Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an MMO that made you exceed average results on an IQ test to participate?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I would give it a shot.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I wouldn't play a game that looked to activley exclude gamers regardless of my IQ.

By the way ,the 50 cent piece is still in circulation, although it is being phased out, dang thing is just TOO BIG!

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    sure, as long as it's the real deal and not some fraud "thinking man's game" full of teenagers pretending to be 40 like TSW.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Would the game be expected to require a certain level of intelligence to use the game mechanics, or would it just be a test to make sure everyone is at least a certain intelligence, regardless of the intelligence needed for the game's mechanics?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Your typical MMO account creation process already takes too long. There's no chance I would bother taking an IQ test in order to setup an account too. Besides we need the dumbies in PvP for target practice.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Only if the Developers had to take a test about the history of MMORPGs, the different types of gameplay and what THEY think the value and importance of each is...and end it with what they think of Raph Koster and his ideas. Then show us the results.

I will then base wanting to play such a thing on those results. Otherwise, no I would not waste my time taking a test to play what no doubt would be another bland boring MMORPG that is sorely lacking in many areas of gameplay.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    I actualy like using my brain to solve things in mmorpg's, something that has been missing this past few years with exception to rift and tsw which i both enjoy.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I could just see it.  MMMORPG.

Mensa Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Maybe they should make people take a personality test because many mmorpg players lack one. "I have a high IQ but i can't socialize with people" said the mmo gamer.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Onomas
    I actualy like using my brain to solve things in mmorpg's, something that has been missing this past few years with exception to rift and tsw which i both enjoy.

Yeah, but is the OP talking about an IQ test barrier to WoW, or TSW?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Are you talking about steep learning curves like with EVE and AO?

The industry seems to be catering to the "everyone is a winner" generation. Which means dumbed-down.

I think games with steep learning curves will still come out, but very few. Those companies generally like to be try something different and happy with a modest population. Let me expand on that. That they can stay in business with a modest population.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

I see elitism is well and thriwing. And some people believe they are better than others and deserve more just by being "better".

Damn, where did I see this already.... ah I remember, Nazi Germany said "Hi".

Coun't me out. Elitists should drown in their egos.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    No. I would think it was trying too hard. The pretentious hipster of MMO games.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    I think they should make the test focus on chatting up a woman in a bar and see how well most of you do. There are different types of intelligence that an  IQ test does not cover. It's ironic that a so called intelligent person thinks IQ tests represents intelligence or a favourable personality, do you people go outside at all?
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Avarix
    No. I would think it was trying too hard. The pretentious hipster of MMO games.

Same.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by Spiider

I see elitism is well and thriwing. And some people believe they are better than others and deserve more just by being "better".

People that hold themselves to higher standards = Nazis?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Spiider

Well there is a difference between saying you are an elite and people that dont want to dumb things down and lower their standards.

Doesnt make them elitists, just they get tired of the poor quality games where everything is handed to them, paths are told, story is given, and you are led around on a leash everytime you log in. Im no elitist, but im tired of the sub-par games being pumped out that requires no brain function whatsoever to beat.

No one here can say the industry is doing great with these cookie cutter games. We have have had more games go f2p, shut down, companies sold/bankrupt, and even worse this past 2 years than the entire length of the mmorpg history. Just saying.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

The question is kinda moot to those who wouldn't make the cut. Also I think it's obvious that whoever bothered taking, passing and exceeding the prerequisite IQ test is interested in playing the MMO, unless he simply wants to know his IQ.

Of course all I said misses the point if the goal of this thread is to weed out those who think they have higher IQ than the mass MMO players.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I'd be game but under these conditions. 

The publisher and development staff must take it prior to developing the game. I'd also require the publisher to take and pass a code of ethics exam. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Trueforral1Trueforral1 Member UncommonPosts: 35

I would probably not play a game that forced an arbitrary IQ test on its players just to weed out the undesirables. Mainly because it further promotes the kind of elitist behaviour that has been plaguing online gaming for years. This would basically build a community of entitled twats, thinking they are above the rest of the mmo-world due to their incredible intelligence.

In truth I'd would rather spend my time alongside a somewhat dull-witted person, I would practically need to take by hand and explain everything to, as long as he's humble and of cheerful personality, than spending my time along someone intelligent but socially inept, having to put up with the classic lectures on how to play the game, and being told you have to do things in a certain order for peak efficiency, have a certain build, and use a particular piece of equipment because otherwise I'd be inferior statistically, and gods forbid that!

Low IQ most certainly isn't the problem in MMOs.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I, for one, would not play such a game.  I spend most of my day having to solve a wide variety of problems, and already have to spend even more learning new things and moving forward to work my way up the financial ladder to improve the quality of life and opportunities for my family.  Gaming is a disconnect from that.  If I enjoyed taking tests that much I'd just take some college classes for fun.

I will gladly play with all the dummies and bring myself "down to their level" in order to avoid that scenario.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
     Also I think it's obvious that whoever bothered taking, passing and exceeding the prerequisite IQ test is interested in playing the MMO, unless he simply wants to know his IQ.

Not necessarily. There are plenty who just want to be part of something exclusionary. Hell, look at the suggestions that regularly get put forth on these forums. Elitism isn't about what one likes but about excluding others from what they might like.

Look at the poll - 68% said Yes. No information was given about the theme, genre, gameplay or features. Their answer is based on one sole piece of information - an IQ gate.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87
    And what would it achieve ultimately? There'd still be trolls, griefers, newbs, jerks, spammers and even bot after a while. I don't think it would screen even a noticeable portion of that community, because as frustrating as it sounds, the average troll is usually slightly above average IQ. (Source: Troll A documentary)
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Maybe this is an alternative idea:

Why not make the game sufficiently intellectually challenging and immune to cheating so the content itself acts as a gene pool filter?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.