Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an MMO that made you exceed average results on an IQ test to participate?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by greenreen

I wanted to see the most likely countries to be able to play the game. This looks nicely colored but I think the information they got was more based on research about country wealth comparitive to IQ.

http://www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=2812

I'm unsure many companies would exclude countries for the reason "you people aren't smart enough".  The PR nightmare that followed could crush a company doing that.

And why would a company turn away money from anyone? Their CEO would have pretty low IQ to do that.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    I would rather play with an entire server of friendly stupid people over even 1 smart asshole any day of the week. 
  • Schoeneck93Schoeneck93 Member Posts: 70

The reason I say no is because I don't want to be stuck around a large number of people with extremely large egos. 

It may provide for a better gaming environment, intelligent conversations and the likes, but it could also provide for a snobby self-centered crowd. 

And like you said,  IQ is no true indicator of intelligence. I may give it a shot, to see what the crowd is like, but truly whether or not I give it a shot depends on the quality of the game. 

EDIT:

Not only that, but it's not hard for someone to open up a Google tab next to their IQ test. Just sayin'. 

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    I would rather play with an entire server of friendly stupid people over even 1 smart asshole any day of the week. 

I would rather play with an entire server of friendly smart people.  ;)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i dont think IQ tests are that effective to be a requirement for everthing (some things are OK with it, not all), much less for gaming.

I remember my last year of highschool back in 2003 we had an IQ test before a final National Completion Exam. Everyone passed the IQ and half of them didnt pass the NCE...

I think IQ is not required for things like gaming (unless you are preparing for a chess tournament or something like that). If a video game is complex enough to require thinking, thats why you add tutorials in the beginning of the game.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I am a little shocked that currently 60 % think this is a great idea. Most important for a good and fun MMO are beside the MMO itself the social skills of the players. And social skills have nothing to do with an IQ.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I would probably try it at least, but honestly I don't think an IQ test would make a difference. The problem is personalities, not brains. Just because someone is trolling doesn't necessarily mean they are stupid, it just means they have a really poor personality. 

If it would be to rid people who gank mindlessly as well, they aren't necessarily stupid either, they probably have poor lives in real life or have some sort of need for a god complex.

It wouldn't change the genre, it would just limit the community more, with the same issues arising.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    sure, as long as it's the real deal and not some fraud "thinking man's game" full of teenagers pretending to be 40 like TSW.

maybe im wrong but IQ doesnt determine ones age or maturity. That reminds me other poster that wrongly assumed taht all F2P players were kids.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Funny idea. It would just mean that the puzzles and other mentally challenging things would be solved quicker than without the IQ test. I personally wouldn't play the game, it'd probably be full of a bunch of elitists.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Would be a bad idea for American market.

Bazinga! -I'm only half kidding. image

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

I used to think like this when I was younger with a superiority complex. Children should be raised by the state, streamed into castes depending an intelligence and aptitude, and all would believe that their caste is the best and be proud to be part of it.

You'll find as you get older that you get over yourself and realize that you're just another peon. That the world is going to shit and that stupid people breed more than intelligent people.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

It's been shown that nearly everyone consideres themselves to have a "higher than average" IQ (although most will also claim to not be geniuses or anything because, you know, they're being realistic).

But yeah, if we're talking actual IQ scores then I'd go for it out of sheer curiosity.  More the only thing most people probably "know" about their IQ is from some online test that wasn't timed and inflates to scores anyway.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

It's been shown that nearly everyone consideres themselves to have a "higher than average" IQ (although most will also claim to not be geniuses or anything because, you know, they're being realistic).

But yeah, if we're talking actual IQ scores then I'd go for it out of sheer curiosity.  More the only thing most people probably "know" about their IQ is from some online test that wasn't timed and inflates to scores anyway.

You mean the one that said I was an incredible genius and automatically signed me up for all sorts of extra special offers and coupons to come to my email wasn't a real IQ test?

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

The grammar used in the thread title is kind of amusing, given the topic at hand.

That said, here you go, sir:

Hardest Riddle on the Internet!!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Would be a bad idea for American market.

Bazinga! -I'm only half kidding. image

I sure hope so.

http://statisticbrain.com/countries-with-the-highest-lowest-average-iq/

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    funny how the majority actually thinks they would be able to play it. For me, I'd say no. IQ is flawed and by no means a measurement of how people behave online. The most intelligent people can be the most ruthless psychopaths hehe
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Personally, if the game is good, I'd play it... if it's not, I wouldn't, having an IQ test to participate wouldn't even factor in that.

Not that I think the IQ test would be any good, anyway. IQ tests measure a partiular kind of mental ability, to be honest that is completely irrelevant to personality and how you play and behave around others, which is what would be important to the quality of a game community... plus, I'd bet that within a couple of weeks (to give it too much time), there would be lots of websites with all the possible questions and all the "right" answers to them.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

we are talking about eve here right? dont take this the wrong way but i hate that game, i know its a great game and i have NO complaint aginst it because it really is well made, but i hate it thats just my personel opion nothing more

i like a game that makes me think and a game that rewards people who do but at the same time i want to have fun, there is a limit to how complicated a game should be even for non casual gamers.

by makeing it extreamly hard and need a higher level of thinking you label the players right off the bat as elitest which is always bad

so in the end to answer would i play a game that required a IG test, sure if i passed it and liked the game, the IQ test itself would not be a selling point though it would be a detriment overall.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I would love to give it my best shot.

I would probably fall flat on my subhuman face, but I would show perserverance and tenacity while getting my tiny brain turned to goo.

and It would probably be very enjoyable while I lasted as well :)

(hint: MMOs are supposed to be challenges that not all Players succeed at... some are supposed to fail by design if it is a good MMO. Hard but true, and when a MMO is designed hardcore, it's more fun than can be described with words. "Addicting" comes to mind though...)

Here's some food for thought:

Minecraft can be a very simple, basic, fun game.

The more imagination, time, and thought applied, the more amazing outcomes.

People are rewarded when they see what they have built with a sense of accomplishment, regardless of IQ or what others think.

Some of the most amazing things get thousands if not millions of views on youtube.

It's a game that doesn't alienate people based on IQ, has rewarding gameplay to millions, is not pay to win, and players achieve something of status when their constructions are shown to the world.  Not to mention it being adopted by a few countries into their education programs.

So perhaps the best games aren't the ones that cast out the less intelligent, but the ones that reward people for what they do on any level, and allow players recognition from their peers for their imagination, creativity, planning and thought.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Here's some food for thought:

Minecraft can be a very simple, basic, fun game.

The more imagination, time, and thought applied, the more amazing outcomes.

People are rewarded when they see what they have built with a sense of accomplishment, regardless of IQ or what others think.

Some of the most amazing things get thousands if not millions of views on youtube.

It's a game that doesn't alienate people based on IQ, has rewarding gameplay to millions, is not pay to win, and players achieve something of status when their constructions are shown to the world.  Not to mention it being adopted by a few countries into their education programs.

So perhaps the best games aren't the ones that cast out the less intelligent, but the ones that reward people for what they do on any level, and allow players recognition from their peers for their imagination, creativity, planning and thought.

I give you credit for your idea for a game, it would be a refreshing change in gameplay as compared to the usual competitive nature of MMOs. You have a good point there, assuming Minecraft is a MMO, which is what this thread was asking...." would we play a MMO.."

I personally don't consider Minecraft a MMO, at least not a conventional one. Maybe it is (I don't have a good opinion of Minecraft btw).

Also... why would you want the whole world seeing what you do in a MMO? I play MMOs but I don't want  the whole world to see what I do, other MMO Players sure, but not the whole world, they wouldn't understand...it's none of their business to be honest. I would never put gameplay footage on Youtube.

I don't understand you young people.... a strange Generation you are.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    They probably wouldn't let me play then, so the choice wouldn't be mine. I know I'm not that smart because I can't even figure out how to play EVE or Age of Wushu.

That in no way means you aren't "smart". You may not comprehend those particular games well, but I am sure there is something else you excel at.