Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Minecraft makes fools of MMO companies

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by laokoko

ok so minecraft is a mmorpg?  I dont' see it at the mmorpg listing.

Considering an individual minecraft server can hold thousands of players and some frequently hit 1000 users online, and that DOTA is listed but supports what, 10 people at once, yeah it should be on this list as much as many other titles should be.

El Psy Congroo

• Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by EccentricPenguin
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    minecraft also looks like an un-fun version of some backshelf b-title from the 20's.

Minecraft has also sold over 6 times as many copies as Guild Wars 2.  Over 18 million last I looked.  So it is rather funny to me when people say it looks un-fun and like a terrible game from the past, when a new game with supposed innovation and quality graphics (lol culling fail), sells far, far less, while costing much more to both produce and purchase.

Yeah, Minecraft.  Better selling, more innovative, and far more influential than GW2.

Whether it sold over 6 times more copies as GW2 or 600 times more copies, just shows how much overpopulation is going on around the world, dang 3-10 age range of those players...It looks like crap, the things you build look like crap, so why do it? I honestly don't see how that game could be entertaining to anyone other than a small child. Like it was said earlier, just buy legos.

Even as a small child I knew it was LEGO.  I also knew the plural was LEGO.  It is not legos.

As for Minecraft, given that players can create as much as they can imagine and get as complex and impressive as they can think, I feel bad that you think the things that can be built are crap a 10 year old would do ;)

Also, that you can't see how any other person can enjoy something when millions do in fact purchase and enjoy it, is a failure of your own mind, not a problem of anyone elses making.

Which is correct as the plural of LEGO: 'Lego' or 'Legos'? Neither, actually. The word 'LEGO', when used as a noun, should only refer to the company that makes the product. Otherwise 'LEGO' is supposed to be used as an adjective. Thus, when referring to the pieces, neither 'lego' nor 'legos' is correct... rather one should say: 'LEGO bricks' or 'LEGO pieces' or whatever (using LEGO as an adjective -- and one should really capitalize all of the letters, and put the little 'circle-R' symbol after it (®)). This is all a matter of protecting the trademark of 'LEGO' for the company (using it otherwise degenerates the strength of the trademark). This is not to say that I use the word correctly 100% of the time... but that's the answer to the question (it's always fun/painful to read the near-flame-wars that start at slashdot.org over this topic... and generally, both sides are wrong).

Just had to throw that in there. Yes obviously people find it fun and purchase it, but apparently I cannot wrap my mind around why the hell someone would want to waste money on it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Again spot the freeloaders who've only played free version of minecraft. ^^^^^

Just had to throw that in there. Yes obviously people find it fun and purchase it, but apparently I cannot wrap my mind around why the hell someone would want to waste money on it.

Perhaps as with the case of many, many gamers, the spending of money on a fun game isn't a waste?  Especially one relatively inexpensive and with staggering possibilities, free patches and updates, as well as an active modding community?

Just a thought.  I did appreciate your explanation about LEGO at least.

El Psy Congroo

• Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Again spot the freeloaders who've only played free version of minecraft. ^^^^^

if referring to me the extent of my minecraft experience is youtube videos thanks.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    LOL-minecraft is like doodling, you draw pretty pictures you ohh and ahhh but in the end you do not take it seriously

Have you ever heard of this thing called art?  You know, where they draw pretty pictures sometimes and hundreds of years later are still talked about?

Also, it is very funny to me that you think it's laughable as a game, but that millions, nearly 20 million people, consider it worth buying.  Compare that to some of the latest big MMO releases and...

I play an MMO to play the MMO.  Not sit around for hundreds of years commenting on it.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member

Considering an individual minecraft server can hold thousands of players and some frequently hit 1000 users online, and that DOTA is listed but supports what, 10 people at once, yeah it should be on this list as much as many other titles should be.

It's not an RPG in any sense of the word though.

You make me like charity

Perhaps as with the case of many, many gamers, the spending of money on a fun game isn't a waste?  Especially one relatively inexpensive and with staggering possibilities, free patches and updates, as well as an active modding community?

I don't mean to come off as rude, or degrading towards those who play it. I know my son has quite a few friends who play it (all 3rd - 4th graders). I just personally don't get it. I'm sure people get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it, and honestly that's all that matters. Everyone is entitled to enjoy themselves however they please!

Originally posted by asmkm22

Ah, so ignoring RPG video game conventions like looting items, levelling up, pvp, crafting, trading with NPCs?

Or did you mean role playing like pretending to be really in the world, which people also do?

Or did you mean Rocket Propelled Grenade, which I'm sure some fan mod has added to the game?

Actually, what the hell do you mean?  ha

El Psy Congroo

I don't mean to come off as rude, or degrading towards those who play it. I know my son has quite a few friends who play it (all 3rd - 4th graders). I just personally don't get it. I'm sure people get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it, and honestly that's all that matters. Everyone is entitled to enjoy themselves however they please!

Ah, so your son is playing minecraft - required coursework in some schools.  He's playing a game worthy to be educational, as well as generally well reviewedt and considered fun by millions.  He does this willingly, and with friends.

Yet you call it a waste.

El Psy Congroo

• Bruise187Bruise187 Corning, ARPosts: 340Member Uncommon
    minecraft also looks like an un-fun version of some backshelf b-title from the 20's.

Minecraft has also sold over 6 times as many copies as Guild Wars 2.  Over 18 million last I looked.  So it is rather funny to me when people say it looks un-fun and like a terrible game from the past, when a new game with supposed innovation and quality graphics (lol culling fail), sells far, far less, while costing much more to both produce and purchase.

Yeah, Minecraft.  Better selling, more innovative, and far more influential than GW2.

Whether it sold over 6 times more copies as GW2 or 600 times more copies, just shows how much overpopulation is going on around the world, dang 3-10 age range of those players...It looks like crap, the things you build look like crap, so why do it? I honestly don't see how that game could be entertaining to anyone other than a small child. Like it was said earlier, just buy legos.

So you have never played it but want to bash it here is what I get from your post?

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I'm not your friend.

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

Ah, so your son is playing minecraft - required coursework in some schools.  He's playing a game worthy to be educational, as well as generally well reviewedt and considered fun by millions.  He does this willingly, and with friends.

Yet you call it a waste.

Correction: He has friends that play it. He does not play it.

Originally posted by asmkm22

Guess you havent seen the hash/slash/mine mod out there have you.

I'm not your friend.

• Originally posted by Bruise187

So you have never played it but want to bash it here is what I get from your post?

You build things, end of story. Don't need to understand much more than that to know I don't like it. 

Yet you call it a waste.

Ah.  My mistake.  I see the waste then.  A wasted opportunity ;)

In any event, did you know someone built an ASCII word processor in Minecraft?  You could say they have imagination, drive, excellent planning skills, and all sorts of qualities that could translate into the real world.  There are hundreds of amazing things done in Minecraft.

It is a waste that you haven't found them yet ;)

El Psy Congroo

Originally posted by Bruise187

You build things, end of story. Don't need to understand much more than that to know I don't like it. 

Yup your right. Who wants a game that lets you do anything you want in it. there is no fun in that game at all. we should ban it from ever being spoken again. You sir are correct. cant fix stupid i guess

I'm not your friend.

Yet you call it a waste.

In any event, did you know someone built an ASCII word processor in Minecraft?  You could say they have imagination, drive, excellent planning skills, and all sorts of qualities that could translate into the real world.  There are hundreds of amazing things done in Minecraft.

It's a waste they don't actually translate them into the real world. ;)

• Originally posted by Bruise187

Yup your right, there is no fun in that game at all. we should bang it from being spoken again. You sir are correct. cant fix stupid i guess

I like how opinion quickly becomes "stupid" I should have seen that coming from the beer/chainsaw.

Yup your right, there is no fun in that game at all. we should bang it from being spoken again. You sir are correct. cant fix stupid i guess

Hey now that isn't true.  If you want to educate and improve someone's thinking...

Have them play Minecraft!

El Psy Congroo

Yet you call it a waste.

Ah, I see you've met every person who has played Minecraft and are an expert in education who could probably start advising multiple countries how to better run their schools.

Sorry,  I had thought you were just out of touch at first.  My mistake ;)

El Psy Congroo

• laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member

Minecraft shows people rather play lego than mmorpg.  MMORPG is overated.

Yet you call it a waste.

Ah, I see you've met every person who has played Minecraft and are an expert in education who could probably start advising multiple countries how to better run their schools.

Sorry,  I had thought you were just out of touch at first.  My mistake ;)

No problem, everyone makes mistakes.

Hey now that isn't true.  If you want to educate and improve someone's thinking...

Have them play Minecraft!

He already pretty much said he would rather die than play it so let em be

I'm not your friend.

Sometimes I wonder if early conversations between cavemen went like this thread has.

One saying to the other something like "don't play with rocks, they're useless to us"

Then when the other uses the rocks to make the first campfire....

Now today, people are saying no point in learning "city planning, environmental awareness, preparing for the future and completing goals."

I just shrug, and make fire ;)

El Psy Congroo

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,318Member Uncommon

Just out of curiousity how many units has minecraft actually sold? 

Last time I looked for it, it was around 6 million units howver not all those were the full game, there was a trial or free version or somthing like that.

In this thread alone people have said 4, 6, 9 and now 18 million (I doubt the last one but it is possible).

Anyone have any actual links with actual numbers from reliable people?

edit - well this site says 9 million.  Probably farily reliable :)

https://minecraft.net/stats

Where did you get 18 milllion?

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.