Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Which payment model is ideal for ESO?

Comments

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.

like WoW and TERA right?

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by eimaiego

People want p2p and a mature community but the thought that the game will die in few months doesnt come to their mind.

Low population ruins the game, many aspects of the game fail because of this.

High populations of cheapskate nubs ruins games as well.

or low populations of suckers who pay monthly subs for very average games that don't give you any new content.

If your game is weak, then no payment model is going to save it. Pirates of the Burning Sea is one example. Sub didn't work. Hooking up with SOE didn't work. Being on Steam didn't work. Going Free-to-Play didn't work.

TSW had a 300% population increase when it went b2p, b2p is a healthier business model.

I disagree. If the game is done well and catered to what the players want the sky is the limit. You will make so much more money than a B2P model it is not even funny. 

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    The sub model is dead, this game will be B2P.

That is your own personal belief and not fact bub. Show us your statistical flow charts please.

Every new mmo releasing is either f2p or b2p. The mmo's that used be sub based are either going f2p(Tera) or b2p(TSW). Planetside 2 f2p, neverwinter will be f2p, firefall will be f2p. The only games that are sticking to the sub model are indie title because they really need the money.

Which indie games are these?

darkfall, mortal online, pathfinder online.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

That is your own personal belief and not fact bub. Show us your statistical flow charts please.

Every new mmo releasing is either f2p or b2p. The mmo's that used be sub based are either going f2p(Tera) or b2p(TSW). Planetside 2 f2p, neverwinter will be f2p, firefall will be f2p. The only games that are sticking to the sub model are indie title because they really need the money.

Pathfinder won't be P2P

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Originally posted by Waldoe

People want p2p and a mature community but the thought that the game will die in few months doesnt come to their mind.

or low populations of suckers who pay monthly subs for very average games that don't give you any new content.

If your game is weak, then no payment model is going to save it. Pirates of the Burning Sea is one example. Sub didn't work. Hooking up with SOE didn't work. Being on Steam didn't work. Going Free-to-Play didn't work.

TSW had a 300% population increase when it went b2p, b2p is a healthier business model.

I disagree. If the game is done well and catered to what the players want the sky is the limit. You will make so much more money than a B2P model it is not even funny. 

More people will buy the game if it has no sub, there are elder scrolls fans who don't play mmorpg's because they think paying a subscription for a game you've already bought is stupid, which it is.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.

like WoW and TERA right?

I can't speak for TERA, as I haven't tried it, but there's a lot more in WoW to attract younger ages than the business model alone. The entire game screams "cute" and "try me". In the first years postlaunch I can tell you that, in Europe at least, the server PvE communities were much more mature. Don't know about the PvP communities, sive PvP tends to attract a type of player that is....well, different from the PvE player.

Originally posted by boxsnd

Pathfinder won't be P2P

it's pay to beta

this is actually very true. 

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

The sad part is he has a point. Why do I still pay for EQ1? I guess even after all these years kiting with my druid never lost it's luster. It's not like they are pouring out new content with a new expansion every year or 2.

Like I said though, Rift is a good example of how to do sub based in the F2P age. ESO will have a much larger following than Rift at launch.

Trust me, Rift won't be P2P in a few months.

I'll believe it when I see it. Just another doom and gloom post like the ones people have been saying for 2 years. Sorry, unless you have some kind of source, it's just not gonna happen. Server populations are high. Storm Legion was a huge hit. Maybe in 1 to 2 years, but a couple of months is just silly.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Hope it will be SUB based. 

F2P relys to much on "convenience" monetization, in the east it is to buy power which is easily monetized in the hyper competative asian markets. The only real way to monetize "westerners" is conveniece which really never grabs the whales that F2P hopes to land...

B2P? in a game like this? you would expect to see DLC for every little thing and nickle and dime you to death with content that should have came with the game... You want B2P go get Skyrim or another single player game...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

Pathfinder won't be P2P

it's pay to beta

Yeah but at launch it'll be sub/F2P like swtor.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Originally posted by Wighty

F2P relys to much on "convenience" monetization, in the east it is to buy power which is easily monetized in the hyper competative asian markets. The only real way to monetize "westerners" is conveniece which really never grabs the whales that F2P hopes to land...

B2P? in a game like this? you would expect to see DLC for every little thing and nickle and dime you to death with content that should have came with the game... You want B2P go get Skyrim or another single player game...

how is buying DLC nickle and diming someone but paying 15 dollars a month isn't? At least DLC gets you something for your money, you can sub for months to an mmo without getting any new content.

lmao @ Rift...come out shit talking the competition yet never reveal how well your own game did. from 100 servers down to 8 in  a year...with all this lauded content, lol. and the 8 us servers open now only 4 get past medium at peak times...they could chop it down to 5 servers and be fine...right on the heels of an expansion. rofl.

EoN was soo bad in beta they shelved it...lmao @ TRION. i guess the way to do P2P in the F2P age is to talk a lot of shit and have nothing to show for it?

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

More people will buy the game if it has no sub, there are elder scrolls fans who don't play mmorpg's because they think paying a subscription for a game you've already bought is stupid, which it is.

This is some pretty fail logic. They are already going to get a good sized crowd of MMO players that will buy the game. That is a no brainer regardless of how much love/hate you see on this site. ANY player they get to even just buy the game that is an Elder Scrolls fan, but never played an MMO is just pure gravy to them. 

So they have a chance to reel in more than just the MMO base of players that most games don't have the luxury of doing because this game is based in the world of a popular non MMO series.

Originally posted by Wighty

how is buying DLC nickle and diming someone but paying 15 dollars a month isn't?

good question. lol, the grandaddy of em all(EQ) did BOTH. 

lmao @ Rift...come out shit talking the competition yet never reveal how well your own game did. from 100 servers down to 8 in  a year...with all this lauded content, lol. and the 8 us servers open now only 4 get past medium at peak times...they could chop it down to 5 servers and be fine...right on the heels of an expansion. rofl.

EoN was soo bad in beta they shelved it...lmao @ TRION. i guess the way to do P2P in the F2P age is to talk a lot of shit and have nothing to show for it?

Typical inflammatory hater incoming! Oh my god someone tank him! Jesus christ he's in the healers! Oh wait it's a 14 year old with a complex, never mind, we are cool. If you don't like a game don't play it, but you can't deny Rift beat everyone's expectations for something the kiddies called a WoW clone.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

F2P at launch is not fitting from what I know and have seen so far. ESO if done well should warrants a P2P model, if mismanaged or poorly done though it will go the way of SWTOR but hopefully with a more appropriate cash shop. Not really one that warrants B2P even though I really like the B2P model. 

Though this all based on what I know now so it is subject to change as more information and videos are released. 

Typical inflammatory hater incoming! Oh my god someone tank him! Jesus christ he's in the healers! Oh wait it's a 14 year old with a complex, never mind, we are cool. If you don't like a game don't play it, but you can't deny Rift beat everyone's expectations for something the kiddies called a WoW clone.

typical fanboy response to a true statement.

Yes I'm a fan boy because of the success of a company you dislike. Hard facts hurt, almost as much as your half baked response.

P2P would be ideal and if it's worth it that would be great for all parties involved. however the chances of them not making it a slam dunk are too vast. best bet is B2P base with optional "mebership". 
    P2P would be ideal and if it's worth it that would be great for all parties involved. however the chances of them not making it a slam dunk are too vast. best bet is B2P base with optional "mebership". 

This we can agree on, Good show my fellow!

Wow went 8 months without any new content updates, so 8 x 15$ = no content.

Yes I'm a fan boy because of the success of a company you dislike. Hard facts hurt, almost as much as your half baked response.

...success? RIFT flopped, EoN flopped in BETA, Defiance will flop soon, a Korean sanbox not made in house will be their most successful game....

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I would rather a game rob me right up front with a sub than try to be sneaky about it with crap from a sub shop or restrictions that need to be paid to access.

Originally posted by Fearum

I would rather a game rob me right up front with a sub than try to be sneaky about it with crap from a sub shop.

at least you have a choice to be robbed or not.