Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an MMO that made you exceed average results on an IQ test to participate?

123457»

Comments

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    I think they should make the test focus on chatting up a woman in a bar and see how well most of you do. There are different types of intelligence that an  IQ test does not cover. It's ironic that a so called intelligent person thinks IQ tests represents intelligence or a favourable personality, do you people go outside at all?

...says the hard core member with 1400 posts.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Even if I was allowed to play there is no reason to believe the game would be any good.  If I started a high IQ only version of Furcadia would anyone play it?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I'm not a huge fan of segregation, but I've never been a fan of idiocy.

So I propose a seperate but equal rule.

The IQ test has roughly 4 or 5 tiers and like minded individuals are sorted accordingly.

a yo ho ho

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Maybe they should make people take a personality test because many mmorpg players lack one. "I have a high IQ but i can't socialize with people" said the mmo gamer.

ironically, this post doesnt make you look very social either

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

If the game in and of itself interested me, I would play it. If it didn't interest me I certainly wouldn't play it purely because of the entry restrictions.

Whilst I have no moral objections to such an idea (at all), it seems really rather pointless.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Only if it put a requirement of at least 140+ in IQ, in which case I wouldn't even be able to play the game XD. I would though support the existance of a such game and how the politics/social interactions developed. 
  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by Spiider

I see elitism is well and thriwing. And some people believe they are better than others and deserve more just by being "better".

Damn, where did I see this already.... ah I remember, Nazi Germany said "Hi".

Coun't me out. Elitists should drown in their egos.

I think MMO in general is losing the elitists and its really a bad thing.

Without Elitists there won't be the perfect setup, there won't be a reason for you to gang up on a person, there would be no drive to excell.

That is whats wrong with our current generation, with the mentality of No Child Left Behind, our society is just getting more and more mediocre. Because those that excell are no longer being praised or getting the praises and acknowledge that is needed. And everyone that is Average are now getting all the praises for their average achievements.

I say bring back the Elitists, so that the rest of the population have someone to hate and want to excell toward.

You have to remember that because of Nazi Germany, Military Technology increased, Countries was united against an common foe, and overall production and industrial growth increased. Sure if they had win, it would have sucked, but it did turn out pretty good. So elitists aren't all bad.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    High IQ != nice behavior. As a result such a mmo would be like any other. With your fair share of idiots, psychopath, griefer, ganker and so on..
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

High IQ does not prevent someone from being a jackass.  My IQ is above normal at 138 and I can be a real jerk.  For what kind of environment are you hoping in asking for higher IQs?

Admission: I didn't read the thread. I only had a few minutes to spare, so I just responded to the thread title.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Nope. Nothing is stupider than rule by intellectuals. To paraphrase a famous quote: I'd rather be governed by a hundred people randomly picked out of the Boston phone book than governed by the faculty at Harvard.
  • VolnusVolnus Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Instead of a game testing people to say you are smart enough to play why dont they just make a game for smarter people. Saves time and those who can'/won't figure it out will leave saves time and it is not discriminating towards anyone else.
  • IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by greenreen

It made me giggle a little to ponder. The question comes from a documentary I saw a few years ago that was based on storing the baby making fluid of men with higher IQs for women to choose from for conception purposes.

Going to make it simple. Just a poll so that comments can be at will to participate. It wouldn't mean that you are stupid if you vote no, at least I wouldn't think that of you. It could easily be changed to be - would you have to pass an MMO acronym test to enter but this version sounds more controversial and fun!

Disclaimer: I don't think IQ tests are indicative of all types of knowledge or guarantee a smarter person. A test I took once for IQ asked whose face was on a 50 cent piece. That is an age based bias for people that had that coin in regular circulation in their lifetime as an example (even though I knew the answer). Now to stop being serious, vote.

Have to laugh at the Disclaimer ; Worried you will get flamed for an opinion I guess.

I disagree with your disclaimer; Certain types of people soak up knowledge and information like you would not believe. And would know the answer just like you did.

I would prefer to game with a similar demografic, the biggest issue I have these days is the fact that because its so cheap to play these games you get the masses and pond life in the mix. At least in the good old days it was idiots who actually worked for a living !!

• SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79
    People keep mentioning how it wont change behavior, sadly this demonstrates how people don't even think its odd that you cant form a group out of random strangers and have everything go smoothly these days. This is the first thing that comes to my mind when this sort of topic comes up.

People were always jerks, sure theres more now, but it was always the majority. MMOs i played back in ths 90s however, we didn't have 'pugs' because 'pug' wasn't a concept yet, you always just grouped with random people and everything always went more or less smoothly.

The mmo player base has gotten many times over more stupid than they have less polite in the last 15 years.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Isane

Have to laugh at the Disclaimer ; Worried you will get flamed for an opinion I guess.

And considering the snarking that was taking place here yesterday, I'd say a pretty justified one.

Originally posted by Isane
    because its so cheap to play these games you get the masses and pond life in the mix. At least in the good old days it was idiots who actually worked for a living !!

The $12/hour access charges of early services certainly did nothing to discourage general asshattery.

But...aren't these games designed for "masses"?

Does it make any sense, after walking through a cow pasture, complaining that you got some cow pie on your shoes?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

One of the staples of community is teaching.  Having a group a people who excel at "doing on their own" might stagnate the community building proccess.

Having a dificult game is by far one my favorite attributes to entertainment. Most gamers tend towards this and away from TV for the simple fact we get to not only participate in the "story" but to think and be challenged by it.

It is a probability that over time these types of games wil develope though it is not currently the norm as we are finaly leaving the "broadcast age". Once fully disappated, that age has a few direction is can head into but my opinion is with clever gaming as a base for entertainment we might just see a new enlightenment age appear in place of the glass eye fear one trying to assert itself.

As far as being tested...

I agree with alot of players here that gamers tend to find a boundary and work it like its a problem instead of a system to work within.  If we were to accumalate an average IQ or wtvr of a higher standard in one persistant world the devs/mods/GMs ect MUST be of an even higher quality to make it work or every system variable would be mute.

But again would I play ...

Probly not but Id styill troll the forums!