Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Challenge: How hard would it be to turn any modern day AAA themepark MMO into a Sandpark MMO?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Challenge for the community's imagination:

What minimum steps would you take to convert any modern day AAA themepark MMO into a Sandpark MMO?

For list of some AAA themepark MMO consider the following:

WoW

Rift

War

AoC

GW2

TSW

EQ2

Aion

SWTOR

Tera

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    U cannot turn a themepark into a sandbox, because the definition itsef resides on the server structure and net code designed before the game was deloped.

Sandbox games have open worlds, themepark usually have zones.. but you get the idea.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Well I thought I was clear on Sandpark not Sandbox. Whatever that means to you.

• bishbosh2bishbosh2 Member Posts: 66

honestly it is really easy to get a hybrid sort of thing going.

1. instead of armor, weapon etc drops, mats are dropped to create items

2. add item decay for armor, weapons etc

3. move raid bosses/mobs into open world.

4. ????????????????

5. proft

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    What a waste of time and effort.  It cannot happen, stop it.  
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Very
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by ScaryMonk
    What a waste of time and effort.  It cannot happen, stop it.  

you always say that about everything.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Very hard.  

The amount of tweaking across all levels will be huge along with majority of the content.  If its just a sandpark area expansion thoguh then...itll probably be 2 expansions worth of work. 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    My brain over loads just thinking about this.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Impossible. Sandbox is a superset of ThemePark. Meaning you can have a ThemePark in a sandbox by just adding level bracketed zones, quest hubs and single player story lines.

However to turn a ThemePark into a sandbox you would have to redesign the game completely. ThemePark MMOs are designed in a very ordered fashion so you would have to break up that order and redesign the world. Just not feasible.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Phelcher:
    Eve has zones and is a sandbox
    EQ is an open world and is a themepark
    Wow has mostly open world and is a themepark.

Anyway depends on the game how easy to change to "sandpark"

An example would be the proposed 4th continent (by Sony) for ps2. Which they talked about player outfits building their own bases by gathering resources, I think that would move ps2 into being a sandpark.

Something user themeparky like swtor though, I guess it would be impossible.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Since the OP specified sandpark not sandbox...

Nerf boss drop gear.

Eliminate quest reward gear.

Buff crafted gear.

Add item decay.

Nerf level based stat progression.

Buff skill progression.

Nerf fast travel.

Nerf automatic grouping tools.

Buff guild system.

Nerf auction house so it will not sell items over "common" quality and AH fees are very expensive.

Add a marketplace location to the world.

Add player run shops / stands

I think that would get you close enough that the themeparkers would start complaining.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by bishbosh2

3. move raid bosses/mobs into open world.

Or at least add bosses to open world.  The more freedom of choice the better.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I believe it would actually be possible to transform those themeparks into hybrids - it wouldn't even be too costly cause you can keep a lot of stuff: world, characters, animations, graphics, art, etc. can all stay as they are.

The question, however, is why a studio/publisher would want to do that. They risk losing their existing players that prefer themeparks (arguably a large majority) and also risk that the sandbox crowd won't come cause for them there's not enough sandbox in this hybrid approach.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Its easier to create a whole new game than to do a conversion.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.