Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Which payment model is ideal for ESO?

boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

Zenimax hasn't decided yet on a payment model, let us give them our opinions.

Don't answer as a customer (we all would want to pay nothing of course), answer as if you were the owner of Zenimax and wanted to make the game financially successful.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I want TESO to attract a mature audience, so I voted P2P.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    P2P Subscription. It's the best way to avoid 75% of MMO asshats.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    P2P, if I wanted to hang out with peasants I would get the bus to work ;)
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Have you played wow?

Originally posted by Galadourn

P2P doesn't make the community any more mature.

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227
    P2P, poor people suck.
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Have you played wow?

Yea, At first I was thinking closer to 50%, but my optimism got the best of me. Just can't stand the attitude of most F2P game jumpers.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

If I were zenimax I would opt for B2P, you can recoup major costs through box sales. All the previous TES games relied soley on box sales and they continued to support those, so I imagine box sales would be great. Also creates to opportunity for deluxe and limited edition boxes which go for $100 - $250 depends on what's inside.

Then adding a reasonable cash shop with cosmetic items and a few creature comforts (as long as they don't infringe on gameplay it will make money.

As a player, yes I would like free. P2P only if the game is the next WoW will will be with me for the next 5 years. Otherwise I prefer to have the option to come back anytime without cost.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Box + subscription hoping for critical mass and growth after launch, with pre-planned F2P (item shop or freemium) or B2P (box + item shop) conversion for when the population starts dropping.

I think this is just about optimal for a game that doesn't go directly F2P or B2P.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Sub all the way baby. Bethesda is a big AAA company, and (afaik) is funding it in-house (meaning no venture capital guys to pay off in a quickie F2P scam). No cash shop, but if you must, keep the microtransactions to a minimum and only cosmetic (and also available with in-game money), and I'll start thinking better of Bethesda.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Sub with no shop.. this is how mmorpgs should be..

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

As far as ive heard from interviews with the devs.. they are kinda decided to go B2P together with an cashshop.

I doubt nowadays alot of companies will touch the sub model... even though cashshops usually tend to lead to P2W quite quickly.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Sub with no shop.. this is how mmorpgs should be..

QFMFT

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Rusque
    "as long as they don't infringe on game play"

Unfortunately this is never true, with the exception of gw1.

Look at gw2, sure its not like these Asian pay to win mmos, but there's huge gold sinks in there to encourage people to buy gems, especially WvW where you need to either spend time doing boring stuff like grinding pve mobs or fork out to pay for it.
  • FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227

You just joined and have over a thousand posts?? You clearly have no job, so I see why your a FTP advocate. ;)  

Hopefully B2P so the game i actually buy will be mine and not just on rent.
    Hopefully B2P so the game i actually buy will be mine and not just on rent.

I could do B2P and a small (cosmetic ONLY!) cash shop. If they start selling gear and stuff in the shop, ugh. Will lose a lot of faith.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Not in itself, but it raises the possibilty of attracting older players which, in turn, increases the possibility of having a more mature audiene.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    P2P with no crap shops.
  • WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

No reason for it to be anything other than a Sub fee. 

F2P is not this super successful model that all the bums make it out to be. The game going F2P that was formerly subscription is a sign that it is failing.

I am more than glad to pay 15 bucks a month for a game that is maintained well and updated fairly often.

Originally posted by Fishmitts

You just joined and have over a thousand posts?? You clearly have no job, so I see why your a FTP advocate. ;)  

Actually im a b2p advocate but i see your p2p communities maturity levels are declining with every post you make.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

I'm surprized so many want sub. Personally, I would go B2P with a cash shop. It's one of the few things GW2 got right.

Going P2P in 2013 is a huge risk, either you win it all (WoW) or you lose it all (almost everyone else).

B2P on the other hand can make even average games like GW2 financially successful, and give them time to improve even after launch.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Sub
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    B2P with or without cash shop. If it's another monthly sub game that converts to freemium within a year, the chances of my buying it at release plummet close to 0 unless I get to play it in beta and it completely blows me away.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Originally posted by Fishmitts

Actually im a b2p advocate but i see your p2p communities maturity levels are declining with every post you make.

Hey hey hey, let's not lump all of us together, besides I find your posts entertaining even if I would rather have it P2P lol.