Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Dynamic Events ARE revolutionary, I can't wait till they are evolutionary!

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by FelixMajor

To the OP, if you find that event to be impressive, wait til you get to the larger chain events that can take upwards an hour to complete...those are epic and the most fun I personally have in the game even if you join half way through!

Like the one you have to take out the massive ogre camps, I forget which area it was in, but the event gets more intense as it goes on until you take out their war cheif.

Aye, DE beat any MMO i have played so far (for leveling and as PvE endgame content, instances are dull and so....claustrophobic, i mean youre shut in there with few randoms/guild and thats it, while even for dragon events that had crappy rewards there would be 30-50 people there every time i went, prolly more joined later but its hard to track lol)

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    I don't see how they're any more revolutionary than Rift's zone events.
  • Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

@OP

The problem here, chief, is that there's nothing revolutionary about them at all.

All the way back in Warhammer Online and Champions Online, we had public missions. Taking down the Mega-Destroid isn't that different than taking down the Shatterer. It's been done before and the thing is is that there were far too few of them in CO and WAR for them to be interesting, but a bigger problem is that in WAR, and in GW2, they both completely break if there aren't enough people doing dynamic events, and the event (or public mission) overwhelms the player. In Champions Online that isn't so much of an issue, because it has better scaling. Now, even in GW2, there just aren't enough dynamic events for them to be interesting.

Most of the events in GW2 are 'heart events,' what's a heart event? It's exactly the same as every other MMO fetch quest ever, except with [i] Mr. Quest Pick-up Guy and [?] Mrs. Quest Turn-in Lady removed. That's not revolutionary, that's a small evolution. But the problem is is that they also lack story because of this, so the things you do have very little motivation behind them, and you have to keep doing them over and over. This removes the illusion of not doing work even more than WoW does. The lack of variety absolutely kills GW2 in that regard.

Look at the variety of stuff on offer in other MMOs, even in CO, and you'll see why GW2 fails at variety. In CO I can hop in a flying vehicle and defend a flying air fortress from being downed; I can solve a mystery involving alien invaders; I can immediately join a boss battle with 10-20 or so people whenever I want, at any time, at any level (thanks to alerts); I can fight a mad scientist as a giant; in a hilarious Godzilla-like battle; I can pilot a Robot of Doom around; I can help drones repair an ailing submarine underwater; I can work with the leader of a group of heroes to bring down a plan to unite all the gangs of a particular city (and the plotline for this is highly entertaining); and I can do lots of other things. The fact of the matter is is that the content I play in the same amount of GW2 is boring by comparison.

In GW2? I can kill things; I can kill some more things; I can rez some guards; I can kill some things; I can kill some things; I can fetch some things; I can interact with something which changes the skills on my bar cosmetically; I can kill some things; I can kill some things; I can fetch some things; I can fetch some things; I can rez some guards; and I can kill some things.

See the difference, here?

So, no. To me, 'dynamic events' read as 'an excuse for the developers to not provide varied and interesting content.'

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

@OP

The problem here, chief, is that there's nothing revolutionary about them at all.

All the way back in Warhammer Online and Champions Online, we had public missions. Taking down the Mega-Destroid isn't that different than taking down the Shatterer. It's been done before and the thing is is that there were far too few of them in CO and WAR for them to be interesting, but a bigger problem is that in WAR, and in GW2, they both completely break if there aren't enough people doing dynamic events, and the event (or public mission) overwhelms the player. In Champions Online that isn't so much of an issue, because it has better scaling. Now, even in GW2, there just aren't enough dynamic events for them to be interesting.

Most of the events in GW2 are 'heart events

And there I stopped reading the rest.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Because you have a low tolerance for reading? Really, you supply no reason as to why you stopped reading, and making text red doesn't magically provide one.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I keep hearing people talking about Dynamic Events and how they are just like Rift's rifts, or Warhammer's PQ's, but I don't see the similarity at all.   The DE's in GW2 are extremely revolutionary.   Rifts just seem to be random occurances of mobs all over the map, and that doesn't sound revolutionary at all, nothing like GW2 Dynamic Events.

Both DE's in Rift and GW2 are built like WARS. Easy content to conquer in the first wave, followed by increasingly difficult content in subsequent waves. In this way, all three game's DEs have a similar structure. So Rifts DE's are, in fact,  'something' like GW2s.

But you are absolutely correct, rifts are random and can happen anywhere on the map, some times a few, sometimes a lot, sometimes an invasions worth. You have no idea when they will occur or where or how it will effect the flow of what you were doing previous to the rift appearing. 

GW2 DE's are static. They are the same tape on the same loop in the same spot with the same dialogue every time; much more like WARs than Rifts- and that doesn't sound revolutionary to me. 

And a simple point to further illustrate: 

Make a human. The first DE in GW2 you come to is absolutely EPIC. Yep. This new revolutionary, game changing feature, showing their mastery of ingenuity contained in this fantasical world of swords and magic and monsters is introduced to you by.....wait for it:

Feed some cows.

The future is now.......

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Because you have a low tolerance for reading? Really, you supply no reason as to why you stopped reading, and making text red doesn't magically provide one.

Your wall of text explains it nicely.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by mikahr

Incase you haven't noticed Torgrim would cut off his right arm before admitting the game has any flaws.  Best to take his comments with a pinch- well, bucketload- of salt.  

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Says the guy who can not formulate one proper sentence with proper reasoning and loves to make up stuff as he goes.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by ScaryMonk

Incase you haven't noticed Torgrim would cut off his right arm before admitting the game has any flaws.  Best to take his comments with a pinch- well, bucketload- of salt.  

It is just a matter of time before he dissappears. We already got rid of Creslin, Kerrigan and other "Fans", hate always beats fantatism. Deletion of accounts seem to be the way they decide to give up.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Can we just give it up already?

It's marketing drivel. Same drivel you get from any/ever other corporation on the planet.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

GW2 has plenty of flaws so does all games.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

It is just a matter of time before he dissappears. We already got rid of Creslin, Kerrigan and other "Fans", hate always beats fantatism. Deletion of accounts seem to be the way they decide to give up.

When we are all gone, who would you troll then?

Besides I will never delete my account, never understood why people do that.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

I keep hearing people talking about Dynamic Events and how they are just like Rift's rifts, or Warhammer's PQ's, but I don't see the similarity at all.   The DE's in GW2 are extremely revolutionary.   Rifts just seem to be random occurances of mobs all over the map, and that doesn't sound revolutionary at all, nothing like GW2 Dynamic Events.

Now I know that there are all sorts of people going to tell me how wrong I am. I've seen how people react to words, and especially words that might show GW2 in a positive light.  And I'm sure that none of them actually care if  nobody says anything, but they sure care if someone says that they like the game. It's just a negative world for many people, and they  feel compelled to "keep the optimism in check"

The DE's in GW2 are very revolutionary. Take for example, one of the norn Dynamic Events in the starting area.  It starts off with a norn woman wanting to collect wyrm eggs for food. Now she asks everyone in the area to help by retrieving as many wyrm eggs as possible, and she will use the eggs to make some food for everyone. Needless to say, she needs a lot of eggs, and the more people that take part, means she will need even more eggs. Once she has enough, she will say so and then give people a chance to bring the last of the eggs they've collected to her.  Yeah, thats right, she doesn't just stop and leave, she gives everyone a chance to participate even though she's reached her quota.

Then she goes back to the lodge to prepare a wondrous meal for everyone, but the scent of the eggs attracts wyrms to the lodge! Yes, this is a lodge with NPC vendors and everything, and everybody has to help fend off the wyrm attack! The attack almost seems endless as wave after wave of wyrms attack the lodge. The bodies of wyrms, and norn litter the ground in front of the lodge.  And once the assault is finally over, the eggs are ruined and the woman has to admit that it might not have been such a good idea to collect all those eggs. Another norn comments that the fight was magnificent (LOL! That is sooo norn) and before long the woman decides to go collect more eggs, and the event has gone through it's full revolution. Full circle, so to speak.

That is why I say that GW2 Dynamic Events are revolutionary, but what I'm really looking forward to is when they become evolutionary. When an event chain matures to not always come back to the exact same point. Maybe it will still have the potential to return to it's original point, but I would like to see multiple return points to start off from, as well as multiple outcomes. 

I can't wait to see where the genre moves to next.

So your saying if you stayed on this so called dynamic event that each time that it becomes available its different? During my 30 levels of GW2 play a dynamic event is no different than a daily quest in that it repeats the same thing over and over and over...

Where as the rifts that open in Rift vary in both creatures and locations and can get out of control if left alone. I played both games buth neither till end game but I would say that Rift has a leg up as far as dynamic goes.

Originally posted by trenshod

Now I know that there are all sorts of people going to tell me how wrong I am. I've seen how people react to words, and especially words that might show GW2 in a positive light.  And I'm sure that none of them actually care if  nobody says anything, but they sure care if someone says that they like the game. It's just a negative world for many people, and they  feel compelled to "keep the optimism in check"

The DE's in GW2 are very revolutionary. Take for example, one of the norn Dynamic Events in the starting area.  It starts off with a norn woman wanting to collect wyrm eggs for food. Now she asks everyone in the area to help by retrieving as many wyrm eggs as possible, and she will use the eggs to make some food for everyone. Needless to say, she needs a lot of eggs, and the more people that take part, means she will need even more eggs. Once she has enough, she will say so and then give people a chance to bring the last of the eggs they've collected to her.  Yeah, thats right, she doesn't just stop and leave, she gives everyone a chance to participate even though she's reached her quota.

Then she goes back to the lodge to prepare a wondrous meal for everyone, but the scent of the eggs attracts wyrms to the lodge! Yes, this is a lodge with NPC vendors and everything, and everybody has to help fend off the wyrm attack! The attack almost seems endless as wave after wave of wyrms attack the lodge. The bodies of wyrms, and norn litter the ground in front of the lodge.  And once the assault is finally over, the eggs are ruined and the woman has to admit that it might not have been such a good idea to collect all those eggs. Another norn comments that the fight was magnificent (LOL! That is sooo norn) and before long the woman decides to go collect more eggs, and the event has gone through it's full revolution. Full circle, so to speak.

That is why I say that GW2 Dynamic Events are revolutionary, but what I'm really looking forward to is when they become evolutionary. When an event chain matures to not always come back to the exact same point. Maybe it will still have the potential to return to it's original point, but I would like to see multiple return points to start off from, as well as multiple outcomes. 

I can't wait to see where the genre moves to next.

Where as the rifts that open in Rift vary in both creatures and locations and can get out of control if left alone. I played both games buth neither till end game but I would say that Rift has a leg up as far as dynamic goes.

Rifts are on timer and on fixed location and most Rifts closes itself if It's left alone to long.

Some Rifts send out patrols, not all.

Please, for my entertainment, can you name some of them?  Just a top 10 will do.  

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by trenshod

So your saying if you stayed on this so called dynamic event that each time that it becomes available its different? During my 30 levels of GW2 play a dynamic event is no different than a daily quest in that it repeats the same thing over and over and over...

If you're staying on one event chain you're basically doing it wrong. There are tons of chains that you can come across as you level on up to 80. Check YouTube for many examples and the varieties between them.

Rifts are, from what I hear, just Rifts. I've heard complaints that they get in the way of people trying to do static quest content (I've never played Rift personally). 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Please, for my entertainment, can you name some of them?  Just a top 10 will do.  

Oh pick me I will!

1. Lack of end game

2. Lack of meaningful progression

3. Lack of actual PvP

4. "Evolving" zones that think moving a few rocks is evolving

5. Lack of any semblance of balance between classes

6. No real goals

7. Forsaking giving lots of tools for the sake of balance

8. Story was linear, and cookie cutter

9. Lack of trinity

10. Lack of real PvE content

Honestly it's all opinion anyway, but those would be my top 10, mostly in order, of why I quit after 3 months. This game has a ton of polish, but it has flaws just like any game you will play. I still feel like I got my money's worth, and its really awesome one day in a few months I can just pick it up again. There are a lot of good things about GW2 as well other companies should learn.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Hmm... I can name a few I think. Keep in mind these are personal opinions.

1. Culling in WvW still needs to be removed. Having enemies appear out of nowhere surrounding you can be unsettling, and people are getting far too good at exploiting the culling issues. They're working on it though, with the ultimate goal of removing culling altogether.

2. Trebuchets placed on Garrison can reach the walls of Bay. Personally I think this has a tendancy for people in that borderland to "care less" about that map as opposed to the other two more easily defendable ones (where your base forts are Garrison or Hills). 

3. I'd like to see more armor skins and have a line of exotic armors available in WvW.

4. An in game LFG tool would be a nice touch.

Hmm.. meeting in 5, I'll see if I can think of more later.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Oh pick me I will!

1. Lack of end game

3. Lack of actual PvP

6. No real goals

9. Lack of trinity

Honestly it's all opinion anyway, but those would be my top 10, mostly in order, of why I quit after 3 months. This game has a ton of polish, but it has flaws just like any game you will play. I still feel like I got my money's worth, and its really awesome one day in a few months I can just pick it up again. There are a lot of good things about GW2 as well other companies should learn.

Hmm... let me look these ofer quick before the meeting...

1,2,3 - false

4 - Huh?

5, 6 - false

7 - Huh again?

8 - Duh, it's a story towards a goal, defeating Zhaitan. 

9 - That's a major benefit, not a falw

10 - false

Again, opinions.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Phry
    They may have more detail than Rifts dynamic events, but that doesnt really alter the fact that Rift created the concept. Maybe Arenanet took that idea and ran with it, but ultimately, it was Trion that brought about that revolution, if you can call it that. Whether it will catch on and evolve into something more in other games remains to be seen, i kind of hope it does. image

False.  ANet was working on them before Rift was released.  Trion is a decent company, but basically they're known as the guys that made yet another WoW clone.

Dumb.

i had the idea 23 years ago........

Point: Release date is all that matters.  Maybe instead of an attack against Trion you could like some proof that ANet was doing this before....wait...damnit...WAR had it's PQs..how far back was ANet working on these?....

*rubs temples*

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I agree with Aeonblade.

Also Volkon, I like how you say it's just opinions, but you're directly responding to his opinion by calling them "false". How can an opinion be false?

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Volkon

Oh pick me I will!

1. Lack of end game

3. Lack of actual PvP

6. No real goals

9. Lack of trinity

Hmm... let me look these ofer quick before the meeting...

1,2,3 - false

4 - Huh?

5, 6 - false

7 - Huh again?

8 - Duh, it's a story towards a goal, defeating Zhaitan. 

9 - That's a major benefit, not a falw

10 - false

Again, opinions.

I know its opinions, maybe u can give them depth by giving examples, so people know what you both are talking about.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Vapors

Oh pick me I will!

1. Lack of end game

I found myself spending a lot of time sitting around waiting for something to happen. I know other people enjoy what GW2 has to offer, but I can't stand sitting around in a game.

I like stats. I like making numbers go higher. This is not the game for someone like that.

3. Lack of actual PvP

WvW was fun at first, but it lost it's luster pretty quick. That coupled with a lack of reason makes the PvP seem rather stale

I really never could tell where the zones where changing much doing the quests for each area. Others say they noticed but I really didn't notice much, and I was pretty excited about this.

DIAF Mesmers.

6. No real goals

See No.1. Looking back I realize this is pretty much the same answer, Apologies.

Nowhere near enough unique abilities. I just felt like I didn't have enough to do with my hands sometimes.

Was not very impressed, really expected more out of the story since it lacks trinity and actual dungeons.

9. Lack of trinity

Pretty self explanatory.

I like running dungeons and PvE progression. bottom line is this is just not the game for me, even though I love PvE and PvP fairly equally.

I know its opinions, maybe u can give them depth by giving examples, so people know what you both are talking about.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.