Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burned out from every game I ever tried except DayZ and DFO. Suggestions?

Hello so as the topic suggests I have been extensively searching for a game that feeds my inner fun and addiction meters. Aside from DayZ and Darkfall, nothing else has really held me ever. 

RIFT, WOW, GW2, TERA, SWTOR, etc etc these are all games  that were all very popular and I was in beta for a few of them but they always seemed pointless. I play MMORPGs for player interaction, and to see the crazy shit that people can come up with. When everything is based on a story and hand-holding, it pretty much feels like an online singleplayer game with coop. Furthermore, the fact that these games are all tab target sickens me to my core. Its simply not fun when I'm not aiming. When I shoot a gun IRL I have to aim. Nobody aims for me and if they did it wouldn't be fun. Why would it be any different online? My mouse is my gun.

So the thing I realized is that for some reason only FPS targeting and full loot appeal to me. When I log into an MMO I guess my brain deviates from the norm and I start thinking how boring and mundane it will be while I finish X quest or X instance to level my char. And for what? If I can't fight against people for loot there's really no drive for me to improve because oh well I just died boo hoo. And if I wanted to fight mobs or monsters I could just go play a singleplayer game. 

I log in for the adrenaline rush. So for example in games like DayZ and DFO they were so addicting to me because I logged in and I NEVER KNEW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. Nothing was really fixed player wise. I remember I could go to Copperdale (a city) in DFO and find people fighting skeletons. Then the next day I went and stumbled upon a crazy 2v2 with guys in full scale - keep in mind I just started the game in chain mail armor. So I simply hid behind a rock and waited for them to duke it out. Finally two guys remain and one of them goes to chase the other and I pop out of the bush and run and loot the crap out of the two graves. 

The feeling of running to the bank in full panic mode was indescribable. I actually had a scale armor set and an awesome sword. For days I would just look at it in my bank, scared to take it out. And what the future held? Who knew. It was possible I put it on and died to a mob. Or I sold it. Or I might have equipped everything and went to kill another player who had on scale armor as well, netting me x2 sets. I don't remember. The point is, SO MANY VARIABLES!!!! 

I would just go on random runs in the world of Agon just scouring for tombstones. You see, when a player dies his tombstone is there until somebody retrieves it. So there were times I would find 1000g (which was like 3 days farming for me) and just be insanely happy and try to sneak to the nearest bank. With DayZ it was the same thing that feeling that I could kill or be killed at any time, constantly on guard and paranoid just like I would be in a dark alley in real life. 

You see, that is the true meaning of freedom. For person X this could happen, while person Y could experience a completely different chain of events. 

No games like Planetside 2 or Age of Wushu or Path of Exile currently capture that feeling for me that I could actually go out there and stumble upon something epic that I could potentially witness, attack, run away from, loot, etc. Its really unfortunate because people seemingly like these games for their complex systems but my fun automatically dips to 0 when I realize that everything I do is without emotion due to that primal instinct of survival being absent. 

Are there any games that fill this void? Apart from DF and MO I have come up empty for the past 5 years. 

Thanks.

Comments

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Darkfall: Unholy Wars.

Get in beta if you aren't already.

Otherwise, ArcheAge will be full loot?

I believe Path of Exile will have full loot leagues.

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Lustmord

Darkfall: Unholy Wars.

Get in beta if you aren't already.

Otherwise, ArcheAge will be full loot?

Hey thanks for the suggestions. 

i am actually in beta but so far its very meh to be honest.

I don't think Archeage is full loot unless you know for sure (?) but regardless hell I'll settle for consensual PvP as long as you can build a house. Was actually wondering if any other games fell under my radar. 

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

http://uoforever.com/

bam bitch. I just saved your life.

It's a private UO server using a ruleset from back when the game was good. Also, it's free. Also, it's UO the way it's supposed to be and UO > all.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    have u tryed PoE yet? path of Exile...if u liked D2 then this game will make your day

• CrimsonSixCrimsonSix Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

I have come up empty for the past 5 years. 

I think it might be time for a new hobby.

PS

Ahhh, I love it when a person who's tried every other AAA game in the past 5 years comes to the forum looking for - maybe, just MAYBE - this one awesome game that fits his interests and that he somehow missed. Nope, you didn't miss any gems in the rough. The MMO market is what it is, there are no hidden treasures here, and If you haven't found a game that makes you happy yet, it's time to move on to a new past time.

• lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149
    give game a rest and go do other things then you will realize which game you miss most and then go back to it...it happens its a cycle.
  • DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by CrimsonSix

I have come up empty for the past 5 years. 

I think it might be time for a new hobby.

PS

Ahhh, I love it when a person who's tried every other AAA game in the past 5 years comes to the forum looking for - maybe, just MAYBE - this one awesome game that fits his interests and that he somehow missed. Nope, you didn't miss any gems in the rough. The MMO market is what it is, there are no hidden treasures here, and If you haven't found a game that makes you happy yet, it's time to move on to a new past time.

Unfortunately until killing and looting people in real life becomes legal I still feel the need to kill. Sort of like a virtual dark passenger. 

Originally posted by JeremyBowyer

It's a private UO server using a ruleset from back when the game was good. Also, it's free. Also, it's UO the way it's supposed to be and UO > all.

Sounds pretty cool will check it out. UO though? Lol. Talk about classic.

Originally posted by Dantae87
    have u tryed PoE yet? path of Exile...if u liked D2 then this game will make your day

That I have and while its a decent game for people who like dungeon crawlers the endless killing of hordes of mob with barely any rest tired me out quickly. Plus the PvP currently has no risk or reward until they introduce cutthroat. So basically what it boils down to is me killing mobs and bosses for items I don't really need for anything player related. Which is pretty much a singleplayer ARPG with chat. Don't get me wrong ARPGs are cool but Dark Souls did it better IMO.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyer

Sounds pretty cool will check it out. UO though? Lol. Talk about classic.

I'm not gonna lie to you it is a DATED game in the graphics department, but it's got it where it counts man. It's the original sandbox mmo and nobody has even come close to it since. DFO came closest but it had a lot of things I didn't like about it... and it was a no-man's land.

UO is full loot with open world pvp. It has guild vs guild pvp, just regular old killing people in the woods to take their stuff pvp and it has FACTION pvp. The good kind... not WoW faction pvp.

Oh... frickin.... animal taming. Like ACTUAL animal taming. Like you can walk around with a pet parrot and a pet leopard or you can go tame a couple of dragons and have them do your bidding. And non-instanced customizable housing where you can set up a vendor and sell crap.