Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE is not all that "EVIL"

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I wanted to share something with the community as it seems people will not let things go and are still mad that SOE pissed in their Cheerios years ago, or like a bad breakup broke their heart..

People... Get over yourselves. Hate ain't gunna solve anything... Hopefully this pasted over correctly

Without further a do

Incident Reference #121105-XXXXXXXX
Summary:  Triple Station cash
Product Level 1:  Vanguard
Category Level 1:  Account / Billing Questions
Date Created:  11/05/2012 05:50 PM
Last Updated:  11/16/2012 12:38 AM
Station Name:   
Server:   
Character ID:   

Problem Description

Character Name

Discussion Thread
 Response Via Email (TSR Jamison W.) 11/08/2012 10:02 AM
Hello,

I've granted 10000 Station Cash to your account. If you need anything further, please feel free to let us know.

Thank You,

CSR Jamison W.
Senior Customer Service Agent

For your convenience, you can find answers to many common issues in our Knowledge Base located here: http://www.soe.com/en/support/
Simply select the game you are having trouble with to begin!
 Response Via Email (TSR Jennifer Z.) 11/07/2012 11:01 AM
Greetings XXXXX,

I have escalated your ticket to the billing escalations department to process this request for you. If you have any more questions or concerns, please let me know.

Answer Title: Keep Your Account Secure
Answer Link: http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/XXXXXX

Regards,

CSR JenniferZ

Contact SOE Account, Billing, and Technical Support
Phone, Chat, and Email: http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/XXXXXX
 Customer By Web Form (XXXXXXX) 11/06/2012 07:04 PM
Thanks for your kind words.

I just purchased $50 (5000) SC that I would like to receive the promotional upgrade as mentioned below.

To very my account:
Last 4 digits XXXX
Cardholders Name XXXXXXXXXXXX
Secret Question: XXXXXXXXX

Please let me know if there is any other information needed.
 Response Via Email (TSR Charles I.) 11/06/2012 04:01 PM
Greetings XXXXXX,

I hope that you and your family are safe and we should be able to assist you in granting you triple Station Cash since you were not able to purchase it during the promotion. Please purchase the amount of Station Cash you would like us to grant the promotion to and let me know how much. Also please provide the requested information below so that we can verify ownership of your account.

- Station Username: dwils
- The last 4 digits of the Credit Card used to pay for Subscription or Membership:
- The cardholder’s name:
- Current answer to your Security Question(Where were you born?):

If you do not have all of the above information, please fill out as much of the following information as best you can:
- The full billing address:
- Account / registration key:
- E-mail address:

Please keep the format above. This will enable us to process your request more efficiently. Thank you for your patience.Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment.

Answer Title: How to Update a Help Ticket
Answer Link: http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/XXXXX

Your reference number for this contact is: 121105-XXXXXXX

Regards,
TSR Charles I.

Contact SOE Account, Billing, and Technical Support
Phone Support:
Monday through Friday from 7:00am - 7:00pm PT (excluding holidays) at 858-537-0898.

Live Chat Support:
Monday through Friday from 10:00am - 7:00pm PST (excluding holidays)
http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bin/soe.cfg/php/enduser/chat.php

Email Support is available anytime:
http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bin/soe.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php
 Customer By Web Form (XXXXXX) 11/05/2012 05:50 PM
Unfortunately due to a power outage caused by Hurricane Sandy I was not able to take advantage of triple station cash and was hoping SOE would extend a courtesy to me allowing me to make a purchase at the triple rate. I live in XXXXXXX and my power was only restored in my building at 3pm EST today November 5th.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Best Regards,

-XXXXXXXXX

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Their CS has indeed come leaps and bounds since the old days, it's very true. Every problem I have had in EQ1 / EQ2 (which are very few) they have helped and solved over the years.
  • WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

So one good trait offsets all the bad history with SOE?  Not for me it does.  SOE still sucks.

Happy for you OP that you actually got good customer support at all, and not just when it comes to gaming.  But it does not reverse the fact that SOE has some terrible track history.  For me, I still have grief with them over SWG, and that's been going since 2005.  They pulled the "WELCOME" mat from underneath the existing playerbase, which I was a part of, and went looking for money elsewhere.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Warmaker

So one good trait offsets all the bad history with SOE?  Not for me it does.  SOE still sucks.

Happy for you OP that you actually got good customer support at all, and not just when it comes to gaming.  But it does not reverse the fact that SOE has some terrible track history.  For me, I still have grief with them over SWG, and that's been going since 2005.  They pulled the "WELCOME" mat from underneath the existing playerbase, which I was a part of, and went looking for money elsewhere.

I hope you never fuk up in life and have to be judged by someone like yourself...

Everyone deserves a little redemption

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Wighty

I hope you never fuk up in life and have to be judged by someone like yourself...

Making mistakes is one thing.

Intentionally doing the wrong thing when you know it's the wrong thing is another one.

SOE's decisions never were accidental mistakes. And they always knew they were doing the wrong thing. The community was there telling them so.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

SOE are not evil, they nor any other company are not pantomine villains. They have put profit over the players many times in the past, but gaming companies are doing that all the time, you just don't tend to notice it.

Their player trust issues are more in the public eye that is all.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

see i dont have this history with sony, never played swg, couldnt get into EQ etc..

what I can say, for me personally, with PS2 they've given me the first AAA mmo in a long while that I can have FUN playing.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I've never had a good experience with SOE CS.

My most recent run in with them....I tried to get a PW reset but didn't know the secret question. The account I was trying to reset had no games attached to it and the email was mine and had never been changed. I was told without the answer they couldn't help me.

I told him if I knew the answer I wouldn't need his help and who tries to steal an account with no games on it with the original email. All he said was sorry there was nothing he could do without the answer to the secret question. He wouldn't reset the PW and send it to the original email address.

If you have to have all the info required by the automated PW retreval system or the CS can't help...what's the point in having a person dealing with it. Was it to have a person tell me they can't help me instead of a computer ? They still don't get what " helping a customer " means.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    SOE have always had good CS, they're probably one of the best, much better than Bioware or Blizzard which take like a month to get back to you to not help you out. It's their games that suck..
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Why SOE got so much flak was their SWG dumbing down patch called NGE, people won't forget that.

Personly I don't have any problem with SOE at all the real evil are EA The devour of game studios hurler of crap games and sinister money greeder..

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    SOE has a great support for best PVE game on market that is EQ2 so i have no problems with them. 9 expansion and more to go in future, can not ask for more.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    Originally posted by Wighty

Making mistakes is one thing.

Intentionally doing the wrong thing when you know it's the wrong thing is another one.

SOE's decisions never were accidental mistakes. And they always knew they were doing the wrong thing. The community was there telling them so.

You are right, the changes in SWG where a mistake, they indeed should have stood up and told Lucas(art) no to these changes.

Then again when I look back all I see is 12ish year of endless hours of entertainment, in their various of products. Not to mention they have shown more then willing to invest and try to fix their products, not all for the better unfortunately. But Vanguards is a great excample of that.

Only publisher Id be sceptical about would be Microsoft (see vanguards), but even from them if they make something that strikes my curiousity Ill still try it.  Whats the worst that can happen? If I like it , Ill like it and when it stops being fun I move on.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Buying your loyalty is still evil.

SONY ONLINE EVIL!!!

They've burned their bridges and they know it.

a yo ho ho

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by DamonVile
    I've never had a good experience with SOE CS.My most recent run in with them....I tried to get a PW reset but didn't know the secret question. The account I was trying to reset had no games attached to it and the email was mine and had never been changed. I was told without the answer they couldn't help me.I told him if I knew the answer I wouldn't need his help and who tries to steal an account with no games on it with the original email. All he said was sorry there was nothing he could do without the answer to the secret question. He wouldn't reset the PW and send it to the original email address.If you have to have all the info required by the automated PW retreval system or the CS can't help...what's the point in having a person dealing with it. Was it to have a person tell me they can't help me instead of a computer ? They still don't get what " helping a customer " means.
    It's a security measure, for God's sake! You hate them for enforcing the very measure they put in place to protect your account?

What if someone else had said the same things you did to them? Would you hate them then for bending the rules to accommodate this false you?

No games on an account you cannot access? Why not just create another account and go from there? No. Instead, go on a hate rampage against a company for doing their job in helping to protect your own account, that you neglected to take the responsibility to remember a security question for.

Get a grip. In your eyes, SOE had no way of winning in your case. Had they bent their rules, you would walk away thinking, "How secure are these accounts when they bend their own security rules?"

Or maybe you would not have thought that...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Here's where I'm looking at it. These big publishers/in-house dev companies - I'm more and more inclined to stay away from any/all these peeps (except fifa)

Even AreneNet which is imo seemingly a cool company and excellent in it's interactions with it's community of players - is owned by it's pay-masters at NCSoft.

The problem is these big publishers are in it at the "strategy level" of investment/stock price/assets and capital - so all their decisions are about making this big entity bigger fish than other similar entities eg EA buying up companies to add into a spreadsheet that value somewhere eg IP.

=

I'm less and less interested in spending my leisure time interacting in that corporate cycle. Sure someone has to stump up the cash to invest in mmorpg development, but you look at the corporate culture of SOE and co. and their decisions in the past - it's always been about the big numbers: "How can we make more money out of this, before the next big release?" in the other big genre?

The more mmorpgs target specific niches with specific gameplay - the better imo.

*queasy* image

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Rider071
    Their CS has indeed come leaps and bounds since the old days, it's very true. Every problem I have had in EQ1 / EQ2 (which are very few) they have helped and solved over the years.

While their CS is good (I have not had a personal issue with it since '99 in EQ, EQ2, or VG), the fact that they even have a cash shop/ F2P in EQ2 today shows them to be the serial bullshitters that they are.

The simple truth is that SOE make fun (to me) games but they have an allergic reaction to being truthful. They (Smed) just say what they want you to believe right now, whatever their plans for the near future really are... Profit trumps integrity every time in the SOE corperate philosophy, and as cutomers that should be an issue to every one of whoever plays their games.

In short, I do not believe a single word these guys say until I see it, and then I expect it to change into something else in the next 6 months or whatever if it makes them more money. It's the best way to avoid becoming annoyed at them. Think and assume the very worst lies as carpet bag their games and (hopefully) they can only exceed your expections.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Here's where I'm looking at it. These big publishers/in-house dev companies - I'm more and more inclined to stay away from any/all these peeps (except fifa)

Even AreneNet which is imo seemingly a cool company and excellent in it's interactions with it's community of players - is owned by it's pay-masters at NCSoft.

The problem is these big publishers are in it at the "strategy level" of investment/stock price/assets and capital - so all their decisions are about making this big entity bigger fish than other similar entities eg EA buying up companies to add into a spreadsheet that value somewhere eg IP.

=

I'm less and less interested in spending my leisure time interacting in that corporate cycle. Sure someone has to stump up the cash to invest in mmorpg development, but you look at the corporate culture of SOE and co. and their decisions in the past - it's always been about the big numbers: "How can we make more money out of this, before the next big release?" in the other big genre?

The more mmorpgs target specific niches with specific gameplay - the better imo.

*queasy* image

virtually all the games in the post WoW era are 'niche' games, and tbh, while these various companies may (or may not) be the spawn of the devil.. without them we would not have half the games we do today, thing is, Online gaming is where most of the money is made in the game industry. It has meant that games quality is steadily improving, and will no doubt continue to do so for years to come. But that means teams of developers, code monkeys etc etc, so while we may hate some of these companies, and not without reason, for some of their past misdemeanors, we also have to rely on them. Its a love hate thing really image

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

People they are a friggin business... Since when do they owe anyone a debt of gratitude.

This spoiled brat entitlement complex... wah wah wah they changed my beloved game. Back then it was a business decision. Some business decisions are good for some and not others.

If you want my honest opinion SOE is one of the few compnaies that seem to be actually going in the right direction. You can bash that Smedley guy all you want because everyone needs to "blame someone" but in truth when you put him and SOE next to a company like EA it makes them look like girl scouts.

I wanted to share a situation that I experienced with customer service that showed some serious consideration under the cirtcumstances. I was in the wake of the Hurricane Sandy storm and lost power (nothing compared to what others in my area faced) and SOE was kind enough to extend the triple SC promotion for me because of this.

Try getting that with any other company out there... I bet very few would be so accomodating. What are the usual "canned answers" people usually get.

"I'm sorry for your situation but unfortunately there is nothing that can be done." "Is there anything else I can (not) help you with?"

It was 7 damn years ago... As far as I know they are the ONLY western AAA developer that is building a sandbox (perhaps in the spirit of SWG) in EQNext. I think we can expect a lot from SOE moving forward.

I can understand some are burned and very cynical/skeptic... Just keep an open mind for christ sake...

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

It's a security measure, for God's sake! You hate them for enforcing the very measure they put in place to protect your account?

What if someone else had said the same things you did to them? Would you hate them then for bending the rules to accommodate this false you?

No games on an account you cannot access? Why not just create another account and go from there? No. Instead, go on a hate rampage against a company for doing their job in helping to protect your own account, that you neglected to take the responsibility to remember a security question for.

Get a grip. In your eyes, SOE had no way of winning in your case. Had they bent their rules, you would walk away thinking, "How secure are these accounts when they bend their own security rules?"

Or maybe you would not have thought that...

There are lots of ways to confirm who I am beyond knowing who my childhood hero is. If you forget a password it stands to reason people will forget a security question on an account made years ago.

The point is they gave me no option to get the account back all I got was sorry can't help you. Not, you have to call this number or email this link with this info,  just....nope can't do anything for you.

And.. a hate rampage really ? I don't think you being a drama queen makes your point any better.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    I have been playing SOE games for over 5 years and have had nothing but positive things to say about their customer service.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Why SOE got so much flak was their SWG dumbing down patch called NGE, people won't forget that.

Personly I don't have any problem with SOE at all the real evil are EA The devour of game studios hurler of crap games and sinister money greeder..

The thing is though, The NGE was mainly LA, and it was LA reps (ie Julio Torres who was also responsble for KOTOR, Force Unleashed) selling the NGE when it emerged, and even some SOE staff (eg Tiggs) lost their jobs trying to stop the NGE from happening, but because SOE were the front focus they got slammed, and LA got away scot free, to screw evryone over agian with SWTOR

SOE is definately not evil.

I agree with EA being evil though!

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

The last SoE game I ever played was Potbs it was an awesome game at the start, there were some bugs and a few balancing issues (though very minor in my opinion) it had an awesome economy and a tactical PvP battle system that was very deep.

It seemed like every patch they applied seemed to hinder the progress of the game and not really address the issues that were present in game from the start. Now I'm not sure whether it was SoE or Flying Lab that was in charge of the direction of the game at the time but every SoE game I've tried seems to go in a similar direction.

Either way I hold no hate against them just a caution towards the games they publish and the direction their games seem to go.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by superniceguy

The thing is though, The NGE was mainly LA, and it was LA reps (ie Julio Torres who was also responsble for KOTOR, Force Unleashed) selling the NGE when it emerged, and even some SOE staff (eg Tiggs) lost their jobs trying to stop the NGE from happening, but because SOE were the front focus they got slammed, and LA got away scot free, to screw evryone over agian with SWTOR

Why are you continuing to spread this disinformation about the SOE and the NGE?

NGE was SOEs baby, both SOE as company and developers have said so numerous times. You may even find posts about it here at MMORPG.  And you have never seen anything published by Lucas Arts contradicting this.

Trying to stop the NGE had nothing to do with Tiggs losing her job. She was as unaware of the NGE as any of the non-top management peoples. She stopped working for SOE some time after the release. It is assumed that she was tired of lying to the customers.

I don’t think SOE is evil, they were just acting very stupid and made some very bad decisions.

That said, they have the entire quilt for the NGE disaster. It’s SOE and the people that continued to support these kind of actions during the months after the NGE that are to blame. You know it and see what you got. Companies took the concept one step further and guess what we got? SWTOR, the game you talks bad about as soon you have a chance. That’s YOUR baby indirectly….

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Sandbox

Because I simply do not believe anything else. Julio Torres is in that video, not Smedley or any one from SOE. Why would LA do that if the NGE was bad? They would not and let SOE do it if they were the ones responsible for the NGE

Here is the initial forum post of the NGE on SOE forums, again by Julio Torres/LA and not SOE.

Whoevers "baby" it was, would be the ones promoting it.

The only reason SOE had anything to do with it, was because they were the ones hosting it. LA called the shots, as stated by Smedley himself

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Because I simply do not believe anything else. Julio Torres is in that video, not Smedley or any one from SOE. Why would LA do that if the NGE was bad? They would not and let SOE do it if they were the ones responsible for the NGE

Here is the initial forum post of the NGE on SOE forums, again by Julio Torres/LA and not SOE.

The only reason SOE had anything to do with it, was because they were the ones hosting it. LA called the shots, as stated by Smedley himself

Well there's your problem.  You listened to Smedley!  He's just like a politician, when he rolls over at night and tells his significant other that he loves them, he's lying!  

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Torres was the Lucas Arts Producer, its custom that the producer presents updates to their games.

So, accordingly to YOU, Smedley said they only hosted the game? Who did the design and development then? Who did the internal secret game testing? It was all done by SOE and it’s very well described by the late SOE developer Jeff Freeman at this very site, search for posts by Dundee.