Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext release this year?

Comments

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Aww, I was hoping it would be B2P.

I have to stay away form SOE f2p cos they give me a headache.

Nickel and dime every fk thing, quite lame.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Keep in mind that this IS dear old Smed... If he said the sky was blue, I'd walk out side and check... ^^  EQN has been in development how long now?

Last 2 pages of the Everquest 10 year anniversary book (mainly last paragraph)

http://www.everquestnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/eq25_1.jpg

http://www.everquestnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/eq25_2.jpg

Would indicate that the game has been in development since 2009 if not earlier. So its been in development for atleast 3 years now.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by xmenty

Aww, I was hoping it would be B2P.

I have to stay away form SOE f2p cos they give me a headache.

Nickel and dime every fk thing, quite lame.

Havant seen the PS2 payment model have we.

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58

we Have 9 months before SOE Live if they do it in Sept.  so given 8 month to work on it they should have something. heck they add new stuff to EQ & EQ2 in 8 Month if not a little more. but how big is this suppost to be hopefully they can make 10 to 15  land Zones or as many as EQ Antonica Zones then add the rest later it will be good.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zlvlchart.html not counting the 90 Zones

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    EQNext won't be released in 2013. It is just not realistic. Release in second half 2014 is far more likely. If we are lucky they will have some type of mini demo ready by SoE live in the fall of 2013.
  • plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    wow that's a surprise, i was thinking next year at the earliest, maybe even early 2015. If Smedley telling the truth then i am certainly one happy bunny :)

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Well SOE always rushes their games to launch, even Planetside 2 released a broken mess and now the game has lost so many players there are hardly any big fights any more, plus they need to merge servers badly. We kept telling them in beta that the meta game was broken, the balance was way off, the base design sucked, the weapons all felt the same etc etc. 

They don't listen, they never learn.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Its not a question of if it can be done that quickly, but if it can be done well that quickly. As with all things you really cannot judge it till you get hands on, but my gut tells me full on releasing with little to no beta period is a huge mistake. Either that or its being made for such a specific audience that they have very little chance to get much wrong.

it have been their practice for years by now, not showing their game untill about 3 months prior to release, with a month or 2 of beta testing, then release it when it is "almost ready", or at the point of quality that they expect most customers can accept...not just forum nerds.

so can expect there to be afew things that need to be adjusted after release...and they still adjust things every single year in EQ2 so actually I think they see it as a reason to not care to "finish it 100%" since they have to adjust abit continually over the years anyway....just my guess the last part.

either way looking forward to see what they have done to make "players the content" in EQ3.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    He already said back at the last SOE Live that there would be a playable demo at SOE Live 2013. Seems reasonable to assume that he's just referring to that again.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Yeah it will just be a playable DEMO not beta or the full game..
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680

What people do not understand is this.  75% of making a game is coding the game engine to do what you want and how you want it.   They already did this people they made the Forgelight engine for EQ Next not PS2 it was used for PS2 because it was already developed and it fit what they wanted.  Also they didnt scrap EQ Next based on the game engine or art/lore  they scrapped it based on the game design and type all of that can be reworked and done with little to no recoding of the game engine.

If you have ever used any game engine you would know how they create stuff in game its a tool set just like Oblivion but more complex.    Will it be out in 2013 ?  Doubt it but PS2 came out pretty fast and it turned out great.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by tixylix

Well SOE always rushes their games to launch, even Planetside 2 released a broken mess and now the game has lost so many players there are hardly any big fights any more, plus they need to merge servers badly. We kept telling them in beta that the meta game was broken, the balance was way off, the base design sucked, the weapons all felt the same etc etc. 

1.6 million registered users with 750,000 users logging in each week isn't by any definition 'lost so many players'. I log in regularly and always find big fights.  Also, the game isn't 'broken' by any means. Honestly, what it sounds like is that you're one of those burned Planetside 1 players that complain because it's not Planetside 1.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I've never known SoE to hype up their games, it's one of their faults.

I've no doubt that Smedley is working hard to get EQNext out there asap but I just don't believe it's going to be out this year, sure you've got an engine but thats only a small part of what makes an MMO, surely the gameplay mechanics should take much longer to get in place and fully tested, plus add in the fact Smedley already tore up 2 builds, whats to say the same won't happen with build 3,4 or 5.

If EQNext has the daunting task of saving SoE I imagine that the team will only release a game that has the best chance of winning customers, not some half done product that is kicked out the door because of the competition, there will always be something else released that will clash with SoE's baby.

So I believe it will be early 2014 for EQNext to see a release.

Originally posted by AwDiddums

I've never known SoE to hype up their games, it's one of their faults.

I've no doubt that Smedley is working hard to get EQNext out there asap but I just don't believe it's going to be out this year, sure you've got an engine but thats only a small part of what makes an MMO, surely the gameplay mechanics should take much longer to get in place and fully tested, plus add in the fact Smedley already tore up 2 builds, whats to say the same won't happen with build 3,4 or 5.

If EQNext has the daunting task of saving SoE I imagine that the team will only release a game that has the best chance of winning customers, not some half done product that is kicked out the door because of the competition, there will always be something else released that will clash with SoE's baby.

So I believe it will be early 2014 for EQNext to see a release.

It's more than just an engine and the engine is more than just a small part. The game has been in development for over four years. This includes all the assets and meat of the game they have developed. The sandbox systems have been in development for over a year. I definitely think they are farther along than most people think and it is perfectly reasonable to see them release it this year.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    As much as I'd like to believe it, you need to keep in mind old John also first said PS2 would be launching in Q2 2010. And that's true.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Excited for the news! Though I am more hopeful for the upcoming information that I hope they intend to start rolling out. I think it's great to speak of release late this year, but I have been playing MMO's since UO and have so often heard these things and they don't come to fruition. It did sound very direct that it would be, yet, did they just not say a few months ago that they scrapped the entire game and had started over. Now bring on the game info...............!
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    As much as I'd like to believe it, you need to keep in mind old John also first said PS2 would be launching in Q2 2010. And that's true.

Planetside 2 at the time was also meant to be an expansion for Planetside 1, not a new game, and they decided to move it to their Forge Light engine.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    No, as i recall reading that they scrapped the whole 'blackbox' version and started over with the PS2 engine.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.

Planetside 2 was originally announced back in December of 2010 to be set to release in March of 2011, but was delayed to bring it to the Forge Light engine.

Smedley said, in April of 2011:

Recently (a few weeks ago actually) we made the call to update the game to a new internally developed engine. Doing that meant delaying the game, but we thought it was in the best interests of PlanetSide Next. It also means delaying releasing further info for a little while. I will let you all know more when we firm up the schedule. The likely next step is a larger scale release of information and the beta signups going up. As I've said previously current Planetside subs will be included automatically.

So it took about about a year and six months for them to move it over to the new engine and then release it.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

1.6 million registered users with 750,000 users logging in each week isn't by any definition 'lost so many players'. I log in regularly and always find big fights.  Also, the game isn't 'broken' by any means. Honestly, what it sounds like is that you're one of those burned Planetside 1 players that complain because it's not Planetside 1.

It's dying, I see it with my eyes, most the time the servers are low and only ever reach medium.

Look at the forums to see how broken it is, I've played it since beta until December and it's a mess of a game.

You watch by the Summer no one will be playing.

Originally posted by ice-vortex

It's dying, I see it with my eyes, most the time the servers are low and only ever reach medium.

Look at the forums to see how broken it is, I've played it since beta until December and it's a mess of a game.

You watch by the Summer no one will be playing.

You act as if Medium is somehow bad. It is Low during off-hours which isn't exactly shocking. People who whine on forums in any game are always the loudest and those are typically the former Planetside 1 players. What I see are Planetside 1 players that have a grudge against Planetside 2 because it isn't Planetside 1.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The last time I remember reading about a game being developed in an incredibly short amount of time was vanguard. Even though it was in development for years they had almost nothing to show for it. When Sony took over, they had it out the door in 9 months and....look how that turned out.

I hope this game isn't going to follow in it's footsteps. We don't really need any more games that could of been great.

Originally posted by DamonVile

The last time I remember reading about a game being developed in an incredibly short amount of time was vanguard. Even though it was in development for years they had almost nothing to show for it. When Sony took over, they had it out the door in 9 months and....look how that turned out.

I hope this game isn't going to follow in it's footsteps. We don't really need any more games that could of been great.

Vanguard began development in 2002 and was released in 2007, it had an exceptionally long development time which is one of the reasons Microsoft dumped it. SOE became the publisher in 2006, but Sigil maintained full control of development and funding. It wasn't until about four months after the game released that SOE purchased Sigil and Vanguard with them. Brad McQuaid admitted that the game wasn't ready and that it got released based on a lack of funding, but that had absolutely nothing to do with SOE as the deal they made with SOE kept Vanguard completely independent.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Fusion
    No, as i recall reading that they scrapped the whole 'blackbox' version and started over with the PS2 engine.

nope...the engine PS2 run on were made for EQ3...not to say they will be exact the same, but it looked like they thought they could release PS2 faster than EQ3, so finsihed PS2 first.

we heard of EQ3 and that they were making a new engine before PS2 were mentioned at all

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not quite sure where i read it, but hasnt SOE now stated that EQ next is now planned for a 2014 release ? image