Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting mechanics in most MMOs are horrible

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Here is crafting in an MMO...okay so I haven't played them all, so maybe something is similar to the best (UO).

*click button*

*waits for all 20 copper ore to turn into ingots*

*click button*

*click button*

*click button*

"Item!"

Vanguard has horrible crafting. It is more just frustrating, than complicated. It randomly gives you complications, that you have barely any control over.

SWG was good in the item variety...so that made it a lot better. I didn't particularly like the actual mechanics, but it was VERY useful to have a crafter. Every item pretty much was crafted. Harvesting was far more interesting though in mechanics, if I recall correctly. V

Actually, the only MMO that actually had good crafting and still does, is Ultima Online. And SWG was really good too.

Why is UO more interesting? Sure you click click click, but it is FAR more interactive than any other MMO. Click hammer, click ore...make sure near a smelter...click smelter...make ore into ingot. And that doesn't include making armor/weapon.  Okay maybe not EXACT, might have more steps or done a bit differently...its been a long time...but you get the idea. Sure its the same clicking, but it is actually far more realistic than every single other MMO. It FEELS like REAL crafting, not some automated system.

Maybe thats why every MMO have such horrid crafting...its all automated for you...or in some horrible cases, you click a button and you let the computer craft 20 of said item and you fall asleep on the keyboard while it makes items.

Too bad no other MMO has ever done UO's crafting. Its far more interesting than anything else I've PERSONALLY seen. But I'm sure there must be other MMOs that have done a proper crafting system...but I haven't played any outside of UO.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Re-worded thread title to fit the actual post more...for any that saw this thread before the name change.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    The only game that ever had crafting that didn't make my eyes bleed was Everquest 2. Crafting had skills that you have to engage when certain 'situations' occurred during the building process. It could have been more involved and challenging, but it beat the hell out of selecting items, pressing GO and seeing it fail for no other reason than a math algorithm that i cannot control.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Originally posted by spankybus
    The only game that ever had crafting that didn't make my eyes bleed was Everquest 2. Crafting had skills that you have to engage when certain 'situations' occurred during the building process. It could have been more involved and challenging, but it beat the hell out of selecting items, pressing GO and seeing it fail for no other reason than a math algorithm that i cannot control.

ah, yes EQ2. Somehow forgot this one. It actually is much more interactive than most. Loved the crafting most out of the themepark MMOs, since it was so involved. 

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

One of my least favorite games to craft in. EQ2 took crafting to a more boring time consuming degree then I ever cared for.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    I like the crafting in Mortal Online, in that it takes actual player knowledge, instead of just being given simple recipes.  Players can have actual trade secrets, which I think it great.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I agree. That's why I'd like it to be as less involved as possible. One click and wait. Eve and Fallen Earth had the right idea. You can do something else while "crafting".

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    If you want more interactive crafting, then try A Tale in the Desert and Puzzle Pirates.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Crafting in MMO's only seems bad because the vast majority of items created are useless.  If crafting had more impact on the game, it would be more tolerable in most cases.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    The only game that ever had crafting that didn't make my eyes bleed was Everquest 2.

EQ2 has the worst crafting that I have ever tried. I hate any game mechanic that forces me to spam buttons to craft something. I applaud them for trying something different, but it just insn't for me.

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Crafting in MMO's only seems bad because the vast majority of items created are useless.  If crafting had more impact on the game, it would be more tolerable in most cases.

Very true. Crafting isn't worth doing these days.

Originally posted by Roxtarr

yeah this too, makes crafting bad. Was very bad in WoW, when really there wasn't any items you could craft of use...probably why I always chose alchemy/engineering/enchanting. But, every item I could craft as a blacksmith, I could just buy off the auction house from someones dungeon drop...and it would be WAY better.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    The only game that ever had crafting that didn't make my eyes bleed was Everquest 2.

EQ2 has the worst crafting that I have ever tried. I hate any game mechanic that forces me to spam buttons to craft something. I applaud them for trying something different, but it just insn't for me.

And this illustrates why most MMORPGs have horrible crafting:  because a large fraction of their playerbase doesn't like crafting.  If the best gear comes from an activity that your players hate, they complain.  See raiding.

Originally posted by Quizzical

And this illustrates why most MMORPGs have horrible crafting:  because a large fraction of their playerbase doesn't like crafting.  If the best gear comes from an activity that your players hate, they complain.  See raiding.

I love crafting. I just don't like bad crafting systems. I started with SWG crafting, so every other system is boring to me now.

Assumption is strong in you...

I love crafting. I just don't like bad crafting systems. I started with SWG crafting, so every other system is boring to me now.

SWG was awesome in that, no two items were the same. And if you were a really good crafter (specialized even better), people came to you...from any amount of distance in the game world...just to buy your goods.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Can somebody in future references, explain how these wonderful crafting systems in these games you speak of worked as when it was great.

This way some of the readers can get a understanding of your enjoyment of it and what you want from the future MMO titles in terms of crafting. also a video would be nice as well.

Because I been curious about how a crafting focused endgame progression system would work on a long term interest level.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by TheScavenger

SWG was awesome in that, no two items were the same. And if you were a really good crafter (specialized even better), people came to you...from any amount of distance in the game world...just to buy your goods.

Yep. After all these years, I still remember the guys that sold the best armor, weapons, ship parts, etc...

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

let's see... some reasons have already been said... in general they are and this list is not an exhaustive list....

...most crafted items in MMOs do not equal drop loot or raid loot.... because crafted can never be better than raid loot... it's written somewhere I swear it is...

...MMOs once long ago were Developed by Players that were also Devs, and they wanted a functional and FUN crafting system, which may be why UOs crafting doesn't seem as brain dead as recent MMO crafting systems....

...modern Devs and their Bosses don't want you crafting anything, they want to say they have crafting in their MMO and then make your eyes bleed with it so you will go to their cash shop and buy with a CC what you would have crafted....

....Most Devs of MMOs now generally speaking are NOT MMO Devs, they are Console Game Devs, or CellPhone/Android Devs out of work, etc.....

So we have crafted items that are basically vendor trash, designed by Devs who first love was not MMOs, but are working as MMO Devs at the moment until something better comes along..., whose bosses are just Accountants who pretend to play and like MMOs at E3 when all they really like is money, and in the mean time the Devs are hoping to get back working on Andriod Apps again.

That about covers it.

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Can somebody in future references, explain how these wonderful crafting systems in these games you speak of worked as when it was great.

This way some of the readers can get a understanding of your enjoyment of it and what you want from the future MMO titles in terms of crafting. also a video would be nice as well.

Because I been curious about how a crafting focused endgame progression system would work on a long term interest level.

Quoting. I'll respond in a more detailed post if someone doesn't...someone want to take a try at this? :) I would, but leaving in a few minutes.

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I will give you an example of the process of making a set of RIS armor:

1. Master your Armorsmithing

2. Do a quest to be able to learn RIS armor crafting (Awesome quest BTW)

3. Go out and kill Kimogila for their scales(Not a guaranteed drop/you'll need a group)

4. Kill gurk kings for their hides( Not a guaranteed drop)

5. Gather the best resources needed to craft(gather samples/place harvesters)

6. Go get a crafting buff to craft better armor

7. Find the best crafting station available

8. Use factories if you want to speed up the process

9. Craft the armor

I hope I didn't forget anything, it's been a while

EDIT: I forgot that you need the woolamander harrower bone and peko peko albatross feather. Peko peko was a random boss that was very tough to kill

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Crafting will never be "fixed" in MMO's until players and devs understand that not everyone should be a crafter.  It should be a long and difficult process to master.

When everyone and their mother has every craft leveled on multiple alts and everyone is self sufficient, then crafting becomes meaningless.

Originally posted by Alders

Crafting will never be "fixed" in MMO's until players and devs understand that not everyone should be a crafter.  It should be a long and difficult process to master.

When everyone and their mother has every craft leveled on multiple alts and everyone is self sufficient, then crafting becomes meaningless.

Agreed. And, I wish MMO's would make crafters a seperate class.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

That wont work. People will just make alts for crafting .. and complains it takes too much time.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

One MMO did make them seperate classes. Best damn crafting system imo ever.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

That wont work. People will just make alts for crafting .. and complains it takes too much time.

That's what I liked about SWG. When you got bored with combat, you logged in your crafter to get a whole different game play style.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I still think a pop up cooking mama style mini game could work and be a lot of fun, assuming anyone felt like doing such a thing. Which they won't i'm sure.

A few games have done a good job in at least offering decent customizability, but yes, I think the actual process of crafting is really bad for the most part.