Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HardCore mode (dayZ, D2, etc) opinions?

bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

I don't know what it is that attracts me to the 'hardcore' mode in games.  I suppose it is the idea that there are no second chances, and if I am not at the top of my game, I'll suffer for it.  Perhaps it is my 'alt-itis' or my OCD nature to min / max and every time I have to reset, I try to think of new builds or ways to be a better player 'this time'.

What do you all think?  Is there a market for a hardcore only game?  I mean real hardcore, no second chances, no running back to your body.  If you die, its over.

Of course that would seem unfair to people with latency, or if there was PvP involved... but if that was just part of the game, would people accept it?  What about in tournaments?  In a 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3, if a player actually died, and didn't get revived by their team mates, they would actually lose their character, and all their gear.

Would that be a fun game, or would people hate it?

What are your opinions and ideas about hardcore mode, and do you think there is a place for these types of games?

Comments

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

as for me as a non-pro pvp'r (but old school UO player) i think the concept of DayZ is very cool.....when you die you have to start from scratch and lose everything.....in this same concept i think 1v1, 2v2 and so on is just wrong.....when you say HC it has to be just that......you get swarmed by 10 people....you die.....simple.

I am not sure if i am going to play dayz but i realy like the concept so far.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Well..Theres Dont Starve and FTL. Been playing those two for a fair bit. 

Both of them involve restarting over every time you die.  Dont Starve is a bit more forgiving though since it allows you to keep anything youve researched for your next playthrough.  Not like it helps very much since research is pretty friggin easy. 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• I like it for single player games (XCOM: Enemy Unknown for example) but not for online games where I always die of latency and disconnects rather than of my own mistakes.

It also depends a lot on the type of game whether it even makes sense in the first place.