Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So all the hype over sexism in gaming, what about racism?

2»

Comments

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    the internet is a haven for hate groups... i thought that was obvious a long time ago.
  • ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122
    Exactly OP. What about it? its everywhere, in real world and it effects the imaginary worlds aswell that we create.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Two wrongs don't make a right, but it damn sure works. 

As a black gamer myself, I first ran into this in C.O.D.. It was amazing the amount of times you would hear slurs throughout a game play session. The problem was it just didn't seem like there was anything I could say that carried the same weight to the offender. 

A few years later I stater playing SC2 with a friend of a friend, also black. Maaan this dude is one of the funniest people I ever had the pleasure to speak with. What he would do, almost form the momnet we entered a match, he would begin this venomous string of foul racial slurs, "You F$$$ N### should go #$$#@!"

I mean this dude would come up with stuff that would make David Duke proud. The thing is he was saying these things to white people. The shocked responses  they gave were astounding. "I'm not a N!!!" "WTF uou calling me a N for," and so on. I mean they would get soooo pissed. 

So OP if you run into it again, try what my friend does. You'll be surprised. image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Onomas
    Yes in gangster rap, which I don't like.

But not all rap. You don't get chuck D going around calling women bitches and hos.

You could say the sake with Caribbean music, there's some vile homophobia in some dancehall stuff. But that doesn't mean people like bob marley or toots don't have a positive message.
  • xSyngexxSyngex Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Drolkin

I am a white Canadian male and have continously been called a cracker over the years.  I have never ownd a slave and condone it. 

I am tired of it.

This

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Onomas
    Yes in gangster rap, which I don't like.

But not all rap. You don't get chuck D going around calling women bitches and hos.

You could say the sake with Caribbean music, there's some vile homophobia in some dancehall stuff. But that doesn't mean people like bob marley or toots don't have a positive message.

Yes you are correct and some metal music also does this, sorry for the generalization. Wasnt my intention, just as a referrence.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by bcbully

Two wrongs don't make a right, but it damn sure works. 

As a black gamer myself, I first ran into this in C.O.D..

Dude, I feel for you, man. It's almost as if you get points for being insanely racist and offensive there.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Loco:
    Yeah forgot about gw, oops.
  • FatDrunkFatDrunk Member Posts: 4

Racism I am not surprised and it's an unfortunate fact in both society and the nerd-world. Look at the history of the United Statues itself or any other 'western' culture and one bell rings true.

The degration and mistreatment of minorities. Now let's take a look at the game industry itself:

How many minorities are in CEO positions in gaming?

How many minorities are designing the games (Clothing, Style, attributes)

How many minorities are writing the script for said games?

When has a video-game ever starred a minority character without them being the fool(Saints Row 3), a gangster(GTA, Walking Dead), the side-kick, a pimp, or a just pure sex object to shake butt or have sex with(Citra in Far Cry 3)?

When was the last-video-game released that had a minority as the lead character of the story that isn't a criminal?

Literally almost none. This will only began to change if there are more minorities recruited in real-life in IT programs and colleges and in gaming career.  There still exist a superiority complex and it shows a lot in the gaming comunnities themselves. 

I would not be surprise if hate-groups and their sympathisers are in the gaming communities as this is posted to this date. It is not done only to African Americans. It is done to others (asians) as well too the discrimination.

I think it mainly shocked me online, because in real life bar a couple of incidents with some mouth breathing lowlifes and some over enthusiastic policing, and a few suspicious look from old people I've not really had that much to complain about in real life. Your racist dickhead groups over here tend to have it in for Asians first and foremost.
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    i feel your pain. i come into vent and say one thing...all of a sudden obama jokes start happening, and i didn't even vote for the guy.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Does anyone even know where the N word came from and its true meaning? because if you did the N word would not bug you. Uneducated racism is the worst. Ill explain it to you if you need to know, its not as bad as you think. Just makes the enire racism thing look silly.
This discussion has been closed.