Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext release this year?

ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
A new article written around what was an interview with Smedley brought an interesting piece of information on the Everquest Next release.

EverQuest Next was a black box project for years - and it was only last month that Smedley and the team showed it to the EverQuest and EverQuest 2 teams. Smedley says he was so nervous the night before the presentation that he couldn't sleep - but that both teams received it enthusiastically.

Players will have to wait a bit longer to try it themselves, but maybe not as long as you'd expect. "Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta," says Smedley.

Comments

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

I noticed the interesting choice of his words as well. I am quite excited and hopeful.

*Note* Before the naysayers get in and say that it cant be done that fast. The assets have been in development since 2009, the engine is in place, which are the two time consuming and money intensive items in development cycles. The game went back to the drawing board on the design level not on the art direction or engine used, thus it is very possible that the game will be launching this year.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Nay I say!
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

WoW, good news. I hope it ends up be a sand box like he's been promising and hope its good too.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Its not a question of if it can be done that quickly, but if it can be done well that quickly. As with all things you really cannot judge it till you get hands on, but my gut tells me full on releasing with little to no beta period is a huge mistake. Either that or its being made for such a specific audience that they have very little chance to get much wrong.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    if true that would be awsome but sad... would be a year of too many new MMOs lol

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    I speculated before that it would follow close to the Planetside 2 timeline which was revealed in GDC of 2012, beta started in August and it was released in November. It may not be exactly the same, but I could see it being similar.
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Its not a question of if it can be done that quickly, but if it can be done well that quickly. As with all things you really cannot judge it till you get hands on, but my gut tells me full on releasing with little to no beta period is a huge mistake. Either that or its being made for such a specific audience that they have very little chance to get much wrong.

My feeling is that it will go into Beta in July or August and will launch in Nov or Dec. Which with an effective Beta Schedule ~4 months should be adequate for bug squashing. I could be wrong, but this is my prophecy for the future! :)

Edit: LOL Ice-Vortex, we had the same thought.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

SoE has had it in development for some time already (map, world, art, items/equipment, interface, engine etc likely complete / near complete), as noted, so I would not be surprised to see it on shelves this Christmas.  Also EQNext is going up against ArcheAge, both of which are sandbox-style (hybrid) games.

Any AAA sandboxy game coming out ahead of the other will potentially have a significant advantage.  So marketing comes into play .. maybe even if EQNext isn't exactly ready, it very well could still be released this year.

The Repopulation fits in too as well, although more sci-fi.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

It should also be pointed out that a lot of the engine bugs have been getting squashed since Planetside 2 went in beta back in August. There is a major advantage when you develop your own in house engine meant to be used on all of your games.
    Originally posted by Saryhl

My feeling is that it will go into Beta in July or August and will launch in Nov or Dec. Which with an effective Beta Schedule ~4 months should be adequate for bug squashing. I could be wrong, but this is my prophecy for the future! :)

Thing is, if that is the case, I would expect more of that hypetrain to be built by now. They would have revealed more than just a small press release. Doing a reveal with a full on trailer rather than just "hey guys, we makin a new EQ!" would do much more.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

Thing is, if that is the case, I would expect more of that hypetrain to be built by now. They would have revealed more than just a small press release. Doing a reveal with a full on trailer rather than just "hey guys, we makin a new EQ!" would do much more.

It would but at the same time we have seen the hypetrain fail games completely as well. Planetside 2 didnt have a huge hypetrain going for it til closer to release, and perhaps playing it that way is the better way?

It would but at the same time we have seen the hypetrain fail games completely as well. Planetside 2 didnt have a huge hypetrain going for it til closer to release, and perhaps playing it that way is the better way?

SOE hasn't been big on the hype train for awhile now. Their latest Everquest 2 expansion was announced two months before it was released.

They've stated previously that they didn't want to reveal EQ:Next until it was completely ready to be revealed. Smedley said back in November or December it was almost ready to be revealed, but they had one more thing they wanted complete before they show it off and that thing was almost completed itself. I have a feeling they don't want people to ripoff their ideas before they can release the game itself.

Developers are not split as a community though. They talk and have friends that work for a variety of other studios. If its something that awesome you can bet the other studios already have a solid idea of it.

Developers are not split as a community though. They talk and have friends that work for a variety of other studios. If its something that awesome you can bet the other studios already have a solid idea of it.

Developers are under NDA. They can talk if they want fired.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Would be surprised given how quiet they've been about the game. Guess we'll see.

I really really hope they don't rush it into a garbage release though.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Would love to know more about it and it would be great if it is this year if the game is actually ready. From what I heard previously it was an extremely small team working on it.

On another note when is mmorpg.com going to actually give us forums for it.......

It is almost like they are anti SOE(understandable) and pro Bioware/SWTOR

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Would be surprised given how quiet they've been about the game. Guess we'll see.

I really really hope they don't rush it into a garbage release though.

If you read the rest of the article, you see where Smedley said they are betting the future of their company on EQ:Next. So I hope for their sake it isn't garbage. However, I am not completely against them releasing a smaller scaled game that slowly expands. The idea that a game needs every ride is a themepark concept. Sandbox and sandpark games are much more flexible as their primary features are the systems themselves that let the players entertain themselves.

Originally posted by ice-vortex

Developers are under NDA. They can talk if they want fired.

Even being under NDA have you never seen the dev parties from confrences/expos/shows? No studio was surprised when Trion released that Rift was based heavily on dynamic content to the public. While I am sure that absolute facts have not been passed around whatever the gimmick mechanic of the game is has already been discussed if only as a hypothetical to guage what the other developers think about it.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    How can they sustain an mmorpg with numbers like they are getting in PS2 with the F2P system? If they only have 750000 people playing a week and only roughly 10% buys anything, how is that gonna pay for anything? I don't see it lasting long if that is how they plan to work it. And being a sandbox, how does F2P work in that type of game? Would it be like P2W?
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Keep in mind that this IS dear old Smed... If he said the sky was blue, I'd walk out side and check... ^^  EQN has been in development how long now?
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Can't wait! I hope they have many race choices with many starting areas/towns like other EQ games. They are the best at making worlds that feel like worlds. 
  • PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I would say early 2014...!

Coincidentally, I have a hunch that EQNext, will bring back the premium subscription format.. as EQNext will be a premium adult game, geared for people who are willing to pay for a Role-playing, open sandbox-style game.

It will also need a hefty computer to push it, so knowing who Smed's chasing...  those peeps have no prob upgrading their system, not for these Veteran MMORPG'ers (40 & up crowd), who also has no prob dropping $20/month on a game.. you have to have...! (thats less the the cost of a decent cigar)

My hope^ anyways...  (though i hear things)

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Originally posted by Phelcher

I would say early 2014...!

Coincidentally, I have a hunch that EQNext, will bring back the premium subscription format.. as EQNext will be a premium adult game, geared for people who are willing to pay for a Role-playing, open sandbox-style game.

It will also need a hefty computer to push it, so knowing who Smed's chasing...  those peeps have no prob upgrading their system, not for these Veteran MMORPG'ers (40 & up crowd), who also has no prob dropping $20/month on a game.. you have to have...! (thats less the the cost of a decent cigar)

My hope^ anyways...  (though i hear things)

Did you even read the article I linked?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Exciting news, if it sucks, its free and oh well, but hoping it is great.  Just wish it was a sub model, I hate the idea of p2w, hopefully if it stays f2p, then they make it so it is not p2w.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    When do we get a EQ Next forum?