Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oculus Rift and online gaming

mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

If anyone doesnt know Oculus Rift coming soon and will change forever the way we play games. Every person who tested it says it is revolutionary and brings jaw dropping immersion (for mere 300$ price). There is downside tho. Current games are not made to play in virtual reality, and main obstacle is UI. All those hotbars, minimaps combat text scroll, other stuff - its will ruin immersion.

I think its time for MMO devs start looking for new UI types, made to be compatible with VR headsets. 2013 will be turning point for gaming, and they cant ignore this.

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta Online would work really, really well with this (see entry #2 in that last link).

/2c

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

What? The $300 is not a downside?

You can be damn sure that games made specifically for this UI will not come until this product becomes mainstream. Not before.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Honestly I am really exited to try this, I might buy it JUST to try it...

..BUT having said that, I think the practicality is somewhat limited... I deffinetly don't think you are going to sit down to play Halo or WoW or Minecraft for 3+hrs and wear it.

...users over long periods of time have noted extreme vertigo. 

But its a cool tech, and like most things..I may have to get one just to try it.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I'd think that it would just need support for your standard stereoscopic 3D.  The immediate trouble is that it's a very recent standard, with only DirectX 11.1 and OpenGL 4.2 or later supporting it.  The number of significant OpenGL 4.2 or DirectX 11.1 games on the market that I'm aware of is currently zero.  In order to use stereoscopic 3D otherwise, you have to do some stuff to work with proprietary things like Nvidia 3D Vision and AMD 3DHD.  And proprietary means that you have to do separate work for different hardware, which is cost++;

Eventually we'll get there with most games having access to industry standard APIs that support stereoscopic 3D.  But we're not there yet.  Incidentally, OpenGL 4.2 means Radeon HD 5000 series or later and GeForce 400 series or later, while DirectX 11.1 means Windows 8 and Radeon HD 7000 series or later and is not yet supported by any Nvidia cards.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I'd think that it would just need support for your standard stereoscopic 3D.  The immediate trouble is that it's a very recent standard, with only DirectX 11.1 and OpenGL 4.2 or later supporting it.  The number of significant OpenGL 4.2 or DirectX 11.1 games on the market that I'm aware of is currently zero.  In order to use stereoscopic 3D otherwise, you have to do some stuff to work with proprietary things like Nvidia 3D Vision and AMD 3DHD.  And proprietary means that you have to do separate work for different hardware, which is cost++;

Eventually we'll get there with most games having access to industry standard APIs that support stereoscopic 3D.  But we're not there yet.  Incidentally, OpenGL 4.2 means Radeon HD 5000 series or later and GeForce 400 series or later, while DirectX 11.1 means Windows 8 and Radeon HD 7000 series or later and is not yet supported by any Nvidia cards.

They already have a couple of games that work with the rift, so I'm not sure what you are talking about "hardware-wise"

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

You can do a few games to work with a proprietary standard.  But how much would the Oculus Rift really be worth if only a few games will ever work with it?

What you really want in order for it to be accepted is for most games to work flawlessly with it.  That's not going to happen so long as there are several competing ways to do stereoscopic 3D, and a game designer who wants to make his game work with stereoscopic 3D has to do several independent things to make it work with different proprietary standards.  If the tools for stereoscopic 3D are built into the graphics API that you're already using to make the game and you don't have to do much additional work to make stereoscopic 3D work properly on everything, then a game designer is a lot more likely to implement it.

That's coming, but it's not here yet.  It will require either a major shift to OpenGL to the degree that newer games don't use DirectX that much anymore, enough time to pass that few people use Windows 7 anymore, or Microsoft to decide to port back DirectX 11.1 to older versions of Windows.  I don't think the last one will happen unless Microsoft fears the first one.  The second one is a long time off.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm fairly certain VO is compatible with OpenGL 4.2 and Direct X 11.1 (at least, I think that's what Fully DirectX and Fully OpenGL Compatible mean); I'd like to get the final word from one of the devs on this.

The game is also going through a $100,000 Kickstarter campaign.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Originally posted by Phaserlight

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm fairly certain VO is compatible with OpenGL 4.2 and Direct X 11.1 (at least, I think that's what Fully DirectX and Fully OpenGL Compatible mean); I'd like to get the final word from one of the devs on this.

The game is also going through a $100,000 Kickstarter campaign.

It probably is.  I'd assume that the game is rendered on a desktop and then it merely streams the completed frames to the Oculus Rift itself, like it would to any other monitor.