Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what is the publisher's impact?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
So what is the publisher's impact?

With all this exciting talk about Trion World and Archeage.

Well I was wondering, how much of an impact the publisher has on the game.
Since a game like Archeage is being developed by a different company, but is only getting published in the west by Trion World, what kind of effect does a publisher have on that game.

Because I ask this,
WoW, one of the most popular Western MMOs, is published in the east by some other company. only major change is the item shop model, which is still Blizzard ran.

Another topic that comes up often when we talk about Publishers, is the Devil itself. you know what I am talking about, I dont even want to spell its name. (for those still trying to figure out who I am talking about, well put together the fifth and first alphabet together).

But usually when talking about how the devil impacts the MMO's it publish, people talk about publishing differently. because people say EA greatly changes the way the game is developed, which seems different from what Blizzard's eastern publishers do. (crap I said "EA",,, oops I said EA again. oh crap.... forget it)

So what impact does the Publisher have on the game?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i'd assume it would all depend on what rights the developer signs away when the papers are signed.. could be anything from just boxes and advertising to full creative control..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

At least in this one unique respect, my perception is that TRION Worlds has demonstrated that they value quality, whereas the "Devil" *cough* *gag* EA *choke* is all about the bottom line.  Quality is barely in third place compared to quantity, marketing ploys to drive more sales (Mass Effect 3's DLC at launch for example), and overall profit in EA's hands.

Now that those filthy bastards at Infogrames/Atari have dried up, EA is the new "Everything they touch turns to sh*t" publisher.

I hope TRION doesn't prove to be the same, but so far they've proven quite the opposite.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think we should put it to the test. Let's take one of the bigwigs from EA to the top of a building, and then we'll put some of their more prestigious titles on the sidewalk....

JUST KIDDING! Don't ban me for plotting or anything.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.