Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Dynamic Events ARE revolutionary, I can't wait till they are evolutionary!

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by ScaryMonk
    Originally posted by Torgrim

GW2 has plenty of flaws so does all games.

Please, for my entertainment, can you name some of them?  Just a top 10 will do.  

Oh pick me I will!

1. Lack of end game

2. Lack of meaningful progression

3. Lack of actual PvP

4. "Evolving" zones that think moving a few rocks is evolving

5. Lack of any semblance of balance between classes

6. No real goals

7. Forsaking giving lots of tools for the sake of balance

8. Story was linear, and cookie cutter

9. Lack of trinity

10. Lack of real PvE content

Honestly it's all opinion anyway, but those would be my top 10, mostly in order, of why I quit after 3 months. This game has a ton of polish, but it has flaws just like any game you will play. I still feel like I got my money's worth, and its really awesome one day in a few months I can just pick it up again. There are a lot of good things about GW2 as well other companies should learn.

Some of those listed are preferences, design choice or subjective and not really flaws per se.

Things I would like to see improved (some are on Arenanet radar and being tackled):

- open World rewards are lacking compared to dungeons/fractals, especially non DE Champion Mobs;

- waypoint cost can dissuade people from travelling (if it was a few copper people would probably end spending much more overall);

- crafting doesn't incorporate lower tier materials on higher tier recipies.

- lack of Guild Halls;

- there is little reason for guilds to play together on the open world as a guild as opposed to individuals, Additionally party size is five and there is no UI indication for guild members that aren't in your party;

- DEs don't scale properly with more players - just adding more mobs per player involved doesn't increase difficulty due to AoE power being high.

- Respawn timer of mobs in some places is too high.

- Broken DE are common and seem to take until a server reset to fix.

- invisible attakcs that instant kill you.

- story mod isn't really designed for multiplayer - the game could use something similar to GW1 missions that would connect the personal story with the open world story. Dungeons only don't do the trick.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Oh pick me I will!

1. Lack of end game

3. Lack of actual PvP

6. No real goals

9. Lack of trinity

Honestly it's all opinion anyway, but those would be my top 10, mostly in order, of why I quit after 3 months. This game has a ton of polish, but it has flaws just like any game you will play. I still feel like I got my money's worth, and its really awesome one day in a few months I can just pick it up again. There are a lot of good things about GW2 as well other companies should learn.

1. Theres plenty of endgame. This one is not opinion, sorry.

2. I progress my skill. Thats more meaningful than any stat increase ever

3. RUserial?

4. "Evolving" zones would mean "zones" are intelligent. LMK when you find that

5. Classes are more balanced than any other MMO i have played

6. Only "real" goal is to have fun

7. What tools? Skills? Sorry, there are plenty of tools

8. LMK when you find non linear story

9. Thats actually best thing about GW2

10. "real" PvE content. lol

Anyway it seems that you want gear progression raiding. Yah, it doesnt have that and thats main appeal of GW2.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by mikahr

Oh pick me I will!

1. Lack of end game

3. Lack of actual PvP

6. No real goals

9. Lack of trinity

3. RUserial?

Anyway it seems that you want gear progression raiding. Yah, it doesnt have that and thats main appeal of GW2.

Pizza is good, yes it is good

Chocolate is good, yes it makes happy

My warrior can 2hit another warrior, yes why not

I dont know what to do, find something to do

I want a new jacket, I just grab my old one

I need things to repair my car, yes i have all things

I think this are examples of not giving examples =)

sorry:p

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Phry
    They may have more detail than Rifts dynamic events, but that doesnt really alter the fact that Rift created the concept. Maybe Arenanet took that idea and ran with it, but ultimately, it was Trion that brought about that revolution, if you can call it that. Whether it will catch on and evolve into something more in other games remains to be seen, i kind of hope it does. image

False.  ANet was working on them before Rift was released.  Trion is a decent company, but basically they're known as the guys that made yet another WoW clone.

Dumb.

i had the idea 23 years ago........

Point: Release date is all that matters.  Maybe instead of an attack against Trion you could like some proof that ANet was doing this before....wait...damnit...WAR had it's PQs..how far back was ANet working on these?....

*rubs temples*

You're the second person I've had to point this out to... I wasn't saying ANet invented the concept, I'm saying they were doing DE's before Rift was released, not before WAR was released.  Even then, I found WAR's PQ's much more entertaining than monster spa... I mean rifts.

Keep rubbing your temples, it must be a real headache to miss the point entirely.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

6. No real goals

LOL  "real" goals in an MMO.  You know they're just about killing and collecting right?  Name an MMO that has a "real" goal other than those two things?  And then realize that everyone's real goals are different anyway.  Seriously, this is the worst number on the list.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Caldrin

@ OP GW2 events are anything buy dynamic..

They happen at the same points over and over and over.. how on earth is that Dynamic?

You don't know what dynamic means.

Dynamic just means something in a state of flow.

It doesn't mean random, it doesn't mean unique.

Both are wrong really, maybe Cyclical or Recurrent Events.  

There is a thing in physics called "Dynamics of Circular motion".

The words aren't guilty people don't know their meaning.

There is also a 'Modified Newtonian Dynamics' as well as many other theories and phrases containing the word 'dynamic'; and these are also entirely irrelevent.  

And all characterize things with movement and that are the opposite of static.

Which can be applied to any quest in any game making the word redundant. 

No.

A quest has 2 states, not completed and completed.

A dynamic event can have several states that move, some in a linear fashion other forking.

But now you are choosing to ignore the definition of dynamic because it doesn't suit your argument.  

dy·nam·ic  (dimage-nimagemimageimagek)

adj. also dy·nam·i·cal (-image-kimagel)

a. Of or relating to energy or to objects in motion.

b. Of or relating to the study of dynamics.

2. Characterized by continuous change, activity, or progress: a dynamic market.

3. Marked by intensity and vigor; forceful. See Synonyms at active.

4. Of or relating to variation of intensity, as in musical sound.

Dynamic events as opposed to static quests (ala WoW). A static quest is indicated to be present by the presence of a "quest giver", usually an NPC with an identifying mark (a "quest bang") floating over them indicating that a player should interact with that NPC to receive the quest. The player will then act on the quest which usually affects only that player... killing a certain number of mobs, for example, will now start a counter as credit for the quest whereas killing those same mobs wthout the quest active provides no additional benefit. Upon completion of the static task, the player returns to the NPC for their reward. With a dynamic event you have a system in motion, often without the players even being present, although various triggers can set off the events (proximity, interaction with an object, etc). Dynamic events, when active, affect everyone in the area, not just the person that may have triggered it (as with a static quest). Everyone contributes and everyone gets rewarded for their contributions. DEs can also reach a fail state... failure to complete the event satisfactorally results in the event (and the area) settling into a different state than prior to it's activation. Fail states trigger new events to allow players the opportunity to push the event chain back towards success, but can also lead to additional fail states and new events as a result of those fail states. 

In a nutshell, dynamic events are characterized by activity and progress (pass or fail states and chains). The fact that the chains can be pushed back to cycling is irrelevant to the fact that they are, by definition, dynamic.

Thank you very much for reaffirming what I previously posted. Maybe this time it might sink into some thick heads and knowledge might burst into bloom for them. By definition the events/quests in GW2 are dynamic. They might not be what some people have in their heads as dynamic and expecially what I would love to see as a "dynamic" event, but they are dynamic. The event changes to meet the requirements of group size, thus changing in intensity. One event can lead to another which changes the expected outcome of the event (even if it's only for a first time run thru).

Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Phry
    They may have more detail than Rifts dynamic events, but that doesnt really alter the fact that Rift created the concept. Maybe Arenanet took that idea and ran with it, but ultimately, it was Trion that brought about that revolution, if you can call it that. Whether it will catch on and evolve into something more in other games remains to be seen, i kind of hope it does. image

False.  ANet was working on them before Rift was released.  Trion is a decent company, but basically they're known as the guys that made yet another WoW clone.

Dumb.

i had the idea 23 years ago........

Point: Release date is all that matters.  Maybe instead of an attack against Trion you could like some proof that ANet was doing this before....wait...damnit...WAR had it's PQs..how far back was ANet working on these?....

*rubs temples*

You're the second person I've had to point this out to... I wasn't saying ANet invented the concept, I'm saying they were doing DE's before Rift was released, not before WAR was released.  Even then, I found WAR's PQ's much more entertaining than monster spa... I mean rifts.

Keep rubbing your temples, it must be a real headache to miss the point entirely.

I would say success is very important.

Just having features and then being unable to flesh it in a succesful product isn't enough.

GW2 deliver DEs in a succesful product.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I keep hearing people talking about Dynamic Events and how they are just like Rift's rifts, or Warhammer's PQ's, but I don't see the similarity at all.   The DE's in GW2 are extremely revolutionary.   Rifts just seem to be random occurances of mobs all over the map, and that doesn't sound revolutionary at all, nothing like GW2 Dynamic Events.

Now I know that there are all sorts of people going to tell me how wrong I am. I've seen how people react to words, and especially words that might show GW2 in a positive light.  And I'm sure that none of them actually care if  nobody says anything, but they sure care if someone says that they like the game. It's just a negative world for many people, and they  feel compelled to "keep the optimism in check"

The DE's in GW2 are very revolutionary. Take for example, one of the norn Dynamic Events in the starting area.  It starts off with a norn woman wanting to collect wyrm eggs for food. Now she asks everyone in the area to help by retrieving as many wyrm eggs as possible, and she will use the eggs to make some food for everyone. Needless to say, she needs a lot of eggs, and the more people that take part, means she will need even more eggs. Once she has enough, she will say so and then give people a chance to bring the last of the eggs they've collected to her.  Yeah, thats right, she doesn't just stop and leave, she gives everyone a chance to participate even though she's reached her quota.

Then she goes back to the lodge to prepare a wondrous meal for everyone, but the scent of the eggs attracts wyrms to the lodge! Yes, this is a lodge with NPC vendors and everything, and everybody has to help fend off the wyrm attack! The attack almost seems endless as wave after wave of wyrms attack the lodge. The bodies of wyrms, and norn litter the ground in front of the lodge.  And once the assault is finally over, the eggs are ruined and the woman has to admit that it might not have been such a good idea to collect all those eggs. Another norn comments that the fight was magnificent (LOL! That is sooo norn) and before long the woman decides to go collect more eggs, and the event has gone through it's full revolution. Full circle, so to speak.

That is why I say that GW2 Dynamic Events are revolutionary, but what I'm really looking forward to is when they become evolutionary. When an event chain matures to not always come back to the exact same point. Maybe it will still have the potential to return to it's original point, but I would like to see multiple return points to start off from, as well as multiple outcomes. 

I can't wait to see where the genre moves to next.

Haha, ok, wait...

Warhammers PQ's, Rifts rifts, GW2 "dynamic" events, how are they DIFFERENT? You can stand  in the same spot in all these games and get evented on, repeatedly, with the same outcome, you win the event or you don't win the event.

About the only thing revolutionary was the name, "DYNAMIC EVENT!"...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Xepo

They happen at the same points over and over and over.. how on earth is that Dynamic?

There is also a 'Modified Newtonian Dynamics' as well as many other theories and phrases containing the word 'dynamic'; and these are also entirely irrelevent.  

No.

A dynamic event can have several states that move, some in a linear fashion other forking.

But now you are choosing to ignore the definition of dynamic because it doesn't suit your argument.  

Dynamic events as opposed to static quests (ala WoW). A static quest is indicated to be present by the presence of a "quest giver", usually an NPC with an identifying mark (a "quest bang") floating over them indicating that a player should interact with that NPC to receive the quest. The player will then act on the quest which usually affects only that player... killing a certain number of mobs, for example, will now start a counter as credit for the quest whereas killing those same mobs wthout the quest active provides no additional benefit. Upon completion of the static task, the player returns to the NPC for their reward. With a dynamic event you have a system in motion, often without the players even being present, although various triggers can set off the events (proximity, interaction with an object, etc). Dynamic events, when active, affect everyone in the area, not just the person that may have triggered it (as with a static quest). Everyone contributes and everyone gets rewarded for their contributions. DEs can also reach a fail state... failure to complete the event satisfactorally results in the event (and the area) settling into a different state than prior to it's activation. Fail states trigger new events to allow players the opportunity to push the event chain back towards success, but can also lead to additional fail states and new events as a result of those fail states. 

In a nutshell, dynamic events are characterized by activity and progress (pass or fail states and chains). The fact that the chains can be pushed back to cycling is irrelevant to the fact that they are, by definition, dynamic.

Thank you very much for reaffirming what I previously posted. Maybe this time it might sink into some thick heads and knowledge might burst into bloom for them. By definition the events/quests in GW2 are dynamic. They might not be what some people have in their heads as dynamic and expecially what I would love to see as a "dynamic" event, but they are dynamic. The event changes to meet the requirements of group size, thus changing in intensity. One event can lead to another which changes the expected outcome of the event (even if it's only for a first time run thru).

For God's sake.  You debate semantics to avoid debating the actual content of the game.  Call them whatever you want, call them 'Mr Potato Head Events' for all I care.  The point is they are more than a little underwhelming and do not live up to the GW2 pre-release blurb.  

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Vapors

Oh pick me I will!

1. Lack of end game

3. Lack of actual PvP

6. No real goals

9. Lack of trinity

3. RUserial?

Pizza is good, yes it is good

Chocolate is good, yes it makes happy

My warrior can 2hit another warrior, yes why not

I dont know what to do, find something to do

I want a new jacket, I just grab my old one

I need things to repair my car, yes i have all things

I think this are examples of not giving examples =)

sorry:p

I updated my list with reasons why my opinion is the way it is. It's a page or 2 back. Also I haven't raided since WOTLK in WoW, I prefer solo, duo, or small group content and PvP now. I have no desire for raiding anymore, I do want my character to grow beyond visual skins.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

And there I stopped reading the rest.

Because you have a low tolerance for reading? Really, you supply no reason as to why you stopped reading, and making text red doesn't magically provide one.

Your wall of text explains it nicely.

Incase you haven't noticed Torgrim would cut off his right arm before admitting the game has any flaws.  Best to take his comments with a pinch- well, bucketload- of salt.  

Please, for my entertainment, can you name some of them?  Just a top 10 will do.  

Why 10?

I can name a few such as some DE are simplistic and repative, not enough armour and weapon skins, Orr needs a rewamp, no houses and no guild housing, bugs here and there.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

No.

For God's sake.  You debate semantics to avoid debating the actual content of the game.  Call them whatever you want, call them 'Mr Potato Head Events' for all I care.  The point is they are more than a little underwhelming and do not live up to the GW2 pre-release blurb.  

They didn't live up to your expectation.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97

No.

They didn't live up to your unreachable expendations.

No.  As I said 'they are more than little underwhelming and do not live up to the GW2 pre-release blurb'.  Please read before responding.  

No.

They didn't live up to your unreachable expendations.

No.  As I said 'they are more than little underwhelming and do not live up to the GW2 pre-release blurb'.  Please read before responding.  

So link those GW2 pre-release blurb so I can read it, then I can come back and write you a proper respons ok.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    So link those GW2 pre-release blurb so I can read it, then I can come back and write you a proper respons ok.

Pointless argument about definitions of specific words, while ignoring the greater marketing (=dubious honesty, salesmanship) context for which those words were first written.

Can we argue about if "Coke® adds Life", or not, next? What did they mean by "life", exactly?

I am disappointed. I bought a Coke®, expecting more life, like I was "promised".

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• shadyjamesshadyjames Member Posts: 34

wow this thread has gotten way off track imo. So to answer the OP, yes that would be cool to see these style of events, be they rift's or Warhammer's or Guild Wars' evolve into something with more depth.

Now for those that can't help but complain that gw2 events were jsut to dull for you, and there is nothing to do in gw2 what a waste of money QQ

I suggest now that you followed the Zerg from launch day eating up content as fast as you could, in a race to be the server first at some wild thought you had in your head that this game was the same as wow, and would have some amazing gear progession so you could lord it over all others, that you, and only you are the god of "fill in game here" Now that that is out of your system, and you see that gw2 is built differently I suggest you get a few freinds and start again and enjoy the story, the little conversations the NPC's have before the event begins, enjoy the event, and the chains that happen after alot of them, if you are patient enough to wait.

I think then, if you try that, you may find, jsut like those of us who do actually like the game, that it isn't that bad of a game after all. I may be wrong, and you may still hate the hell out of it. but hey if you already own it, it won't cost you to try again will it?

And I know this wasn't part of this thread, but please, if you want to gripe about the quests being the same as other mmo's just has a line instead of a number,try to at least use some examples pas level 3. and for what it's worth most quests in gw2 have 2 or 3 things you can do to finish the game. So to compare instead of just killing the same wolves for a tail to get a new helm in wow in gw2 you could kill the wolves, or set traps, or possibly help injured hunters. you can do one of the 4 things to get your reward, or you can do any combo. I think there are plenty of differences that Anet has tried, it's only a few months old. 

And serisouly I think alot of the "hate" on gw2 is simply because the game you really wanted to make noise on the net failed or wasn't what you hoped? it's ok, there will be plenty more games to come along. You don't need to bash on gw2 just cause people like it,

there some stuff I had to get off my chest. 

As for who made "DE's" first who the hell cares? Play what you like and please for the love of god stop trolling in forums of games you don't like, it's that simple really

Originally posted by Icewhite

Pointless argument about definitions of specific words, while ignoring the greater marketing (=dubious honesty, salesmanship) context for which those words were first written.

Can we argue about if "Coke® adds Life", or not, next? What did they mean by "life", exactly?

I am disappointed. I bought a Coke®, expecting more life, like I was "promised".

You still alive aint you? ;)

Because you have a low tolerance for reading? Really, you supply no reason as to why you stopped reading, and making text red doesn't magically provide one.

Incase you haven't noticed Torgrim would cut off his right arm before admitting the game has any flaws.  Best to take his comments with a pinch- well, bucketload- of salt.  

Why 10?

I can name a few such as some DE are simplistic and repative, not enough armour and weapon skins, Orr needs a rewamp, no houses and no guild housing, bugs here and there.

I gave 10 things to be improved, but no one wants to discuss them since they are reasonable problems a real player playing the game will face instead of some doom and gloom or ideological reasons...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Why 10?

I gave 10 things to be improved, but no one wants to discuss them since they are reasonable problems a real player playing the game will face instead of some doom and gloom or ideological reasons...

most reasonable discussions for this game or anygame get burried in a sea or troll/bait threads/posts.. there have been plenty of decent discussion topics about issues with the game but then of course 10 people need to chime in with GW2 blows(many of these types of comments get mod edits so many don't see them) or game is easy no matter what and so forth and it then it turns into a flame battle like every single other thread...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    yeah, these "troll wars" are getting out of hand these days. I wish people could take a lesson from the "Eyelolled's Book of Tact and Respect for Forum Posting"

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

The events the OP described happen in Warhammer online with PQs.

Special random revolutionary event=

Collect crap

Kill crap

Recycle

?

Not revolutionary.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    yeah, these "troll wars" are getting out of hand these days. I wish people could take a lesson from the "Eyelolled's Book of Tact and Respect for Forum Posting"

I'm sure it's a good read ...Who was the publisher?

Originally posted by Drolkin

Collect crap

Kill crap

Recycle

?

Not revolutionary.

Nice of you to point out how a MMO works, +1 INT for you.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

I'm sure it's a good read ...Who was the publisher?

Publisher? Not sure, but the napkin it's wrote out on says Made from Recycled Materials

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Drolkin

Collect crap

Kill crap

Recycle

?

Not revolutionary.

Nice of you to point out how a MMO works, +1 INT for you.

Actually I liked PQ's ...Rifts ....DE's and any open world boss in any game ,the only thing I know I hate are quest hubs and forced grinding to level