Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Minecraft makes fools of MMO companies

12346»

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Tolland, CTPosts: 1,613Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    LOL-minecraft is like doodling, you draw pretty pictures you ohh and ahhh but in the end you do not take it seriously

Have you ever heard of this thing called art?  You know, where they draw pretty pictures sometimes and hundreds of years later are still talked about?

Also, it is very funny to me that you think it's laughable as a game, but that millions, nearly 20 million people, consider it worth buying.  Compare that to some of the latest big MMO releases and...

Now we are talking about minecraft and great artists like Van gogh and Matise LOL.  Minecraft is an enjoyable game for the younger set and like many have said it has educational value but as an mmo?

• Oh jeez this thread is still alive, nice.
  • Sora2810Sora2810 New Columbia, PAPosts: 567Member

Minecraft has the ability to fit any play-type a player wants. Building sim? Vanilla works fine along with world edit. ARPG? Hack/Mine is available. FPS arena-based combat? SDK gun mod has a multiplayer component you can use. Hunger games themed multiplayer elimation game? There's several servers you can find that host them daily. Zelda themed single-player experience? AdventureCraft has that; players even made remakes of zelda games. There are several MMO servers that use MMOcraft plugins, while they are not very robust; they improve quite often. I've seen servers climb in how many players they can hold at once.

Minecraft itself may not make fools of the MMO companies--but minecraft's dedicated community, loyal fanbase and army of modders do.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• JohnRJohnR Minneapolis, MNPosts: 12Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

So much time, money, and energy goes into filling the MMORPG game world with content, but the reality is (and Minecraft proves this) no matter how good the team, if you let the players build it the results will surpass your greatest expectations. I believe the old saying is do not teach a person to use a tool, give them the tool and be surprised by their innovation in using it. So MMORPG companies, when will you give us the empty world and the tools and turn us loose to make the greatest MMORPG of all time?

Pretty cool observation about human creativity and ingenuity!  Nice little article.  Personally, I like content but also want enough "room" or space to add my own creativity to that of the MMO designers'.  Thanks!

• DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Boston, MAPosts: 158Member
    It's simple, first of all, if you want to create an MMO, become a game developer, it's not as easy as you think. Second of all, Minecraft doesnt make fools of MMO's or their creators, because Minecraft and MMO's are completely different. I can't really compare what you said to another comment, because those two things are about as different as you can get. I enjoy minecraft,a nd mmo's but theyre two totally different things.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi
    It's simple, first of all, if you want to create an MMO, become a game developer, it's not as easy as you think. Second of all, Minecraft doesnt make fools of MMO's or their creators, because Minecraft and MMO's are completely different. I can't really compare what you said to another comment, because those two things are about as different as you can get. I enjoy minecraft,a nd mmo's but theyre two totally different things.

Exactly.  While they both offer multiplayer with thousands of people, the key difference is Minecraft has quality and allows imagination and creativity.  Not every MMO offers anything close to that :)

El Psy Congroo

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Sora2810

Minecraft has the ability to fit any play-type a player wants. Building sim? Vanilla works fine along with world edit. ARPG? Hack/Mine is available. FPS arena-based combat? SDK gun mod has a multiplayer component you can use. Hunger games themed multiplayer elimation game? There's several servers you can find that host them daily. Zelda themed single-player experience? AdventureCraft has that; players even made remakes of zelda games. There are several MMO servers that use MMOcraft plugins, while they are not very robust; they improve quite often. I've seen servers climb in how many players they can hold at once.

Minecraft itself may not make fools of the MMO companies--but minecraft's dedicated community, loyal fanbase and army of modders do.

If i want to play a ARPG, why wouldn't play a real one like D3 or TL2 ..where the combat mechanics is actually fun, and my toon actually looks like a fantasy character than a collection of little cubes?

Heck, most MMORPGs are better ARPG than minecraft. The only reason, if i want to play minecraft, is to build something. It is a poor imitation of other game types, even if it can minmic.

• AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member

I cant believe how long this BS went on about LoL making fools out of MMO's as opposed to minecraft.  LoL is nothing like a MMO, where as minecraft is everything that MMOs should have been.  LoL is played in short sessions that have a start and end and have a very limited amount of max players.  Most of all though there is no persistant world.  Minecraft on the other hand is almost a MMO in itself (it would be if the servers could handle more users and the world size was made large enough); a mini-MMORPG at the least.  So you can compare minecraft to MMO's but you cannot compare LoL to MMOs.

Also on a side note, the concept for LoL has been around for almost a decade.  Minecraft, in comparison, is a fairly novel game but also a game based on simple sandbox concepts that MMOs should have eased into years ago.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• LauraFrostLauraFrost New York, NYPosts: 95Member

When I first heard of MineCraft I wasn't impressed, I tried it and hated it.

Boring boring game.

BUT THEN...

When I discovered there's a "survival" part in it... I was hooked!

I think the survival thing attracts me more than "building" stuff. Creating is alright but if the game is all about that, it's boring.

I would like to see more survival game (that are not based on zombies) as multiplayer-games (or MMO... but don't see how that's going to work).

• laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member

Ya but why do you have to play mmorpg when you can just play minecraft.

Even if they put minecraft element in to an mmorpg, isn't it better to just play minecraft.  I mean, minecraft let you build a wrold.  The typical mmorpg right now at best let you "add things" to the world.  Not only that, people can be more creative since they are in seperat world which don't "conflict" with each other.

• DibdabsDibdabs FelvershamPosts: 2,604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    I like Minecraft's concept but not their graphics or cost.  I do consider them one of the major games of mmo history.

I don't like the crude 16x16 graphics, which look terribad on a large monitor, but some of the 32x32 and 64x64 texture packs look fantastic.  A few of the 128x128 look good as well, but I prefer the 32's and 64's personally.

• worldalphaworldalpha Milton, ONPosts: 403Member
    All I know is my 8 yo loves it and I just can't get into it.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied -, WAPosts: 2,080Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by EccentricPenguin
    minecraft also looks like an un-fun version of some backshelf b-title from the 20's.

Only if you hate using your imagination to build things. Then yeah, it's not very fun.

• AutemOxAutemOx Fullerton, CAPosts: 1,704Member
    Originally posted by denshing
    minecraft also looks like an un-fun version of some backshelf b-title from the 20's.

Only if you hate using your imagination to build things. Then yeah, it's not very fun.

I think EccentricPenguin was trolling...  Even if minecraft is not your cup of tea it is difficult to deny it as a quality and innoventive game.  It is rare to have a game be so unique and indie yet so popular. 

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Originally posted by denshing

Yeh. I hate using my imagination to build things. It is not fun. I don't play games to build things.

• SuperNickSuperNick CambridgePosts: 460Member

It's been tried loosely in the past with a few MMOs - those sandbox-create-your-own-world MMOs really don't work.

Frankly I don't see the comparison.. Comparing MC to an MMO is kind of like comparing Starcraft to Civilization.

On a more personal view: I found MC unbelievably boring. I do enough mundane crap in real life already.

Originally posted by SuperNick

Frankly I don't see the comparison.. Comparing MC to an MMO is kind of like comparing Starcraft to Civilization.

Yeh. Even something like LOL is closer to MMO since many MMOs have similar instanced pvp.

12346»