Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Farewell from J Todd Coleman

KingsIsleKingsIsle Community Manager of KingsIsleMember Posts: 158
J. Todd Coleman has been with KingsIsle since the founding of the company in 2005. As the Co-creator of Wizard101 and Pirate101, he has made enormous contributions to the success of both games. Todd is an amazing creative director -- he is also a passionate entrepreneur. Driven by this entrepreneurial spirit, Todd has made the difficult decision to leave KingsIsle. 

As an organization, we wish Todd the best in all of his future projects.

While Todd’s presence in the organization will certainly be missed, Josef Hall, also co-creator of both games, will remain at KingsIsle and take on additional responsibilities. As for KingsIsle, we have a clear roadmap of exciting world and system updates for Wizard101 and Pirate101 over the next several years. Additionally, we have multiple unannounced projects underway that we believe will further establish KingsIsle as a leader in the online family entertainment space. 

Please take a moment to read Todd’s farewell:

Goodbye, thank you, and a new beginning.

This update is going to be one of the hardest that I have written, so please hang with me as I try and get through it.

I have decided to leave KingsIsle and pursue my own course. This might sound crazy – and, full disclosure, it probably is – but it is something that I have to do. 

What a fantastic experience this has been! As the creative lead of our games, and the first employee hired in Austin, I was in the unique position to watch this team blossom, and watch our games grow from niche titles to mainstream popularity. Wow! A handful of dreamers got together and turned an unknown start-up into the market leader for family online entertainment… That’s not something you see every day. I am blessed to have been able to play a role, and I know that I am leaving the company in capable hands. I have no doubt that the Spiral will continue to expand for many years.

What is next for me? I’m a storyteller, so I will keep doing what I do best – dream up ideas, breathe life into characters, build worlds for you to explore… only next time, I want to do it for myself. I’m an entrepreneur at heart. A new company, a new game, a new story… I’m not ready to say, but when I’ve got something to show, you guys will be the first to know. 

I want to thank you for becoming a part of this community. Your patronage has allowed me to work with my best friends, and to entertain you, for almost a decade. You gave me a chance to build something, something unique and wonderful. These are more than games to me. I see these worlds when I sleep. I greet these characters like old friends. 

These are the dreams that filled my childhood. I cannot tell you how fortunate I am, to have been given the chance to share them with you. 

Thank you.

J. Todd Coleman
“Headmaster Ambrose”

Comments

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

My Wife and Daughters have loved Wizard 101 since almost it's beginning, they wish me to convey the following to Mr. Coleman...

Thank You kindly for sharing your dreams with us.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

the 101 games might be a little too kiddish for my tastes but i'm not gonna deny that they are brilliant.

if this guy was a driving force in the 101 games' development, and now he is going to make a game catered to an older crowd (not that he said he is going to, but i am just imagining), then i cannot wait to see what he's going to come up with.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins