article.

"Cities will be safe for the most part unless they are actively under siege. We still have some finer points to finalize on this system, but it is understandable that if people are creeping in killing people day/night that it won't work well for non PvP players who are trying to take advantage of the cities. Unless the city hasn't placed any kind of defenses a rogue player or two shouldn't be able to just slip in and start slitting throats, it won't work that way (mileage might vary on the hardcore server, but mostly we are focused on the normal ruleset first and then once it is established we can work on what needs changed for the folks who want the hardcore rules)."

I can see being one of those rogue players stirring up trouble being fun as hell.

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104

You will have TWO options for placing houses in game that are non-instanced. In world in places that allow player housing and in Nation Cities.

There will be Non-Instanced housing plots that are NOT in cities that will give players a place to put their homes that will not be in PvP areas at all. This is a little more like what people in SWG were used to and enjoyed. 

Cities will be for Rogue Nations. Players will be able to build houses in these cities if the city Mayors give them the option. But yes city spots can be fought over. It will not be easy for another nation to take over a city already in place, but the option will be there.

Personally I think it'd be fun to grab a housing plot with a great location/view and either keep it or sell for a massive markup.

Personally I think it'd be fun to grab a housing plot with a great location/view and either keep it or sell for a massive markup.

That's an option, but keep in mind that you'll only be able to purchase one plot at a time. So long as you don't mind that enjoy.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It looks like a pretty well fleshed out system, but there were a couple things that made me pause too, I'll have to reread, see if I can put my finger on it.

Still more is better than less, and I'm happy they are doing it.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by CreepProphet

That's an option, but keep in mind that you'll only be able to purchase one plot at a time. So long as you don't mind that enjoy.

Yeah I saw that, but it is good to mention.

Also, since the plots are opening up at different times, it might give people time to find the one they want and have to stake it out until its ready.  Or in my case, it might mean when I go to bed someone will wander into it just as its available and take it hehe

Fun!

Originally posted by bcbully

It looks like a pretty well flesed out system, but there were a couple things that made me pause too, I'll have to reread, see if I can put my finger on it.

Ask away as soon as you find it. 

It looks like a pretty well flesed out system, but there were a couple things that made me pause too, I'll have to reread, see if I can put my finger on it.

I'll check the official forums to see if they replied, but one thing that wasn't quite clear to me was if the rooms and overall structure of a house was just a series of separate rooms that could be joined together.

I was hoping for something a tad bit more, such as placing walls instead of whole rooms.  I'll check that thread though.

Yeah I saw that, but it is good to mention.

Also, since the plots are opening up at different times, it might give people time to find the one they want and have to stake it out until its ready.  Or in my case, it might mean when I go to bed someone will wander into it just as its available and take it hehe

Fun!

Yeah I'm looking forward to snagging something when I get the chance, or maybe putting in with a Nation. Havn't decided yet.

I'll check the official forums to see if they replied, but one thing that wasn't quite clear to me was if the rooms and overall structure of a house was just a series of separate rooms that could be joined together.

I was hoping for something a tad bit more, such as placing walls instead of whole rooms.  I'll check that thread though.

I know for sure it's modular pieces and a whole house. Not sure about individual pieces. Whichever the devs go with will work for me. 

I know for sure it's modular pieces and a whole house. Not sure about individual pieces. Whichever the devs go with will work for me. 

No response to my question yet on their forums.  Oh well, we'll find out all the details eventually hehe

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

You place an entire building using a preset layout based on the blueprints. There is no room per room construction, only furniture/decoration placement inside of that buiding.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    From what I know of it, instance housing (can be decorated) will be safe from attacks. rogue nation housing which can be decorated will be at risk if another nation attacks your city. it's then packed up in to something like a data pad if destroyed like SWG had and you can unpack it on another plot.

About all I know of it. check the the forum and search, they seem to have allot of information in there thrown about in older post, which sometimes if you post a new topic it gets ignored until someone links you the topic.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

Originally posted by NC-John
    From what I know of it, instance housing (can be decorated) will be safe from attacks. rogue nation housing which can be decorated will be at risk if another nation attacks your city. it's then packed up in to something like a data pad if destroyed like SWG had and you can unpack it on another plot.

About all I know of it. check the the forum and search, they seem to have allot of information in there thrown about in older post, which sometimes if you post a new topic it gets ignored until someone links you the topic.

You're almost there! There's a third kind of housing that will be in game but not instanced and not in Nation cities.

Player houses package when a player wants to move the house to a new location, if they don't pay their maintenence or if as you mentioned the city changes to a new Nation (when the command center is destroyed by the Nation taking over the city).

There was more info posted today! Housing System

Originally posted by JC-Smith

You place an entire building using a preset layout based on the blueprints. There is no room per room construction, only furniture/decoration placement inside of that buiding.

Thanks for the clarification. The more I actually READ lol the more I am liking your ideas!