Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an MMO that made you exceed average results on an IQ test to participate?

Comments

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Very intelligent people are usually socially awkward and have few friends, so if that's intelligent then lobotomize me.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Because most of the people in the game with me would probably be assholes.

And thats any different than now? image

The difference, I think, lies in the distinction between Officially Sanctioned Assholes and the more amateur/generalist variety we're already used to.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I suppose that depends.

I can understand someone wanting a man with a higher than average IQ to father their children but that is just about genetics. Of course, it discoutns nature/nurture but it is what it is.

The "depends" part come from "why"?

Does the game require fast thinking or some sort of problem solving that might only be achieved by people with high IQ's?

Certainly it's not about them being better people as a girlfriend of mine was in mensa and we went to a mensa gathering and most of the men (at that particular gathering) were either creepy, clueless or just plain sad.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Because most of the people in the game with me would probably be assholes.

And thats any different than now? image

The difference, I think, lies in the distinction between Officially Sanctioned Assholes and the more amateur/generalist variety we're already used to.

Ah i see, thank for clearing that up image

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    I have an AQ of 61, am I would be aloud to play? 
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I suppose that depends.

I can understand someone wanting a man with a higher than average IQ to father their children but that is just about genetics. Of course, it discoutns nature/nurture but it is what it is.

Does the game require fast thinking or some sort of problem solving that might only be achieved by people with high IQ's?

Certainly it's not about them being better people as a girlfriend of mine was in mensa and we went to a mensa gathering and most of the men (at that particular gathering) were either creepy, clueless or just plain sad.

Actually women look for physical traits like height and attractiveness when selecting a mate. Unconsciously of course.

And now she wishes she'd grabbed one and married him.

Nerds got the cash, ya know.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by greenreen

It made me giggle a little to ponder. The question comes from a documentary I saw a few years ago that was based on storing the baby making fluid of men with higher IQs for women to choose from for conception purposes.

Going to make it simple. Just a poll so that comments can be at will to participate. It wouldn't mean that you are stupid if you vote no, at least I wouldn't think that of you. It could easily be changed to be - would you have to pass an MMO acronym test to enter but this version sounds more controversial and fun!

Disclaimer: I don't think IQ tests are indicative of all types of knowledge or guarantee a smarter person. A test I took once for IQ asked whose face was on a 50 cent piece. That is an age based bias for people that had that coin in regular circulation in their lifetime as an example (even though I knew the answer). Now to stop being serious, vote.

Simply...no. I deal with enough segregation in the real world. And can you think of the animosity it would create if people I'm friends with or love didn't make the cut by 1 or 2 points? Yeah the fallout and reprocussions of those effects to the real world would have me avoiding it like the plague. Talk about social stigmas place on mmo players already! Nice to know that 67% of the people here still carry that inflated ego of a torch.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

As a general rule: Never use scripty fonts for headlines.

That is all.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Some folks might be the smatest thing, but lack common sence.  IQ test do nothing other than prove you got some smarts, it what you do with them that makes or breaks you. 

I know some folks who should be working for nasa, but due to bad life choices well yes,  he cant even get a job at a fast food joint.   What a shame to have wasted 4 years of college and 4 years of good air force training. 

Originally posted by Istavaan

I suppose that depends.

Actually women look for physical traits like height and attractiveness when selecting a mate. Unconsciously of course.

hmmm, except I'm not tall and average looking. I must have something else as I keep getting dates. image

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

And now she wishes she'd grabbed one and married him.

Nerds got the cash, ya know.

lol, I went to a gencon and there were all these extremely dorky, and "out of shape" guys and they were dating all these extremely hot women.

So yeah it would explain much!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Nope, I wouldn't play such a game even if I could pass the initial test. That's a kind of elitism which I'd never support in any way, shape, or form.

Not to mention that I really don't think the community would be any better. Someone possessed of a high intelligence is just as likely to be a douchebag as someone with an IQ closer to Forrest Gump's.

IQ really isn't the problem. It's attitude.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    @OP: There is already such a game in existence.  It is called The Secret World.   I meet the IQ standard  to play.    Stupid people playing it will only annoy those of who can,  and want, to do the investigation quests (well, most of them) without crying about it in general or going to  spoiler web pages.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I am curious (without reading the replies yet) why such a criteria would be placed in the first place? What is it hoping to accomplish?

I know of elitist smart people and down to earth smart people. I know of poor, rich, and in between smart people. I know of conservative and liberal and middle of the road smart people. I know of driven smart people and others who could not care any less about almost anything. I know of mature and immature smart people. I know smart people who are dicks and others who bend over backward to help others.

I guess a sneakier way to do this without an IQ test is to make a game harder to learn :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

I guess a sneakier way to do this without an IQ test is to make a game harder to learn :)

Absolutely. Damn things should be nearly impossible, so only the top 1-in-a-thousand can do it.

:cover mouth: uh-oh, what if that's not me?

Illusory_superiority kicks in, never mind, someone turned down the hubris for a second there. Our games should be thorough tests of our Worthiness, rather than amusements.

What do you mean, no game can operate on 20 players per server?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Absolutely. Damn things should be nearly impossible, so only the top 1-in-a-thousand can do it.:cover mouth: uh-oh, what if that's not me?Illusory_superiority kicks in, never mind, someone turned down the hubris for a second there. Our games should be thorough tests of our Worthiness, rather than amusements.What do you mean, no game can operate on 20 players per server?
    I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

Not many are. But at least I can enjoy my leetitude before the game shuts down.

Whups, wrong kind of 'leet. Let's try,,,

Ah, better.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

XAP's approach is far more logical and sound than your LeetGate proposal, but I do commend you on your posting efforts lately to give MMOExposed a run for his money.

"I can see the posts now, the game is too hard!"

Then it's up to the devs to set the expectations properly. Wizardry Online bills itself as a hardcore permadeath MMORPG. CCP has flat out said EVE is hard.

There's no reason to prevent your playerbase from teaching others if they want to. Many games have entire player run guilds dedicated to doing so.

What are your thoughts on a developer test on MMORPG.com? If a person doesn't pass it, they are not allowed to post game design ideas. If they do, their post will be locked or deleted. Absurd, right? Now, if the purpose of the forum was networking, not socializing, that might actually serve a purpose. If the purpose of the forum was professional exchange of ideas, not a sharing/learning/creative exchange, then that might actually serve a purpose. Basically, unless your goal is something down the line of "Engineering Online" or  "World of Neurosurgery" all an IQ gate does is create an artificial barrier but worse (or better, based onyour posts) it attracts a certain type of person who is only there to be exclusionary in their behavior.

I come here to talk about mmos. Read opinions of others and share mine. That's the gist, captain. If you have a better idea for a topic than either of us, go ahead and post it. I won't feel bad because I am participating in the forum. I'm not mean spirited to people with opposing opinions and I'm not calling them names. If my frequency of participating bothers you - that's a "your problem".

What you suggest is already done. Greed Monger forum is filled with people saying that they aren't going to deliver or questioning them on their past. When people mention that they want to create a game, 50 of us tell them, it's a ton of work, are you really prepared to make it happen. Perhaps if I want to search your "post history" I would find you suggesting such a thing to others. I do see your name around pretty frequently too, it would almost be odd if you didn't have the same opinion most carry about the subject, it won't be a cake walk.

As I've stated, people are exclusionary every day. This is not new. The reason you posted in this thread instead of taking the topic to another forum when you have opinions on it is you excluding every other forum because this one you choose to be involved in at the moment. Too bad, all these thoughts are being lost in this forum when the rest of the internet can't participate unless they make an account and find the place. Surely, we too are elitists.

I never said anything about whether you should post or not or about the frequency of your posts.

Greed Monger, talking about making MMOs, choice of forums... what does any of that have to do with creating a more intellectually challenging game and filtering that way vs an IQ Gate?

Regarding your last pargraph, as it is the only one actually on topic, do you really not see the difference between multiple groups with free entry to choose from and multiple groups with gated entry that one has to apply for?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

This is just silly. If the game has enough population, i can always find someone i like to play with. Whether the GAME is good is much more important.

Plus, who is to say a more intelligent player is more fun to play with? May be he can figure out some new way to ninja you.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Free entry is still subject to giving information. I have to give up an email address to have an account here. If I had to give up some other information about me, it would still be information. People apply for beta testing and don't seem let down if their computers aren't going to perform at the level the dev would aspire to test (they ask you to include a dxdiag). Why is it different when the aspiration is for a playerbase of above average on an IQ test. Again, exclusions happen all the time.

You don't see any difference at all between entering an email address to join a group and having to take an IQ test to join the group?

Srsly?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No because it would be populated by jerks.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by steamtank

no

IQ tests are famously bias.

Take some coursework in education and you will find out just how messed up those types of tests are.

Bias towards smarter people? Isn't that the whole point?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/