Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

So Trion picked up AA. I have questions about the game.

SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon

Alright I got some questions about AA. Namely about some things that if the game has them I pretty much won't bother with it.

1) Does it have any open pvp? i'm sorry but the mmorpg community today is far FAR to immature to properly play a open world pvp game. So I am wondering if it has this, or if its locked off to optional Zones

 

2) As a tie in with the one above are people able to freely destroy your creations?

if the game does have these 2 things, think they will have a server that lacks open world free for all gankfest pvp and destruction of stuff people built?

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Minneapolis, MNPosts: 532Member

    1) Faction Based PvP on the southern 2 continents, without penalty. Same faction kills earn crime points and can lead to jail time or being outlawed. The Racial newbie areas are PvP restricted.

    On the North continent, it is open PvP, and has castle construction and sieging.

     

    2) Personal housing in the south, and the small space around a players 'Scarecrow' are immune to interference. Crops/Herds placed in open areas are fair game, but as above, same faction theft earns crime points.

    Personal housing in the North can be ransacked only if the associated castle falls to a siege.

  • SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

    1) Faction Based PvP on the southern 2 continents, without penalty. Same faction kills earn crime points and can lead to jail time or being outlawed. The Racial newbie areas are PvP restricted.

    On the North continent, it is open PvP, and has castle construction and sieging.

     

    2) Personal housing in the south, and the small space around a players 'Scarecrow' are immune to interference. Crops/Herds placed in open areas are fair game, but as above, same faction theft earns crime points.

    Personal housing in the North can be ransacked only if the associated castle falls to a siege.

    Hmm. This is a bit better though I do wish there was no same faction stuff, because there are always greifing prone assholes who just won't care about the reprecussions and will just make another char/acct. I just hope the "small space," is enough to make a house and maybe a small field.

    Then again i don't mind open pvp if I won't lose items or anything like you mentioned. Only thing lost will be the time taken to walk back if you choose to do so, I am ok with this. It sounds like rising force online, 3 way open faction pvp, with the same crime system if u pk your own side. All you lose for dying in rfo is contribution points, which unless your in like the top 10 players, won't really matter to you at all.

    I just hope they make the punishment for killing your own faction extremly severe so it serves as a good detterant, if its just a slap on the wrist its kinda meh. I also like the fact I can go raid the enemys farms and shit, Imma enjoy pillaging. I;m a thief at heart in games like these, Oblivion etc i was a klepto, if it wasn't nailed down and I could fence it, i'd steal it.

    Anyway thanks for the reply, I am not really looking forward to AA. I assume its going to have a bounty hunter system where you can put a price on peoples heads? would be cool if it had guilds like oblivion did, or even player run guilds/cities.

    Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

    A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

    or

    B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

    Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

  • ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon

    We don't know what adjustments will be made by Trion to any of these things, but from the sounds of it there will be at least some. Ganking and ransacking are not popular features to western audiences, and they also piss off the korean retail players a lot from what people have been saying over there, so Trion may not even have to make that change.

    I've heard that player housing, while amazing, the game currently lacks safe-zone spots for everyone to have a house..I don't know how accurate this is but I've seen a couple of people say this was the case and it was also annoying people, so I could see either XL, or Trion reducing where Open PvP can take place because that would be the easiest fix to this I think.

  • SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon

    Honestly if it was a mostly pve sandbox It'd not bother me in the slightest. Keep the pvp into maybe just the castle siege Zones if they need to. Yeah the gankers/greifers will whine, but no one wants those types of players in the game in the first place.

    Looking at the (lack of) success of titles like darkfall, and mortal online, kinda shows that there really is not a big enough of a market for those types of games, the pro-greifer/ganker type games. You could argue about eve, but I think eve would have went under if plex never came out.

    Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

    A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

    or

    B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

    Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

  • ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon

    You're right, and yeah there is a group of people that love that stuff but they are very small compared to everyone else who plays these games. It's one thing for a game to be legitimately challenging and engaging both in PVE And PVP, it's another for it to be obnoxious and promote the negativity that will push people away from the game. I don't see AA being a totally PVE sandbox at all, but if you minimize griefing and harassment then people are more focused on the competitive nature of PvP and not "how can I annoy the eff out of everyone else"

    It's important to note that if your house is built in a PvP region, and destroyed once your faction loses the castle, you will get your materials back in the mail and you just have to go find a new plot of land for your house..I don't think you lose everything.

  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Minneapolis, MNPosts: 532Member

    re: Looting a player kill. 

    Equipped gear and items in your normal inventory cannot be looted. However, finished resource bundles used to build houses and ships are dropped on death. Trade parcels, used to earn Delphi coins for buying blueprints, are dropped on death. As well as the Land claim tokens for regions on the North continent are dropped.

     

    re: Same faction crimes.

    Every time a player harvests a same faction players crops/herds/trees they leave footprints on the ground. Every same faction kill leaves a blood splatter as evidence. When this evidence is picked up the offending player earns some number of crime points. Once the crime points cross a thresh hold on that players next death or login they are summoned to the Jail and must stand trial. Trials are held with a jury of 5 players who are to judge the offending players guilt or innocence, and if guilty of each charge, they set the severity of the penalty. In OBT one player was judged and sentenced to 1600+ minutes of in game time Jail. Even if they escape, they are still prevented from using active skills for the duration of the sentence.

    A permanent record is kept of Crime Points earned, even after all jail time is served. Once the player crosses 30,000 (in CBT4, ymmv) they were Outlawed and became KOS to all souther continent NPC's. The only trainers, merchants, bankers, etc. they can deal with are the ones of the Pirate faction on the Pirate island.

     

    re: Housing limitations.

    Players can form 'Families', and can then share Housing. 7 players per house the last time I heard.  Personal housing in safe areas, they intentionally limited it so that only a fraction of players would fill all the areas.

  • KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member

    The jail system is a nice feature for ArcheAge.  While it allows realistic free kills of anyone, even your own faction, there are consequences for those actions.  Some slaps on the wrist at first, but then eventually a friendly eviction notice via being kill on sight in your homeland.

    Corpse campers, or simply those who go around and grief their faction will eventually find themselves unwelcome, and end up being forced to the pirate area, or the guild contested continent.

     

    Sounds like a good system, and a way to prevent the many problems found in other free-kill and/or sandbox style games.

     

    It would be nice though if crime points dissipate over time (maybe they do, I don't know).  Because there is always those times where you might want to kill or steal from a botter, or from someone who is rude ... 

     

    Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

  • OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Karteli

    The jail system is a nice feature for ArcheAge.  While it allows realistic free kills of anyone, even your own faction, there are consequences for those actions.  Some slaps on the wrist at first, but then eventually a friendly eviction notice via being kill on sight in your homeland.

    Corpse campers, or simply those who go around and grief their faction will eventually find themselves unwelcome, and end up being forced to the pirate area, or the guild contested continent.

     

    Sounds like a good system, and a way to prevent the many problems found in other free-kill and/or sandbox style games.

     

    It would be nice though if crime points dissipate over time (maybe they do, I don't know).  Because there is always those times where you might want to kill or steal from a botter, or from someone who is rude ... 

     

    I agree, open pvp with a twist. Sounds like it will be fun. Should help prevent griefing, for those that fear it. I like open pvp with meaning to it, and i think AA will fit the bill.

    PvP isnt bad, you just have some bad people here and there. Find friends, group, learn your skills well, and be observant. But being a thief may be fun, sounds like the class "thief" will actualy feel like a thief in this game lol.

     

    Game has much potential and look forward to it.

     

    People that dislike pvp, dont fear it. Lot of misconceptions and people making things up make it sound worse than it is. Will you die.... yes. Will every death be by  some a$$hat looking to disturb your game time.... no.

  • jaiceafjaiceaf RamsteinPosts: 46Member
    Originally posted by Siveria

    Honestly if it was a mostly pve sandbox It'd not bother me in the slightest. Keep the pvp into maybe just the castle siege Zones if they need to. Yeah the gankers/greifers will whine, but no one wants those types of players in the game in the first place.

    Looking at the (lack of) success of titles like darkfall, and mortal online, kinda shows that there really is not a big enough of a market for those types of games, the pro-greifer/ganker type games. You could argue about eve, but I think eve would have went under if plex never came out.

    Darkfall is going on 4 years now? Mortal Online has been out in Beta since I Was in the airforce over 4 years ago. Neither are failing because not enough people enjoy the sandbox/ open PvP and both were P2P, both are failing because of terrible launches with studios who cannot produce bug-free and stable content.Played both for a long time, both are great games. Just bug ridden. Sandboxes are not popular at the moment because no big studio is willing to spend the money on it as its not a proven model for success. Sandbox's are niche because games like this need people working on it, small studios cannot accomplish this in the time frame that 20K+ subscribers will find acceptable. 

     

    Tl:DR ITs not an OPVP and Sandbox vs Themeparks. A studio has yet to have a BLOCKBUSTER SANDBOX release. When more start coming out and geting funded, you wil see less Themeparks and more sandboxes. This too shall pass.

  • Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD BrisbanePosts: 114Member

    I hope the PvP system is similar to Age of Wushu, the PvP system in AoW is extremely well done PK is not common I think it's happened to me 2 times over the last month, that's unexpected PvP (such as jumping me when afk or talking with an NPC) I'm talking about, the penalties are harsh but not to harsh to discourage living on the dark side. The bounty and jail system seem to work really well, the bounty system can even be a good way of making money if you like PvP.

    From what I have read about AA it seems similar atleast, here's hoping to more freedom and less restiction and with some luck guilds could set their own PvP rules in the cities they own.

  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Minneapolis, MNPosts: 532Member
    Originally posted by Karteli

    It would be nice though if crime points dissipate over time (maybe they do, I don't know).  Because there is always those times where you might want to kill or steal from a botter, or from someone who is rude ... 

    There is a quest on the Pirate island to reduce your Crime Points, or was at least in CBT4. How many at a time, can it get you back to zero, or just non-KOS, I haven't a clue.

  • SukiyakiSukiyaki GreenwichPosts: 1,398Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

    1) Faction Based PvP on the southern 2 continents, without penalty. Same faction kills earn crime points and can lead to jail time or being outlawed. The Racial newbie areas are PvP restricted.

    On the North continent, it is open PvP, and has castle construction and sieging.

     

    2) Personal housing in the south, and the small space around a players 'Scarecrow' are immune to interference. Crops/Herds placed in open areas are fair game, but as above, same faction theft earns crime points.

    Personal housing in the North can be ransacked only if the associated castle falls to a siege.

    Hmm. This is a bit better though I do wish there was no same faction stuff, because there are always greifing prone assholes who just won't care about the reprecussions and will just make another char/acct. I just hope the "small space," is enough to make a house and maybe a small field.

    Then again i don't mind open pvp if I won't lose items or anything like you mentioned. Only thing lost will be the time taken to walk back if you choose to do so, I am ok with this. It sounds like rising force online, 3 way open faction pvp, with the same crime system if u pk your own side. All you lose for dying in rfo is contribution points, which unless your in like the top 10 players, won't really matter to you at all.

    The number of buildings and scarecrows does not seem to be limited. But each of them will cost a weekly fee to run and it will grow exponentialy the more buildings you have on your account. If you cant pay them they will be gone. So inactive player wont occupy space for long and no can just spam buildings into the world. On the other hand if you can afford it, you could build huge fields. You can even share the buildings with others.

  • ApraxisApraxis RegensburgPosts: 1,515Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Siveria

    I just hope they make the punishment for killing your own faction extremly severe so it serves as a good detterant, if its just a slap on the wrist its kinda meh. I also like the fact I can go raid the enemys farms and shit, Imma enjoy pillaging. I;m a thief at heart in games like these, Oblivion etc i was a klepto, if it wasn't nailed down and I could fence it, i'd steal it.

    Anyway thanks for the reply, I am not really looking forward to AA. I assume its going to have a bounty hunter system where you can put a price on peoples heads? would be cool if it had guilds like oblivion did, or even player run guilds/cities.

    It is rather harsh punishment. If you collect to much crime points you will be kicked out of your faction, and only can join the pirate faction. If you just play at the two faction continents your live can be rather safe. But the third north contintent is very open, with player created factions(expedition force, some kind of a alliance)

    About stealing.. you can plundering other ppls farms(lumber their trees and the like), and there  are some kind of special trading good which can be stolen, but no "usual" inventory stuff.. and again, it is criminal if you do it in your own faction.

Sign In or Register to comment.