Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an MMO that made you exceed average results on an IQ test to participate?

Comments

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Long, long ago they stopped giving IQ tests for a very good reason. Look into it.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Here's some food for thought:

Minecraft can be a very simple, basic, fun game.

The more imagination, time, and thought applied, the more amazing outcomes.

People are rewarded when they see what they have built with a sense of accomplishment, regardless of IQ or what others think.

Some of the most amazing things get thousands if not millions of views on youtube.

It's a game that doesn't alienate people based on IQ, has rewarding gameplay to millions, is not pay to win, and players achieve something of status when their constructions are shown to the world.  Not to mention it being adopted by a few countries into their education programs.

So perhaps the best games aren't the ones that cast out the less intelligent, but the ones that reward people for what they do on any level, and allow players recognition from their peers for their imagination, creativity, planning and thought.

I give you credit for your idea for a game, it would be a refreshing change in gameplay as compared to the usual competitive nature of MMOs. You have a good point there, assuming Minecraft is a MMO, which is what this thread was asking...." would we play a MMO.."

I personally don't consider Minecraft a MMO, at least not a conventional one. Maybe it is (I don't have a good opinion of Minecraft btw).

Also... why would you want the whole world seeing what you do in a MMO? I play MMOs but I don't want  the whole world to see what I do, other MMO Players sure, but not the whole world, they wouldn't understand...it's none of their business to be honest. I would never put gameplay footage on Youtube.

I don't understand you young people.... a strange Generation you are.

I wasn't suggesting Minecraft was an MMO, but rather it had some very interesting gameplay that scaled with the user you could say.  Rather than scaling with level or zone.

The part about seeing what you do in an MMO is of course an ability of any mmo when combined with screen capture software.  Minecraft allows people to use such software to share their creativity.  Not saying it'd be a great thing to implement so people can see you kill the same Boss millions of times over again in your GW2 youtube channel hehe

• VolnusVolnus Member UncommonPosts: 40

I like your idea, but I take it in a different meaning. By the way, the 50 cent coin John f Kennedy is on it I believe. Now back to the idea.

Your idea of a IQ test is wrong because while I have not taken this test some people say "are you a genius" to be honest I don't need to be a genius nor do I care if I was instead of making a game for people of superior intelligence-genius (120-145) the industry should make the games more challenging and put a learning curve in there. While people of higher IQ's would be able to figure it out faster they will still have a fun time with it like a puzzle.

The gaming industry has dumbed everything down which gives us nothing to learn or figure out. Take the game EQ as an example starting out you needed to figure how to travel to the different parts and learn their skill system. This was their learning curve which has kept a lot of people interested in the game. 

I will take myself as an example I hate easy tasks for instance school work that is easy = busy work to me which makes it a chore. I do it, but I procrastinate which generally leaves less time to sleep. So if games put a learning curve in and did not make it a WOW copy they would keep more people.

But this is the age of idiots were if a game requires any sort of learning people will leave.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VolnusVolnus Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by Rider071
    Long, long ago they stopped giving IQ tests for a very good reason. Look into it.

Are you sure about that.

I took several IQ tests under 18 because I was in AT classes. They were for accelerated learning. I was reading college level under 15 years old so of course they were always tracking your progress and expecting you to keep a lead. I don't know if they have AT anymore but they did when I was in school.

Then I skipped all of high school and passed on a GED in lockup (for skipping school). See, being smart was ruining my teenage reputation. Yeah, yeah, hindsight, I'm grown now and know my kiddie faults. In lockup they gave me several tests, one for IQ and two for personality. You know, to see if I was a nasty type that would stay nasty. I remember one test kept talking about horses. How do you feel about horses. Would you ride a horse. Do horses frighten you. I kept thinking, where was this test made frickin' Oklahoma, there are no horses near me. Of course they could have been a thin veil of horses = people, but so it was, the horse test was completed.

Once I started college, again they offered an IQ test along with several times doing the MBTI tests. In one class we even had to do them as part of the curriculum. That was as late as '05.

Those things have been a part of my life throughout all my years. I've worked at 2 temp companies and both of them asked me to take many tests to prove that I could do what I said on my resume. Those test results then went along with my resume to companies that I was offered to be placed with.

Tests are common everywhere I've been from lockup to the outside world. I can't imagine a world without them. Is this uncommon to other people?

Wait what I was reading about 5 years ahead of my age in grade school and I was never in any accelerated courses or was given a IQ test. Most of the people in the "CATS" which was what we used in grade school wondered why I was not in it. This is what I get for an Arizona education... Which is now why in high school I have basically resorted to taking all AP math classes and science classes and next year is my junior. I go after school and have the physics teacher and AP Chem teacher teach me something and I take online classes. 

The reason that they have become less popular is because there were some studies that showed motivation played a large amount of the test scores so if there was an incentive to do well then they would score higher. They also stopped doing it because it could discourage some students because you will get people who think that they are all high and mighty because of their IQ. If someone tries to do that I say that I reply " Good for you now what have you done with it" That pretty much shuts them up. The point is people are only looking for something to brag about which is why atleast Arizona and Jan Brewers all mighty wisdom >.> Don't give them out anymore.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Rider071

Are you sure about that.

I took several IQ tests under 18 because I was in AT classes.

Under 18 on several IQ tests?  I'm so, so very sorry.  (teasing)

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I'd play a game that had some sort of maturity barrier to apply for it; the prospect of the test being an IQ one is easily exploited and not really indicative of someone being mature or logical.

There are a lot of people with high IQs that have no where near the wisdom or logic prowess as some who are average or even below it.  It usually has to do with egos and the like, as well as one thinking their thoughts should be law.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127

Being a lot brighter than most of you noobs, let me offer this through a tacit example:

1.  Human adopts cat.  Human feels smart.

2.  Human meets Flying Spaghetti Monster.  Human feels stupid.

Life's flavo(u)r often arrives from the interactions with those lesser than you.  Do not shun them.   I work (now) as an asset compiler  for a worldwide top 10 (100 billion +) bank. 

If you ever want to feel meh, hang out with some of the macro analysts that do derivative forecasting at one of these places.  You'll be glad you can melt face via stunted noobs whenever you hop online.  

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    I'm surprised at all the people who said, "yes."  I thought for sure they would vote "no" as I did.  It sounds like another way to troll people.  I don't think much of people who go to scientists to get preg, either.  The lab is allowed to keep the fertilized "specimens" that are not inserted in a women's uterus for experimentation.  All those scientists who hack away on unborn children would pass an IQ test with flying colors!  So intelligence, tho helpful in survival situations, is NOT the most important aspect of human behavior.  Try compassion.

• SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79
    This is kind of an interesting question because as others have pointed out it would do nothing to improve the quality of the mmo community on a social level, in fact it could hurt it. However it would improve the skill of the people you play with, which is probably a good thing - but modern day mmos don't really require competence to play, so does that really matter?

Id check it out, but if its not a good game i wouldn't stick around just to be part of some special club.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

No chance in hell I'm gonna play a MMO that required higher than average IQ to play. These MMOs (most likely) will be run down basically to more alogrithmics you have to crunch than the regular ones we have now. Having Aspergers syndrome myself, this would not pose an extra challenge to play. It most likely will take me a nit longer before I've figured out the way the alogrithmics are created.

On the other hand though, if a publisher would make a MMo with an AI that learns from the users and adepts to the users gameplay (no regular and repeating alogrithmics), I'd play that for sure. At least that's the kind of MMO that'll be challenging because the AI will respond more like you and me than the standard NPC you meet along the way...

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Absolutely. 

Unfortunately such a game wouldn't have very many players. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Well as we have been playing MMO's that require you to leave your brain at the door for years now, it would make a pleasant change.
  • LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Even if the game was perfect and the best one ever made, I would object for moral reasons. No one of any integrity, humility, or humanity would sit and allow such elitism.

To be blunt...

"If for even a second you believe this type of exclusion would result in the elimination of stupidity: you are that which you wish to exclude."

IMO, the exclusion of anyone that doesn't score high on culturally biased and intellectually biased forms of testing is true idiocy. Anyone with a brain (or an education on the subject) knows there are hundreds of types of intelligence besides memory and pattern recognition.

According to academia, I am a very intelligent person. That is why I consider groups like "MENSA" to be a complete joke. To state you are a group designed to include intellectuals yet have entry requirements that are very easily proven as culturally or intellectually biased, is the epitome of hypocrisy. (Well...that and the fact I don't know a single intelligent person who belongs to such a group.) I've met very few people who could hold their own in a conversation with me. Not because I know a lot. Not even because I am smart. Simply because few people can comprehend logic with even a little bit of depth.  Truly it actually is most likely because they are incredibly lazy thinkers and truly don't care about the conversations they actually attempt to have. Our society is increasingly apathetic even in normal conversation. Of course, if one person is good at communicating than they can understand most of what the other says even if they're too stupid to communicate effectively. Just believe me when I tell you the conversation will be one sided, almost as if you are arguing for both parties.

Communication alone requires a certain amount of intelligence (both fluid and crystallized). Although intelligence requires some humility, it also results in a lot of arrogance as well. (The smarter you are, the dumber everyone else gets.) Unfortunately I have met more arrogant "intelligent" people who I conclude are stupider than average simply for the fact they lack that small bit of humility that allows one to see flaws in one's own logic when presented with legitimate argument supported by reason. Moderately intelligent people do not always have high amounts of arrogance and are thus able to learn from others who argue successfully against their incorrect perspective.

IMO, being an intellectual requires one to have a certain open-mindedness and humility; else you are blinded to reality. This is not something easily measured through a standardized test. Those who cannot see things CLEARLY simply cannot be very intelligent. I am not talking about what you believe, but how you view others. How you perceive reality is important, and an education or experience in your outside social bubble can be very influential to your actual intelligence. For example, Charity and a kind heart shows much more intelligence than your ability to perform as a human calculator. The former will survive in our world, while the latter may be excluded as an outsider. One could readily argue, "Stupid people perish, Smart people survive." making charisma a higher form of measurable intellect than memorization, because a Charismatic person is more likely to successfully cooperate and thus achieve safety, food, water, etc. Take a hint though; I am not stating this to be fact.

One could argue...

One could argue... this is the entire point.

Arrogance, which births Elitism, simply cannot hear an argument. It is deaf to that which isn't flattery.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

IQ tests tell you only 1 thing and that is how many times a person has practiced a test. It's the same thing as those aptitude tests used by companies to screen out candidates. At this point I have done so many of them that I can solve them in less than 30% of the required time and those tests are supposed to put you under time pressure...

Anyways I don't see the point. It's not like MMORPGs require any thinking. Most MMOs do not require any skill or thinking. It's like they are designed for people who want to play games devoid of any thinking. So no. An IQ test at registration is probably the only point at which you will have to use your brain while playing MMOs.

What kind of IQ test did you take? IQ tests are supposed to test your intelligence not your knowledge. Why would you put a knowledge based question in an IQ test? You either know the person on the 50 cent coin or you don't. There is nothing you can do to figure it out if you don't know it. That simply tests your knowledge not your intelligence.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364
    Originally posted by fivoroth

IQ tests tell you only 1 thing and that is how many times a person has practiced a test. It's the same thing as those aptitude tests used by companies to screen out candidates. At this point I have done so many of them that I can solve them in less than 30% of the required time and those tests are supposed to put you under time pressure...

HOLY @#$#@ YOU MUST BE A GENIUS THEN.

TESTS NO LIE

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

You use an before words that sound like a vowel, "em" and "eye" match that.
    Well, my IQ just went up :) When I was in school, grammar was based on the written word, not the "sound" of the next letter. "A MMO" was how I was taught to write it. According to this (Grammar Monster), it now depends upon the sound of the letter. "An MMO" is the correct use of a/an. I may be getting closer to average IQ for the US :) lol

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I think it should be the game designers who take an IQ test before they get employed in the first place.
  • IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

I wouldn't say an IQ test would be the best barrier for entry since IQ tests are usually full of such arbitrary questions as to be useless in terms of commons sense and adaptability which are mainly what you'd be looking for in this case. You'd end up with a bunch of selfish and sociopathic people slipping through just because they could answer meaningless questions.

A common sense/empathy test would be better I think.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    i would not have fun playing alone :-)
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I'd never make the cut, as I'm not very bright.  A Navy Chief of mine once told me "Lamson, you're about as bright as a welldigger's asshole".  I'm not very bright.
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Anyways I don't see the point. It's not like MMORPGs require any thinking. Most MMOs do not require any skill or thinking. It's like they are designed for people who want to play games devoid of any thinking. So no. An IQ test at registration is probably the only point at which you will have to use your brain while playing MMOs.

What kind of IQ test did you take? IQ tests are supposed to test your intelligence not your knowledge. Why would you put a knowledge based question in an IQ test? You either know the person on the 50 cent coin or you don't. There is nothing you can do to figure it out if you don't know it. That simply tests your knowledge not your intelligence.

i know what you mean, but its not totally right. you CAN practice IQ tests and get better and faster but you never exceed your limits. so when you compare results, all testers should have had the same practice before.

still, not wanting to play alone :-)