Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Engine

Hey, maybe I'm really late to the party in regard to this topic.

I was under the impression that ESO was going to run on the Hero Engine. After a doinf a little googling, I read statements from Zenimax that they only used the Hero Engine as a whiteboard, and about a million comments from gamers that they were full of it.

Being a busy bee, I scanned Hero Engine's website. I noticed that they still use SWTOR as an example of a Hero Engine game, and the Repopulation, but no ESO.

Futhermore, Hero Engine currently offers no Mac support, whereas ESO's Beta will offer full Mac support from Jump street.

Is it to me or did Zenimax actually build an in-house Engine, or is it a heavily modified Hero engine (that didn't work out so swell last time).

I'm curious if anyone knows the scoop. (Again, sorry if I'm a slowpoke on the subject.)

Even if it is a highly modified Hero engone, SWTOR can only render about 16 people at a time, whereas ESO says it can easily support 200 on screen, 2,000 per zone.

What gives?

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Hey, maybe I'm really late to the party in regard to this topic.

I was under the impression that ESO was going to run on the Hero Engine. After a doinf a little googling, I read statements from Zenimax that they only used the Hero Engine as a whiteboard, and about a million comments from gamers that they were full of it.

Being a busy bee, I scanned Hero Engine's website. I noticed that they still use SWTOR as an example of a Hero Engine game, and the Repopulation, but no ESO.

Futhermore, Hero Engine currently offers no Mac support, whereas ESO's Beta will offer full Mac support from Jump street.

Is it to me or did Zenimax actually build an in-house Engine, or is it a heavily modified Hero engine (that didn't work out so swell last time).

I'm curious if anyone knows the scoop. (Again, sorry if I'm a slowpoke on the subject.)

Even if it is a highly modified Hero engone, SWTOR can only render about 16 people at a time, whereas ESO says it can easily support 200 on screen, 2,000 per zone.

What gives?

From what I understand they used the hero engine to start designing the game while they developed their own engine in house, much like bioware started designing swtor on the aurora engine before they had the hero engine to work on

Edit: heres an interview about the engine link

• MollowMollow Member Posts: 66
    I'd like info on this subject aswell.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

As they say in the Game Informer article, when they first started they didn't have very many tools to work with. It takes a long time to create your own game engine. So they licensed the hero engine in order to test out some stuff and do mockups for ideas. That's all it was used for.

They've created their own engine in house. Their current engine will support Mac (as the game will be on PC and Mac) and also 200 plus players on the screen at once.

It is still a commone misconception that they are using the hero engine when they clearly are not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's using a modified version of the skyrim engine which itself is a heavily heavily modified version of the gamebryo engine used in loads of games. E.g. gamebryo 1 daoc & Morrowind. Gamebryo 2, fallout 3, warhammer, rift, oblivion.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's using a modified version of the skyrim engine which itself is a heavily heavily modified version of the gamebryo engine used in loads of games. E.g. gamebryo 1 daoc & Morrowind. Gamebryo 2, fallout 3, warhammer, rift, oblivion.

Would it be unreasonable to hope for collision detection then? Warhammer had it to a large degree.

Have they mentioned anything? Sorry if I 'm covering old news. I kind of promised myself to go in blind, but now I find myself getting itchy curious.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    ESO is using a custom-made engine developed inhouse by Zenimax; HeroEngine was used as a quick whiteboard solution. 
    Well not only that skyrim has collision detection.

Would it be unreasonable to hope for collision detection then? Warhammer had it to a large degree.

Have they mentioned anything? Sorry if I 'm covering old news. I kind of promised myself to go in blind, but now I find myself getting itchy curious.

I hope they do have collision detection in pvp, however in pve it will cause more problems than not (imagine org AH with collision /shudder), the only thing ive heard about collision detection is on this forum, so if its actually in the game is anyones guess as i couldnt find a source to confirm or deny it

Well not only that skyrim has collision detection.

Ha! I only rember now from the stupid companions you got every now and then. God I hate companions.

They could just form off cd vs players of your own faction. I would want it in pve vs mobs, it opens up lots of possibilities, and well I use it in tes single player if I play a warrior type with a ranged companion.
    Tie
    Yeah skyrim needs a "get outta the frikin way numbnuts" button.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Collision would be very nice to have in PvP.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    ESO is using a custom-made engine developed inhouse by Zenimax; HeroEngine was used as a quick whiteboard solution. 

So they say. No actual proof of that since they havent given any specific details about this "In-House" Engine they are making the game with.

Though, when the first info about TESO came out Zenimax sure made it a point to mention the Hero Engine and only backpeddled on that statement once there was a load of backlash about it.

Not that the Hero Engine is a bad game engine (unless its in the hands of EA/Bioware). It just seems really suspect that they first hailed HE and then did a complete 180 about it.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

So they say. No actual proof of that since they havent given any specific details about this "In-House" Engine they are making the game with.

Though, when the first info about TESO came out Zenimax sure made it a point to mention the Hero Engine and only backpeddled on that statement once there was a load of backlash about it.

Not that the Hero Engine is a bad game engine (unless its in the hands of EA/Bioware). It just seems really suspect that they first hailed HE and then did a complete 180 about it.

The cynic in me hears what you are saying, but Hero Engine does not support Mac at all, ESO does.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

The cynic in me hears what you are saying,  I guess we will just have to wait until they give more infobut Hero Engine does not support Mac at all, ESO does.

This is very true. I guess we will just have to wait till they give more info

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Look at the vids of both the games confirmed to use the hero engine (swtor repopulation), you can tell its the same engine, tes looks nothing like the hero engine.

tbh I cant remember any dev from ZOS saying it would use the hero engine, the only reason people said it was is because they licensed the engine and as far as i'm aware that info came from the delopers of the hero themselves rather than zenimax

Hero engine is good for knocking up quick prototypes. Probably used it for that.
  • MollowMollow Member Posts: 66

Thanks!