Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2 Dynamic Events ARE revolutionary, I can't wait till they are evolutionary!

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    You bring up things I have written months ago and you still remember what I wrote so yeah, stop stalking me.

That is not what you call stalking that is what you call having a very good memory. And i remember things a lot So when i see your posts treading on same line of argument it is hard to ignore what you have said earlier about casualas and players with jobs and families. After all GW2 is a very casual game, and even though one month old post still very relevant to the topic of discussion.

If you say so image

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• coltonjeffersoncoltonjefferson Richmond, INPosts: 33Member
    I honestly didn't like the DEs much at all.... They were incredibly repetitive.
  • BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,941Member Uncommon

Why do you care so much that people like GW2 that you start to insult people?

Have Anet done something awful to you?

I woudl like to ask the same why do you care if people don't think GW2 is revolutionary that you have to go on and on and try to make a believer out of them? it goes both ways you see.

What is find ironic is that you defend GW2 with such a a passion and then make topic where you insult casual players who want everything served on silver platter. Even though GW2 is the most casual MMO on market and designed keeping people with family and jobs in mind. 

its like you have a split personality or something.

I find it fascinating that this phrase is still banded about.  Its roots come from raiders who believe they are superior players, discounting the fact that players who play casually can be more skilled (I dont see you on WOL they say!) and want content that is hard but can be played over a time frame of their own choosing.  The casual = easy and simple is a blizzard perversion.

GW 2 is an evolution of GW1, nothing more nothing less, and it is casual friendly.  Its evolution will be more than just the latest and greatest dungeon.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,941Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by coltonjefferson
    I honestly didn't like the DEs much at all.... They were incredibly repetitive.

The point of De's is that it offers an alternative to the ? over the head model which is even worse.  Storytelling in the DE's could be richer and more progressive imo though.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• grimfallgrimfall Missouri City, TXPosts: 1,155Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by cronius77
    lol at above post isnt it the truth here on this site seriously. I honestly would love to see a article from Anet posting about how they were adding in the dynamic events WAY before rift released because Ive never read anything on it and followed the game for awhile myself.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/dynamic-events-dev-journal-colin-johanson

If you don't want to read all that, here it is:

Are events an entirely brand-new system people have never seen before? No, they are notThey are our attempt to innovate on traditional concepts and elevate them to something different than what people have experienced before, while keeping alive enough of the old so that people feel comfortable with the system.

It’s worth noting that development on our event system started long before we ever knew about games like Warhammer Online or Rift, which share some commonalities with the events in Guild Wars 2. We learned lessons from their choices, but they never drove our core decision to use dynamic events. Focusing on what really makes dynamic events unique is really important in either enjoying them or in being disappointed based on the expectations someone may have for them. For us, the things that we expect from the dynamic event system, and what we think makes it unique, are the following:

Unlike any game ever made before Guild Wars 2, these events are our core content model for the game world. In other games you might find hundreds or thousands of quests, and some events scattered around as well; we literally have thousands of events with additional content scattered around to help support those events. The events are the core world content in Guild Wars 2 and make up the bulk of the content in the game between the open world and dungeons, with stuff like more traditional-style renown regions and exploration challenges there to provide a supporting hand to the events. We believe this creates a fundamental paradigm shift in the way you play and experience the game.

It's also worth noting that there was a thread for arguments like this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/thread/361194/page/1

Hey, bud.  I've got a couple of bridges for sale.  Hit me up on PM.

I think A-Net also invented spells, swords and axes in a game.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Vineland, NJPosts: 869Member
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I keep hearing people talking about Dynamic Events and how they are just like Rift's rifts, or Warhammer's PQ's, but I don't see the similarity at all.   The DE's in GW2 are extremely revolutionary.   Rifts just seem to be random occurances of mobs all over the map, and that doesn't sound revolutionary at all, nothing like GW2 Dynamic Events.

Now I know that there are all sorts of people going to tell me how wrong I am. I've seen how people react to words, and especially words that might show GW2 in a positive light.  And I'm sure that none of them actually care if  nobody says anything, but they sure care if someone says that they like the game. It's just a negative world for many people, and they  feel compelled to "keep the optimism in check"

The DE's in GW2 are very revolutionary. Take for example, one of the norn Dynamic Events in the starting area.  It starts off with a norn woman wanting to collect wyrm eggs for food. Now she asks everyone in the area to help by retrieving as many wyrm eggs as possible, and she will use the eggs to make some food for everyone. Needless to say, she needs a lot of eggs, and the more people that take part, means she will need even more eggs. Once she has enough, she will say so and then give people a chance to bring the last of the eggs they've collected to her.  Yeah, thats right, she doesn't just stop and leave, she gives everyone a chance to participate even though she's reached her quota.

Then she goes back to the lodge to prepare a wondrous meal for everyone, but the scent of the eggs attracts wyrms to the lodge! Yes, this is a lodge with NPC vendors and everything, and everybody has to help fend off the wyrm attack! The attack almost seems endless as wave after wave of wyrms attack the lodge. The bodies of wyrms, and norn litter the ground in front of the lodge.  And once the assault is finally over, the eggs are ruined and the woman has to admit that it might not have been such a good idea to collect all those eggs. Another norn comments that the fight was magnificent (LOL! That is sooo norn) and before long the woman decides to go collect more eggs, and the event has gone through it's full revolution. Full circle, so to speak.

That is why I say that GW2 Dynamic Events are revolutionary, but what I'm really looking forward to is when they become evolutionary. When an event chain matures to not always come back to the exact same point. Maybe it will still have the potential to return to it's original point, but I would like to see multiple return points to start off from, as well as multiple outcomes. 

I can't wait to see where the genre moves to next.

• LeucentLeucent Penticton, BCPosts: 2,371Member
    Of coure they thought of them way before Rift and Warhammer. What a joke, riding the coat tails. I personally think Rifts , rifts/Zone events are a million times better then GW2 Orange circle watching.
  • xArsonistxxArsonistx deustland, ARPosts: 31Member

These dynamic events are the same as go here kill that quest only difference is how they packaged it. I fear for the human race when people blndly let companies repackage old stuff and they call it groundbreaking.

Tell you what I have invented dynamic toilet paper it will wipe your ass a different way each time no two times alike lol.

Originally posted by xArsonistx

These dynamic events are the same as go here kill that quest only difference is how they packaged it. I fear for the human race when people blndly let companies repackage old stuff and they call it groundbreaking.

Tell you what I have invented dynamic toilet paper it will wipe your ass a different way each time no two times alike lol.

Umm ok, How do you suppose to proceed in killing mobs in another way that has never been done before, fart them to death? ohh that won't work It's still same thing you still kill them but It's wraped up in a different package.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite ManilaPosts: 879Member
    Originally posted by grimfall
    lol at above post isnt it the truth here on this site seriously. I honestly would love to see a article from Anet posting about how they were adding in the dynamic events WAY before rift released because Ive never read anything on it and followed the game for awhile myself.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/dynamic-events-dev-journal-colin-johanson

Are events an entirely brand-new system people have never seen before? No, they are notThey are our attempt to innovate on traditional concepts and elevate them to something different than what people have experienced before, while keeping alive enough of the old so that people feel comfortable with the system.

It’s worth noting that development on our event system started long before we ever knew about games like Warhammer Online or Rift, which share some commonalities with the events in Guild Wars 2. We learned lessons from their choices, but they never drove our core decision to use dynamic events. Focusing on what really makes dynamic events unique is really important in either enjoying them or in being disappointed based on the expectations someone may have for them. For us, the things that we expect from the dynamic event system, and what we think makes it unique, are the following:

Unlike any game ever made before Guild Wars 2, these events are our core content model for the game world. In other games you might find hundreds or thousands of quests, and some events scattered around as well; we literally have thousands of events with additional content scattered around to help support those events. The events are the core world content in Guild Wars 2 and make up the bulk of the content in the game between the open world and dungeons, with stuff like more traditional-style renown regions and exploration challenges there to provide a supporting hand to the events. We believe this creates a fundamental paradigm shift in the way you play and experience the game.

It doesn't matter what you and I think. The guy asked for an article from ANet, I gave him one. Now, what the hell are you trying to do?

• EnerzealEnerzeal WarringtonPosts: 326Member

The DE's in GW2 are very revolutionary. Take for example, one of the norn Dynamic Events in the starting area.  It starts off with a norn woman wanting to collect wyrm eggs for food. Now she asks everyone in the area to help by retrieving as many wyrm eggs as possible, and she will use the eggs to make some food for everyone. Needless to say, she needs a lot of eggs, and the more people that take part, means she will need even more eggs. Once she has enough, she will say so and then give people a chance to bring the last of the eggs they've collected to her.  Yeah, thats right, she doesn't just stop and leave, she gives everyone a chance to participate even though she's reached her quota.

Then she goes back to the lodge to prepare a wondrous meal for everyone, but the scent of the eggs attracts wyrms to the lodge! Yes, this is a lodge with NPC vendors and everything, and everybody has to help fend off the wyrm attack! The attack almost seems endless as wave after wave of wyrms attack the lodge. The bodies of wyrms, and norn litter the ground in front of the lodge.  And once the assault is finally over, the eggs are ruined and the woman has to admit that it might not have been such a good idea to collect all those eggs. Another norn comments that the fight was magnificent (LOL! That is sooo norn) and before long the woman decides to go collect more eggs, and the event has gone through it's full revolution. Full circle, so to speak.

What is dynamic about this? It's a god damn quest chain! Get me eggs, okay we got eggs, ohh no we're being attacked! Defend from attack - okay go  get more eggs!

Start again.

Do you know what Dynamic means? Is this even for real?

Characterized by continuous change, activity, or progress

You just told me exactly what happens in the event, no divergence, no change, absolutely nothing about it was truly dynamic!

The location, the same. The activity, the same. The steps taken to complete the activity, the same!

This is what an MMO gamers is happy with these days! No wonder this genre is nose diving.

Originally posted by Enerzeal

What is dynamic about this? It's a god damn quest chain! Get me eggs, okay we got eggs, ohh no we're being attacked! Defend from attack - okay go  get more eggs!

Start again.

You just told me exactly what happens in the event, no divergence, no change, absolutely nothing about it was truly dynamic!

The location, the same. The activity, the same. The steps taken to complete the activity, the same!

This is what an MMO gamers is happy with these days! No wonder this genre is nose diving.

Here we go again.

I suggest you read thrue this thread, plenty of people have explained what Dynamic is in GW2 and how it works and what it means.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Wolcott, NYPosts: 671Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by grimfall

It doesn't matter what you and I think. The guy asked for an article from ANet, I gave him one. Now, what the hell are you trying to do?

The Naysayers just want to whine and cry about something they don't like even if there is evidence to the contrary. Nice post.

• xArsonistxxArsonistx deustland, ARPosts: 31Member

Umm ok, How do you suppose to proceed in killing mobs in another way that has never been done before, fart them to death? ohh that won't work It's still same thing you still kill them but It's wraped up in a different package.

I never said I had the ultimate idea. Simply stating that they rebranded quest to make the gullible believe they were getting something new when in fact they get the same thing wrapped in a different package.

Its PR ya know you literally can't believe a single word a company or a reviewer says anymore. People have lost all dignity and are easily bought.

• NaralNaral Solway, MNPosts: 751Member
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    It's not about who did them first. It's about who did the right first.

Jury is still out on that. I do not get any more awe inspired feeling from DEs, than I did Rifts or PQs. They all play out roughly the same, and they all share similar technical problems.  I do not feel GW2s take to be all that much different really from the other two versions. Certainly not as different as they should be.

I never said I had the ultimate idea. Simply stating that they rebranded quest to make the gullible believe they were getting something new when in fact they get the same thing wrapped in a different package.

Its PR ya know you literally can't believe a single word a company or a reviewer says anymore. People have lost all dignity and are easily bought.

Pretty much everything has been done before since the dawn of computer gaming.

Only thing that is left are VR and the holodecks but that's just new tech the core gaming still same as we have today.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite ManilaPosts: 879Member

Start again.

In your typical quest chain, the quest giver will always be there, ready to give you your task, tracking your progress along the chain. Go to the lodge any number of times and he will always be there, at the most wandering around. In the particular DE the OP described, you go to the lodge and you will be met with different possible state:

1.) The girl is asking around for help with egg collection

2.) The girl is no longer there, as she is gathering eggs not too far away

3.) The lodge is under attack by Gryphons

4.) Eggs are cooked, and the girl is selling omelettes.

Quest chain or not, scripted or not, repeating or not, you simply CANT say that this is the same experience as a traditional Quest system. This is why we are happy. We are able to appreciate the strive to move away from traditional systems. People like you though, apparently want something you cannot summarize or predict. You're gonna be staying bitter towards the genre for a much longer time, I'm afraid.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member

Only thing that is left are VR and the holodecks but that's just new tech the core gaming still same as we have today.

Define "core gaming", because I assume you would be more specific than just simply stating something like "PvE and PvP".

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Define "core gaming", because I assume you would be more specific than just simply stating something like "PvE and PvP".

Kill

Escort

Fed-ex

Pick random items

• LatronusLatronus Lexington Park, MDPosts: 692Member

Start again.

In your typical quest chain, the quest giver will always be there, ready to give you your task, tracking your progress along the chain. Go to the lodge any number of times and he will always be there, at the most wandering around. In the particular DE the OP described, you go to the lodge and you will be met with different possible state:

Quest chain or not, scripted or not, repeating or not, you simply CANT say that this is the same experience as a traditional Quest system. This is why we are happy. We are able to appreciate the strive to move away from traditional systems. People like you though, apparently want something you cannot summarize or predict. You're gonna be staying bitter towards the genre for a much longer time, I'm afraid.

This is exactly the same crap we've been doing for years.  Just you and the fanbois like you are too blinded to the fact that all these DEs are is re-skinned kill, gather, protect, and escort quests just shows how far the community has degenerated into a bunch of easily fooled lemmings.  The big difference is there isn't a "?" Over the quest givers head, but it has been replaced by a bigass circle when the DE is active.   Oooooh, so revolutionary.  They are nothing but the traditional quest system, you are just too blinded  to see it.

The only revolutionary thing about them is they have fooled the suckers into believing they are revolutionary.  

Originally posted by Latronus

Start again.

This is exactly the same crap we've been doing for years.  Just you and the fanbois like you are too blinded to the fact that all these DEs are is re-skinned kill, gather, protect, and escort quests just shows how far the community has degenerated into a bunch of easily fooled lemmings.  The big difference is there isn't a "?" Over the quest givers head, but it has been replaced by a bigass circle when the DE is active.   Oooooh, so revolutionary.  They are nothing but the traditional quest system, you are just too blinded  to see it.

The only revolutionary thing about them is they have fooled the suckers into believing they are revolutionary.  

Really this is getting out of hand, can't you hear yourself how this sounds really dumb when you wrote it?

Of course It's all about kill shit, gather shit, crafting shit, pick shit, protect shit.....what else is there to do in a game in any game???????

I take it you have ideas how to make features that no one ever had in their wildest dreams right, It sounds like it with your respons.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

Seems to be some emotional investment in "winning" this argument.

Oh, it's Saturday, of course. Hey, look over there; Redskins vs Cowboys!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MyriaMyria Lowell, MAPosts: 570Member Uncommon

Really this is getting out of hand, can't you hear yourself how this sounds really dumb when you wrote it?

Of course It's all about kill shit, gather shit, crafting shit, pick shit, protect shit.....what else is there to do in a game in any game???????

I take it you have ideas how to make features that no one ever had in their wildest dreams right, It sounds like it with your respons.

When you feel the need to start your post with a pointless insult, you've already well and truly lost.

That aside, the whole point of something being "revolutionary" is that it has found a way to do something new, and not just rested on the "what else is there to do?" argument.

PQs were revolutionary, a concept that worked (sorta, I ran into more than my fair share that couldn't be finished due to bugging or lack of population, but whatever) and added something completely new to the MMO formula.

Rifts, adding the notion of invasions and zone events, were an evolution of that basic concept.

DEs, like Champion's version (albeit Cryptic never tried to make a big deal of them), being nothing really more than a renaming of PQs, are neither revolutionary nor evolutionary.

And that, of course, is where the argument is -- for reasons that wholly escape me, some argue that DEs are somehow something new and not simply a near copy-and-paste of PQs. I've yet to see anyone articulate a good reason for this belief.

• ThebigchinThebigchin LondonPosts: 9Member
    Originally posted by Latronus

Start again.

But it is the manner in which it is delivered that matters.  By your argument you may as well subsist on gruel because it keeps you alive.  

Originally posted by Myria

When you feel the need to start your post with a pointless insult, you've already well and truly lost.

That aside, the whole point of something being "revolutionary" is that it has found a way to do something new, and not just rested on the "what else is there to do?" argument.

PQs were revolutionary, a concept that worked (sorta, I ran into more than my fair share that couldn't be finished due to bugging or lack of population, but whatever) and added something completely new to the MMO formula.

Rifts, adding the notion of invasions and zone events, were an evolution of that basic concept.

DEs, like Champion's version (albeit Cryptic never tried to make a big deal of them), being nothing really more than a renaming of PQs, are neither revolutionary nor evolutionary.

And that, of course, is where the argument is -- for reasons that wholly escape me, some argue that DEs are somehow something new and not simply a near copy-and-paste of PQs. I've yet to see anyone articulate a good reason for this belief.

Read what he wrote then you understand.