Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Dynamic Events ARE revolutionary, I can't wait till they are evolutionary!

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Drolkin

The events the OP described happen in Warhammer online with PQs.

Special random revolutionary event=

Collect crap

Kill crap

Recycle

?

Not revolutionary.

Nice of you to point out how a MMO works, +1 INT for you.

Actually I liked PQ's ...Rifts ....DE's and any open world boss in any game ,the only thing I know I hate are quest hubs and forced grinding to level

Yes I did like the PQ aswell for what they were, sadly after a while no one cared.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Here is a video and a link to the Guild Wars 2 page where they describe what they are attempting to do with Dynamic Events. This is what they did in game. I am sorry that there are those out there that had misconcieved ideas about it being different, but what they state on that site is what is in game for players to experience and by definition is "dynamic". As the original poster stated GW2 and Anet changed the experience of questing with these dynamic events. If you do not like that experience move on to a different game, but it does not change the facts of the topic at hand that they are dynamic and different.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/

https://guildwars2.com/media/videos#vlb/4oit0gBEWHo

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I'm sorry all the GW2 fans have a misconception of what the word Dynamic means. But GW2's Events are anything but. They are static and repeating events with triggers. There is nothng Dynamic about that. 

Just for those that don't know:

dy·nam·ic

Always active or changing

~~~

Like I said GW2's events are static so they are anything but Dynamic. I'm sure someone has already started charting them, they just haven't got through them all yet. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Vunak23

I'm sorry all the GW2 fans have a misconception of what the word Dynamic means. But GW2's Events are anything but. They are static and repeating events with triggers. There is nothng Dynamic about that. 

dy·nam·ic

~~~

Like I said GW2's events are static so they are anything but Dynamic. I'm sure someone has already started charting them, they just haven't got through them all yet. 

You imply that the only thing that defines an event, is the initialization or the starting point.  Don't you think there is a little bit more to it than that?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Vunak23

dy·nam·ic

~~~

You see, if you had read whole thread you wouldnt have embarass yourself so much

Originally posted by mikahr
    Simple display of "DYNAMIC" for those who have problem with words:

http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/mechanics/chapter4_simpleharmonicmotion.html

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97

Collect crap

Kill crap

Recycle

?

Not revolutionary.

Actually I liked PQ's ...Rifts ....DE's and any open world boss in any game ,the only thing I know I hate are quest hubs and forced grinding to level

Can I ask a bloody huge favour of you, can you let your horrifically enfrenched (remember they surrendered) post go for a few minutes, if you do not own Gnet shares than frankly you are a borderline retarted.  I would prefer to put my money on the latter than Anest atm.  

Yes I did like the PQ aswell for what they were, sadly after a while no one cared.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97

Collect crap

Kill crap

Recycle

?

Not revolutionary.

Oh god here he is again the fan boy, with the use of words like 'PQ', DE's', 'only' and 'are' this guy is c;learly soft in the head. 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I keep hearing people talking about Dynamic Events and how they are just like Rift's rifts, or Warhammer's PQ's, but I don't see the similarity at all.   The DE's in GW2 are extremely revolutionary.   Rifts just seem to be random occurances of mobs all over the map, and that doesn't sound revolutionary at all, nothing like GW2 Dynamic Events.

Khm, in this sense Rifts ARE revolutionary, and DE are NOT. Or at least have more originality. Rifts are same thing that happen on random locations, DE are same thing that happen on same location. Like public quests from war and other games. 

I love gw2 (second only to duo swtor/wow for me), partecipating to majority of DE, ... but please, do not  create false myths. Higher you fly with such baloon, harder you hit floor.

Originally posted by ScaryMonk

Collect crap

Kill crap

Recycle

?

Not revolutionary.

Oh god here he is again the fan boy, with the use of words like 'PQ', DE's', 'only' and 'are' this guy is c;learly soft in the head. 

Why do you care so much that people like GW2 that you start to insult people?

Have Anet done something awful to you?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I woudl like to ask the same why do you care if people don't think GW2 is revolutionary that you have to go on and on and try to make a believer out of them? it goes both ways you see.

What is find ironic is that you defend GW2 with such a a passion and then make topic where you insult casual players who want everything served on silver platter. Even though GW2 is the most casual MMO on market and designed keeping people with family and jobs in mind. 

its like you have a split personality or something.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I woudl like to ask the same why do you care if people don't think GW2 is revolutionary that you have to go on and on and try to make a believer out of them? it goes both ways you see.

What is find ironic is that you defend GW2 with such a a passion and then make topic where you insult casual players who want everything served on silver platter. Even though GW2 is the most casual MMO on market and designed keeping people with family and jobs in mind. 

First of all he insults people who don't share his opinions secondly I play both GW2 and Vanguard.

And why do I play GW2?, It's easy It's the first game in many years that is not a WoW clone, plenty of things in GW2 feels new and fresh and it has no sub and I like exploring, like the combo features in a fight.

If GW2 was made like a WoW clone with quest hubs, trinity, lifeless world I wouldnt even play it if it was handed to me for free.

Yes GW2 is casual to some extent, dungeons are not casual or easy, I find the dungeons to have a good portion of challenge, and the best thing is for me the god awful trinity is almost gone no more 4/6 need tank and healer in chat.

Ohh I forgot, why do you keep stalking me?

First of all he insults people who don't chair his opinions secondly I play both GW2 and Vanguard.

And why do I play GW2?, It's easy It's the first game in many years that is not a WoW clone, plenty of things in GW2 feels new and fresh and it has no sub.

Yes GW2 is casual to some extent, dungeons are not casual or easy, I find the dungeons to have a good portion of challenge, and the best thing is for me the god awful trinity is almost gone no more 4/6 need tank and healer in chat.

Don't flatter yourself. it is hard to post in a GW2 forum without runnign into you, you are all over the place playing white knight .

And no GW2 is not casual to some extent because it is casual in principle and Anet thesmelves said it many many times that casuals are the focus of their game. That is what the whole 'anti grind' and 'end game starts from level 1' comments were all about. 

So as long as you play and support games like GW2 try not to insult the casuals which are the core player base and focus of GW2.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

First of all he insults people who don't chair his opinions secondly I play both GW2 and Vanguard.

And why do I play GW2?, It's easy It's the first game in many years that is not a WoW clone, plenty of things in GW2 feels new and fresh and it has no sub.

Don't flatter yourself.

You bring up things I have written months ago and you still remember what I wrote so yeah, stop stalking me.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Problem with dynamic events is that they're so rare.

I'm level 30 now and I really didn't notice many events.

When I played at launch they were all over the place. Is the rate at which they appear affected by the number of players or something?

You bring up things I have written months ago and you still remember what I wrote so yeah, stop stalking me.

That is not what you call stalking that is what you call having a very good memory. And i remember things a lot So when i see your posts treading on same line of argument it is hard to ignore what you have said earlier about casualas and players with jobs and families. After all GW2 is a very casual game, and even though one month old post still very relevant to the topic of discussion.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

That is not what you call stalking that is what you call having a very good memory. And i remember things a lot So when i see your posts treading on same line of argument it is hard to ignore what you have said earlier about casualas and players with jobs and families. After all GW2 is a very casual game, and even though one month old post still very relevant to the topic of discussion.

If you say so image

• coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Member Posts: 33
    I honestly didn't like the DEs much at all.... They were incredibly repetitive.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I find it fascinating that this phrase is still banded about.  Its roots come from raiders who believe they are superior players, discounting the fact that players who play casually can be more skilled (I dont see you on WOL they say!) and want content that is hard but can be played over a time frame of their own choosing.  The casual = easy and simple is a blizzard perversion.

GW 2 is an evolution of GW1, nothing more nothing less, and it is casual friendly.  Its evolution will be more than just the latest and greatest dungeon.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by coltonjefferson
    I honestly didn't like the DEs much at all.... They were incredibly repetitive.

The point of De's is that it offers an alternative to the ? over the head model which is even worse.  Storytelling in the DE's could be richer and more progressive imo though.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by cronius77
    lol at above post isnt it the truth here on this site seriously. I honestly would love to see a article from Anet posting about how they were adding in the dynamic events WAY before rift released because Ive never read anything on it and followed the game for awhile myself.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/dynamic-events-dev-journal-colin-johanson

If you don't want to read all that, here it is:

Are events an entirely brand-new system people have never seen before? No, they are notThey are our attempt to innovate on traditional concepts and elevate them to something different than what people have experienced before, while keeping alive enough of the old so that people feel comfortable with the system.

It’s worth noting that development on our event system started long before we ever knew about games like Warhammer Online or Rift, which share some commonalities with the events in Guild Wars 2. We learned lessons from their choices, but they never drove our core decision to use dynamic events. Focusing on what really makes dynamic events unique is really important in either enjoying them or in being disappointed based on the expectations someone may have for them. For us, the things that we expect from the dynamic event system, and what we think makes it unique, are the following:

Unlike any game ever made before Guild Wars 2, these events are our core content model for the game world. In other games you might find hundreds or thousands of quests, and some events scattered around as well; we literally have thousands of events with additional content scattered around to help support those events. The events are the core world content in Guild Wars 2 and make up the bulk of the content in the game between the open world and dungeons, with stuff like more traditional-style renown regions and exploration challenges there to provide a supporting hand to the events. We believe this creates a fundamental paradigm shift in the way you play and experience the game.

It's also worth noting that there was a thread for arguments like this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/361194/page/1

Hey, bud.  I've got a couple of bridges for sale.  Hit me up on PM.

I think A-Net also invented spells, swords and axes in a game.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I keep hearing people talking about Dynamic Events and how they are just like Rift's rifts, or Warhammer's PQ's, but I don't see the similarity at all.   The DE's in GW2 are extremely revolutionary.   Rifts just seem to be random occurances of mobs all over the map, and that doesn't sound revolutionary at all, nothing like GW2 Dynamic Events.

Now I know that there are all sorts of people going to tell me how wrong I am. I've seen how people react to words, and especially words that might show GW2 in a positive light.  And I'm sure that none of them actually care if  nobody says anything, but they sure care if someone says that they like the game. It's just a negative world for many people, and they  feel compelled to "keep the optimism in check"

The DE's in GW2 are very revolutionary. Take for example, one of the norn Dynamic Events in the starting area.  It starts off with a norn woman wanting to collect wyrm eggs for food. Now she asks everyone in the area to help by retrieving as many wyrm eggs as possible, and she will use the eggs to make some food for everyone. Needless to say, she needs a lot of eggs, and the more people that take part, means she will need even more eggs. Once she has enough, she will say so and then give people a chance to bring the last of the eggs they've collected to her.  Yeah, thats right, she doesn't just stop and leave, she gives everyone a chance to participate even though she's reached her quota.

Then she goes back to the lodge to prepare a wondrous meal for everyone, but the scent of the eggs attracts wyrms to the lodge! Yes, this is a lodge with NPC vendors and everything, and everybody has to help fend off the wyrm attack! The attack almost seems endless as wave after wave of wyrms attack the lodge. The bodies of wyrms, and norn litter the ground in front of the lodge.  And once the assault is finally over, the eggs are ruined and the woman has to admit that it might not have been such a good idea to collect all those eggs. Another norn comments that the fight was magnificent (LOL! That is sooo norn) and before long the woman decides to go collect more eggs, and the event has gone through it's full revolution. Full circle, so to speak.

That is why I say that GW2 Dynamic Events are revolutionary, but what I'm really looking forward to is when they become evolutionary. When an event chain matures to not always come back to the exact same point. Maybe it will still have the potential to return to it's original point, but I would like to see multiple return points to start off from, as well as multiple outcomes. 

I can't wait to see where the genre moves to next.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Of coure they thought of them way before Rift and Warhammer. What a joke, riding the coat tails. I personally think Rifts , rifts/Zone events are a million times better then GW2 Orange circle watching.
  • xArsonistxxArsonistx Member Posts: 31

These dynamic events are the same as go here kill that quest only difference is how they packaged it. I fear for the human race when people blndly let companies repackage old stuff and they call it groundbreaking.

Tell you what I have invented dynamic toilet paper it will wipe your ass a different way each time no two times alike lol.

Originally posted by xArsonistx

These dynamic events are the same as go here kill that quest only difference is how they packaged it. I fear for the human race when people blndly let companies repackage old stuff and they call it groundbreaking.

Tell you what I have invented dynamic toilet paper it will wipe your ass a different way each time no two times alike lol.

Umm ok, How do you suppose to proceed in killing mobs in another way that has never been done before, fart them to death? ohh that won't work It's still same thing you still kill them but It's wraped up in a different package.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by cronius77
    lol at above post isnt it the truth here on this site seriously. I honestly would love to see a article from Anet posting about how they were adding in the dynamic events WAY before rift released because Ive never read anything on it and followed the game for awhile myself.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/dynamic-events-dev-journal-colin-johanson

If you don't want to read all that, here it is:

Are events an entirely brand-new system people have never seen before? No, they are notThey are our attempt to innovate on traditional concepts and elevate them to something different than what people have experienced before, while keeping alive enough of the old so that people feel comfortable with the system.

It’s worth noting that development on our event system started long before we ever knew about games like Warhammer Online or Rift, which share some commonalities with the events in Guild Wars 2. We learned lessons from their choices, but they never drove our core decision to use dynamic events. Focusing on what really makes dynamic events unique is really important in either enjoying them or in being disappointed based on the expectations someone may have for them. For us, the things that we expect from the dynamic event system, and what we think makes it unique, are the following:

Unlike any game ever made before Guild Wars 2, these events are our core content model for the game world. In other games you might find hundreds or thousands of quests, and some events scattered around as well; we literally have thousands of events with additional content scattered around to help support those events. The events are the core world content in Guild Wars 2 and make up the bulk of the content in the game between the open world and dungeons, with stuff like more traditional-style renown regions and exploration challenges there to provide a supporting hand to the events. We believe this creates a fundamental paradigm shift in the way you play and experience the game.

It's also worth noting that there was a thread for arguments like this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/361194/page/1

Hey, bud.  I've got a couple of bridges for sale.  Hit me up on PM.

I think A-Net also invented spells, swords and axes in a game.

It doesn't matter what you and I think. The guy asked for an article from ANet, I gave him one. Now, what the hell are you trying to do?