Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an MMO that made you exceed average results on an IQ test to participate?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Maybe this is an alternative idea:

Why not make the game sufficiently intellectually challenging and immune to cheating so the content itself acts as a gene pool filter?

Because that doesn't seem to be the goal.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Why not make the game sufficiently intellectually challenging and immune to cheating so the content itself acts as a gene pool filter?

Far be it from me to miss the point of a thread. *sigh*  Oh well, not the first time this happened. :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

no

IQ tests are famously bias.

Take some coursework in education and you will find out just how messed up those types of tests are.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Yes but the devs have to pass it also.....
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Is this the topic where everyone will claim to have above average IQ and beat their chest and say 'hell yeah'? well i guess i will fit right in then.

I love these 'make yourself feel better' topics ;)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Spiider

I see elitism is well and thriwing. And some people believe they are better than others and deserve more just by being "better".

Damn, where did I see this already.... ah I remember, Nazi Germany said "Hi".

Coun't me out. Elitists should drown in their egos.

Godwin alert!

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Sure I'd give it a shot.

Think of it as an entrance exam for school or a job interview.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    They should put these things on everyone's computer and be required to gain access to the internet. Sure the forums would be empty...but scoring more than 70 on an IQ test is hard...
  • PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

Yea i would love that, so I could stay away from that game. I would pass this test, it is not the problem. But hey, I'm someone who sometime love to Grief others, I gank lowbies when I see them. I am not always talkative and When I run dungeons with a random PuG or random group formation, I am mostly a bot, I do my job, I try to do it well and that's it. BUT, sometime i'm so bored of running the same dungeon, that I will chat on facebook at the same time.

I have 2 friend in a video game that I play that are otistic, they write awfully, they do not know how to talk properly, but  he is always there to help me and he is actually a really good player. I would recommend that guy in a video game before I would recommend my own self. He will not drop from a group because he is bored and he don't care. The game means a lot to him, more than it does to me.

What I am saying is that, even though I'm smart I sometime act like a jerk, and I do not think that it's people who arent smart that spams "THUNDERFURY" or say ass jokes, I played every MMO out there, and good players doesnt mean smart people at all.

Originally posted by Psychow
    They should put these things on everyone's computer and be required to gain access to the internet. Sure the forums would be empty...but scoring more than 70 on an IQ test is hard...

This is the kind of proof that even if you have IQ you do not always know what you are talking about. People less brilliant are sometime more helpful and they seek to blame other or flame less than "smart" people

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    I would give it a shot.

I am reminded of players who complain over a four-question guild application ("It's the principal of the thing!").

No chance they'd sit through hours of examination anyway.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Psychow

Tech support people around the globe would sing your praises if they did.

-- Herman Melville

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

A game for elitist basement dwellers. Where spelling errors are punished with -50 DKP.

OP - Just create a guild and make an IQ test part of the application process, along with a written essay and some math problems.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It takes a certain level of intelligence to realistically believe you're more intelligent than other people.

And it takes a whole other level entirely to know you are more intelligent than other people, yet not be a dick about it.

"Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom."

Actually a good read and answer from wiki.answers.com-

"Intelligence indicates knowledge not wisdom. A wise man knows how to use his knowledge to make a good decision. A person may have a lot of knowledge but be unable to use it properly.

Intelligence is a high-minded concept that denotes one mind being smarter than the next. Indeed, a person may be intelligent, what I call "book smart," yet display little to no common sense at all. For example, an intellectual can give you a formula for why it is wrong to step into a street with no regard for oncoming cars, but may do that exact thing by being distracted while talking on his cell phone. The formula he touts is correct, full of common sense as well as an avoidance of danger, but in reality, he was distracted the same way many of us are.

Wisdom, on the other hand, denotes life-experience: what I equate with having common sense to share with others. A wise man doesn't have to be the cliche of someone pondering life while living in a cave; he can be someone with a lifetime of experiences to share. They can be personal experiences unique unto him, or more worldly; a generalized version of the same truths. A WISE man would not have stepped in front of oncoming traffic. He would have understood the concept of imminent danger, in a way the intellect would not. He did not have an arrogant "it will never happen to me" attitude toward life; because he KNOWS life is fragile."

Moral of the story?

Many people who are probably of "above average" intelligence are indeed quote "smarter" than other people, but the truly intelligent and wise don't lord it over others with delusions of grandeur and a sense of entitlement and exclusivity.

So no, I would NOT play such a game.

Because most of the people in the game with me would probably be assholes.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    I haven't seen much intelligence on this forum to suggest these measure should be introduced. Most of you would be locked out of your favourite raid. As if raiding the same boss over and over is something an intelligent person would do. :)
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

A game for elitist basement dwellers. Where spelling errors are punished with -50 DKP.

Elitism based on raiding or twich skills is a-ok though.

No shortage of reasons to exclude other players proposed every week here--many of which make even less sense.

And...always the most popular of all topics, too.  <GroupX sucks><We need to find a way to keep GroupX out of OUR games>

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    i feel like this every day when i do a raid and see DPS doing half the damage of the tank and/or healer. i mean seriously it isnt that hard.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    in the mmo world - highschool cliques never end!
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Icewhite

No shortage of reasons to exclude other players proposed every week here--many of which make even less sense.

It just proves that mmorpg players are as we have always suspected, elitest douchebags! hence why a lot of games are now focusing on solo play because most of us don't want to associate with weird obsessive gamers.

Originally posted by Icewhite

What is more brilliant speaking only one language without ever making any spelling errors or being able to speak 6 language with a 100% understanding rate and 80-90% perfect spelling?

A lot of the grammar syntax I do are made from my knowledge of other languages.

P.S: I loved the quote saying that "raiding the same boss every week is not something an inteligent person would do.."

Originally posted by Istavaan
    mmorpg players are as we have always suspected, elitest douchebags!

Ever play a certain loot-centric game with lots of status symbols? (most people have, these days)

Was it ever in doubt?

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Because most of the people in the game with me would probably be assholes.

And thats any different than now? image

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Far be it from me to miss the point of a thread. *sigh*  Oh well, not the first time this happened. :-)

Your idea is legit too but I can see the posts now, the game is too hard! They expect someone to think while playing, I'm going back to the grinding game where I don't have to solve anything. That way the test is the indicator that this game is going to require some thinking, then you were warned. You went on the inside of the doors while I was thinking of the outside gate. I think it's the same premise without it being stated but experienced instead.

Reminds me of sandbox games where people start asking what to do then where things are. People respond to them then they ask again. Without 5 trackers to tell them where to walk and highlight things, they are lost. Those people aren't ever going to get off that give me a fish instead of teaching me to fish lakeside scene.

XAP's approach is far more logical and sound than your LeetGate proposal, but I do commend you on your posting efforts lately to give MMOExposed a run for his money.

"I can see the posts now, the game is too hard!"

Then it's up to the devs to set the expectations properly. Wizardry Online bills itself as a hardcore permadeath MMORPG. CCP has flat out said EVE is hard.

There's no reason to prevent your playerbase from teaching others if they want to. Many games have entire player run guilds dedicated to doing so.

What are your thoughts on a developer test on MMORPG.com? If a person doesn't pass it, they are not allowed to post game design ideas. If they do, their post will be locked or deleted. Absurd, right? Now, if the purpose of the forum was networking, not socializing, that might actually serve a purpose. If the purpose of the forum was professional exchange of ideas, not a sharing/learning/creative exchange, then that might actually serve a purpose. Basically, unless your goal is something down the line of "Engineering Online" or  "World of Neurosurgery" all an IQ gate does is create an artificial barrier but worse (or better, based onyour posts) it attracts a certain type of person who is only there to be exclusionary in their behavior.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre