Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does archeage.info worth 120$ ?

IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Hello!

1 year and almost 2 months ago I bought archeage.info domain , but  ... because of being kinda of lazy , I "forgot" to renew it and now they took it off my account. The think it, since I am the last owner of the domain, I can still get it back before they put it on-sale again, but for the price of 120$. I could wait till the domain goes public, but I am pretty sure that I will not be the first who will purchase it.

Anyway , I would like to buy it again, but does it worth it? I purchased it back then , thinking to open a fan-base website for Archeage, but now I don't actually have that much of time to manage it. Is there someone who has time to take care of news, managing forum and such if I buy it again? I will provide : domain name and hosting for free! And other usefull informations if needed.

If there is none, then I think I will leave the domain to whoever will purchase it. But I am "afraid" that someone will buy it just to re-sell it for a higher price.

Let me know what you think.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If you don't want to make the website.. why do you care if it's bought again and resold?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I said I don't have time, and not that I don't want to make the website! I even said that I purchased it back then,  to open a fan-base website of ArcheAge. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

So if you don't have the time then you can't make the website, whether you want to or not.. so why does it matter what happens to the domain?

Unless you are trying to get someone to run a fansite with adverts and you plan on taking some of the money it makes because you own the domain.

I am trying to get someone to run the website? Yes! For ads income? :) No!

How much do you think a website like archeage.info will do from ads? I am in this business,  and if I would have saw an oportunity to make money with archeage.info , I would have renew it. Heck, I even want to buy it now for 120$ , but no, not for ads! I want it to be a fan-base website where archeage fan players will meet and disscus about the game and such. 

It takes time to make a community website. Gathering news, infos , regulary to keep the website "up to date", it takes kind of a lot of time. 

So yes, having someone to manage it, will be great. I can even help to make the website if I have time and if there is someone who really wants to take this "job" !

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206
    .info has no value.
    Originally posted by mechtech256
    .info has no value.

Every extension , theoretically, has a value if it's "in good hands" . Same goes for the name of the domain. I can have mechtech256.info and if I manage it good , and raise it's PR and bring SE traffic, then it will be very profitable.  

So you plan on designing the website, setting it up and just want someone to admin it after it's all ready?

That wasn't clear for your original post.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    didn't the days of buying and selling domain names die in like 2002?  if you want the domain buy it.  if not don't.  no one is going to buy the domain from you.  they will just use a different one.
    Originally posted by Vannor

So you plan on designing the website, setting it up and just want someone to admin it after it's all ready?

I said I will even help to make the website IF I have time.  As for the rest yes, it stands and I was clear on my original post : domain name + hosting for free ( as I have 3 dedicated servers ), so basically I will pay only for the domain name.  

Else, if you understood something else, please copy/paste my line where I have been saying that I will design the website, ( setting it up it's .......fine, I can do it if the website it's finished )

Originally posted by muffins89
    didn't the days of buying and selling domain names die in like 2002?  if you want the domain buy it.  if not don't.  no one is going to buy the domain from you.  they will just use a different one.

I wonder why I bothered asking this on mmorpg.com ! Did you even readed my original post?

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    I have no knowledge of website design ( coding etc.) or anything like that, however as far as keeping it updated etc. I'm more than happy to help out if you need people. I've always been interesting in being part of a fansite but never had the time or web design knowlege to do one myself.
    Originally posted by IceAge

I said I will even help to make the website IF I have time.  As for the rest yes, it stands and I was clear on my original post : domain name + hosting for free ( as I have 3 dedicated servers ), so basically I will pay only for the domain name.  

Else, if you understood something else, please copy/paste my line where I have been saying that I will design the website, ( setting it up it's .......fine, I can do it if the website it's finished )

Er well no, it wasn't clear in your original post because that's not what I understood from it. But thanks for starting to get rude and defensive! I was asking some questions and you've interpreted it all wrong. You're being strange anyway.. you're basically saying you will pay $120 for a domain for someone else for no reason at all.. it won't be your fansite.. but you'll have to power to take it from whoever works on your domain whenever you want and call all the shots. I can not for the life of me understand why you would do this.. braggin rights based on all the effort someone else put into your domain? Advert revenue I can understand.. but you've said you didn't want that. Maybe you're just sad that the domain might go to waste and have strange feelings about it? Why would you buy this domain for someone else to use? Why?

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

I wonder why I bothered asking this on mmorpg.com ! Did you even readed my original post?

Its pretty hard with how broken your english is honestly. Cannot read what is poorly communicated. Generally speaking, unless you are willing to put in the work, or pay someone else to put in the work, no it will not be worth your time. Whether you do it or not, sites will get made regardless.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Don't bother..........Its worth nothing. Zilch. Zip....ZERO

But go ahead and blow 120.00 if you think otherwise. Im telling you now though, its junk.............

All Will Be Well.....

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

What do you get out of this?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Robokapp

I said I will even help to make the website IF I have time.

Nobody's going to commit to something that will only happen IF you have time.

if you want someone's commitment, you better commit yourself.

The "who wants to work on my project? we'll make this project if I have time" approach is simply too unreliable.

No! It's not what I was asking or saying! If someone wants to work on this website, then he will have my support beside domain name and hosting. He can do like (almost) everything he wants. Simple as that.

In a project, there will always be more then 1 person. I am bringing the domain + hosting + support as long as I have time and when I have time. The other person should then take care of the website, managing it and such. Again , is simple! It's team-work.  It's this guy with a broken car, and there is this other guy who will make the car work.

Anyway, why do you people see me like I want to profit from someone's work? 

Originally posted by waynejr2

What do you get out of this?

Since I am a big fan of AA , and I like keeping in touch with the community from time to time, I will have the pleasure to offer and have a place to know AA fan's from around the world. I like to take part in projects like this.

Plus, I want to buy a new car, a new apartment , plus few bitches to wake me in the morning with the dinner ready...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I think the fan forum would do well, even if you partner up with someone to manage it and split revenue.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

In a project, there will always be more then 1 person. I am bringing the domain + hosting + support as long as I have time and when I have time.

So you'll be doing less than 1% of the work.. domain and hosting is not work.. you set it up and it's done.. you almost never have to touch it again. Support when you have the time.. you've already said you don't have the time, that's why you're not doing it yourself. Doesn't sound ilke teamwork to me. If you have your own sites already and are in this business, like you said earlier, then you know this already. It sounds like you'll have your own bitch to achieve everything you don't have the time to do and then you'll take credit for it.

You just want a fansite. You don't have the time for a fansite. You want someone else to make your fansite so you can claim you have a fansite. You don't need your own fansite to be in touch with the community. You probably want to be seen as important in the community. Domains are not websites. Websites are websites. You will not own the website.. not the copyright, not the content, not the account information etc. etc.. If I sign up with one.com (free for a year) and make a website.. one.com is not in my team, that website is completely mine.. nor are they entitled to any money I make from it.

I'm sure your intentions are good.. but it's all a bit pointless for you. Any benefit you get from doing this is an illusion. You won't be part of the team, the website will not be yours. It will be a total waste of your money and the 'tiny' amount of time it will take to set up hosting.

In a project, there will always be more then 1 person. I am bringing the domain + hosting + support as long as I have time and when I have time.

So you'll be doing less than 1% of the work.. domain and hosting is not work.. you set it up and it's done.. you almost never have to touch it again. Support when you have the time.. you've already said you don't have the time, that's why you're not doing it yourself. Doesn't sound ilke teamwork to me. If you have your own sites already and are in this business, like you said earlier, then you know this already. It sounds like you'll have your own bitch to achieve everything you don't have the time to do and then you'll take credit for it.

You just want a fansite. You don't have the time for a fansite. You want someone else to make your fansite so you can claim you have a fansite. You don't need your own fansite to be in touch with the community. You probably want to be seen as important in the community. Domains are not websites. Websites are websites. You will not own the website.. not the copyright, not the content, not the account information etc. etc.. If I sign up with one.com (free for a year) and make a website.. one.com is not in my team, that website is completely mine.. nor are they entitled to any money I make from it.

I'm sure your intentions are good.. but it's all a bit pointless for you. Any benefit you get from doing this is an illusion. You won't be part of the team, the website will not be yours. It will be a total waste of your money and the 'tiny' amount of time it will take to set up hosting.

You got it all wrong ! While I understand what you mean, this is not what I want to do. You gave some poor exemples over there, really! It seems you don't know what I am talking about. archeage.info , it's a good name to start a project like this, which I can own it. The other part it's I know things , lot's of things. Yes, I don't have the time to offer myself 100% in this project, but I will help as much as I can. What I can do in 1 hour , you may do it in 1 day. 

I want a fansite, but I want someone on my side, who is passionate about AA and like to manage a website like this . Heck, I even said I will help to make the website, depending on who and if I find someone, and how much he really wants to join this project. I can help with coding, graphic , setting it up, etc  , so what more do you want me to give? I will also be a bit active on the forum. 

Regarding that I will almost never have to touch the server again, I say you are wrong. But I am not going to start a disscusion about this subject. And no, I don't want my own bitch to "work" for me. You keep saying things which tend to sound like .. I will walk away with someone's work and with all the "money" , right?

If that's the case, then you are very wrong my friend.

You got it all wrong ! While I understand what you mean, this is not what I want to do. You gave some poor exemples over there, really! It seems you don't know what I am talking about. archeage.info , it's a good name to start a project like this, which I can own it. The other part it's I know things , lot's of things. Yes, I don't have the time to offer myself 100% in this project, but I will help as much as I can. What I can do in 1 hour , you may do it in 1 day. 

I want a fansite, but I want someone on my side, who is passionate about AA and like to manage a website like this . Heck, I even said I will help to make the website, depending on who and if I find someone, and how much he really wants to join this project. I can help with coding, graphic , setting it up, etc  , so what more do you want me to give? I will also be a bit active on the forum. 

Regarding that I will almost never have to touch the server again, I say you are wrong. But I am not going to start a disscusion about this subject. And no, I don't want my own bitch to "work" for me. You keep saying things which tend to sound like .. I will walk away with someone's work and with all the "money" , right?

I did say I'm sure your intentions are good.

Look, finding someone you don't already know to trust that you 'might' have the time to help out is a long shot. I doubt you will find someone willing to do that. They can't take on a project without knowing exactly how much time they will have to invest themselves and even if they do, it'll probably fail or demand too much of your time unless they are already really good. If they are already really good then they won't need you anyway, they'd just do it all themselves.

I did say I'm sure your intentions are good.

Look, finding someone you don't already know to trust that you 'might' have the time to help out is a long shot. I doubt you will find someone willing to do that. They can't take on a project without knowing exactly how much time they will have to invest themselves and even if they do, it'll probably fail or demand too much of your time unless they are already really good. If they are already really good then they won't need you anyway, they'd just do it all themselves.

Fair enough, specially with the last sentence. Well , if I find someone then it's great, if not .. then I will still buy the domain and start working on the website when I have the time, but I will still need a mood or moods :)