Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Sony Online Entertainment Announces New Partnership

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has announced that it has entered into a partnership agreement with Major League Gaming. The announcement was made during this weekend's PlanetSide 2 Ultimate Empire Showdown in Los Angeles where our own Ripper X is taking part as a member of the Vanu Sovereignty Team.

Over the next few months, the PlanetSide 2 and MLG teams will work closely to develop ideal competitive gameplay features and settings to showcase the massively multiplayer online first-person shooter (MMOFPS). With MLG’s consult and significant community involvement, SOE has committed to creating a long-term eSports initiative within PlanetSide 2 that will highlight an exceptional massively multiplayer competitive gaming experience.

Additionally, SOE and MLG will collaborate to create original programming to air on the MLG network at www.majorleaguegaming.com and www.Twitch.tv/Team/MLG. Details and a complete broadcast schedule will be released in the coming weeks. PlanetSide 2 players around the globe will soon after be able to compete via MLG’s GameBattles online competition site. Additionally, PlanetSide 2 gaming stations will be featured at MLG’s first Pro Circuit event of 2013 – the Winter Championship in Dallas, Texas, from March 15-17.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    The game's death knell rings loudly today.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Esports and planetsides rvr are not an easy fit. This is a bad direction to take, would have preferred the sandbox continent instead.

Esports and mmos just don't mix, its never been done successfully.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

well I gave up on this game.  The ammount of wall hacks and aim bots in this game is nuts.  Now they are turning it into an esport on tv?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Stellus

My first thought exactly. Game isn't doing as well as they hoped.  They would had been better off doing a call of duty mmo, that game is better imo.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by erictlewis

well I gave up on this game.  The ammount of wall hacks and aim bots in this game is nuts.  Now they are turning it into an esport on tv?

Exactly.  How can they get esports involved when there is rampant cheating in the game.

• InterSlayerInterSlayer Member Posts: 1

srs being able to cheat means u cant have tournies. my niece cheats at chess all the time, how do they have chess tournaments legitimately ??

I've been playing since launch. I've encountered the occasional ganker, but not "rampant cheating"

I came across way more hackers in war, gw2 & rift amongst others.
  • GrandoReaperGrandoReaper Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Exactly.  How can they get esports involved when there is rampant cheating in the game.

MLG is the same league that encouraged cheating in Halo 2 competitive play.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by Betaguy

My first thought exactly. Game isn't doing as well as they hoped.  They would had been better off doing a call of duty mmo, that game is better imo.

I only played a couple of hours but it wasn't a very good game from what i saw...It felt like I had been dropped into an Unreal Tournament game.....I thought the game was going to be alot better but its just your standard shooter with all the cheaters aboard.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Bummer, I am slowly taking a few steps back from this game every time I read a review. I was an avid ps1 player, 8 years...guess I will stay on the old Auraxis

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Betaguy

I agree. I doubt that SOE is even capable of putting out good product anymore. Their last several games have been sub-par out of the gate, and once the newness has worn off, all too quick to crash.
    Plenty of us still like the game. Outside of eve its the best pvp experience you can get today.

Sure its not as good as classics like ps1 and daoc. But its way more fun than the likes of gw2 and especially wow for pvpers.
  • OldSquirrelOldSquirrel Member Posts: 20

I've had a lot of fun in PS2, but I'm totally pissed about this MLG link...

Are they trying to make the rest of us feel like second-class players?

Well it sure worked... f**k MLG...

"I'm a nerd, and I'm pretty proud of it." - Gilbert, Revenge of the Nerds[1984]

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    The game is fun yes are there cheaters sure. Rampet maybe on your server or just the one faction. What I have seen I'd the aerial jets zipping all over my crafts. Thy are to fast to track with the human eye and also how can they damage and kill so many people evading missiles and AA. That and other hacks should be addressed befor going Esport(fat kid pro athlete?). Personally stupid but hey it's Sony the people behind brain trust team dumb #2 Ea is #1 brain morons.
  • eyeqdkeyeqdk Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Well, maby this will make SOE to look in to hacking... and do more about it. wich will be a GOOD thing. dont se why every one here is so "mad" about it. it have nothing to do with normal game play. 
  • blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144

Whatever, the Esports aspect doesn't appeal to me.  The game on the other hand does, I like it alot.  I have seen some speed hackers but that is about it.  Everything else, I believe, has just been the game going a bit wonky.

I have seen nothing like I saw in BF3 where a guy is killing everyone on the map.

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 225

You know a great way to deal with these hackers you all mention? Play with a squad/platoon! (Honestly how many of you play with 24+ people? Ones that are not zerging the Crown.)

Most of you guys cry non stop on these forums, it is pitiful coming here anymore and almost none of you even have an arguement.

Let me put it in obvious terms for you....

Just like LoL, PS2 will be able to take squads/outfits and place them on a seperate server for SvS or OvO style tourneys for MLG. By doing this they will reduce hackers from both inside and outside of the tourney. 

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Good for SOE.   Maybe with the added attention, they might put some serious work into fixing all that is wrong with their game.   I was a huge fan of PS1(seriously - I loved that game) and was hoping that SOE would deliver a new version that was better, but sadly that is not the case.   ::sigh::
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I have zero experience with hackers dominating or griefing me in the game.  There have been a few occasions where I thought the death was impossible, but the scenario didn't repeat itself until I thought I couldn't play the game.  I never experienced the widespread panic that seemed to afflict a lot of other players in PS2.  I'm not saying it didn't happen, but that seriously can't be used as an excuse to call it the end for the game.
  • troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

There are a dozen games that are featured in an MLG tournament every year for only one tournament.

If Planetside 2 is entertaining enough to watch then it'll stay at MLG.  If it isn't, it'll be gone in one tournament.

MLG is a tournament that requires ratings in order to secure sponsors.  Planetside 2 is going to have a hard time sporting giant teams to any of these MLG locations.

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I've been playing since launch. I've encountered the occasional ganker, but not "rampant cheating"

I came across way more hackers in war, gw2 & rift amongst others.

So you haven't seen the hackers spawning turrets in the warpgate? How about flying around on the disk of death knocking people off the map? Or maybe the speed hacking Galaxy's? PS1 was one of my favorite games but they need to get a handle on this, it is way out of control...

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162

Here's an example of the nonsense.

http://i.imgur.com/yhUf0du.jpg

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

I enjoy Ps2 and im fine with them creating a tourny based arena setup, it wont take anything from the current game, and if anything will help game balance, and premote the game in more ways.

Its not like they are going to remove whats currently already present in the game, and the new road map is a key feature in helping the game get better from not only a developers view, but important feedback from the community.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

^This.  I have been a huge supporter of this game until this announcement.  Nothing, I mean NOTHING good comes to the players when MLG gets involved.  Guess it is time to move along.  Damn shame, this game had potential.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• congamercongamer Member Posts: 1
    It'll be fine - all the e-sports crap will be sequestered in a private server that will probably have special controls in place to foster that kind of competition. It's gonna be fine - get back to Auraxis already and fight for the TR!