Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's really sad...

That the best game out there with the best community ever is a game that is well over 10 yrs old. And that game is Asheron's 2 and it is really sad that after all these years developers have yet to come up with a game that can even touch the fun you will have in this game if you ditch the modern, wow mindset.

It's even more sad that there are not more people talking about this gem of a game here on the forums.

Give it a try ...you will be amazed...

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1/view/forums/thread/372492/Thinking-of-buying-this-game-Read-here.html

Comments

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I think you have to ask yourself...

AC2 came out well before WoW, yet failed.  Why is that?

While I don't want to rip on this game or say it's bad, you should probably consider the fact that maybe the game really isn't that enjoyable to a majority of the population considering it was unable to hold enough players to continue development.

Just like Vanguard, a select few (very few) really love and enjoy the game, but a majority of the population who played it at launch left quickly after. 

In both cases, people didn't leave because it was an amazing game they loved, they left because the game was lacking and there were likely better options.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah OP you are seriously reaching for straws to grasp and i played AC2 at release and for awhile after and have it now but havent logged in , in two weeks now because its still pretty damn boring honestly just like it used to be. In fact now the combat animations are skipping and the new crafting system that was added after I left sucks hardcore compared to the one at release as you have to grind and grind and grind now to do it. I enjoyed AC2 for awhile but trying to make it sound so epic with games that on a daily basis surpass AC2 overall population of all time is really grasping for straws.
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Well as an older games i have played about every new game that has come out since and although some were pretty good and shiny (Old WoW especially good) (until Blizzard ruined it's own game) No game since AC2 closed has provided me with as much fun and social content (very group friendly) as AC2 has. Maybe it's just me but I will wager if any new gamer tries this game and gives it half a chance will be very happy with thier choice. Yes new games have better graphics but pretty much all modern games have severly degraded the overall mmo gameplay experience to the point of not even being a multiplayer experience. I don't know how many game sessions with modern games have left me playing for several houers without any contack with other players whatsoever and feeling bland and all alone....
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah man its all just personal opinion because i played AC2 for awhile also and it had some pretty glaring issues back in the day like zero content but grinding mobs and vaults. I personally could not recommend any friends or gamers I know to AC2 right now with them not really doing any development on it other than server stability. Have they even still released any roadmap on plans yet? they were evasive as hell with that question when they relaunched the game in december. I honestly can say I had way more fun in both wow and warhammer online both newer games than I ever had in AC2 though I really loved the simplistic crafting and bartering system on AC2 at release. But lets be honest microsoft cut that game because it wasnt performing well at all and because they never were able to get a handle on server stability or population. Turbine though has always been slow as hell to fix and release anything worthwhile though which is too bad .
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Mis management no advertisement to early released lack of content first 6 months broken chat early days and community whine whine and whine+crying alot make the game fail.

Game is no matter what people say a real gem, mmo as it suppose to be a mix between sandbox open ended and little themepark.

No instance no guidance no ! above npc's head no marks on a map tell you where to go harsh enviroment mainly party game quest grind or dungeon.

Unique classes and races you will never see in any other game.

Very good skill tree that you can freely use with limited restrictions put xp in skills you think you need untrain when not satisfied.

Playing MUSIC in towns or on batlle grounds with many different music instruments and alot fun doing it.

After legions released in may 2005 game have enough content to last a longtime.

5 different races some realy unique.

Many different classes and hybrid classes and with unique tact class with turrests and wallls make fort and grind xp with fellow

Fellow up to 9/9 not the limited 5 or 6 from other games so np with classes needed if 4 spots for dps-tank-healer-debuffer(very importend in this game) still 5 spots left of other classes.

Solo is posible but party/fellow is where the game shines.

Huge open world still easy to travel.

Superb game that people should play you won't regret it but don't play if you want it to be like WoW or most other mmo's its different mmo then most out there.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by cronius77
     I honestly can say I had way more fun in both wow and warhammer online both newer games than I ever had in AC2 though I really loved the simplistic crafting and bartering system on AC2 at release.

With how insanely fast everyone rushed out of Warhammer (myself included) I just assumed no one enjoyed that game outside of the lowest level battlegrounds.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by cronius77
     I honestly can say I had way more fun in both wow and warhammer online both newer games than I ever had in AC2 though I really loved the simplistic crafting and bartering system on AC2 at release.

With how insanely fast everyone rushed out of Warhammer (myself included) I just assumed no one enjoyed that game outside of the lowest level battlegrounds.

This right here.

I've been really impressed with AC2 personally, although it was disheartening to hear about how elitiest some of the playerbase seems to be. I haven't been playing much lately (and even when I did I mainly soloed) so I rarely experienced that myself, but I've talked to quite a few people who just about quit because of it (or at least rolled a more "favorable" group class.)

I was also a bit disappointed at how hybrid specs are typically subpar compared to the specalized classes, at least in the hero level portion of the game, but hopefully that gets a little dev attention in the future.

Aside from that though, the game is a very impressive addition to the mmorpg genre, and it's a breath of fresh air for those of us tired of the copy/paste crap that's been peddled in the last couple of years. Only my opinion, of course.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I played AC2 when it came out and still like it, I just find it silly that they are charging 12.95 for such an old game, about half that would be right
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Played AC2 when it first came out, bought it on the basis of having been a AC1 player, that it would be more of the same except better graphics.. but it was a totally different game, disappointingly so.  AC2 went under because the gameplay just wasnt up to it, it wasnt just because it was so grindy, but the place was actually hideously empty compared to AC1, and i don't mean of players, but just .. anything, AC1 there was lot of wildlife etc, just going from one town to the next could be an adventure, not to mention the magic system in AC1 which at the time was really down to experimentation, the things that worked quite well in AC1 though were totally ignored in AC2, i think that was also one of the major factors as to why the game was shut down in the end, im more than a little surprised that a company has tried to ressurect it, personally i think their on a hiding to nowhere, and this is one festering corpse that should have remained buried.image
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Phry
    Played AC2 when it first came out, bought it on the basis of having been a AC1 player, that it would be more of the same except better graphics.. but it was a totally different game, disappointingly so.  AC2 went under because the gameplay just wasnt up to it, it wasnt just because it was so grindy, but the place was actually hideously empty compared to AC1, and i don't mean of players, but just .. anything, AC1 there was lot of wildlife etc, just going from one town to the next could be an adventure, not to mention the magic system in AC1 which at the time was really down to experimentation, the things that worked quite well in AC1 though were totally ignored in AC2, i think that was also one of the major factors as to why the game was shut down in the end, im more than a little surprised that a company has tried to ressurect it, personally i think their on a hiding to nowhere, and this is one festering corpse that should have remained buried.image

Now this is really sad :(

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806
    Originally posted by Phry

This is nothing more than ramblings from a discontent AC1 player, which we have seen so many times now - again, again and again. Time to start viewing AC2 from a little more objective angle?... Its like me going on to AC1 forum and complaining and stating that AC1 is not what AC2 is, because AC1's melee system is horrendous image

As a former AC1 player that left for AC2, I can say this. The magic system in AC1 is not better, just more complex. 

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Seillan

I've been really impressed with AC2 personally, although it was disheartening to hear about how elitiest some of the playerbase seems to be. I haven't been playing much lately (and even when I did I mainly soloed) so I rarely experienced that myself, but I've talked to quite a few people who just about quit because of it (or at least rolled a more "favorable" group class.)

It's as much disheartening as it is to hear you talk, no, THINK about it like it's AC2 specific. It's exactly the same as in ANY other MMO out there. Human+internet = too easy to not care about anyone but yoursef and your own time, which ironicaly is huge waste of time in itself when comparing gaming to RL.

Also, and I'm talking from experience, there is a BIG number of mature people who are beyond helpful and friendly.

I guess it's just a matter of finding those, or avoiding and ignoring those who you don't like - can you imagine!?

p.s. Sorry if I sound a bit angry, it's just how I like to write.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

That was one of the main reasons I left AC1. My main character was a battle mage. It got really tedious having to stop questing and spend about time to rebuff every 45 minutes, and if in a fellowship having to spend time buffing everyone else too. I like the fact that in AC2 all buffs are added to each member of the fellowship automatically. The last time I trried to give it a try, you had a buffbot right in the middle of the newbie town. Which leads to the other problem I have with AC1...

Macros! I had a patron who was about 10 levels above me. Then he got hold of a macro that allowed him to keep leveling while he was offline. I'm not into cheating and like to earn what I get, so that was the last straw. I've never taken the game seriously ever since.

The only macros in AC2 were either botts that healed vitae or portal bots, which I am fine with. I hated the death penalty in AC1.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    I played AC2 when it came out and still like it, I just find it silly that they are charging 12.95 for such an old game, about half that would be right

There is a problem with this line of thinking. The game has the same costs (servers, bandwidth, development resources, etc.) as newer games do.

People bring that up all the time, AC should cost less because it is older. They just seem to forget it costs money to keep games running no matter what their age. Given that AC1 still gets monthly updates instead of the game just sitting there with no updates, it really isn't correct to think it should cost less.

And although you may not be interested in AC1, you are in fact getting a subscription to 2 games currently for that $12.95.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Hahaha, funniest post ever.

Quick everyone, lets go play AC2, it's the next WoWKillah!

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Im well in my lvl 60+ and i can say what i experience today in AC2 2013 with community is what i have missed in last 8 years in all mmo's ive played from linegae2 up to Guild Wars 2.

Asheron's call 2 have still one of best community's ever.

Not only the uniquely GRATZ by whole server when someone become HERO also in groups people WELCOME you or gratz you when lvl GIVE items like weapons gear to get from total strangers.

People are WILLING sometimes to extreme to help you accomplish hard quests CHAOS FORGE its unbelievable how nice community is even this is one reasons why i keep playing.

ALWAYS grouping in AC2 quests or grind and people wait or help get your objective or get you to point if needed.

In AC2 community STILL CARES about other players(sure some elitists(rare)or douchbags but only few) ive not experience in 10th of other mmo's ive tried or played in last 8 years.

Not to mention the superb game it self with open dugeon huge open world no guidance almost sandbox like mmo that let you deside what to do not the game.

There are offcorse downsides as in every mmos but they dont out weight for me the positive side of this game and keep playing this wonderfull OLD SCHOOL mmo thats rightfully ressurected from the grave(btw also enjoyed by many ac1 players now)

AC2Forever!!!