Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext release this year?

Comments

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Phry
    Not quite sure where i read it, but hasnt SOE now stated that EQ next is now planned for a 2014 release ? image

No.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    EQN is using forgelight like ps2
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by tixylix

Originally posted by ice-vortex

Originally posted by tixylix Well SOE always rushes their games to launch, even Planetside 2 released a broken mess and now the game has lost so many players there are hardly any big fights any more, plus they need to merge servers badly. We kept telling them in beta that the meta game was broken, the balance was way off, the base design sucked, the weapons all felt the same etc etc.  They don't listen, they never learn.
    1.6 million registered users with 750,000 users logging in each week isn't by any definition 'lost so many players'. I log in regularly and always find big fights.  Also, the game isn't 'broken' by any means. Honestly, what it sounds like is that you're one of those burned Planetside 1 players that complain because it's not Planetside 1.
    It's dying, I see it with my eyes, most the time the servers are low and only ever reach medium. Look at the forums to see how broken it is, I've played it since beta until December and it's a mess of a game.   You watch by the Summer no one will be playing.

It's a free to play shooter game, I never expected it to do as well as a succesdful mmo.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    As much as I'd like to believe it, you need to keep in mind old John also first said PS2 would be launching in Q2 2010. And that's true.

Planetside 2 at the time was also meant to be an expansion for Planetside 1, not a new game, and they decided to move it to their Forge Light engine.

Your feeding the notion then that EQNext could easily be a 2014 or later release, if Planetside 2 was a project that was slated for a 2010 release yet it was taken back to the drawing board on multiple occassions to ensure a much fuller gaming experience then the same could be true for EQNext.

I'd love EQNext to come out this year, and a part of me is hoping it will, but we all know how these things slip, we even have things happen that can see a game get canned when it's about to get out of the door, I still remember UO2 and how pissed off I was when after all those years of following it it suddenly got cancelled with EA telling us all they where going to concentrate on their original IP instead, the same could easily happen here and the tech they've been using implemented into a new EQ1/2 expansion, now that would be a kick in the balls.

There are plenty of high calibre games coming out to keep us all occupied while Smedley does his thing, I'm happy and patient enough to wait for him to do his work.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

all information have been able to get my hands on seems to indicate that there is no release date for 2013, but that by the end of 2013 it should be possible to at least pre-order it..  to be honest, their being very cagey by the looks of things, are are refusing to commit to a 2013 release date, maybe in a few months SOE will release a bit more information.

As my first real MMO was EQ and i played it for years, i really hope they do the things they are promising to do, even the facial controls being webcam driven, sounds pretty cool tbh..  image

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

The problem with John Smedley is that he has not learned the fundamental lesson of WoW.  That is, if you make a really good game, people will line up to spend money on it.  You won't have to scheme and plot to pick the players' pockets. They will gladly give you money.  Even today, with all the F2P games, millions and millions of people are still willing to pay a monthly subscription to play WoW.

John doesn't get that.  To him, the first goal of every game is to figure out how he is going to squeeze a nickel here and a dime there.  The game is secondary.  He recklessly chases every trend, every niche, like a kid with a butterfly net.  

Everquest is a powerful IP.  Lots of people like it.  Hell people are STILL playing it.  If John cared about the franchise, and if he understood WHY people like it, he could make a new version of it that would sell like hotcakes. 

But he is so wrapped up in how he is going to get people to pay for a game they haven't even seen yet that this is going to be another fiasco.  

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I ALWAYS believed if they just updated EQ with better graphics and upgraded systems it would be a hit.  To this day there is no game like EQ.  Content. Exploration.  Immersion.  Nothing.  Of course thats MY personal opinion, ymmv ;-) but you get my point.

I was surprised when I read this as well.  I agree it can be done and can be done well especially with the long lead time they have had.

My thought is if the game is more "player-generated" (however SOE defines that) it could let the release come early since no (major) developer-generated content would be needed.

I can imagine they just launch  a new updated 'Norrath'.  A bunch of inter-dependent systems.  And let the players loose in it.  It'd be up to us to make things happen.   Could piss some players off but I actually like an idea like that.

Lets see what you got Smed... 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

if true that would be awsome but sad... would be a year of too many new MMOs lol

Does not matter how many MMO come out this year EQ has vast pulling power, we are not talking GW here. If the game is done right then many people would drop what they are doing to play, such is the pull of EQ.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Amathe

The problem with John Smedley is that he has not learned the fundamental lesson of WoW.  That is, if you make a really good game, people will line up to spend money on it.  You won't have to scheme and plot to pick the players' pockets. They will gladly give you money.  Even today, with all the F2P games, millions and millions of people are still willing to pay a monthly subscription to play WoW.

John doesn't get that.  To him, the first goal of every game is to figure out how he is going to squeeze a nickel here and a dime there.  The game is secondary.  He recklessly chases every trend, every niche, like a kid with a butterfly net.  

Everquest is a powerful IP.  Lots of people like it.  Hell people are STILL playing it.  If John cared about the franchise, and if he understood WHY people like it, he could make a new version of it that would sell like hotcakes. 

But he is so wrapped up in how he is going to get people to pay for a game they haven't even seen yet that this is going to be another fiasco.  

What are you talking about?

So in effect you think that just redoing EQ1 would be the best course of action here? Despite of the fact that in the recent years many games copying that formula have tumbled down and failed hard? And why would they want to cannibalize on the remaining playerbase of EQ1 anyway?

No, the only sensible thing to do here is to go for something totally different. And it seems that's exactly what they are doing - pushing for a very player driven experience and not trying to compete with WoW on the field WoW is the strongest at (and that is being a polished themepark MMO).

Originally posted by AwDiddums
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    As much as I'd like to believe it, you need to keep in mind old John also first said PS2 would be launching in Q2 2010. And that's true.

Planetside 2 at the time was also meant to be an expansion for Planetside 1, not a new game, and they decided to move it to their Forge Light engine.

Your feeding the notion then that EQNext could easily be a 2014 or later release, if Planetside 2 was a project that was slated for a 2010 release yet it was taken back to the drawing board on multiple occassions to ensure a much fuller gaming experience then the same could be true for EQNext.

I'd love EQNext to come out this year, and a part of me is hoping it will, but we all know how these things slip, we even have things happen that can see a game get canned when it's about to get out of the door, I still remember UO2 and how pissed off I was when after all those years of following it it suddenly got cancelled with EA telling us all they where going to concentrate on their original IP instead, the same could easily happen here and the tech they've been using implemented into a new EQ1/2 expansion, now that would be a kick in the balls.

There are plenty of high calibre games coming out to keep us all occupied while Smedley does his thing, I'm happy and patient enough to wait for him to do his work.

Planetside 2 was moved to an entirely different engine in a year. EQNext has been developed ground up on the same engine.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    if true that would be awsome but sad... would be a year of too many new MMOs lol

Does not matter how many MMO come out this year EQ has vast pulling power, we are not talking GW here. If the game is done right then many people would drop what they are doing to play, such is the pull of EQ.

As much as i distrust SOE for the things they've done in the past, and not so distance past at that.. i have to agree, regardless of how things end up, i'd probably have to buy EQ Next myself, just in case.image

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

yeah.

i'd buy it.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Phelcher

I would say early 2014...!

Coincidentally, I have a hunch that EQNext, will bring back the premium subscription format.. as EQNext will be a premium adult game, geared for people who are willing to pay for a Role-playing, open sandbox-style game.

It will also need a hefty computer to push it, so knowing who Smed's chasing...  those peeps have no prob upgrading their system, not for these Veteran MMORPG'ers (40 & up crowd), who also has no prob dropping $20/month on a game.. you have to have...! (thats less the the cost of a decent cigar)

My hope^ anyways...  (though i hear things)

Did you even read the article I linked?

Yes, but irrelevent...   like I said, I hear things...

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Everquest already has a WoW-like themepark in the form of Everquest 2. I don't think it was in their interest to compete in a market that is already bloated with a lot of competitors including the upcoming TESO which has a much more significant IP than EQ ever had when they could till new ground in a corner of the MMO market that is largely unexplored. They already said their motivation to move the development of EQNext to sandbox was watching what happened with Rift and SWTOR.

Coincidentally, I have a hunch that EQNext, will bring back the premium subscription format.. as EQNext will be a premium adult game, geared for people who are willing to pay for a Role-playing, open sandbox-style game.

It will also need a hefty computer to push it, so knowing who Smed's chasing...  those peeps have no prob upgrading their system, not for these Veteran MMORPG'ers (40 & up crowd), who also has no prob dropping $20/month on a game.. you have to have...! (thats less the the cost of a decent cigar)

Voices in your head?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DamonVile

The last time I remember reading about a game being developed in an incredibly short amount of time was vanguard. Even though it was in development for years they had almost nothing to show for it. When Sony took over, they had it out the door in 9 months and....look how that turned out.

I hope this game isn't going to follow in it's footsteps. We don't really need any more games that could of been great.

Vanguard began development in 2002 and was released in 2007, it had an exceptionally long development time which is one of the reasons Microsoft dumped it. SOE became the publisher in 2006, but Sigil maintained full control of development and funding. It wasn't until about four months after the game released that SOE purchased Sigil and Vanguard with them. Brad McQuaid admitted that the game wasn't ready and that it got released based on a lack of funding, but that had absolutely nothing to do with SOE as the deal they made with SOE kept Vanguard completely independent.

Yup that's what the wiki says. But if you followed the game back then and saw what they'd actually done in those 4 years you'd know what I was talking about.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Everquest already has a WoW-like themepark in the form of Everquest 2. I don't think it was in their interest to compete in a market that is already bloated with a lot of competitors including the upcoming TESO which has a much more significant IP than EQ ever had when they could till new ground in a corner of the MMO market that is largely unexplored. They already said their motivation to move the development of EQNext to sandbox was watching what happened with Rift and SWTOR.

Voices in your head?

Everquest will be a premium game...  and people will want to pay $20/month to play... I can see littel kids getting jobs, because their parents cannot afford their evercrack addiction..

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Yup that's what the wiki says. But if you followed the game back then and saw what they'd actually done in those 4 years you'd know what I was talking about.

I followed Vanguard for years

SOE was only the publisher until Sigil did their "crash and burn" and needed saving

theres whole history of commentary on Silky Venom - especially when it was announced that SOE was the co-publisher

http://www.silkyvenom.com/pages/devtracker/index.php?go=posts&get=thread&fromsite=1&id=51141

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    To me anything to do with EQ lore cant lose . I  am looking foward to this game more than any off the rest.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

If you know the history of SOE and what happened to some of their games (like SWG) you are highly skeptical of anything that comes out of their PR department. 

But then you listen to what Smedley said when he told you that he put the kabosh on the first two EQ Next designs, citing that while they were both good games and worthy of being Everquest....they just really did not advance the game like it should have when he compared it with EQ2.

If they followed the same old SOE thinking, EQ Next would basically be a better looking version of EQ2.  So another quest hub, themepark, barter fest MMO that you can solo to max level and sit in a lobby to join instances to run 50 times over before moving on to the next expansion.  There are dozens of MMOs that do that.

He said he decided to make the switch to more of a sandbox type of game because that is how he saw the MMO gaming community going, and he was right.

It's ironic that the company that utterly destoryed Western Sandbox MMOs could very well be the company that resurrects them.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I saw this thread last night and I think my heart skipped a beat. Sounds pretty good like some form of it will be released late this year. Really looking for more information on what the specifics of their vision of a sandbox is.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I hope this means we will get some information very soon.. Like screenshots and possibly gameplay are at least a fly over video of the world.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

$OE survives purely on dev talent. They have demonstrated the ability to crank out major, quality, compelling content in a very short period of time (months).

$OE epic fails, however, at leveraging their products, targeting 1% of the player base with the excuse that 'oh nos we can't have more than one code base.' A few tweaks or alternate server styles could have brought in a much broader audience.

Originally posted by Amathe
    The problem with John Smedley is that he has not learned the fundamental lesson of WoW. That is, if you make a really good game, people will line up to spend money on it. You won't have to scheme and plot to pick the players' pockets. They will gladly give you money. Even today, with all the F2P games, millions and millions of people are still willing to pay a monthly subscription to play WoW. John doesn't get that. To him, the first goal of every game is to figure out how he is going to squeeze a nickel here and a dime there. The game is secondary. He recklessly chases every trend, every niche, like a kid with a butterfly net. Everquest is a powerful IP. Lots of people like it. Hell people are STILL playing it. If John cared about the franchise, and if he understood WHY people like it, he could make a new version of it that would sell like hotcakes. But he is so wrapped up in how he is going to get people to pay for a game they haven't even seen yet that this is going to be another fiasco.

Sadly, Amathe is probably right. But one can still hope.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

$OE

You are an inspiration for originality.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

If you know the history of SOE and what happened to some of their games (like SWG) you are highly skeptical of anything that comes out of their PR department. 

But then you listen to what Smedley said when he told you that he put the kabosh on the first two EQ Next designs, citing that while they were both good games and worthy of being Everquest....they just really did not advance the game like it should have when he compared it with EQ2.

If they followed the same old SOE thinking, EQ Next would basically be a better looking version of EQ2.  So another quest hub, themepark, barter fest MMO that you can solo to max level and sit in a lobby to join instances to run 50 times over before moving on to the next expansion.  There are dozens of MMOs that do that.

He said he decided to make the switch to more of a sandbox type of game because that is how he saw the MMO gaming community going, and he was right.

It's ironic that the company that utterly destoryed Western Sandbox MMOs could very well be the company that resurrects them.

I would be surprised if they develop a game that was even a 1/2 sandbox.    

Smedley quote of the week:

GameSpot: Last question, John. What's the one lesson from your two years of seeing Star Wars Galaxies being played, that you wish you knew sooner?

JohnSmedley: That straight sandbox games don't work. And that we needed to focus much more on the Star Wars experience. I think in the past, what we probably made was the Uncle Owen experience as opposed to the Luke experience. We needed to deliver more of the Star Wars heroic and epic feeling to the game. I think we missed there. That's what I think we really brought to the game [with the update].

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    Banking on this game, but thinking it's gonna be around Q4 2014 for launch tbh.

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !