Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: The most influential mmorpg of 2012

Comments

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by eyelolled

People don't write and talk about meaningless things of little importance. 

Ever read 'Heat' magazine?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by bcbully
    No GAME demands hours and hours of play. Some games allow you to put hours and hours of play into them and be rewarded for doing so.

Some game demands hours and hours of play to beat RNG systems to allow you to access content (or make that content impossible without what is gainned by beating the RNG items).

Some games also demand hours and hours to be able to form contacts with others so you can access content.

There is a reason behind the "MMORPG has life sucking" image.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    No GAME demands hours and hours of play. Some games allow you to put hours and hours of play into them and be rewarded for doing so.

Some game demands hours and hours of play to beat RNG systems to allow you to access content (or make that content impossible without what is gainned by beating the RNG items).

Some games also demand hours and hours to be able to form contacts with others so you can access content.

since when do you have to do everything no matter how much you play, or how good you are? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

since when do you have to do everything no matter how much you play, or how good you are? 

Why shouldn't I be able to do everything if I'm good enough?

Shouldn't that be measure to beat things or other people, how good you are?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

Its not so much all classes are DPS but more that all classes are responsible for themselves and player cohesion and teamwork is more prevelant in GW2 because one mistake si costly.  Nothing is more evident then running level 20+ Fractals.  The beauty is in the teamwork and organization and you'll never see that in a PUG setting so of couse you wouldn't understand.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Its not so much all classes are DPS but more that all classes are responsible for themselves and player cohesion and teamwork is more prevelant in GW2 because one mistake si costly.  Nothing is more evident then running level 20+ Fractals.  The beauty is in the teamwork and organization and you'll never see that in a PUG setting so of couse you wouldn't understand.

Youll never see that in trinity because trinity doesnt require it. Thats pretty much why it baffles them so much.

Funny thing is...nobody of these people posted video of them casually beating 50+ fractal or beating a tourney. Wonder why lol

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Not so fast GW2 fan! If in the near future we see other MMOs adopting things like no trinity, the downed mechanic in PvE and PvP, hearts and dynamic events, overflow servers etc then we might say it's influential. Until then, patience.

I can't see any other game, from last year, that other companies will be influenced by. I am happy that there is no trinity as I am bored to death with that simplified game mechanic. It was used a crutch for too long.

How on earth is all-dps more complex than the trinity? 

You mean I can't set my defense rating to max so that I'm uncrittable and unkillable?  Or I can't stand there firing arrows for 20 minutes without a worry in the world except standing in the fire because there's a super healer paying attention to some bars? 

Wow.  Well like I said, I'm a fan of the trinity, sure, but I'm glad we're getting a break from it.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Esports is impossible in a mmo

GW1 was closest and GW2 has a chance to repeeat it.

IMO they didnt release it yet in Asia because they want all sPvP/tPvP features in and plan to bank much more on esport in East, while in West it isnt of that much importance.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by mikahr

IMO they didnt release it yet in Asia because they want all sPvP/tPvP features in and plan to bank much more on esport in East, while in West it isnt of that much importance.

I can see that being the case.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

As a korean (born and lived for 20 years) the notion that a game company would want to delay a game until they can put 'esports' into it, is hilarious. I am all for it though since that'll finally mean GW2 won't have this '$$ for advantage' rubbish.

Pretty sure we won't know how big the 'GW2' influence is in the gaming world until a few games come out years later.

WoW -> LoTRO / DDO are the 2 biggest influence yet.

Right now I'd say it showed that a B2P model can be used.

Not going to say it is a 'viable' one till we have some official 'we made X amount of money' Yes, they probably did since they sold 3M+ but I like facts / official stats to back my statements up. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

There have been a few MMOs based on the entire premise of esports.  I don't recall any of them doing particularly well, but I do remember several times reading reports about massive cash prize tournaments in these MMOs, sometimes even in beta.

So maybe those games, influenced guild wars?  ;)

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

I wonder if Eyelolled will finally give up when in maybe half a years time the GW2 expansion sells like 400-500k copies, retains very few and pretty much flops.

This guy makes so many sensationalist brainwashing threads it's like he's trying to convince himself GW2 will be a great success because he's seeing it and not believing it.

Funny thing is Pivotelite I see you in the very same light.... for every positive post Eyelooled makes you make 5 negative posts trying to convince yourself of what a failure GW2 has become, at least Eyelolled enjoys what he post about your cynicism really doesn't seem to be of a benefit to anyone ...Life is too short to be so bitter , move on breath the fresh air.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

There have been a few MMOs based on the entire premise of esports.  I don't recall any of them doing particularly well, but I do remember several times reading reports about massive cash prize tournaments in these MMOs, sometimes even in beta.

DAOC and Lineage 2 had very much in common with E-sports in the sense that they had a strong PvP focus. E-sport is about PvP at its heart. 

What MMORPGs can offer than most E-sports can't is PvP on a massive scale of simultaneous participants.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

DAOC and Lineage 2 had very much in common with E-sports in the sense that they had a strong PvP focus. E-sport is about PvP at its heart. 

What MMORPGs can offer than most E-sports can't is PvP on a massive scale of simultaneous participants.

Right, so like other MMORPGs before GW2 offered pvp on massive scale.  Guild Wars 2 kinda does this, so long as the Arenanet server decided to tell you there are other players and not allow them to chop your character to death while completely invisible.

Edit: One could go so far as to say Guild Wars wasn't even very influential even to its sequel, since the pvp was a major step backwards, especially considering esports

Originally posted by Bad.dog

I wonder if Eyelolled will finally give up when in maybe half a years time the GW2 expansion sells like 400-500k copies, retains very few and pretty much flops.

This guy makes so many sensationalist brainwashing threads it's like he's trying to convince himself GW2 will be a great success because he's seeing it and not believing it.

Funny thing is Pivotelite I see you in the very same light.... for every positive post Eyelooled makes you make 5 negative posts trying to convince yourself of what a failure GW2 has become, at least Eyelolled enjoys what he post about your cynicism really doesn't seem to be of a benefit to anyone ...Life is too short to be so bitter , move on breath the fresh air.

Thanks for that. I've tried to say something similar but usually manage to fail in doing so in a polite manner.  

Some people would benefit from actually reading past the second paragraph in one of my threads, but I have yet to find a troll that makes it that far through.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Thanks for that. I've tried to say something similar but usually manage to fail in doing so in a polite manner.  

Some people would benefit from actually reading past the second paragraph in one of my threads, but I have yet to find a troll that makes it that far through.

Just read your second paragraph in this thread.

I agree you talk about it an extreme amount in order to validate your own claim that it is the most talked about ;)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Right, so like other MMORPGs before GW2 offered pvp on massive scale.  Guild Wars 2 kinda does this, so long as the Arenanet server decided to tell you there are other players and not allow them to chop your character to death while completely invisible.

Edit: One could go so far as to say Guild Wars wasn't even very influential even to its sequel, since the pvp was a major step backwards, especially considering esports

I believe that Arenanet did many things right with their World vs World, but also several mistakes. We'll have to get official polls about things such as activity and server pride before we know how well Worlds vs World is really working out. 

I agree you talk about it an extreme amount in order to validate your own claim that it is the most talked about ;)

LOL, you really like testing me!  :P

I said "read PAST the second paragraph"

Ah, past it is a mod edit?

• EriccomptonEriccompton Member UncommonPosts: 51

I just love how people always complain that "this" game is always "kill this many", "gather this many" same ole same, nothing new, then you play a game like TSW and people complain about "have to think too much" , "not enough killing this many", not enough gathering this many" lmfao.

I guess some people would complain about not having anything to complain about, "OMG this game is perfect!!! but..."

what? you need your mmo spoon fed to you? "killing this many" has been around since Space Invaders, if you don't want to kill something why are you playing video games?

Ah, past it is a mod edit?

yes! And that mod edit removed all of the comments about how it's unfortunate it's not a sandbox, because it would be nice if a sandbox could actually gain that sort of acclaim! :P

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    I struggled to see much originality in gw2, theres alot of features they took from other games and flehed out more, an example is dynamic events. They have been done in rift and several other games (someone was telling me past games that had them, I can't remember which ones they are). What they did do really well is make a fully fledged AAA mmo with a btp payment model which is quite revolutionary. ANd there is the lack of trinity which was what ruined the game for me (as it just didnt work). Different skills with different weapons, wvwvw (essentially like many other constant battlegrounds), hearts (basically quests), fully voiced storyline etc. have all been done in other mmos, what they did is ut them together and polished them up. I was very impressed with how polished and tidy the game was with a really nice graphics engine, however do not believe for one second that gw2 is an influential game, it is a well polished game aimed at casual players which is very good at being exactly that. Nothing more.

yes! And that mod edit removed all of the comments about how it's unfortunate it's not a sandbox, because it would be nice if a sandbox could actually gain that sort of acclaim! :P

Sandbox Acclaim

If you'd like me to start linking news articles from international sources including BBC about it as well, I'd be happy to do so.  They mostly talk about character interaction, rather than "just pay the box fee" though, so not sure if that's what you want to hear.

Originally posted by ereyethirn
    I struggled to see much originality in gw2, theres alot of features they took from other games and flehed out more, an example is dynamic events. They have been done in rift and several other games (someone was telling me past games that had them, I can't remember which ones they are). What they did do really well is make a fully fledged AAA mmo with a btp payment model which is quite revolutionary. ANd there is the lack of trinity which was what ruined the game for me (as it just didnt work). Different skills with different weapons, wvwvw (essentially like many other constant battlegrounds), hearts (basically quests), fully voiced storyline etc. have all been done in other mmos, what they did is ut them together and polished them up. I was very impressed with how polished and tidy the game was with a really nice graphics engine, however do not believe for one second that gw2 is an influential game, it is a well polished game aimed at casual players which is very good at being exactly that. Nothing more.

Yeah, you have a good point.  Perhaps it was a typo and it should have been "GW2: The most influenced mmorpg of 2012"

Edit: I had a typo in the word typo

Further edit:  You know, this is familiar actually to discussions on this forum before.

Remember when WoW was talked about all the time for having taking the best features of previous MMOs and lumping them together with an established IP?

tons of previous MMO ideas lumped together + established IP of Warcraft = World of Warcraft.

tons of previous MMO ideas lumped together + established IP of Guild Wars = Guild Wars 2.

GW2 is just a clone of the WoW development formula I guess.

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by ereyethirn

Yeah, you have a good point.  Perhaps it was a typo and it should have been "GW2: The most influenced mmorpg of 2012"

Edit: I had a typo in the word typo

Further edit:  You know, this is familiar actually to discussions on this forum before.

Remember when WoW was talked about all the time for having taking the best features of previous MMOs and lumping them together with an established IP?

tons of previous MMO ideas lumped together + established IP of Warcraft = World of Warcraft.

tons of previous MMO ideas lumped together + established IP of Guild Wars = Guild Wars 2.

GW2 is just a clone of the WoW development formula I guess.

Except the difference here is guild wars 2 doesnt have 10million active players. I don't wanna say too much bad about guild wars 2 because as I said above, it did a good job at delivering a polished experience for casual players, however it isn't nearly as popular as wow so its not gonna have company after company copying them like wow does, and there is very little chance that anyone is actually going to copy many of their features as its just not successful enough to be a good game to base yourselves around.