Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing again and having fun!

maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

My biggest issue not long after launch was server populations, you would be lucky to have more than 10 players on any one planet. Now they have consolidated servers the population is absolutely rocking! 200+ players per server? You got it!

My second biggest issue was inaccessability of instances, now they have an LFG tool. Job done!

I have subscribed. I tried F2P, it sucks, well it's not really F2P, it's trial mode or P2P. I'd rather just pay my sub and know that I get everything.

I'm finding the player base very friendly and I'm having a great time.

Ofc it isn't 100% perfect and it's not breaking the mould, but that doesn't stop it from being fun!

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The community for the most part is good on my server (Bergeran Colony.) You run into the occasional IMMATURE LEET BUTTHOLE who makes  PUGs annoying as hell, but for the most part I can't complain about the player community in TOR. 

In my view there was just too many planets in this game.. They could have cut the number of planets in half and consolidated more content on them so that they would appear more busy. Plus in my view the addition of the Fleets in BETA which took players out of the Capitol Cities was a big mistake. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    I gonna make it short and sweet; I really wish you would stop using the term "WoW-Kiddie".
    No problem.  Fixed.  ;)

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    No problem.  Fixed.  ;)

lol, +1

There Is Always Hope!

Kuddos, may I suggest "l33t"?
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

I'm curious, what is the story behind writing it that way? 

Originally posted by ktanner3

I'm curious, what is the story behind writing it that way? 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=l33t

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

LoL, haxors!

• solochoowookiesolochoowookie Member UncommonPosts: 54

Totally agree. My friends and I came back to SWTOR after giving guild bore II (zzzzzzz) some time. We changed servers and started from scratch. The increased population, community, amazing story lines, and lack of shocking bugs like at launch has been great. We have debated how we could be enjoying it so much more.

Really how?

1. Overall our excitement about Star Wars has gone through the roof with the news of EP7, and Lucas finally letting go. It gave us a “new hope” about something we all loved. Playing SWTOR just seemed like what we should do to celebrate.
    2. Taking our time – instead of pushing through to max level and max gear, we have slowly been jumping between multiple toons and factions. Enjoying the worlds, the lore, crafting, and community.
    3. Realistic expectations from BW and team. We wanted it to be the greatest thing ever played. For months leading up to beta we would follow it, then not sleep/eat/shower for the weekend in beta, then took time off work/family/life at launch. It’s pretty hard for anything to be cool enough to sustain that level of love. Like Lenny’s rabbits, we loved on it too hard.
    4. The Cartel Market. I know, I am shocked as well. It has been my bain, the gear, xp packs, the legacy unlocks. Well played BW, well played. Thanks for not putting anything worth a shit up in the last patch. Seriously. Thanks. My wife is yelling at me enough and more temptation is not good.

The team at BW took a good bit of heat with the game, layoffs, and launch issues. Some of it was valid. Some of those folks needed to go do something else after those mistakes. Consequences are reality in life. I hope they fix a few more things, continue to gain momentum, and make it more fun.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I'm done with the game.. There really isn't an open world to play in.. 80% of the playerbase is "flashpoint" hopping..  Approx 1 month after the game went live, no one was doing the heroic zone events..  There just wasn't any need to..  I would do a couple of the end game dailies for 2 man heroics, but that gets OLD fast.. End game consisted doing dailies on 2 planets and instances.. BORING.. I did way to much of that in WoW.. Rift wasn't much better.. I will never play another grind like that again.. If that is what this genre has turned into, then back to simple PC or PS3 games.. 
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         I'm done with the game.. There really isn't an open world to play in.. 80% of the playerbase is "flashpoint" hopping..  Approx 1 month after the game went live, no one was doing the heroic zone events..  There just wasn't any need to..  I would do a couple of the end game dailies for 2 man heroics, but that gets OLD fast.. End game consisted doing dailies on 2 planets and instances.. BORING.. I did way to much of that in WoW.. Rift wasn't much better.. I will never play another grind like that again.. If that is what this genre has turned into, then back to simple PC or PS3 games.. 

Every MMO released has the same probelm though.  Endgame is eventually reduced to logging on to raid, run daily/weekly/monthly quests, or run dungeons for badges/points/whatever.  Even games like TSW which is technically all endgame eventually are reduced to running dungeons or repeating quests over and over for points or loot.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Recently came back after a 3 month break myself. It feels weird having to pin it down, but SWTOR has something that made me miss it enough to come back. Something that the other games I've tried going back to during my break just didn't have.
    Originally posted by Draron
    Recently came back after a 3 month break myself. It feels weird having to pin it down, but SWTOR has something that made me miss it enough to come back. Something that the other games I've tried going back to during my break just didn't have.

I'm more surprised you left then that you came back. You seemed to be rather enamoured with the game before your break.

It maybe nosy, but why did you take a break?

Fell free to tell me to mind my own business.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    OP is probably a Bioware dev trying to get people to play SWTOR.
  • pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by funcon

Oh the sad fate of posters like this.  SWTOR is healthy and a ton of fun right now.  I myself have been having a blast since coming back around f2p lauch.  The servers have been full on most night, everyone looking for groups and chatting away and its on every level of the game.  I recently got my bh up to 50 and the entire way every planet had multiple instance, people all over grouping up, just lots of fun and tons of excitement that some on these posters cant comprehend. 

Last night 5 of us from my guild decided to pug some sm ops (thats a raid for those who dont play and waste time bashing a video game they dont play).  So we started in fleet trying to get some people after one request we had our full group for our 1st sm run, it was EV.  Cleared that some had to leave, so we put out a request for a couple more agian only had to ask once, went in and ran EC.  This group decided to stick together and we then ran EC HM.  It was an awesome time probably one of the better nights I have had in MMO and I have been playing MMOS for over 6 yrs. 

Alot of the same posters said the game would die a month after f2p, well I can tell you they were dead wrong (not surprised).  With the next update around the corner and then the 1st expansion a few months away I would hope posters like this will start to give up on their failed attempts to bash a game they dont play. 

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by pioneer08

Oh the sad fate of posters like this.  SWTOR is healthy and a ton of fun right now.  I myself have been having a blast since coming back around f2p lauch.  The servers have been full on most night, everyone looking for groups and chatting away and its on every level of the game.  I recently got my bh up to 50 and the entire way every planet had multiple instance, people all over grouping up, just lots of fun and tons of excitement that some on these posters cant comprehend. 

Last night 5 of us from my guild decided to pug some sm ops (thats a raid for those who dont play and waste time bashing a video game they dont play).  So we started in fleet trying to get some people after one request we had our full group for our 1st sm run, it was EV.  Cleared that some had to leave, so we put out a request for a couple more agian only had to ask once, went in and ran EC.  This group decided to stick together and we then ran EC HM.  It was an awesome time probably one of the better nights I have had in MMO and I have been playing MMOS for over 6 yrs. 

Alot of the same posters said the game would die a month after f2p, well I can tell you they were dead wrong (not surprised).  With the next update around the corner and then the 1st expansion a few months away I would hope posters like this will start to give up on their failed attempts to bash a game they dont play. 

I waited for SWTOR since 2008. I played the first few months then quit. Came back a few months later, then quit. Came back for f2p, then quit.  All you do is stay on the fleet all day queing for wz's. It isnt that fun. And to many loading screens for my taste. MMOs are supposed to be seamless huge worlds.

• pioneer08pioneer08 Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by pioneer08

I waited for SWTOR since 2008. I played the first few months then quit. Came back a few months later, then quit. Came back for f2p, then quit.  All you do is stay on the fleet all day queing for wz's. It isnt that fun. And to many loading screens for my taste. MMOs are supposed to be seamless huge worlds.

HMM all you do is que in the fleet...well you are missing out.  I take it you have not gone hunting for datacrons, or World Bosses?  Hmm never ran to the Black Hole, Section X, Illum, and Balsavis for dailies?  Hmm never worked on getting all your companions all the way up?  Not to mention PVP that my guild run everyday almost all day.   So yes there is a lot more to do than just que on the fleet.  I dont understand some people they expect these games at launch to have everything games that have been out for 10 years to have.  There is plenty to do in SWTOR right now and there is more coming our way.  The future is bright for SWTOR most see that, unfortunetly there is a select few on websites like this that have wasted over a year of their life trying to tell themself the opposite.

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73

Great you're having fun. Too bad was the game was a massive failure and a huge finacial lost for bioware.

[mod edit]

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    Welcome back!  A lot of past players are coming back and really enjoying the game a second time around.

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Welcome back, also to those that posted who also came back. I've been subbed since headstart. Never stopped my sub, even thought I took like a 2 month break, because I really wanted this game to succeed. Since F2P started, yes there are so many people on every planet. We have over 40 new people in my guild. At least 20 of them never played because all the bad posts people put. They all said they wish they would've started earlier not listened to the haters.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    wish I could enjoy this game... tried coming back 3 times.. tried playing like it was just a single player game.. tried everything.. i just can't find a way to force myself to enjoy it... why try and force myself? it's STAR WARS obviously.. i'm as big of a star wars fanboy as they come which makes not being able to find any enjoyment from it even more depressing...:(

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Draron

I'm more surprised you left then that you came back. You seemed to be rather enamoured with the game before your break.

It maybe nosy, but why did you take a break?

Fell free to tell me to mind my own business.

A friend (the same I played to 50 with in SWTOR originally and tons other MMOs) got me to start up FFXI at the announcement of the new expansion coming out. Stayed there for two months and we both quit after that. I took a break from MMO's period the last month and got the itch again during the month hiatus. My long time co-op partner said he doesn't have time for MMO's at all anymore, but I found my guild there waiting and seems like things are picking back up from where I left them without a hitch.

Thanks for satisfying my  curiosity. Hope ya have fun.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Elevenb4
    Since F2P started, yes there are so many people on every planet. We have over 40 new people in my guild. At least 20 of them never played because all the bad posts people put. They all said they wish they would've started earlier not listened to the haters.

The game is good for a few months, and even at the start it was all postive with review scores at 8-9.5 / 10, but then after people played it for a few months that is when all the negativity started, as the game is a MMO and not a single player game.  If the game was a good MMO people would not have quit, which resulted in it going F2P

I bet a lot of people were really just waiting for F2P as opposed to "listening to the haters", and the constant drops in population (1.7 million to 1.3 million to [500k to 1 million] subs by EA) spoke louder than any negativity from "haters" and if so then those comments are being taken too seriously.

If the subs went up instead, I bet they would have played sooner.

If they started playing at F2P, then they will probably quit too in a few months, although If they are playing the game for free, then may play it longer, as costing nothing to play, and the restrictions slow down progression, but it still does not get the revenue that EA needs.

After playing Dragon Age again, it plays the same as SWTOR but without a monthly fee. Both DA and SWTOR are good, but DA wins as does not have a monthly fee, nor is restricited in any way, or better yet just play KOTOR.

If each class had their own side quests, then it would have been better, but once you have done two chars cobvering both factions, then a 3rd char is replaying 90% of the same content, and when you have to pay for it, it makes the sub fee too much, so hooray for F2P, where you can level up new toons in your own time, without feeling you are paying to play the same content.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Since F2P started, yes there are so many people on every planet. We have over 40 new people in my guild. At least 20 of them never played because all the bad posts people put. They all said they wish they would've started earlier not listened to the haters.

The game is good for a few months, and even at the start it was all postive with review scores at 8-9.5 / 10, but then after people played it for a few months that is when all the negativity started, as the game is a MMO and not a single player game.  If the game was a good MMO people would not have quit, which resulted in it going F2P

I bet a lot of people were really just waiting for F2P as opposed to "listening to the haters", and the constant drops in population (1.7 million to 1.3 million to [500k to 1 million] subs by EA) spoke louder than any negativity from "haters" and if so then those comments are being taken too seriously.

If they started playing at F2P, then they will probably quit too in a few months, although If they are playing the game for free, then may play it longer, as costing nothing to play, and the restrictions slow down progression, but it still does not get the revenue that EA needs.

After playing Dragon Age again, it plays the same as SWTOR but without a monthly fee. Both DA and SWTOR are good, but DA wins as does not have a monthly fee, nor is restricited in any way, or better yet just play KOTOR.

If each class had their own side quests, then it would have been better, but once you have done two chars cobvering both factions, then a 3rd char is replaying 90% of the same content, and when you have to pay for it, it makes the sub fee too much, so hooray for F2P, where you can level up new toons in your own time, without feeling you are paying to play the same content.

Even if you like Dragon Age better which is a legitimate opinion, its like comparing apples to oranges. The games are barely  alike. Does anyone have any clue what this guy is talking about? 

There Is Always Hope!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Even if you like Dragon Age better which is a legitimate opinion, its like comparing apples to oranges. The games are barely  alike. Does anyone have any clue what this guy is talking about? 

SWG and SWTOR is like comparing apples to oranges, but SWTOR and Dragon Age is like comparing Red Apples with Green Apples.

SWTOR is the same game as Dragon Age, but SWTOR is a star wars sci-fi setting, and Dragon Age is fantasy. They both have story and dialogue choices, and companions.

Mass Effect is the same, and even closer as it is sci-fi based and the ship travel system is very similar too

I only said that DA / Mass Effect is better than SWTOR as it has a monthly fee or restricted F2P. If you take away the monthly fee or do not care about it, then all games are similar. SWTOR is bigger but its content is mostly copied and pasted whereas everything in ME and DA is all unique

SWTOR is not like any other MMO at all, and the quests you do are set to your own class, whereas in other MMOs, you can do practically every quest in the game. In LOTRO as a hobbit I could do quests on the elves side, plus the worlds are more explorable. SWTOR plays like Biowares single player games, and not worthy of a monthly fee, especially after a few months.