Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] DUST 514: Dust and EVE Sitting in a Tree

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that the DUST 514 PS3 open beta is in full swing, we thought we'd corral Brandon Laurino, Executive Producer at CCP for Dust 514 to talk more about how EVE and DUST are functioning together. Check out our exclusive interview and then talk about it in the comments.

MMORPG.com: Will Dust players be able to join corporations from the get-go? 

Brandon Laurino: This is currently live. Corporations between EVE Online and DUST 514 are completely the same, down to running off literally the same backend system. DUST 514 players can join EVE Online corporations that have been around 10 years, or can make their own Corporations and recruit EVE Online players into it, or keep it a Corp of exclusively DUST 514 mercenaries. The choice is yours. 

Read more of Adam Tingle's DUST 514: Dust and EVE Sitting in a Tree.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    This has inspired me.
  • uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    CCP has to be he coolest kids not snaped up ever. Wish Bioware never go bought.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Dust and EVE arent even in the same forest together

Joined - July 2004

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by uller30

If EvE and Dust were on the same platform for end-users then you could well write they are the coolist kids ever. As it is it looks crazy not to have a PC client for the Dust game.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by Illyssia

If EvE and Dust were on the same platform for end-users then you could well write they are the coolist kids ever. As it is it looks crazy not to have a PC client for the Dust game.

That's exactly what I was thinking about Dust.  It makes no logical sense to release a tie-in to a game with a  PC following without a PC client.

• ejendalsejendals Member Posts: 33
    Yes it makes. Since DUST is a cosole mmo shooter, there will never be aimbot problems for players and for devs to solve them. The fact that DUST514 is a PS3 exclusive is a very good fact.. While you complain about ''why no pc'' I am enjoying a very solid and good game..
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I enjoy playing DUST - the CCP devs have come up trumps again!

I enjoy the current PvP battles. It's good to know this is just a beginning - it will be amazing once everything comes together.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    yeah I assisted some Dust Bunnies today while running through Purjola, 120 in local chat, ended up doing a few requests, pretty boring for us flyers at the moment we just get some numbers for our work............That said watching where this goes

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Lokero
    Originally posted by Illyssia

That's exactly what I was thinking about Dust.  It makes no logical sense to release a tie-in to a game with a  PC following without a PC client.

The logic is simple, They want EvE players in space making EvE EvE, they want a section of the console FPS market playing Dust, they want the worlds linked so when the console players decide they want to play an MMO, they choose EvE.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616
    Hey, next time you guys visit CCP, can you ask them what's going on with the whole World of Darkness thing? Cheers!
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    I still don't see them as connected in any way more than a gimmick with the orbital bombardment and these territory things (which I admittedly never got into pvp so maybe that's why it means nothing to me).
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    If only they had chosen the Xbox 360 instead of the PS3 so I could give it a try.  I can't see buying a new system just before it becomes last-gen harware for a single game.  Hell, if they did PS3 AND Xbox that would have been the best way to go.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• klownnectionklownnection Member Posts: 1
    CCP find a way to enhanced the gameplay of his boring game , turning eve player as npc for dust , and everyone applaud !
  • RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Raventree
    If only they had chosen the Xbox 360 instead of the PS3 so I could give it a try.  I can't see buying a new system just before it becomes last-gen harware for a single game.  Hell, if they did PS3 AND Xbox that would have been the best way to go.

PS3 is free to play online game

XBox you gotta pay

XBox you got MS dictating policies

PS is a better world frmo a developer aspect.

• kingricakingrica Member Posts: 1

This just bullshit.

Only Connection between Eve - Dust is one large excel table...meh.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by kingrica

This just bullshit.

Well you could argue that the whole of EVE is just one large spreadsheet with a pretty graphical interface.

• mactographymactography Member Posts: 16
    Its not on PC because its crap and PC users would spot that a mile off.PS3 users will happliy play crap . And really a fps on a console? Fail. Dont believe me? just wait till you try it out
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by kingrica

This just bullshit.

Well you could argue that the whole of EVE is just one large spreadsheet with a pretty graphical interface.

which makes all games just a pretty UI sitting on a database really..  people who think Eve is all about spreadsheets, just don't know Eve.. or they are annoyed because its too complicated for them image

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Nothing wrong with FPS games on console. I haven't played much DUST514, but it seemed ok. It wasn't the gunplay of the COD series but good enough. And you have  vehicles too.
  • Ninu_ZahraNinu_Zahra Member UncommonPosts: 15

Game is fun and I see a good potential for the future of EVE.

just my opinion.

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    PS3 to PC cross-cross-platformer! Mind still blown! Why?! I dont get it. Hope it turns out ok for them.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    a few months and it will be on PC as well and CCP will recognize this was as smart as the first atempt of the AUR shop in eve & WIS without any purpose...just my bet :P
  • morningstar991morningstar991 Member Posts: 2
    I like the idea...  Just not sure where they intend to go with this..  I am a new Eve player, about a month.  I enjoy the game, its less demanding for me.  Has been a great change of pace.  But I am new to the game so we will see.

Current: Lotro (f2p); eve (sub)
    Played: UO; Doac; WOW; SWG (pre CU) Lotro; Eve
    Tried: GW1; FF?; war...Ect.
    Future: ESO

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

I'm still shocked that they chose to make it PS3 exclusive to begin with :(

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Tying a PC game with a console game makes no sense to me.  Don't own a PS3 at present and have no intention of ever getting one again.  Dust effects my PC gaming not one bit.  So the tie in is so tenuous as to be nonexistent.

I am not sure what the intention of CCP is, since DUST is f2p unless they think there is a lot of money to be made in item shop sales, I don't see the playerbase of Eve getting that excited about it or participating much. A PC client would probably change that opinion.