Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion to Publish Archage!

Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

Comments

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409
    sweet, trion is a great company so glad they got it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Cool. Glad they got a publisher. Even more glad it isn't NCSoft or EA.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    I might give this game a look now.  I kind of assumed this game wouln't make it to the US -- or worse, get picked up by EA.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    sweet, trion is a great company so glad they got it.

Agreed. This should bode well for all.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    I don't really care who publishes it as long as it's not something bad like f2p companys, but at the end of the day we will probably still be waiting months for patch translations etc. Sad truth about games from korea.
  • NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    holy manoly! this is really great news.. as stated, trion is a great company that have proven themselves through RIft's rapid updates. The minor downside is the customer support serivce which has been a bit slow, but overall a good choice!
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    They are probably the only MMO publisher naive enough to agree to charging a monthly fee.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    They are probably the only MMO publisher naive enough to agree to charging a monthly fee.

Yeah, how thoughtful of them to think of gamers like me who like the subscription model, especially in light of how most if not all of the F2P converts have gone down hill in quality since the switch.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Yeah, how thoughtful of them to think of gamers like me who like the subscription model, especially in light of how most if not all of the F2P converts have gone down hill in quality since the switch.

Except it doesn't matter about gamers like you, because p2p models just aren't viable as anything more than really small niche titles that can subsist on a low subscriber base. New games just cannot release under p2p and except to have any kind of success. Even Trion has realized this with games like Defiance not having a monthly subscription and End of Nations being f2p.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    OK that is great news!  Makes me even more excited for this game.  :)
    Originally posted by DMKano

Well they do have a B2P game coming out in April - Defiance has no monthly fee. So maybe not that naive?

Could the opposite be true? Maybe they know exactly what they are doing....

I am aware. I just speculated simply because I could see a new Korean company being absolutely clueless about the state of the MMO market in America and looking for a publisher that would be willing to release it as p2p whether it was a good idea or not. Right now we don't know if NA ArcheAge will be p2p or f2p.

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    Not a fan of Rift, but there is no doubting that Trion work bloody hard to deliver updates and content and have about the best customer service out there. 
  • AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Archeage can be niche and still be successful so long as it has its Korean player base to fall back on.

I would rather subscribe to a niche p2p Archeage rather than bother even downloading a compromised f2p Archeage.
    Originally posted by AticusWelles
    Archeage can be niche and still be successful so long as it has its Korean player base to fall back on.

I would rather subscribe to a niche p2p Archeage rather than bother even downloading a compromised f2p Archeage.

Whether something is successful or not is decided by the company itself. If they aren't getting enough profit from a game, they will change to the new model regardless. I would rather have the publisher going into the game expecting to make the game fit in a f2p model than it to be a half-assed conversion to f2p after I payed $60 for the game and a monthly fee for however long it lasts.

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129

Except it doesn't matter about gamers like you, because p2p models just aren't viable as anything more than really small niche titles that can subsist on a low subscriber base. New games just cannot release under p2p and except to have any kind of success. Even Trion has realized this with games like Defiance not having a monthly subscription and End of Nations being f2p.

What a load of horse manure.  Ftp is a sign of a games demise.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    I hope there's no IP restriction on this one.....
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

The transition to f2p has kept p2p games that failed on that model from just having their servers shutdown.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

The transition to f2p has kept p2p games that failed on that model from just having their servers shutdown.

If the game sucks that sub players wont stick around, going f2p doesnt make the game 100% better lol.

The games still suck, its just allows people like you to play for free, not better quality.

Everyone thinks f2p is so great and the future. In actuality the games just suck and we dont want to pay for them. You people live in a delussional world. 30 cents a day is pocket change. And for a good game backed by a good publisher, ill be happy to pay up.

p2p games just arent viable? WOW has 10 million of them lol. Eve has 500k which is still damn good. Rift has 300k. Aion had over 2 million. And many more out there. These are people that make the game companies money. Your f2p games may have 1-2 million active accounts but 5% pay any money.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Teala
    OK that is great news!  Makes me even more excited for this game.  :)

EA buys Trion.  lol!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Oh wow, this is really good news. I can't wait to see how this turns out!
  • OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    This is pretty much the best outcome i could hope for, i love that they got us in EU also. As we only have crappy publishers ourself.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    grats to Trion, hope it works well for them.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by NaughtyP
    Cool. Glad they got a publisher. Even more glad it isn't NCSoft or EA.

Yeah it sure looked like  a game one of those two would end up with alright.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

I am happy Trion got this.

Could not have gone to a better publisher to be honest.